Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:33:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227891 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Izzy # 17 on Rolling Stone's Most Underrated Guitarists
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Izzy # 17 on Rolling Stone's Most Underrated Guitarists  (Read 9764 times)
GNR estranged
Rocker

« on: October 02, 2007, 12:27:21 PM »

here is the link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/10/01/the-twenty-five-most-underrated-guitarists/

i think he should have been higher up on the list, but at least he made the list.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 01:53:46 PM »

Kurt Cobain, #2, proving once again that Rolling Stone is full of delusional idiots.  How can the guy from the most overrated band in the world, be the second most underrated guitarist?

But good to see Izzy get some love. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:00:52 PM »

I agree with Prince being the 1st one. I mean, when we think about Prince we just think of his pop image... that?s it. But god, when I saw him playing some George Harrison?s cover I couldn?t believe my ears. He plays so fucking well! Well-deserved place indeed.  ok

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 02:14:11 PM »

Prince is so underrated.  But Neil Young and Kurt Cobain have no business anywhere close to that list.   Plus, they both suck.
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 03:06:48 PM »

Prince is so underrated.? But Neil Young and Kurt Cobain have no business anywhere close to that list.? ?Plus, they both suck.

listen to cortez the killer by neil young and tell me he doesnt belong on the list.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 03:58:19 PM »

It is a pretty flawed list, would've been nice to see Brad Whitford of Aerosmith. He's tremendously underrated, plus he's a great songwriter.

Nice to see Izzy on the list though.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 04:30:19 PM »

I was excited at first to see the headline since Izzy is an underrated guitar player, as is Gilby. Prince rocks the shit. I love when a Prince song stops and out of nowhere he plays a face melting solo. But Rollingstone must have been worried that they would actually put out an article that didn't make someone exclaim out loud "What a bunch of deluded fuckin' morons", cause Kurt was a terrible guitar player and probably would have told you so himself. I've said it before, Kurt:Great voice, talented songwriter, god-awful musician.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 04:31:46 PM »

I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain and Prince made the RS list of best guitarists..How about Nuno Bettencourt?
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 05:38:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain and Prince made the RS list of best guitarists..How about Nuno Bettencourt?

I don't think Prince did, because I rememember being annoyed that he wasn't on the list.  I have seen him live dozens of times, and I continue to go just to hear him play guitar, its crazy tasty.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
isa
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 08:03:56 PM »

He must be in other list
darkdays_01
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 08:23:45 PM »

Cool to see Stradlin' getting some press. Neil Young and Kurt Cobain should both be on there. Listen to Neil's album's On the Beach and Zuma. As for Kurt , just listen to the boxed set With the Lights Out.
hellfirecan
Headliner

My dog dreaming is running...

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 10:41:32 PM »

Izzy rocks...

estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 08:11:54 AM »

I like Kurt Cobain but no way is he underrated - he regularly makes top 10 guitarist lists.

babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »

Izzy deserves this - I love his style, he was such a vital part of the old line-up sound, for me anyway.  I'd love to be as creative and cool on rhythm as him.

I see Kurt as an ok guitarist - but he's not under-rated as a musician really, so shouldnt be on this list.  I also dont see John Friscuante as underrated either - he gets plenty of good press as far as I can see.
pistolas
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 12:39:26 PM »

IZZY IS AN ORIGINAL , NICE TO SEE HIM ON THE LIST !
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 12:27:26 PM »

Oh boy, another list that must include the most overrated musican in the past 25 years, kurt cobain. I remember reading their list of the top 100 guitarist of all time and that hack made the list top 20. So tell me how can he be in their top 20 4 years ago and yet be the second most underated?

RS had him placed higher than Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, Agnus Young, and Slash didn't even make the list.  I personally believe that the writers over at RS have  a cut-out of kurt corbain's face plastered over a blow-up doll so they can continue to so their love for the highly overrated hack.

As for Izzy, good for him, he definitely deserves it. There are a few here who I agree with, Lindsey, McCready, Mick Jones, Prince, Space Ace and John Marr. 

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 02:50:27 PM »

There are generally two types of 'best of' lists as they relate to guitarists, the one made by actual guitar players, and music fans who like music with guitars in it. You will always get two very different types of lists. For instance, Neil Young is totally NOT an underrated guitarist...not by either lists standards. I'm pretty sure he's know first and foremost as a stellar guitarist. Nels Cline? Lindsey Buckingham? Eddie Hazel? Johnny Greenwood? Those guys all get huge props from the guitar playing community. Where is Gregg Ginn on that list?

The worst part about that second type of list is that it's hardly ever definitive. A guitarist's version will probably stay pretty much the same over the course of a number of years, while a fan's list would have probably been topped by Kid Rock a few years ago and John Mayer a year later. Casual music fans love what they love and that's perfectly ok because we are all different. But casual music fans wouldn't know one if Slash himself stuck a whammy bar up their ass.

The part the confuses me the most is the mix of total fanboy entries like Cobain, but utter left fielders like Izzy and Vernon Reid.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:53:08 PM by michaelvincent » Logged
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »

The part the confuses me the most is the mix of total fanboy entries like Cobain, but utter left fielders like Izzy and Vernon Reid.

They're trying to maintain some credibility, while simultaneously appealing to their readership.  No mystery there!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
MarioGunner
Rocker

I should've known you're crazy

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 03:01:26 AM »

They're trying to maintain some credibility, while simultaneously appealing to their readership.  No mystery there!

I agree on that... It definetely cool tonse Izzy on that list!! He rocks so much!!!

You can run like a river
Till you end up in the sea
And you run till night is black
And keep on going in your dream

My NEW Trading Space http://www.freewebs.com/mariogunner/
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »

"We asked you who?s most criminally left out of those discussions ? in other words, who are the most underrated guitarists ever? Here are the results"

I thought it was just a public vote, not the editors' choice.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 03:04:27 PM »

It blows my damn mind how Mick Mars isn't on that list...

amazing... that guy can play

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 04:00:03 PM »

As long as I've loved GNR, I admit I'm still not sure which signature guitar parts are Izzy's.  I'm know the Don't Cry intro and DTJ riff are his.  What else?

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »

The first solo in Nightrain for one..
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 04:15:29 PM »

As long as I've loved GNR, I admit I'm still not sure which signature guitar parts are Izzy's.  I'm know the Don't Cry intro and DTJ riff are his.  What else?

the electric solo in DTJ is Izzy to... it is credited to him anyway

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »

the electric solo in DTJ is Izzy to... it is credited to him anyway

It's a mistake in the credits.. it's not him. There are several credit mistakes, for example he doesn't play on Coma either.

Izzy's guitar is in the left speaker, he plays only leads on the intro of Back Off Bitch and the outro on RNDTH, intro on Estranged same as Slash, for the rest it's all rhythm.
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 01:06:30 PM »

But on AFD, he wote a lot of the main riffs.  Think About You, Out Ta Get me and Mr Brownstone are all izzy numbers.  He had the main intro for Nightrain, he wrote most of the music for My Michelle.  Aside from intro and solos, he wrote most of Sweet Child Of Mine.   Anything goes is mainly his. 
Also, i think Move To The City and Reckless Life are mostly written by him, Patience was mostly him (aside from the outro, which was entire band).  Used To Love Her is definetely an izzy number. 

So in the early days, he was prolific, but I think his contributions dropped out somewhat around the UYI era.  You Ain't The First, 14 Years and Dust N' Bones, and Perfect Crime are mainly his. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 01:18:52 PM »

His contributions on UYI:

Right Next Door To Hell = music except the chorus which is from Timo Kaltia (lyrics are Axl)
Dust N' Bones = music/lyrics mainly Izzy
Don't Cry = music
Perfect Crime = had the idea for the music first but co-wrote it with Slash
You Ain't The First = everything
Bad Obsession = music and lyrics mainly, with West Arkeen also contributing
Double Talkin' Jive = everything
Bad Apples = some parts of the music
14 Years = most of the music and lyrics
Pretty Tied Up = everything
You Could Be Mine = most of the music and possibly some of the lyrics

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:20:32 PM by IzzyDutch » Logged
Rocket Killer
Rocker

Kill Rock & Roll

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »

....and that is correct ok

Baltimore, Maryland (11/13/2006)
Silver Spring, Maryland (02/23/2012)
Landover, Maryland (06/23/2016)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 03:00:44 PM »

its nice to see Izzy made this list...considering Slash did not make Rolling Stones top 100 list a few years back confused
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: