Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Rank a band's entire discography (studio albums, live optional if you want)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank a band's entire discography (studio albums, live optional if you want)  (Read 34852 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: November 04, 2005, 03:51:03 PM »

Since most people who have heard a whole band's discography are fans of the band, try not to overrate anything! I'll start with Judas Priest.

Rocka Rolla: 6/10. It's good 70's rock, but Judas Priest weren't quite metal yet.

Sad Wings of Destiny: 10/10. Their 70's masterpiece. They picked up the metal banner when Sabbath was beginning to burn out. It's very heavy and often emotional, including songs like Victim of Changes and The Ripper.

Sin After Sin: 7/10. It's a mixed bag. Songs like Sinner, Starbreaker, and Dissident Agressor absolutely slay. Other songs, like Last Rose of Summer, are disappointing. They couldn't top SWOD, but it's too bad this follow up isn't even close.

Stained Class: 9/10. This is their second best 70's studio album. It was very influential on speed and thrash. It also has Beyond the Realms of Death, one of metal's greatest songs.

Killing Machine: 5/10. This gets a low rating because the good songs are all done better on Unleashed in the East. It's the beginning of Judas Priest's pop-metal era.

Unleashed in the East: 11/10. It's the greatest live album of all time. Judas Priest were at their peak when this was recorded.

British Steel: 4/10. Short and mediocre. This is a major step down for the band. Just more pop-metal.

Point of Entry: 3/10. Heading out on the Highway and On The Run are the only really good songs here, even though many of them sound good live. This is the band's low point under Halford.

Screaming for Vengeance: 7/10. This is the best pop-metal album ever. Halford's voice is in excellent shape and the songs are all very easy to get stuck in one's head. They're often overplayed, too, but that's besides the point.

Defenders of the Faith: 9/10. Except for Night Comes Down, this album is perfect. It's the best album Judas Priest put out in the 80's. Halford's voice is probably at its absolute peak.

Turbo: 5/10. It's a major disappointment. Even though the songs are often fun, it just isn't the Judas Priest we know and love. It's just an experimental flop, but it has its moments.

Priest Live: 8/10. It's not as good as Unleashed in the East, but nothing is. Many songs that sound bad on the albums sound great here. Get it if you like 80's Priest a lot.

Ram it Down: 4/10. It's more metal than Turbo, but it's filler loaded. Very disappointing.

Painkiller: 10/10. This is the ultimate speed metal album! Every song here is a classic, and unfortunately, it was Halford's last album for a long time.

Jugulator: 3/10. It's Ripper, and Priest tries to play thrash. Boo.

Demolition: 1/10. Worthless, as are the Ripper live albums.

Angel of Retribution: 8/10. It combines elements from Judas Priest's whole career. It's hit or miss, but its overall a great return album.
RichardNixon
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 04:15:34 PM »

LIMP BIZKIT

3 Dollar Bill Ya'll- One of the first breakthrough Nu-metal albums. A little harsh on the ears, still a good album. Has held up well. B

Sig. Other- Nu-Metal's greatest album, more memorable than their peers. A great album. A-

Choclate Starfish- LB jumps the shark and goes into self-parody. Assinine lyrics. Some good and creative guitar work. C.

Resluts May Vary- Sucks. All over the place. No hooks or good songs. D-

Unquestiobale Truth- A strong comeback and return to form B+
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 04:22:50 PM »

Def Leppard

On through the night - 7/10 - its rough around the edges, but on good speakers this is AC/DC - and every bit as good

High N' Dry - 8/10 - frighteningly good in places, Switch 625 and Bringing on the heartbreak are just wow

Pyromania - 9/10 - more hits that u can fit on two greatest hits, only overshadowed by what was to come...

Hysteria - 10/10 - the greatest pop metal album ever recorded, the guitar work is unreal, more riffs than u can shake a stick at - and the best stuff wasn't even released as a single - and the album spawned 7 singles!

Adrenalize - 8/10 - a few tracks misfire, this can be very silly at times - but Tear it down and I wanna touch u save it

Retro Active - 10/10 - b-sides? Ride into the sun is worth the price alone, Def Leppard are at their heaviest here and the guitar work is just wonderful, in true Leppard style the weaker tracks were the singles confused

Slang - 6/10 - Hmmm, a new style, i like it, but not as much as what came before

Euphoria - 5/10 - some truly awful tunes here - and some great stuff too - 50% great, 50% terrible....

X - 5/10 - its actually okay, some great tunes, but this isn't the Leppard we love
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 04:25:23 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mr. Sinister
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 04:33:48 PM »

I'll go with Weezer:

The Blue Album: 10/10, a perfect record from start to finish. I can't recommend this record enough.

Pinkerton: 8/10, some wonderful songwriting here, but it's often too whiny and abrasive. Songs like Pink Triangle and Across the Sea are true classics.

The Green Album: 7/10, A slick poprock record that is pleasant enough, but too safe. Island in the Sun and Simple Pages are wonderful songs though.

Maladroit: 9/10, the best thing Weezer's done since Blue, with awesome guitar solos, a variety of sounds, and great (if ridiculous and nonsensical) lyrics.

Make Believe: 6/10, Musically it has moments of sheer briliance (Perfect Situation, This is Such a Pity), but lyrically it's almost embarrassingly juvenile and cliche. It's reminiscent of Pinkerton, but with a heavy "meditation is good" message that bogs down the record.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 05:39:40 PM »

Forget About Life I'm High On Dope - 8/10 Stoner rock greatness only on vinyl, if you're smoking a joint now then this is their finest hour or at least close to it....

Monster Magnet [EP] Some decent early tracks that were later re-recorded, a decent collectors item..... 7/10

Spine of God 9/10 My personal favourite the title track is perfection in itself, this album is mellow and crazy and hard all at the same time.....

Superjudge 8 & a half/10 Nearly in the same leagur as it's predessor thanks to tracks like Black Balloon, Cage Around The Sun & Twin Earth but a few tracks hold it back, still stoner greatness though....

Dopes To Infinity By this point they were going for some commercial acclaim, Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Their first major hit) and Dead Christmas were great crossover tracks, some were still a bit lacking though 8/10....

Powertrip Their massive commercial hit thanks to the title track and Space Lord every track is amazing...9/10

God Says No A shoddy follow up, supposedly the band were not happy and the record company tampered with it, there are some gems but it's weak overall 6/10

Monolithic Baby A return to fun with much the same vibe as Powertrip, commercial yet great, they were back to a small time record label but the music was simply awesome another track for track piece of classic rock with more sex than stoner stuff but still stoner greatness in the form of Ultimate Everything, Great Stuff! This just goes to show they ARE Rock's BEST kept secret! 9/10
Evolution
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 08:19:29 PM »

CKY

Volume 1: Opens with one of the most distinctive riffs in guitar music. Flanked by stand out tracks such as "The Human Drive In Hi-Fi" and "Lost In A Contraption" this album is track for track excellent. Capped off perfectly by the outstanding and one of my favourite songs "Disenguage The Simulator". Simply put an undervalued and underappreciated debut. 95%

Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild: Again opens with a fantastic riff. This album has 10 songs instead of the 9 on Vol.1. A couple slightly weaker songs on here but enjoyable all the same. This album has "Flesh Into Gear" which featured on the Jackass film and remains a live favourite. This album ends with the heaviest track "Sporadic Movement" followed by the ballad "Close Yet Far" which is a nice touch. Well worth your cash. 83%

An Answer Can Be Found: The most recent release and by far the best production. As now is a staple of CKY the album opens with a shit hot riff. "Suddenly Tragic" is a jean creamer no doubt. Jess Margera the drummer times tempo changes to perfection on numerous occasions and the use of new effects from both guitars give songs interesting layers. As on IDR "Sniped", a heavy and all out assault type of song is followed by "Don't Hold Your Breath" a nice paced ballad. 92%

CKY albums are best handled, 1st 1st  ok So you can see the evolving of the band

RichardNixon
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 10:51:33 PM »

Van Halen

Van Halen: The Prototype. A classic 10/10
Van Halen II- Sloppy seconds, but great 10/10
Women and Children First- Most underrated album 10/10
Fair Warning- Dark, murky, masterpiece 10/10
Diver Down- A fun album, half covers 9/10
1984-Bring on the synths! The end of an era 10/10
5150- Sammy's debut, too many keyboards, too commercial 7/10
OU812- Tighter than 5150, best o8/10f Sammy era 9/10
FUCK- Good, but overrated 7.5/10
Balance- Rocks hard, a lot of lost gems 9/10
VH3- I liked this album. Left of center- 8/10
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 07:16:39 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
conny
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 12:39:50 AM »

No hard rock / metal, but a great songwriter: Sheryl Crow

Most people only know her singles, but the albums feature songs that are much better than her popular stuff. Here we go:

Tuesday Night Music Club (1993) * * *
Great songs, sterile production, no flow.
Best song: "We Do What We Can"

Sheryl Crow (1996) * * * *
Crazy and intresting production, nice fow, maybe a bit too long.
Best songs: "A Change", "Home", "Redemption Day", "Ordinary Morning"

The Globe Sessions (1998) * * * * *
Unbelieveable! This is the real thing, if you ever listen to Sheryl Crow, listen to this album! It takes some repeated listens to actually "get" and appreciate this record though. It's the one with that terrible "Sweet Child O' Mine" cover - but just forget that and listen to the rest of the album, you're in for a real treat here. Very mature and complex, fantastic lyrics, very good production.
Best songs: "Riverwide", "Am I Getting Through", "The Dificult Kind"

"C'mon C'mon" (2002) * * *
Overproduced and boring, but has two fantastic killer songs: "Safe And Sound", "Weather Channel"

"Wildflower" (2005) * *
Forget it. Good lyrics, boring music.

As for the DVD's I'd recommend "Rockin' The Globe" since it features a lot from "The Globe Sessions" wich is her best album, but it's a rather boring watch, just great music. "C'mon America" is more entertaining and looks great, but it's a Greatest Hits show and just as too many of those dull popular songs.
conny
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 12:55:37 AM »

LED ZEPPELIN

I * * * 1/2
Nice but not compared to what else was around at that time not essential, best song: Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

II * * * 1/2
Good, but overrated, best song: "Ramble On"

III * * * * *
Underrated, fantastic album, give it some time, nice flow and atmosphere

IV * * * * *
Essential, all songs are great

Houses Of The Holy * * * *
A mixed bag, but some great songs: The Rain Song, No Quarter

Physical Graffiti * * * *
Muddy sounding, fantatic material though, best songs: Custard Pie, The Rover, Kashmir, Ten Years Gone

The Song Remains The Same * *
Live - great songs and performance, bad sound, rather get the "DVD" from 2003

Presence * * * * 1/2
Sick, hard and very very underrated. Best songs: Achilles Last Stand, For Your Life, Tea For One

In Through The Out Door *
For fans

Coda *
Outtakes and leftovers, for fans, not essential

Remasters * * * * *
A "best of" - if you can only have one Led Zep CD, this should be it
Available as a 2-CD and a 4-CD set.

BBC Sessions * * *
Live stuff from the old days, for the fans

How The West Was Won * * *
Some more live stuff, for fans, not essential

DVD * * * * *
Unbelieveable, one of the best music DVD's money can buy

Early Days / Ladder Days * * * *
Another best of - rather get "Remasters", it's better.
conny
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 01:07:23 AM »

JIMI HENDRIX

Are You Experienced * * * * *
Essential masterpiece. Get the 17 track CD from EUROPE (not the US version!), it has the original tracklisting and features the three singles and b-sides released prior to the actual album at the end of the CD in chronological order. The US version is a mess, tracks are out of running sequence, the atmosphere of the original album just gets lost.

Axis: Bold As Love * * * * *
Beautiful and more laid back, essential for any music lover, but maybe this should not be the first Hendrix CD you buy.

Electric Ladyland * * * * *
The best album ever made. You haven't lived until you have heard this. Play the last three songs loud, and they will change your life! Any music lover should own this album.

Band Of Gypsys * * * * *
The only live album Hendrix authorized. Unbelieveable, insane, sick. MACHINE GUN!!!

First Rays Of The New Rising Sun * * * 1/2
This is one of many collections of material he couldn't finish, if you want that stuff, get this CD and forget the rest. It's an intresting listen for fans, but not essential.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 04:29:48 AM »

Arcturus

1995, Aspera Hiems Symfonia 10/10
The finest black metal album ever made, this shit is just majestic. Combining Garm's clean singing & black metal vocals with Sverd's sublime compositions, this album has remained relevant for a decade.

1997, La Masquerade Infernale 10/10
Taking avant-garde to another dimesion, La Masquerade Infernale proved to be Arcturus' masterpiece. This album has it all; beautiful poetry, operatic vocals by Garm, carnival music and killer riffs. Pure perfection.

2002, The Sham Mirrors 8/10
A great album, but it lacks the magic that was evident in the earlier albums. Good quality prog metal, but it isn't larger than life.

2005, Sideshow Symphonies 9/10
This year Arcturus returned with Simen replacing Garm. If anyone was up to the task, it's surely Simen, who had also appeared in '97's La Masquerade Infernale. Once again they managed to create something unique, putting together crazy layers of music with Simen's even crazier vocals on top. Very cool material, I've been listening to this non-stop for two months now.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 06:22:03 AM »

Metallica

Kill 'Em All - 8/10
Ride The Lightning - 8.5/10
Master of Puppets - 10/10
...And Justice for All - 9/10
Metallica - 8/10
Load - 7/10
Re-Load - 6.5/10
Garage Inc. - 9/10
St. Anger - 2/10

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Megaguns
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 07:01:45 AM »

Metallica

Kill 'Em All - 8/10
Ride The Lightning - 8.5/10
Master of Puppets - 10/10
...And Justice for All - 9/10
Metallica - 8/10
Load - 7/10
Re-Load - 6.5/10
Garage Inc. - 9/10
St. Anger - 2/10
spot on dude  ok
Megaguns
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 07:12:11 AM »

I really really want to do one for iron maiden but my brain cant handle it,......... can somebody else?Huh?
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 08:19:29 AM »

LED ZEPPELIN
BBC Sessions * * *
Live stuff from the old days, for the fans

Great to see someone here who likes LZ, one of GN'R's biggest influences.

But I have to argue about the BBC Sessions. It has the best Since I've Been Loving You ever! Who hasn't heard it, hasn't lived.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 08:45:13 AM »

I really really want to do one for iron maiden but my brain cant handle it,......... can somebody else?Huh?
I'll do it  Wink

Iron Maiden - 7/10  Great beginning album, classics songs like Iron maiden and phantom of the opera are great.
Killers - 6/10 Good album but is not better than it's predecedor. Check out Killers and Wratchild.
Number of the beast - 10/10 Tatally classic must have, hear and enjoy album, is must for every rock, heavy and hard rock dude.
Piece of Mind - 9/10 Yet another piece of art, I couldn't came with a higher score cause I think better music is on NOB. Classics like where eagles dare, Flight of Icarus, the trooper.
Powerslave - 8/10 Not better than POM, yet it contained great classics such as rime of the ancient mariner, 2 minutes to midnight, Aces High, this is probably the most heavy album by Maiden.
Somewhere In Time - 6/10 even though they were experimenting on synth and stuff like that the album couldn't bring out their best. Check out Wasted years, Stranger in a Strange land, Deja vu.
Seventh son of a Seventh son - 20/10 The best Maiden album ever, the whole album is a fantastic histoy about a child that was born and has to decided for evil or good, which path will he take, you better check it out  ok
No prayer for the Dying - 5/10 I consider it an average album, have great tunes and great melodies in song such as Mother Russia, Tailgunner, Assassin.
Fear of the Dark - 8/10 Quite great album but couldn't fit the shoes of NOB and SSOASS, memorables songs: Wasting love, Afraid to shoot an stranger (made in a 3X4 which is not ardinary heavy), Fear of the dark a classic one.
The X factor - 6/10 No dickinson on vocals, The sound and production of the album is great but something else is missing, Dickinson factor?  Undecided. Check Sign of the cross, The unbeliever, Lord of the flies.
Virtual XI - 3/10 Probably the worst Maiden Album.  Lips Sealed
Brave New World - 7/10 Great Dickinson comeback, songs such as Dreams of Mirrors, The thin line between love and hate, Fallen angel (base on the movie Fallen with Denzel Washington).
Dance of Death - 5/10 there's not such good songs on this one, I think it's very force this album to play. The best song is Wildest Dreams.

Hope you like it  ok peace

No man can be my equal
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 09:39:15 AM »

Thin Lizzy (1971)
Great album, some would dissagree. Not so much rock and no twin guitars. Eric Bell lays down the chops on this single handedly. This album is a great example of Lynotts poetry 7/10

Shades of a Blue Orphanage (1972)
Again not exactly rock. Same line-up: Downey, Bell, Lynott with Simonds laying down the harpsicord and mellotron 6.5/10

Vagabonds of the Western World (1973)
Again same line-up and a little bit more rock. Probably the most famous Eric Bell album, with the traditional Irish song Whiskey In The Jar 7.5/10

Nightlife (1974)
The first hard rock album. Eric Bell left the band. Twin guitars from Scott Gorham and Robbo (Brian Robertson). Gary Moore is a guest on the album. The musicians are clearly still getting to know each other 8/10

Fighting (1975)
Excellent album. Same line up as Nightlife. Great songs like Rosalie, King's Vengance, Wild One and much more. Twin guitars becoming perfected 9/10

Jailbreak (1976)
What can I say. Amazing album, same line up. Twin guitars perfected. Excellent songs like Emerald, Jailbreak, The Cowboy Song and undeniably their most famous song The Boys are Back in Town 10/10

Johnny the Fox (1976)
Great album. Same line up. Don't Belive a Word is the track that stands out 10/10

Bad Reputation (1977)
Same line up. Excellent album 10/10

Live and Dangerous (1978)
Live album 10/10

Black Rose (1979)
Gary Moore replaces Robbo as second guitarist. Amazing album Waiting for an Alibi, My Sarah and Roisin Dubh are essential 10/10

Chinatown (1980)
Snowy White replaces Moore and Wharton joins on keyboards 10/10

Renegade (1981)
Same line up 10/10

Thunder and Lightning (1983)
Sykes replaces White 10/10

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2005, 09:44:53 AM »

Shocked Woa I can see there's no flaw in the last albums

No man can be my equal
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2005, 10:38:32 AM »

Metallica