Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:41:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Mick Wall interview: Talks about Axl / CD
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mick Wall interview: Talks about Axl / CD  (Read 13611 times)
providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2004, 05:47:18 PM »

Man, what a bunch of crybabies.
cubsfan77
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2004, 06:05:46 PM »

If Mick Wall and Axl hate each other so much, how the fuck did he hear tracks from Chinese Democracy? No one has been able to hear these tracks and somehow this moron hears them? He probably heard the Blues and Madgascar, like everyone else. What a major league douchebag Mick Wall is!
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2004, 06:20:42 PM »

All the Axl bullshit aside, Mick Wall is a fantastic Rock and Roll journalist.

And even if he is bitter, i think there are elements of truth in there.

Axl has burnt a lot of bridges in the past and theres no sign that he is about to stop soon.

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2004, 06:29:15 PM »

Spaghetti Incident released in 1995 was it?Huh?

More like 1993.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2004, 07:21:56 PM »

I take issue (and always have) with the idea that a certain piece of music would have been AWESOME five years ago but would somehow be dated and bland today. I could never be convinced in a million years that if Sweet Child O' Mine or Kashmir (Zeplin) or Ruby Tuesday (Stones) or Back in Black (ACDC) were to be released for the first time tomorrow... they wouldn't hit number 1 within 3-4 weeks. Either a piece of rock music is THAT good or it was never good at all. This isn't N'SYNC we're talkin' about here. So, if Mick did by chance hear some of Axl's music in 98-99 that he thought was "pretty good"... chances are it STILL is "pretty good"... why? BECAUSE IT IS AND FOREVER WILL BE GOOD.

That being said, I have to say that I share Wall's skepticism about CD ever seeing the light of day unfortunately. no

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2004, 07:39:49 PM »

Rose has fired band members since then and cancelled many tours. He refuses to put out new recorded songs as he believes they are substandard.

I love the way this is stated as fact.   Roll Eyes

Edit...I mean the last part by the way.   Wink
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 07:45:27 PM by Sukie » Logged
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2004, 08:07:12 PM »

Spaghetti Incident released in 1995 was it?Huh?

More like 1993.

Yeah it was released on November 23, 1993.

I think this guy is so off when he says how the music would have worked great in the 90' but no now.  Roll Eyes This is the kinda of music we need today. Still how can anyone tell without even hearing the dam album yet. But I'm sure it will be great along with the albums after it.  Smiley

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2004, 03:30:50 AM »

mick wall what a moron and that fuckin idiot who took hanoi over gnr cause hanoi were more real? what a fuckin dipshit!

my quote to axl "may the bridges u burn light the way"

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2004, 03:53:23 AM »

Mick shut the fuck up and stop embarassing yourself

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2004, 04:24:23 AM »

Easy there. On this very site there is a (rollinstone?) thing where they meet axl and he plays them song. He(axl) says he's going to put some guitar here and there in the prosess. It's in the articles around the oh my god times. I think they start with saying him look more solid built than the sweet child days

He (axl) played them severals songs and there is also mentoned titles we haven't heard. So mick may talk true\ or other press people have given him a review of that meeting

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
kockstar99
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2004, 04:46:15 AM »

Easy there. On this very site there is a (rollinstone?) thing where they meet axl and he plays them song. He(axl) says he's going to put some guitar here and there in the prosess. It's in the articles around the oh my god times. I think they start with saying him look more solid built than the sweet child days

He (axl) played them severals songs and there is also mentoned titles we haven't heard. So mick may talk true\ or other press people have given him a review of that meeting

I dont think that was Mick Wall...
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2004, 05:14:49 AM »

I edited a interview. Here's some highlights\ enjoy  ok

In his first interview in six years, Axl Rose talks about rebuilding Guns N Roses for the new century.
It is 2AM in dimly lit recording studio deep in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley. Sitting back on a couch in the control room is a once omnipresent rock figure who has been out of the public view for most of the last decade. The music he's been playing on this long night has been the focus of his obsessive perfectionism since 1991, when Guns N Roses last released an album of new material.

But in late November, Axl Rose plays nearly a dozen tracks from the long in the works Guns N` Roses album for Rolling Stone and gave his first substantial interview in more than six years.

He was only an hour late to do so. Occasionally getting up to whisper details about what still must be done to complete the tracks- ''I gotta put some guitar here!'' - Rose comes across as intense but hardly humorless as he speaks at length about his music and the fate of his former band mates.

At 36 Rose looks a bit older and more solidly built than the lean rock god of his ''Sweet Child O' Mine'' days, the result perhaps not just of the passage of time but of his kickboxing regimen and a lifestyle that's said to be largely nocturnal but zealously healthy.

He's dressed tonight in Abercrombie & Fitch, with his reddish hair intact and cut to a Prince Valiant-ish mid-length. Having failed to deliver a new album by the end of the twentieth century, is Rose ready to commit to releasing a record sometime during the twenty-first?

''Yes, I think that would definitely be the right time,'' he answers, a slight grin coming to his face.

The new Guns N Roses album is tentatively titled Chinese Democracy and loosely scheduled for summer 2000.

''As far as I can tell,'' says GnR's manager Doug Goldstein, ''we are now 99% musically done and 80% vocals done. I see the record being done Feb or March for a summer release.''

But time is of little consequence in the world of Axl Rose.

In passing, Rose mentions that he recently ''cancelled Thanksgiving'' delaying his celebration a few days until it better suited his timetable. ''I'm trying not to do that with Christmas,'' he adds, ''since New Years comes up right away.''

From time to time, Rose gets up to pace the studio where he has spent the last year recording and re-recording material (his workday tends to start around midnight and run through the early daylight hours). ''What we're trying to do is build Guns N` Roses back into something,'' Rose explains quietly as he stands in front of a sunken isolation booth.

''This wasn't Guns N` Roses, but I feel it is Guns N` Roses now.''

Furthermore, because the new material has been composed collaboratively with the new players, he insists, ''It's not an Axl Rose album, even if it's what I wanted it to be. Everybody is putting everything they've got into singing and building. Maybe I'm helping steer it to what it should be built like.''

Throughout the night, Rose seems anxious to finally have his say but wishes he could wait until the new album is released and can ''speak for itself.''

According to Rose, part of the delay in building the new model of Guns N` Roses has been ''educating myself'' about the technology that's come to define rock in the nineties: ''It's like from scratch, learning how to work with something and not wanting it just to be something you did on a computer.''

By 1996, Slash was gone; Izzy Stradlin was long gone. Duff McKagen officially quit in 1998. They were replaced by a shifting group of collaborators, who've helped Rose create music that plays to his old strengths while also playing catchup. ''Oh My God'' - the industrial flavored track that surfaced on the End of Days soundtrack - is only one hint of what's to come.

Imagine Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor, and you'll have some sense of Axl's new sound.

Song after song combines the edgy hard rock force and pop smarts of vintage Guns N Roses with surprisingly modern and ambitious music textures. In addition to the album's almost grungy title track, tentative song titles include ''Catcher in the Rye,'' ''I.R.S,'' ''The Blues'' and ''TWAT,'' which he says stands for ''there was a time.''

Another song, called ''Oklahoma'' - heard tonight only as an instrumental - was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly. ''I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing,'' Rose remembers with a wince. ''We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal.''

Rose seems estranged from many old associates -

Everything I've heard is spectacular. It's exciting and diverse and - I think - absolutely well worth the wait.''

The rebuilding - and ongoing reinvention - of Guns N Roses has been a difficult and, quite obviously, slow and expensive process. Rose does point out that the expense will be less glaring if, as he expects, he gets another record out of the hours and hours of material he's committed to tape, possibly one that's even more industrial and electronica-influence than Chinese Democracy. ''I'd like to take some of the old Guns fans along with me gradually into the twenty-first century,'' he says. Along the way, assorted producers - including Youth (the Verve) and the loose lipped Moby (''I appreciate all the publicity he's been getting us, but...

Having stayed publicly silent so long, Rose appears to view the album as a final offering\ he want's seymores son to grow up listening\ come across to CD

As for his reputation as a recluse locked away mysteriously at his Malibu estate, Rose says, ''The reality is that I'm not clubbing because I don't find it's in my best interest to be out there. I am building something slowly, and it doesn't seem to be much out there as in here, in the studio and in my home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kockstar99
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2004, 05:26:32 AM »

I edited a interview. Here's some highlights\ enjoy  ok

I remember this interview...always a good read... but i didnt think that was Mick Wall who did that interview... If it was my appologies to you,  I just didnt know it was Mick Wall who wrote this... I never really bothered to see who did...
MoonMax
Headliner

Moon Travel Free Of Charge!

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2004, 06:29:25 AM »

Chill out, damm!!!

Guys, why You want to kill anyone, who doesn't like Guns N' Roses? He might be right, face it!! Perhaps, GN'R will never be as good live band as they were, who knows(they wasn't last tour). Who knows the new material? Actually old band didn't creat anything new, they were more like quintesence of rock'n'roll days, so?

I'm not defending Mick Wall, I hope he's not right about asnything he said.

Cheers smoking
MoonMax

PS MaoAxl, if Ruby tuesday, Sweet Child... and so on, where premiered tommorow, they might be great hits, but woud never change the history like they did back then, and that's what we need if it comes to Chinese Democracy.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2004, 08:44:04 AM »

I remember this interview...always a good read... but i didnt think that was Mick Wall who did that interview... If it was my appologies to you,  I just didnt know it was Mick Wall who wrote this... I never really bothered to see who did...

It's not Mick Wall, Mick doesn't work for Rolling Stone Wink

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2004, 09:08:14 AM »

It's kerrang! Right?

According to get in the ring.

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2004, 11:39:59 AM »

It's kerrang! Right?

According to get in the ring.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but if it's the interview you posted above, it's from Rolling Stone  Wink

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2004, 11:48:55 AM »

I take issue (and always have) with the idea that a certain piece of music would have been AWESOME five years ago but would somehow be dated and bland today.

Agreed...Ive always been very uncomfortable with the notion that music can be dated.  Its a pointless concept, especially when you consider how many "post-modern" bands are defining the current soundscape.  It seems to many reviews Jet is modern and current, bt if AC/DC put out the same record, it would be dated.  Sure, there are certain musical touches that conjour a certain time period, but who cares?  Whatever is current now is going to be dated in 4 or 5 years anyway...so whats the point?  

The only aspect of music in which "dating" should come into play is actual recording.  

It's not Mick Wall, Mick doesn't work for Rolling Stone

Correct.  Its David Wild, Rolling Stone editor (and author of the Velvet Revolver biography).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 11:52:40 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2004, 02:39:29 PM »

Mick Wall is now the editor of Classic Rock Magazine.

Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2004, 03:45:51 PM »

Blah... Mick Wall is (and always was) just another hack journo who should be ignored instead of getting a reaction from his bitter standpoint.

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: