Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:42:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Is God real / fake?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is God real / fake?  (Read 18521 times)
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2007, 09:30:57 PM »

Thanks for that wonderful amount of knowledge , sir.

Any time Smiley

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2007, 03:37:06 AM »

What was the second "I" for?

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2007, 08:10:38 AM »

What was the second "I" for?

First for "If", second for "I".

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2008, 05:54:53 PM »

Not all 'religions' trade-off comfort with intolerance as has been said. Actually many religion/faiths have a common central idea of "suffering" and "self-denial".

There are many individuals who stand against these pseudo-"religious" people and live their lives devoted to God. There are a lot of things about many different faiths: Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc. that are misconstrued or twisted due to personal agenda, ignorance, and/or bad experiences with whatever faith they have came across so it's best not to assume anything. To research and look for your things yourself.

Religion, spirituality, and faith aren't as simple as going to church a couple of times and thinking you know what's up. For anyone who is interested in learning about why people believe what they believe and common misconceptions behind them, etc. I suggest "The Worlds' Religions" by Huston Smith. It's a great start.

So, in summation, I think that it's a little hasty to judge so quickly. And personally I think God is real. I've taken many religion classes, history, philosophy, etc., about all faiths (not just my own) so if anyone has questions, I'd be happy to help impart any wisdom or knowledge that I can. Not trying to sound pretentious, just trying to help make the world a better place by sharing knowledge, encouragement, and spreading love not through judgement, coercion,? or intolerance of any kind.

>MBF.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 05:59:45 PM by mrbucketfoot » Logged
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2008, 08:21:38 PM »

I've taken many religion classes, history, philosophy, etc., about all faiths (not just my own) so if anyone has questions, I'd be happy to help impart any wisdom or knowledge that I can.

I'd like you to explain what a Christian is.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2008, 08:35:46 PM »

Fuck Yeah! I'm a christian!   Praise Jebus!  peace
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2008, 01:04:05 AM »

I believe in a higher power - who/what it is, I'm not sure.

There's definitely something after this life though.

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2008, 08:44:29 AM »

It depends on what god you're talking about...

The Christians' God... yeah, I think He exists. But I don't believe in church, I don't go to church, and there are so many different churches anyway that you can't tell which one is right! I think God has given us brains so that we can think by ourselves and not follow blindly some church that tells you that drinking = sin, and that if you keep drinking you'll end up in Hell. It's probably not that simple. Roll Eyes
guns_n_motley
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2008, 09:45:44 AM »

I believe that there is a God, but i dont believe in the Church...most people get the two intertwined and messed up.....I also beleive that people use religion as a way for Power/bad...but it necessecarily doesnt mean that religion as a whole is bad....on the basis, the rules/commandments in the bible are guidelines that anyone should follow, its common sense whether you believe in a god or not...
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »

It depends on what god you're talking about...

The Christians' God... yeah, I think He exists.

Isn't Yahweh, Allah, and God all the same being?

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2008, 02:46:52 PM »

Ohno! This thread has been resurrected.  hihi

Puking doesn't make me horny.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2008, 05:12:55 PM »

I'd like you to explain what a Christian is.

Alright.

Let me preface this by saying that it's very difficult to quickly sum up what a Christian is because it's very complex. It's like asking, 'why do you love your wife' or 'what music do you like'? There are a lot of things to explain so hopefully I will provide an accurate description without becoming too longwinded.

Firstly, the word "Christian" was only used about 3 times in the Bible directly and during Biblical times usually held a negative connotation. There are many instances where it could be substituted, however the most common word used was "Disciple" which was used 250+ times. The simplest definition of a disciple would be a follower. Follow who, exactly? Well obviously follow Christ. In Acts 2:36 it says, "Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ". So Jesus to a true Christian, a true follower would be both Lord (master) and Christ (The Messiah).

So a Christian is someone who surrenders their life to God and lives their life by God's word. God's word and direction shapes their life. Instead of living according to their sinful nature and desires, they are living lives of discipline and devotion to God. It's not purely legalism or as people making their own rules, but the reason that Christians follow God's word is because it's God's plan for their life. The Bible states in John 10:10 that Jesus came so 'that they may have life, and have it to the full'. For example, the Bible doesn't talk about sexual immorality or impurity because God wants to keep you in the dark about sex, but because sex is a huge gift and a huge part of marriage and God wants you experience what He had planned for it. Not sloppy seconds with some girl you barely know kind of thing. It has value and the sin is not only not trusting God but devaluing His plan for your life. Many biblical issues aren't purely of "do this....don't do that". You may have a plan what is right and good, but God's plan is best. That's why people trust the Bible. The problem is people often don't or aren't educated on proper biblical interpretation (see: exegesis, hermeneutics) or incorrectly read their own opinion into the text (eisegesis).

Becoming a Christian is a conscious decision to look at the Bible critically and a decision to either accept or reject it's teachings. It's not an emotional decision (IE: praying Jesus into your heart) or done on a whim. Think of it as a marriage. Most people who run off to Vegas break up fast, but the people who take things slow and do things intelligently will last. And just like any marriage it's two sided, God is going to do His part and you need to do yours by continuing to live your life for Him. There's a lot of sacrifice involved. The general progression of "becoming" a Christian would be starting to study the bible and praying (which is simply talking to God or thanking Him or asking for His guidance and wisdom), repenting, and getting baptized. This would be following Acts 2:37-38 which says, When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?".......Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The idea of repentance is also one that has been incorrectly defined. The word "repentance" comes from the translation of the New Testament from Koine Greek into Latin and into English. So repentance means, 'Do penance again'. However, this was an incorrect translation as the original Greek word was "Metanoia". Metanoia means "to change your mind". Much akin to metamorphosis and paranoia. So instead of the idea of doing penance or feeling bad about one's actions, the proper concept is to change your mind, your paradigm, your worldview back to God's.

So continuing with the sex statement before, we get into relationships and have a lot invested. Then something happens and the couple breaks up and one or both are left heartbroken. God, like any good parent doesn't want to see his children in pain. Instead of Him forcing people to love Him, He offers us free will. We can decide to live for Him or for oneself and God offers grace and mercy and a full pardon for all we've done wrong if one were to choose to live for him. However, if one doesn't there are consequences.

There's your answer and more, but hopefully I explained it well enough.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:17:18 PM by mrbucketfoot » Logged
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »

I thank God everyday I'm an Agnostic.   hihi

Does anybody really think God, if he, she, or it exists, cares whether or not you "believe" in him, her, or it?  Think about it...
Of Course Not!!!!
Be a good person.  Help others.  Be polite.  Don't be angry.  Work hard.  I could go on, but do I have to???

peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »

There's your answer and more, but hopefully I explained it well enough.

Thanks.

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2008, 07:04:07 PM »

Be a good person.  Help others.  Be polite.  Don't be angry.  Work hard.  I could go on, but do I have to???

Could you explain what work hard means

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2008, 07:15:40 PM »

Be a good person.? Help others.? Be polite.? Don't be angry.? Work hard.? I could go on, but do I have to???

Sure.  Always try to reach your potential in whatever you do.  Basically, don't be lazy. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2008, 08:41:47 PM »

Sure.  Always try to reach your potential in whatever you do.  Basically, don't be lazy. 

I think I'm an aworkhardist

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »

you're probably on your work now surfing on htgth hihi
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2008, 02:02:40 PM »

you're probably on your work now surfing on htgth hihi