Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:50:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227881 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The George Lucas SW Parallel??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The George Lucas SW Parallel??  (Read 5612 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« on: March 10, 2004, 05:49:05 PM »

Discuss.

Alright, I'll explain. Lucas created something bigger than what he ever could have possibly imagined with Star Wars. But, The original movies were never quite what he was happy with. He had these worlds, characters, and visions in his head but, due to the lack of technology, was never able to fully realize the imagery he wanted. Lucas said after Jedi, that he wouldn't be completing the movies until the technology gave him the tools necessary to fully realize these worlds and aliens that were necessary for the completion episodes.

Years went by, and no one ever expected shit because well, what technology would Lucas have now that he didn't then. But His company, ILM, and their advancements of CG, changed all that.

Lucas could now do whatever the fuck he could possibly want to. Create whatever he wanted. There was no more limits for him anymore. Expectations reached feverish levels. How could they not? This was a new Star Wars movie.

The result was The Phantom Menace. In all honesty, this wasn't a piece of crap. But certaintly couldn't hold a candle to what Lucas accomplished with the original Star Wars films. It was bloated. It lacked focus. It concentrated too heavily on the technology (the audio and video), the production and the effects. It didnt feel personal like the originals did.

By the time Chinese Democracy comes out, the same amount of time might pass since GNR's last original album. Axl, like Lucas, seems to have felt like he was being limited. But, instead of it being the technology that was limiting him, it was his old band.

Expectations will be probably be impossible for Chinese Democracy to meet. Maybe it will be GNR's The Phantom Menace. It certaintly is a Phantom.

But next summer comes the next (and probably last SW film). Episode 3 will arrive and with it comes the story that everyone has wanted to see since the very first SW. I believe it will be everything these movies have promised to be, and will be more Star Wars than Star Wars.

I can only hope the same for GNR's.

...thanks for letting me kill time at work. ITs Goddamn boring today.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
kujo722
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 06:02:55 PM »

Damn man, your boss must not be around if you had time to type all that.

It's an interesting comparison. While I loved the original Star Wars it had just as many flaws as the new additions do. I think the original trilogy had a better story and worse acting. With the new trilogy (so far) the actors are much better but the script is poor. Just my opinion.

To keep this GnR related, I hope Axl doesnt rely on technology for CD any where as near as George Lucas did. Just plug in the damn instruments, crank up the amps and play.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 06:13:19 PM »

i think we all know what axl really is waiting for.....

SLASH

hihi rofl

just kidding  peace

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 06:19:27 PM »

Rick James Bitch!

Ace_Vegas
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 06:20:42 PM »

I think I know what Axl is waiting for....

Vatican approval of his album.   smoking  
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 07:01:17 PM »

I've thought about this before and I think Axl might be in the same boat that Lucas is.

The expectations were way too high... and both guys seem very focused on the technology making their product the greatest thing ever.

GN'R - 3 Full Length Albums, 1st an outstanding groundbreaking hit.
Star Wars - 3 Films, 1st an outstanding groundbreaking hit.

New Gn'R - promising 3 full length albums
New Star Wars - 3 more movies
Both of these are using new methods that are different from the original trilogys.

Key players:  Axl and George... everyone else that made the originals loved are gone (With the exception of a few piddly characters like R2-D2 or Dizzy Reed).  Both have the master plan and think they can pull it off.

I'm on the fence about Star Wars, I'm waiting for the 3rd movie, but I think the technology in the new movies are very unrealisitic.  I'd prefer the aliens to be wearing masks again.

Axl's make or break will be Chinese Democracy, but the hype (at least from us) might be too much to satisfy.
lisaoreflex
Opening Act

Loved Axl from the beginning.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 01:47:08 AM »

I agree with Buddhamaster and Sky on Lucas and Axl.  Maybe George should produce and promote Axl and the new Guns. HAHAHAHA.

Chinese Democracy is going to get such horribly critical reviews when it comes out, that it is almost destined to doom, unless it is truly mind blowing.  I think before Axl puts it out he should have a second one ready so if it does bomb as bad as some people expect it to then the next year or so he can come out with one that (like Jungle) would totally blow the minds of the world. Even if it doesn't bomb he can come out again right away. Tour and have an awesomely perfect jaunt around the world blowing the minds of naysayers and gaining fans in unimaginable numbers then retire on the top of it all. Then he can sit back and laugh.  hihi

Music brings the world together in one united sound.
Let's unite and ROCK the world.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 02:24:21 AM »

Nothing beats Prince playing basketball.  I'm telling you man that nigga can ball! hihi
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 08:28:15 AM »

Well I can understand where ur coming from but this music not HOLLYWOOD lol. But yeah I get ya.

EEEERRRR Little boy
gnrgoblue
Headliner

how did it come to this?

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 03:48:47 PM »

Although it really is apples and oranges, I think it's worth noting that George Lucas has always been considered -- both by peers within the industry and critics -- to be an untalanted hack, creating idiotic, simple, two-dimensional cartoons void of any narrative depth, meaningful conflict or originality. Find me a positive review of any Star Wars movie and I'll show you either a geeky fan who still plays with his Chewie toys or a respected reviewer who thinks the movie in question is superficially "fun," but nowhere near high art.

Axl, meanhile, while not exactly Bach, has always been well respected by other rock musicians as well as the rock press. Everyone has grown tired of his bullshit, but, without exception, with regard to the level of talent he demonstrates in his performances and writing, he always generates great praise.

Anyway, my opinion is that it isn't fair to compare Lucas to Axl Rose. That would be like finding a comparison between Quentin Tarantino and New Kids on the Block.

Just my thoughts. I know Star Wars people are cultish, geeky and defensive, so, if any are reading this, I mean no offense to Lucas.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 08:33:11 PM »

Although it really is apples and oranges, I think it's worth noting that George Lucas has always been considered -- both by peers within the industry and critics -- to be an untalanted hack.... Axl, meanhile, while not exactly Bach, has always been well respected by other rock musicians as well as the rock press... it isn't fair to compare Lucas to Axl Rose.

interesting twist  yes

Just my thoughts. I know Star Wars people are cultish, geeky and defensive, so, if any are reading this, I mean no offense to Lucas.

rofl
Dude...  wtf!?  That was a hell of a pre-emptive apology!  Tongue
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 02:17:13 AM »

Although it really is apples and oranges, I think it's worth noting that George Lucas has always been considered -- both by peers within the industry and critics -- to be an untalanted hack, creating idiotic, simple, two-dimensional cartoons void of any narrative depth, meaningful conflict or originality. Find me a positive review of any Star Wars movie and I'll show you either a geeky fan who still plays with his Chewie toys or a respected reviewer who thinks the movie in question is superficially "fun," but nowhere near high art.

Alright, I'll play along.

Chewie on these links my friend.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/StarWars-1020005/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheEmpireStrikesBack-1006605/

My point? You will be hardpressed to find many films better "reviewed."

And shit fool. I love getting stoned to Star Wars. It is "high art" from a certain point of view. And you can't tell me you never heard of anyone calling Axl a no talent hack (among other things) by peers and those in the industry. Please. If anything you helped validate the similarities. Its all subjective but nonetheless.

Look at what is to come.

From Lucas, is the upcoming Episode 3. This stands to be his film of reckoning.

Now, doesn't Axl's?

gnrgoblue
Headliner

how did it come to this?

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 11:44:49 AM »

Man, I should have known better. You Star Wars nerds are militant about this stuff.

Did you glance at any of those reviews before you pasted those links? Give a few of them a read and compare what you read there to what you read here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/FindingNemo-1122673/

See any similarities? All three movies are "fun for the whole family" and "popcorn-munching adventures."

Compare what you read in those reviews to what you read in these:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheGodfather-1008458/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Amadeus-1000729/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheLordoftheRingsTheReturnoftheKing-1127213/reviews.php

With the very occasional exception of the third one there, you'll not find many people who say one of any of these films' best qualities is that it is "great for the kids" or that it has "cool special effects." There are fun, family movies and there are great ones. There is John Grisham or Danielle Steele and there is Edgar Allen Poe or F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Don't get me wrong about the Star Wars movies. I reviewed them precisely the way most of the people on that site did: positive score with a recommendation to bring the kids. But that's the same type of review you'll read for a Backstreet Boys concert. So if the Backstreet Boys sold a record-breaking amount of albums and played shows that 95 percent of reviewers found superficially entertaining, does that make their product a worthy contribution to world art? I think not. Would these reviewers call the concert fun and entertaining in one breath and in the next acknowledge that the Backstreet Boys are no-talent hacks? You bet they do.

Regarding whether Axl has ever found his name on the wrong side of a review, I didn't mean to suggest that literally every single person who has ever heard his music thinks it is the reinvention of the wheel, only that he has always generated a tremendous amount of praise, and still does, despite his best efforts to vanish into nothingness. And, to be clear, I don't think Axl's contribution to the music world is even remotely close to the contributions made by the movies I referenced above. I would say he's somewhere in the middle, a genuine musical talent that has also achieved commercial success.

You like getting high to Star Wars and think that's proof it is great filmmaking? I liked getting high in the lockerroom after gym class. Does that make that stinky little dump the Louvre?

I'm not sure what you're asking in your last question, but it appears as if you're pointing out that both Lucas and Axl have wasted much of their careers swimming in their money and not adding to their respective bodies of work. I would say that's very, very true. I do think that Lucas could have made several more movies and that Axl could be working on his seventh or eighth full-length original album rather than his fourth.
MCT
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 02:08:12 PM »

I heard that Lucas is Axl's old man..........

..........oh! And Sky has six toes on his left foot........
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 12:39:50 AM »

Well, alright then.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: