Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 02:10:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227883 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Some Thoughts About Brokeback Mountain/Sexuality
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some Thoughts About Brokeback Mountain/Sexuality  (Read 21543 times)
Markus Asraelius
« on: May 05, 2006, 12:53:21 PM »

So, my sister April, who is 28, doesn't care to see homosexuality on the television. And, she says it takes a strong person to be able to watch 'Brokeback Mountain.' However, she woulden't care say if I wanted to have sex with a man or be in a relationship with a man.

But, if you looked at when she grew up, she was definitely exposed (from television, movies, music) to straight sexuality and little bit of lesbian sexuality, but didn't really have that exposure to gay sexuality. Now, with me, I am about 7+ years younger than her so my exposure was just a little bit more. I was exposed to lots of straight sexuality, some lesbian sexuality and just a lil' bit of gay sexuality (from television, movies, music).

Going further into this subject, I was never taught about sexuality so I had to do my own exploring once I became old enough. Discovering where my sexuality stood mentally, then exploring it out there in the real world. And now that I have evolved into a man  Grin, I myself, have become one of the most open people about sexuality that I know.

So, the point of this thread is I'm wondering if people here believe that a person's discomfort with any sort of sexuality stems from their lack of exposure to it.

Now, just as clarification, I'm not saying that more exposure to gay/lesbian sexuality is gonna make you more gay , I'm just saying I think more exposure to it may make it seem less strange. I believe that sexuality is a gift and first starts to form around the time we're in high school and continues to evolve until the time we reach our mid-20's.

So, does anybody else feel this way?
godiva
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 01:42:57 PM »

I think it has a lot to do with the way you grow up, your parents?background and their openness and the country you live in. I feel that religion also has a bit to do with it. Most religions have a very adverse attitude towards sexuality, especially homosexuality. So, I do agree with you that age might have something to do with it (you are younger than your sister and according to yourself the sexual morale is more loose at the time you were young compared to her upbringing), but there are a lot more factors.

More exposure to homosexuality might lead to more openness, to re/phrase what you are saying. I think dialogue and discussion is more important than just exposure. It still amazes me that people can be very strong advocates of?banning?homosexuality in 06! I saw a program on television the other day of American gays trying hard to turn straight, because homosexuality is a ?bad thing?. One guy became suicidal and tried to kill himself twice. Why didn?t anybody talk to these boys? It just angers me...

well, my 2 cents. Do with it whatever you want.... ok
Sterlingdog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 03:45:01 PM »

You've picked a subject I love to talk about, why people act and think the way they do.

People's reactions to Brokeback Mountain are facinating to me.  I'm in California, where we are supposed to be liberal and open. Yet the number of people I know that flat refuse to see this movie is amazing.  They aren't "gay bashers" or openly homophobic.  They probably don't consider themselves anti-gay in any way.  But there is something so deep in their unconscious that won't allow them to open themselves up enough to even watch this movie  They say "I'm just not interested."

And one of the few straight men I know to go see the movie, claimed it was boring.  He said the gay thing didn't bug him, but it just wasn't a good movie.  I think its actually uncomfortable for some men to watch this male friendship turn into something more.  I think it may stir up some deep fears about being gay, or being "too" close with their male friends.  After all, these are the most manly men around, they are true cowboys.  They are doing "guy" things, camping, hunting, etc.  If they can be gay, anybody can, right?

Would more exposure to gay sexuality lessen these fears?  Perhaps.  But I think it would take much more than that.  I think we are talking about very deep emotional reactions that are set by parents, culture, friends, etc.  I think along with more exposure, it needs to be mainstream exposure.  Not something weird that you watch in science class.  Brokeback Mountain was a step in that direction, but I don't think its going to change the world. 
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »

Off topic, how was that movie? Should I rent it?
RichardNixon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 04:14:26 PM »

I thought it was great. One of the saddest movies I've seen since "Stand by Me."
SuperMike
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 04:20:05 PM »

I believe that sexuality is a gift and first starts to form around the time we're in high school and continues to evolve until the time we reach our mid-20's.

I kind of disagree with you there but I'm not offended. In my beliefs, when teenagers are blinded by puberty and raging hormones, sometimes they lose memory of what their sexual orientation is but it comes back later.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 04:33:12 PM »

I believe that sexuality is a gift and first starts to form around the time we're in high school and continues to evolve until the time we reach our mid-20's.

I kind of disagree with you there but I'm not offended. In my beliefs, when teenagers are blinded by puberty and raging hormones, sometimes they lose memory of what their sexual orientation is but it comes back later.

I think a lot of people are confused on when sexuality starts to devolop. I remember my uncle's ex-girlfriend discovered she was a lesbian in her mid-30's so it's kind of hard to say with some people.

And yes, raging hormones can blind us.
SuperMike
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 04:37:13 PM »

I remember my uncle's ex-girlfriend discovered she was a lesbian in her mid-30's so it's kind of hard to say with some people.

wouldn't that mean she's actually bisexual instead because she previously dated your uncle?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 04:39:07 PM by SuperMike » Logged
Sterlingdog
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »

I think a lot of people are confused on when sexuality starts to devolop.

I don't think anyone knows for sure.  And it could be different for different people.  This could move into a discussion of what makes someone gay.  Are they born that way, or does it develop later out of life experience?  There is evidence to support both theories. 
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 05:20:46 PM »

fuck that movie.. why would anyone want to see a movie about gay cowboys... seriously.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 05:37:49 PM »

fuck that movie.. why would anyone want to see a movie about gay cowboys... seriously.

nice rofl

but on a more serious note, why should homosexual activity be accepted as normal?  Gay people aren't evil or morally corrupt, so don't bash me as a homophobe.  If you accept that homosexuality is determined from birth, then it's an abnormality like any other mental disease or disorder.  You don't see people marching down the streets for albino pride or any other abnormality.  Homosexuals are people just like anyone else, however according to this theory their sexual preference is abnormal.
That brings up an interesting question.  If being gay is genetic, shouldn't we try to discover the gene and cure it the same way we try to prevent other abnormalities?  Again, I'm not saying their any less human or should be treated any differently, but I'm tired of people trying to get it into the mainstream as normal behavior, becuase it's anything but.

If you're going to argue that it develops later in life due to environmental factors, then homosexuality is no different than individuals whom are sexually attracted to children.  I know this is a taboo subject, and I by no means wish to offend anyone.  But if homosexuality is genetic, then it takes care of itself since someone with those genes can't reproduce if they follow their natural instincts.

Until humans become asexual, anyone who breaks from the method of reproduction is abnormal.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 05:39:44 PM »

I remember my uncle's ex-girlfriend discovered she was a lesbian in her mid-30's so it's kind of hard to say with some people.

wouldn't that mean she's actually bisexual instead because she previously dated your uncle?

In some cases but she actually said that she was in fact a lesbian and would be dating women from now on.

fuck that movie.. why would anyone want to see a movie about gay cowboys... seriously

Obviously, some people do since it was so successful. Your response shows that you may be living in a black and white world and that you cannot see another person's point of view...at all.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 07:10:16 PM »

How can anybody really call it abnormal?

It is abnormal in a society in which man has created rules, but nobody can really argue that it is "against nature".

Maybe it is one of natures way to control population?

There are gay animals after all, which seems to debunk the "choice" argument.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 07:15:25 PM »

I think you're on to something there SLCPunk.

Also, maybe people who question homosexuality and call it morally wrong should reverse the question, is hetreosexuality right? And, if it is, then how do we know it's right?

I'm not saying I think either being gay or straight is wrong, I'm just asking a tough question here.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 07:21:44 PM »

i almost misread that as "Should I get a rent boy?".... hihi

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 07:23:25 PM »

i almost misread that as "Should I get a rent boy?".... hihi

LOL, I think you should at least pretend to be gay while watching the film.

I've got a pair of chaps and a cowboy hat so far. I've put an ad in the paper and when I find a young Asian guy between the ages of 18-21 that "likes long walks on the beach and travel", then I'll rent the movie.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 07:24:04 PM »

Why should it bother you if someone has a different preference than you? What are you worried about? This can be applied to anything. So much of whats wrong in this world is because people cant accept that not everyone thinks or acts the same way. There is no right or wrong, despite what your church or government might tell you. There is just your preference.

I didnt watch the movie because the story didnt interest me. If I want to watch a "gay" movie to show how tolerant I am I'll watch Birdcage all day, that was a funny movie.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 07:25:37 PM »

Why should it bother you if someone has a different preference than you? What are you worried about? This can be applied to anything. So much of whats wrong in this world is because people cant accept that not everyone thinks or acts the same way. There is no right or wrong, despite what your church or government might tell you. There is just your preference.

I didnt watch the movie because the story didnt interest me. If I want to watch a "gay" movie to show how tolerant I am I'll watch Birdcage all day, that was a funny movie.

If everybody would just stop trying to change one another...............

Birdcage is one of my all time favorite movies, too damn funny..........What made that movie so funny was that it was extremes on both ends of the spectrum. The gay couple was very flamboyant paired with the congressman who thought the pope was "too controversial."  hihi
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 07:27:29 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 07:29:37 PM »

"Men Shmeeeeeeeear"? hihi

It was total overacting but everytime Nathan Lane shrieked, I cracked up

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 07:32:07 PM »

It was total overacting but everytime Nathan Lane shrieked, I cracked up

LOL, I have known plenty of gay guys who overacted in real life!!!  hihi

There are just too many good lines in that movie though........

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: