Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 04:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227873 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Question About Time Travel
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question About Time Travel  (Read 18671 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« on: May 14, 2005, 07:38:51 PM »

I know there are alot of paradoxes concerning the issue of time travel. And most people don't think it will ever be achieved. Hell, isn't time travel itself the ultimate paradox?      Since GNR fans are just as smart, if not smarter, than everyone else, I have a question. If a major breakthrough was made concerning the issue of time travel, do you think that would prove that God doesn't exist?                  Because I cant imagine God allowing something as insane as time travel to occur. You could in effect become Christ-like, by going back and erasing your sins. And also, if you went back, just meeting one different person would set off a chain reaction that could never be changed. If you tried to change it, you would just create a new chain reaction from the chain reaction you created the first time you went back.                                    And as another example, let's say there's a girl from your past that you always liked, but were afraid to ask her out. So you go back in time and wind up having a relationship with her. By doing this, you have changed everything. You altered the course of the girl's life, and you altered the course of every person's life who would have met her if you hadn't gone back in time. So basically, your desire to have sex with a high school crush would, in effect, destroy thousands of destinies.  Time Travel would allow one man to play the role of God. And doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible about man being beneath God? That we can't aspire to anything God-like? Do you think proving the existence of time travel would, at the same time, disprove the existence of God??

jgfnsr
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 07:56:37 PM »

I know there are alot of paradoxes concerning the issue of time travel. And most people don't think it will ever be achieved. Hell, isn't time travel itself the ultimate paradox?? ? ? Since GNR fans are just as smart, if not smarter, than everyone else, I have a question. If a major breakthrough was made concerning the issue of time travel, do you think that would prove that God doesn't exist?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Because I cant imagine God allowing something as insane as time travel to occur. You could in effect become Christ-like, by going back and erasing your sins. And also, if you went back, just meeting one different person would set off a chain reaction that could never be changed. If you tried to change it, you would just create a new chain reaction from the chain reaction you created the first time you went back.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? And as another example, let's say there's a girl from your past that you always liked, but were afraid to ask her out. So you go back in time and wind up having a relationship with her. By doing this, you have changed everything. You altered the course of the girl's life, and you altered the course of every person's life who would have met her if you hadn't gone back in time. So basically, your desire to have sex with a high school crush would, in effect, destroy thousands of destinies.? Time Travel would allow one man to play the role of God. And doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible about man being beneath God? That we can't aspire to anything God-like? Do you think proving the existence of time travel would, at the same time, disprove the existence of God??

1. Mortal man, in his current fallen state, is subject to time.? God, however, dwells in eternity.? There is no past or future for all things are present before Him.? God lives in an eternal "now."

2. For any number of reasons, some of which you listed above, man will never have the ability to time-travel.? It is not in "the plan," so to speak.? ?

3. Man is beneath God in the sense that we are fallen, mortal, and imperfect.? God is exalted , immortal, and perfect.? However we indeed can aspire to be God-like.? In fact, as impossible as it seems, we are commanded to - in the only way given - through Christ.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 07:59:21 PM »

Not really. It would, however, be more evidence that this 'God' has created an even more imperfect world than at first believed.

There's a great quote that I can't remember...

...Only the human ego makes us believe that this 'God', this 'Creator' should he exist would give a fuck about us and what we do with our lives...

Oh, I don't know, something along those lines.

Hell, maybe in God's first draft for the world, time travel was possible. But by this, being obviously the seventh draft of our world, she has made it impossible.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 08:00:35 PM »

In fact, as impossible as it seems, we are commanded to - in the only way given - through Christ.

The will to power? Dude, God is dead.*

*Anybody get that?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
jgfnsr
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 08:15:58 PM »

Not really. It would, however, be more evidence that this 'God' has created an even more imperfect world than at first believed.

There's a great quote that I can't remember...

...Only the human ego makes us believe that this 'God', this 'Creator' should he exist would give a fuck about us and what we do with our lives...

Oh, I don't know, something along those lines.

Anyone who is familiar with the Plan of Salvation (where we come from, why we are here, where we are going) knows why God does indeed care what we do with our lives.

Hell, maybe in God's first draft for the world, time travel was possible. But by this, being obviously the seventh draft of our world, she has made it impossible.

Seventh draft??

She?
jgfnsr
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 08:17:03 PM »

Since when?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 08:23:07 PM »

But how could God exist in a world where you could go back and erase your mistakes and change other people's lives? You could even go back to right before Jesus is crucified, and right before he has to carry the cross, and shoot him in the head. Not only altering the death of Jesus but changing the writings in the Bible. I do believe in God, but if time travel is achieved, I think it will prove he doesn't exist.

jgfnsr
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 08:28:12 PM »

But how could God exist in a world where you could go back and erase your mistakes and change other people's lives? You could even go back to right before Jesus is crucified, and right before he has to carry the cross, and shoot him in the head. Not only altering the death of Jesus but changing the writings in the Bible. I do believe in God, but if time travel is achieved, I think it will prove he doesn't exist.

You're basically answering your own question.

Once again, for any number of reasons, man will never be capable of time-travel. 

Not least of which is humans would likely destroy themselves long before they attained that kind of knowledge and technology.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 08:37:25 PM »

Nutjob, maybe you're right. I have read Revelations, and it doesn't mention anything regarding humans able to travel through time. But if achieved, wouldnt the fact that it isn't mentioned in the bible make you change your mind? And you shouldn't say it will NEVER occur. Scientists have noticed a miniscule anomaly concerning time travel. If a supersonic jet leaves New York and flies to a far away country, it arrives to its destination a millionth of a second quicker than it should have. Scientists have yet to explain this anomaly.

jgfnsr
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 08:45:42 PM »

Nutjob, maybe you're right. I have read Revelations, and it doesn't mention anything regarding humans able to travel through time. But if achieved, wouldnt the fact that it isn't mentioned in the bible make you change your mind? And you shouldn't say it will NEVER occur. Scientists have noticed a miniscule anomaly concerning time travel. If a supersonic jet leaves New York and flies to a far away country, it arrives to its destination a millionth of a second quicker than it should have. Scientists have yet to explain this anomaly.

For the record, while I believe the Bible, I don't believe it contains all truth that God has - or could - reveal to man.

It's not that I believe time-travel is impossible in itself.? I just do think man will ever be capable of it.? Especially considering the fact that we and this earth don't have a whole lot of time left as it is.

Hypothetically speaking, even if man could travel through time, I don't think that would automatically prove or disprove anything.?

For those who believe in God, whatever man becomes capable of, it must be remembered that it is only because God has allowed him that knowledge and ability, and already knows the consquences of such in advance.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 08:55:43 PM »

I know there are alot of paradoxes concerning the issue of time travel. And most people don't think it will ever be achieved. Hell, isn't time travel itself the ultimate paradox?? ? ? Since GNR fans are just as smart, if not smarter, than everyone else, I have a question. If a major breakthrough was made concerning the issue of time travel, do you think that would prove that God doesn't exist?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Because I cant imagine God allowing something as insane as time travel to occur. You could in effect become Christ-like, by going back and erasing your sins. And also, if you went back, just meeting one different person would set off a chain reaction that could never be changed. If you tried to change it, you would just create a new chain reaction from the chain reaction you created the first time you went back.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? And as another example, let's say there's a girl from your past that you always liked, but were afraid to ask her out. So you go back in time and wind up having a relationship with her. By doing this, you have changed everything. You altered the course of the girl's life, and you altered the course of every person's life who would have met her if you hadn't gone back in time. So basically, your desire to have sex with a high school crush would, in effect, destroy thousands of destinies.? Time Travel would allow one man to play the role of God. And doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible about man being beneath God? That we can't aspire to anything God-like? Do you think proving the existence of time travel would, at the same time, disprove the existence of God??

Time travel, eh?

Can't be done, to go back and change an event in the past would then erase that event from history - as a consequence you would be unable to go back and change what in the new timeline had never actually occured nervous

As for God...please, one daft idea at a time.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 09:09:19 PM »

I wish I could go back in time and not read this thread.
Narcissa
Back In Black
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 10:20:01 PM »

Time is a concept, a state of mind. You can time-travel through memory only.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 11:19:03 PM »

I know there are alot of paradoxes concerning the issue of time travel. And most people don't think it will ever be achieved. Hell, isn't time travel itself the ultimate paradox?      Since GNR fans are just as smart, if not smarter, than everyone else, I have a question. If a major breakthrough was made concerning the issue of time travel, do you think that would prove that God doesn't exist?                  Because I cant imagine God allowing something as insane as time travel to occur. You could in effect become Christ-like, by going back and erasing your sins. And also, if you went back, just meeting one different person would set off a chain reaction that could never be changed. If you tried to change it, you would just create a new chain reaction from the chain reaction you created the first time you went back.                                    And as another example, let's say there's a girl from your past that you always liked, but were afraid to ask her out. So you go back in time and wind up having a relationship with her. By doing this, you have changed everything. You altered the course of the girl's life, and you altered the course of every person's life who would have met her if you hadn't gone back in time. So basically, your desire to have sex with a high school crush would, in effect, destroy thousands of destinies.  Time Travel would allow one man to play the role of God. And doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible about man being beneath God? That we can't aspire to anything God-like? Do you think proving the existence of time travel would, at the same time, disprove the existence of God??

Time travel, eh?

Can't be done, to go back and change an event in the past would then erase that event from history - as a consequence you would be unable to go back and change what in the new timeline had never actually occured nervous

As for God...please, one daft idea at a time.

That I believe is called the Grandfather Paradox.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 11:26:24 PM »

In fact, as impossible as it seems, we are commanded to - in the only way given - through Christ.

*Anybody get that?

Your opinion. Don't flare catholics if your athiest.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 12:06:05 AM »

Maybe this has already happened.... maybe someone from an alternate future, where they have things like sandals that can walk on water and small pills that dissolve into water and change it into wine, decided he wanted to be the most famous person in history.  So he travelled back in time and called himself the Son of God, and we now refer to him as Jesus?

Pretty lame if you ask me... I would've just taken all of the greatest songs ever recorded, travelled back to the 40s or 50s, and released ALBUM after ALBUM of the best music ever.  Then, once I'd retired, I sit back and watch all the kids of the next generation bitch and moan about how "there's nothing good on the radio today".
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2005, 12:52:22 PM »

Man, obviously none of you 'got it'.

Didn't you work out from my 'did anybody get it?' that it was a joke, kind of.

Nietzsche wrote about the will to power, mans innate desire to become God-like. Well, in not so few words. It overrides even our desire to survive...to become the Superman, and such.

Anyway...Nietzsche believed that God was 'dead' because man no longer had any need for him.

I'm studying the bastard at the moment.

And nutter...

...'Seventh draft' was, likewise, a joke...Not a funny one, but a joke all the same. It was a play on the seven days...Oh never mind.

And, 'she'? You'll find a lot of philosophers refer to God as she, because it gets people like you who go *WHAT?!?! SHE?!?!* to actually think about it...

God ain't no man. Or at least, she may not be....But then again, he may be. Also, they may be neither.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »

God ain't no man. Or at least, she may not be....But then again, he may be. Also, they may be neither.

God is a big black woman....

She's pissed and will be here soon.....
jgfnsr
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 03:17:39 PM »

And nutter...

...'Seventh draft' was, likewise, a joke...Not a funny one, but a joke all the same. It was a play on the seven days...Oh never mind.

Oh, don't worry, I knew what you meant.? But as it is fully clear that the "seven days" were periods of creation then rest, rather than drafts, you really didn't have much of a basis for making your joke to begin with.

And, 'she'? You'll find a lot of philosophers refer to God as she, because it gets people like you who go *WHAT?!?! SHE?!?!* to actually think about it...

As I've said before, the related identity of God and man can be summed up in the following couplet -

"As man now is, God once was.
As God now is, man may be."

God is indeed "a man."? A glorified, immortal, and exalted one.? And we are His children, He being our Father.? Of course, there was never a father without a mother.? You might be surprised to learn that we also have a Mother in Heaven, just as we have a Father in Heaven.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 03:18:33 PM »

Man, obviously none of you 'got it'.

Didn't you work out from my 'did anybody get it?' that it was a joke, kind of.

first rule of comedy...dont assume everyone has an IQ of 180, they have read nietchse and to remember the exact quote you quoted.

Tongue

time travel, if it is indeed possible would be only possible across different timelines in a infinite timeline universe...one could go back from one timeline into another timeline but they cannot go back to the same timeline to disturb it...or so i heard

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: