Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:30:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Hurricane Katrina thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hurricane Katrina thread  (Read 32666 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2005, 06:38:29 PM »

Alot of people couldnt leave because they didn't have the money to leave. Its a horrific situation. Bush needs to get off his ass and send supplies to the region. Time is being wasted. I just heard on the news that Russia, Germany, UK, and France have offered assistance. This is a step in the right direction. Maybe they read my first post in this thread and wised up. Cheesy I have a question for you people here that aren't americans. I read on the internet that in foreign countries they are announcing that there is up to 50,000 dead and they are showing graphic footage on foreign news channels. They are also saying that the american media wont show this because we couldn't handle it. Are you guys seeing this footage? Are they really saying tens of thousands dead?

havent heard that number in New Zealand, but they are saying it could be thousands. It's also being reported that thousands are being left high n dry by the government

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
SLCPUNK
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2005, 07:09:09 PM »

"In times of tragedy, the U.S. always stands alone. But you would think that other countries would at least acknowledge the disaster. Its shameful."

jameslofton29

Thursday September 01, 2005 11:57 - (SA)

PARIS - France is prepared to send humanitarian and military aid to the United States to help the country cope with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, one of the most devastating storms in that country's history.

"Our operational humanitarian aid group is going to meet to study the civilian and military means that France could make available from French regions and the French West Indes," said a foreign ministry spokesman, Denis Simmoneau.

He said several French citizens were trapped in New Orleans, one of the cities worst hit by the storm and subsequent flooding, but there were no known French fatalities.

"From our crisis unit, which is going to Baton Rouge from Lafayette, we are following the situation of the French people we know about," Simmoneau said.

President Jacques Chirac on Wednesday sent a letter to his US counterpart, George W. Bush, expressing his "heartfelt emotion" at the ravages of Hurricane Katrina, which is believed to have killed hundreds, maybe thousands, of people and destroyed billions of dollars of property in the southwest United States.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 03:46:18 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2005, 07:17:11 PM »

"Those dawn french" are helping you, you should be happy instead of criticizing us.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
SLCPUNK
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2005, 07:49:27 PM »

"In times of tragedy, the U.S. always stands alone. But you would think that other countries would at least acknowledge the disaster. Its shameful."

jameslofton29

Canada searches for ways to help U.S. oil industry

By Jeffrey Jones 1 hour, 14 minutes ago

CALGARY, Alberta (Reuters) - Canada's oil companies are considering pushing back autumn maintenance at refineries as one way to help alleviate U.S. gasoline shortages caused by Hurricane Katrina, an industry official said on Thursday.

However, there are no specific emergency provisions within the North American Free Trade Agreement under which more petroleum products or crude oil can be shipped to the United States, said Greg Stringham, vice-president of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.

"We'll do whatever we can, as is humanly possible. If they can help identify what the needs are, we'll try and meet them," Stringham told Reuters.

CAPP, the industry's main lobby group, was involved in talks with the Canadian, Alberta and U.S. governments on Thursday to determine ways to lessen the energy crisis that has followed the hurricane's rampage through the Gulf of Mexico.

Canada jockeys with Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Venezuela as top oil supplier to the United States and is the No. 1 foreign natural gas supplier. The industry normally produces every drop all it can, so has little extra fuel in reserve to send.

Pushing back maintenance at refineries as well as at pipelines will keep Canada's capacity to supply U.S. markets as large as possible when the supplies are needed most, Stringham said.

Canadian
Prime Minister Paul Martin said he had asked Alberta Premier Ralph Klein if there are ways the country's biggest oil-producing province can help the U.S. energy situation.

"The premier said he would look at this," Martin told reporters in Calgary.

"What we're doing is to simply say to Canadians in a wide range of areas: 'Look, is there something, that if the Americans request it, or it is needed, that you could do?"'

Crude production in the Gulf of Mexico remained cut by more than 90 percent three days after Katrina ripped through the region. Eight refineries in the area were shut down and 11 others were operating at reduced rates.

Most Canadian oil exports to the United States are shipped via the Enbridge Inc. pipeline to the Midwest.

"The biggest thing that seems to be out right now is the refinery capacity down there (the Gulf Coast), and they are also having problems getting oil from the Gulf Coast to some of the Midwest refineries," Stringham said.

He cautioned, however, that Canada already produces as much crude, petroleum products and natural gas as capacity allows.

Enbridge spokesman Jim Rennie said the company's 2 million barrel a day mainline, the world's longest petroleum pipeline system, is pumping near capacity, a situation that had already prompted expansion plans. Those are not close to completion.

High oil and gas prices will spark more drilling in the already-booming western Canada producing region, but Stringham said additional output will take time.

Even before the hurricane damaged U.S. Gulf production facilities, Canadian markets were bracing for record high natural gas prices amid tight North American supplies.

Canada, as a member of the International Energy Agency, would take part in emergency oil sharing operations, but those are to be used in longer-term disruptions, Stringham said.

In addition to oil and gas, officials are discussing sending Canadian power utility crews to help restore the electricity needed to run Gulf Coast refineries and pipelines.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2005, 08:04:23 PM »

New Orleans' top emergency management official called that effort a "national disgrace" and questioned when reinforcements would actually reach the increasingly lawless city.

About 15,000 to 20,000 people who had taken shelter at New Orleans convention center to await buses grew increasingly hostile. Police Chief Eddie Compass said he sent in 88 officers to quell the situation at the building, but they were quickly driven back by an angry mob.

"We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are getting beaten," Compass said. "Tourists are walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon."

A military helicopter tried to land at the convention center several times to drop off food and water. But the rushing crowd forced the choppers to back off. Troopers then tossed the supplies to the crowd from 10 feet off the ground and flew away.

In hopes of defusing the situation at the convention center, Nagin gave the refugees permission to march across a bridge to the city's unflooded west bank for whatever relief they could find. But the bedlam made that difficult.

"Right now we are out of resources at the convention center and don't anticipate enough buses," Nagin said in a statement.

At least seven bodies were scattered outside the convention center, a makeshift staging area for those rescued from rooftops, attics and highways. The sidewalks were packed with people without food, water or medical care, and with no sign of law enforcement.

An old man in a chaise lounge lay dead in a grassy median as hungry babies wailed around him. Around the corner, an elderly woman lay dead in her wheelchair, covered up by a blanket, and another body lay beside her wrapped in a sheet.

"I don't treat my dog like that," 47-year-old Daniel Edwards said as he pointed at the woman in the wheelchair.

"You can do everything for other countries, but you can't do nothing for your own people," he added. "You can go overseas with the military, but you can't get them down here."

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2005, 08:04:50 PM »

Yes, I realize that this is a horrible tragedy and politics should be left out but when you look at the Bush response to the Florida Hurricanes of 2004 there is a vast difference.? In 04 Bush declared Florida a disaster area before the first storm was over, troops were already stationed nearby and the aid package was out of this world.? Why the difference?? 2004 was an election year and Bush badly needed FLA voters and brother Jeb is the govener.? Bush needed to endear himself to the citizens of Florida because no FLA = no 2nd term.

Bush declared New Orleans and the Mississippi coast disaster areas before the storm also before the storm came so emergency crews could mobilize and be in ready positions after Katrina. I`m just stating the facts. Bush is in many ways is not one of our most brilliant leaders, but your statement is simply not accurate.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Surfrider
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2005, 10:45:26 PM »

We sure do appreciate the help that the rest of the world is offering.  Most knew it was only a matter of time before the support came.  Those that criticize the rest of the world are just as bad as those that blame the tragedy on the war in Iraq.  Idiots. 

To those in countries offering help, Thanks.

peace
SLCPUNK
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2005, 10:53:05 PM »

" Those Damn French! Fuck them for not supporting our war!!!!"

"Those dawn french" are helping you, you should be happy instead of criticizing us.

sar?casm      (s?rkzm)  KEY 

NOUN:

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
   2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
   3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit 1.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 03:45:51 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2005, 03:38:27 AM »

jameslofton29

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Also, the Singapore embassy said the Southeast Asian country was sending three Chinook helicopters with 38 air force personnel from military exercises in Texas, to Louisiana to support relief efforts by the Texas National Guard.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/01/AR2005090101542_2.html
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 03:45:18 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2005, 05:02:55 AM »

'Unsanitary and unsafe'

Blanco said Thursday she has requested the mobilization of 40,000 National Guard troops to restore order and assist in relief efforts.

A humanitarian catastrophe unfolded at the convention center, where thousands of increasingly frustrated people waited for help amid dead bodies, feces and garbage.

Numerous bodies could be seen, both inside and outside the facility, and one man died of a seizure while a CNN crew was at the scene.

A National Guard helicopter dropped food and water Thursday afternoon, although the amount was far short of enough to meet the needs of the throngs that had gathered.

Nagin advised those gathered at the center to march over the Crescent City Connection bridge to the west bank of the Mississippi River to find relief in neighboring Jefferson Parish.

"The convention center is unsanitary and unsafe, and we are running out of supplies," said Nagin, adding that officials did not expect to have enough buses for evacuations.

Brown told CNN Thursday evening that federal officials only found out about the convention center crisis earlier in the day, and that he had since directed that "all available resources" be made available there.

Boat rescue teams looking for Katrina survivors told CNN they had been ordered to stand down Thursday by FEMA officials concerned about security.

However, FEMA issued a statement from Washington denying it had suspended operations, though the agency conceded there had been "isolated incidents where security has become an issue."

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said that the Coast Guard has rescued about 3,000 people from flooded areas in New Orleans and the surrounding parishes.

At the city's airport, a field hospital set up by FEMA was "overwhelmed" with patients, a medical team commander said.

Equipment normally used to move luggage was instead ferrying patients to a treatment center and to planes and buses for evacuation.

"I do not have the words in my vocabulary to describe what is happening here," said Ozro Henderson. "'Catastrophe' and 'disaster' don't explain it."

- CNN
Surfrider
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2005, 10:12:20 AM »

What on earth does it mean when some official says that the national guard can't go in to the convention center yet because they might be going "in harm's way." Last night on MSNBC, a reporter in NO said she saw a bus turn away a mom and kids because it was reserved to take police out of town. Helicopters aren't landing because somebody shot at them.

This is, excuse me, just bullshit. It is the job of the national guard to go in harm's way. That's why they carry guns. The police should leave last, not first. I know there are many heros in NO and I respect them, and praise them. But this idea that the city has to be made safe before the people who should be making it safe can go in, has to stop. Does the NYFD and NYPD have to go down there to show them how it is done?
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »

Before and after Katrina (in N.O):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/new-orleans-imagery.htm

In memory of New Orleans (I took these pictures during Christmas 2003):

SLCPUNK
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2005, 11:38:10 AM »

Wow, those pictures bring back memories. What a great city New Orleans was. I mean, I really loved that place. So much culture......

I have nothing but contempt for these people in the city shooting up like the wild west. I believe that they should be killed on the spot if possible. I saw on CNN yesterday that they were just trying to "protect the police station" from these scum. That is how bad it has gotten. How many elderly and children are dying in the street because help is not able to get to them while these guys rape and beat down people and steal appliances in the street? If these people open fire or attack, shoot to kill. Total scum! rant
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2005, 11:48:48 AM »

People often make the assumption "it wouldn't happen here" when they seem something like people looting stores and killing each other in countries far away from home.

But it can happen anywhere! It has just been proven.

We're supposed to be "civilized" and look what's going on in New Orleans!

Somebody compared the city to a third world city in the paper.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »

These SCUM OF THE EARTH who are beating, stealing and raping should be killed on the spot, or if taken alive tried for treason.

In the stadium people are going to the bathroom on the floor because of rapes occuring in the bathroom. Today a lady gave birth to a child, only to have that child die because no medical care is available. No medical care is available because of the violence that has overtaken the city and people can't come in to help.

I can not fathom how human beings could resort to this when everybody needs to help one another.

By attacking their fellow citizens, making the city less safe, thus bringing healthcare and aid to a halt, these fuckers are committing treason in my opinion. It is a direct and indirect attack on our citizens.

We need troops down there NOW, thousands and thousands of troops to secure this, and take that city back.

I can't believe that this has spun out of control like this.

Dry Heat
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2005, 12:48:38 PM »

I wonder how the situation would be handled if this happened in New York, Los Angeles, etc. where there is money?  This is happening in the deep south...I'm begining to think the U. S. Government doesn't care what happens to these people.  This is just my opinion after watching the news for the past several days.  They should be able to get in there and take control, but they aren't doing that   Angry
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2005, 01:12:36 PM »

I wonder how the situation would be handled if this happened in New York, Los Angeles, etc. where there is money?  This is happening in the deep south...I'm begining to think the U. S. Government doesn't care what happens to these people.  This is just my opinion after watching the news for the past several days.  They should be able to get in there and take control, but they aren't doing that   Angry

lamo..... cough cough  oil production..... no oil country die....... walks away shaking head

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2005, 01:36:55 PM »

Yesterday there were snipers shooting at the people trying to rescue preemie babies and the very ill.  Armed gangs roaming the streets.  Chaos rules.

I think that we see that the US govt. is still a racist entity.  They don't care how many poor blacks die.  It's almost like they are running a social experiment on just how much a person can take before they snap.  Before anyone jumps my ass on this just look at the former Yugo situation in Albania.  We went in there to prevent the genocide of white Euros but have continued to sit by and watch Sudan and do nothing. 
Sterlingdog
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2005, 02:13:47 PM »

I don't like Bush, never have, and think he's a terrible president.  But I don't think there was any evil intentions on his part in this case.  I think he was truly clueless, along with most of his advisors, about what was needed in N.O.  I think he figured he could treat it like a "normal" natural disaster...fly over, say a few words about prayers, declare a disaster area, and allow appropriate agencies to handle the relief and handing out the money.  Even the rescue workers figured they would do their thing, take people off rooftops, etc. and bring them to where they would get aid.  No one expected the total lack of communication among the officials and rescue workers.  No one expected the absolute lawlessnes that erupted.  Perhaps they should have, considering this disaster hit a very high crime area.  For those who think of New Orleans with fondness, remember you are most likely talking about the French Quarter, Bourbon street, etc.  New Orleans is a big city with projects and inner city crime.  Those criminals didn't leave, they didn't become better people, and there's no law enforcement to keep them in check.  So I don't think its that the politicians don't care or are racist, even if they don't care as human beings, they care as politicians who want to get re-elected some day.  I think they had no idea how bad it was going to get.  But I'm glad the Mayor stopped being a politician for awhile and got forcefull in his words toward the government.  No one else seemed to be making them understand how bad it was. 
Dry Heat
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »

I watch CNN and Fox News and I don't remember which station it was on, but this reporter was on the street doing an interview and the police were driving up in an SUV.? The reporter stopped the police officer and asked him point blank when they were going to provide help for these people.? He had no comment and drove away!? WTF? Shocked

All these agencies are there helping but the real question is who, where and how are they helping?

As an average American, I find this situation unacceptable to have become what it has become.? This is showing the world that we are not prepared for any type of crisis.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: