Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227882 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Is God real / fake?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is God real / fake?  (Read 18530 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 07:50:15 AM »

the fact that so many people do believe in a god, and that this belief effects people's lives so dramatically, i think there absolutely is a god.

there may not be an actual being, but at a minimum, the "god" is that belief which guides people's lives. and that belief is a powerful force.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 08:34:16 AM »

Nope, as fake as my first wife's love.

hihi hihi

I dont no, this is way to heavy a topic to be thinking about during my lunch but I do believe god exists in principle but im not into orgainised religion or unorganised religion for that matter. 

"to live with fortune and fame"
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 11:19:29 AM »

I keep going back and forth. I was raised Roman Catholic too and I have an uncle who is a priest. Lovely topics at the holidays. But anyway, there is so much bad that happens in the world that I can't understand so I question my faith. But then I see karma happen to people and I think again that there is someone out there. I've read a lot about theories - reincarnation - god I hope I don't have to go through this bullshit again - and some of it seems to make more sense than religion. I pick and choose what I believe as a Catholic. I do go to services but not regularly. I am raising my kids to believe in God and I hope I am doing the right thing. I have discussed God's existence with my uncle and he always has answers but they are faith based and nothing concrete. I want to believe there is a better place where we go when we die because I struggle with the concept of death. For instance, I love music, just love it. I can't imagine never being able to listen to music again, especially GNR, when I go. I asked my hubby to put a radio with extended batteries in my coffin so I can have music with me in death. Yes, it's nuts but again it's my struggle between belief and disbelief.

Puking doesn't make me horny.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »

I don't know. Nor do I understand why some people think that anyone who believes in (a) God is an idiot.

Unless you happen to believe that your godhatesfags of course. Wink

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 03:52:30 PM »

This could be an interesting thread, although I hope it doesn't degenerate into flame wars as I have seen these kinds of threads do on other boards.

So what do yo reckon?

Myself well I don't think so. I'm just one of those minded people who need some sort of verification before I believe the words in an old book of "events" written by a bunch of people who were going by what they heard, not what they saw for themselves.

I have a close mate who is very religious, he is studying to be a christian pastor. I laugh every time he tells me how all the stories in the old testament are fact, like Noah getting 2 of every species in the world on that ark? rofl, or Jonah living in the belly of that whale.

So what do y'all reckon?

Real.

God or a higher power doesn't necessarily have to be inclusive to a certain religion. I think for the most part it comes down to personal interpretation. It's best to decide how God/the higher power is present in your life. Spirituality can be a personal experience and/or something you share with others. Whatever makes sense to you.

Myself well I don't think so. I'm just one of those minded people who need some sort of verification before I believe the words in an old book of "events" written by a bunch of people who were going by what they heard, not what they saw for themselves.

I did an essay on Thomas Edison. He didn't relate to any religious perspectives either, but he did believe in a supreme intelligence. He said all the proof of that Intelligence he needed could be summed up in the unique properties of ice, the only crystalline substance that doesn?t sink in water. One of his quotes: "and it is rather lucky for us mortals, for if it had done so, we would all be dead. Why? Simply because if ice sank to the bottoms of rivers, lakes, and oceans as fast as it froze, those places would be frozen up and there would be no water left. That is only one example out of thousands that to me prove beyond the possibility of a doubt that some vast Intelligence is governing this and other planets."

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »

I think this is especially relevant http://youtube.com/watch?v=HVuw1wEuaAQ

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
SLCPUNK
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 05:05:41 PM »

One of my favorites. The guy is just too funny. ^
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 11:48:55 PM »

I did an essay on Thomas Edison. He didn't relate to any religious perspectives either, but he did believe in a supreme intelligence. He said all the proof of that Intelligence he needed could be summed up in the unique properties of ice, the only crystalline substance that doesn?t sink in water. One of his quotes: "and it is rather lucky for us mortals, for if it had done so, we would all be dead. Why? Simply because if ice sank to the bottoms of rivers, lakes, and oceans as fast as it froze, those places would be frozen up and there would be no water left. That is only one example out of thousands that to me prove beyond the possibility of a doubt that some vast Intelligence is governing this and other planets."

This presumes life was somehow meant to form, rather than it formed because it could. Just because some is advantageous to life doesn't mean God did it. Sligt temperature changes send ecosystems into peril, which proves to beyond the possibility of a doubt that no vast intelligence governs anything.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 03:44:00 AM »

This presumes life was somehow meant to form, rather than it formed because it could.

Are you aware of the extreme preciseness necessary for the Universe to be able to create life? For example, you change the electric charge in atoms by a fraction of a billion and the Universe doesn't happen. Same goes with a bunch of other mathematical values.

Just because some is advantageous to life doesn't mean God did it. Sligt temperature changes send ecosystems into peril, which proves to beyond the possibility of a doubt that no vast intelligence governs anything.

Yeah, but it doesn't disprove the existence of a god, only your perception of one.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 11:46:45 AM »

Just because some is advantageous to life doesn't mean God did it. Sligt temperature changes send ecosystems into peril, which proves to beyond the possibility of a doubt that no vast intelligence governs anything.

Yeah, but it doesn't disprove the existence of a god, only your perception of one.

Obviously you can redefine god to counter any arguments, but then the word itself becomes meaningless.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 11:51:38 AM »

This guy obviously would say God is real......  Roll Eyes

http://tinyurl.com/27btfp

ATLANTA --What to do when the rain won't come? If you're Georgia Gov.
Sonny Perdue, you pray.

The governor will host a prayer service next week to ask for relief
from the drought gripping the Southeast.

"The only solution is rain, and the only place we get that is from a
higher power," Perdue spokesman Bert Brantley said on Wednesday.

Perdue's office has sent out invitations to leaders from several
faiths for the service, set for Tuesday.

Perdue has several times mentioned the need for prayer -- along with
water conservation -- as the state's drought crisis has worsened. Over
the summer, he participated in day of prayer for agriculture at a
gathering of the Georgia Farm Bureau in Macon, Ga.

Perdue, a Baptist, has enjoyed strong support from Georgia's Christian
conservatives.

The Southeast has been suffering from an intense drought in recent
months that has threatened supplies of drinking water. Georgia has
been locked in a battle with Alabama and Florida over how much water
should be sent downstream from the state's dwindling reservoirs.

Governors from the three states reached a temporary agreement after
meeting with Bush administration officials in Washington.

The prayer service will be held outside the state Capitol on Tuesday.
Unless, of course, it rains.

"Then we'll move it inside, thankfully," Brantley said.

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 03:21:52 PM »

Obviously you can redefine god to counter any arguments, but then the word itself becomes meaningless.

Please show me where god was ever defined and I'll accept your argument.

Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 03:22:26 PM »

well to me if there was a god..... hes put me in a hell where ppl keep posting new threads of crap already covered.....

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=43458.0

thats one of em

Sorry sir. I won't do it again, I swear!? Roll Eyes
Why don't you apply to be a moderator if it pisses you off so much?? hihi

hey im just letting ya know..... its actually in the rules ?yes ?just because you just thought of it dont mean its never been thought of b4... saves everyone from seeing the exact same hreads every 12 months started off brand new

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 03:23:35 PM »

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/God  hihi

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2007, 03:29:54 PM »

That is God, not god Wink

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »

God (with a capital G) as in the title of the thread generally includes something like 'creator of the universe' in the definition. Beyond that, your reply makes little sense if you aren't prepared to offer a definition of God or god, yet imply that other people's definition is wrong.

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2007, 03:40:01 PM »

God (with a capital G) as in the title of the thread generally includes something like 'creator of the universe' in the definition. Beyond that, your reply makes little sense if you aren't prepared to offer a definition of God or god, yet imply that other people's definition is wrong.

No one knows. That is why we're having a debate. Tongue

But as I said, if you know something we don't, feel free to share. So far you have produced nothing except labeling my opinion as bullshit based on absolutely nothing.

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2007, 04:23:03 PM »

But as I said, if you know something we don't, feel free to share. So far you have produced nothing except labeling my opinion as bullshit based on absolutely nothing.

You can't debate something until you define what it is you're debating. I'm not going to define god because I didn't introduce the word here, you did by implying someone's perception was wrong. However, it's pretty clear that the exchange you tacked onto, though added nothing to, was about God which has a definition most people can more or less agree on.....see Prometheus' link.

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »

You can't debate something until you define what it is you're debating. I'm not going to define god because I didn't introduce the word here, you did by implying someone's perception was wrong. However, it's pretty clear that the exchange you tacked onto, though added nothing to, was about God which has a definition most people can more or less agree on.....see Prometheus' link.

I never implied anyones perception were wrong, I merely stated that perception is subjective.

And again, nowhere does it state that this thread is about any particular god, definition of god or consensus of god. It's simply about god, whatever one wants to attribute to that.

In fact I have empirical evidence that can refute your claim. You said: Just because some is advantageous to life doesn't mean God did it. Sligt temperature changes send ecosystems into peril, which proves to beyond the possibility of a doubt that no vast intelligence governs anything.

Which shows that your perception of a god is of a caring one. Well, I'd say it's pretty clear when opening a history book that if there is a god it does not care what happens to man on earth. Yet you use that as an argument, beyond the possibility of doubt even. Well, that is pretty bold stuff right there, so show me the evidence.

If not you can start by accepting that my arguments are as good as any.

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2007, 05:05:44 PM »

I never implied anyones perception were wrong, I merely stated that perception is subjective.

And again, nowhere does it state that this thread is about any particular god, definition of god or consensus of god. It's simply about god, whatever one wants to attribute to that.

In fact I have empirical evidence that can refute your claim. You said: Just because some is advantageous to life doesn't mean God did it. Sligt temperature changes send ecosystems into peril, which proves to beyond the possibility of a doubt that no vast intelligence governs anything.

Which shows that your perception of a god is of a caring one. Well, I'd say it's pretty clear when opening a history book that if there is a god it does not care what happens to man on earth. Yet you use that as an argument, beyond the possibility of doubt even. Well, that is pretty bold stuff right there, so show me the evidence.

If not you can start by accepting that my arguments are as good as any.

Mama Kin made the quote which you attributed to me

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: