Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 09:06:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Question About Time Travel
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question About Time Travel  (Read 18668 times)
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2005, 05:56:59 PM »

Man, obviously none of you 'got it'.

I got it.

You know what? I thought you might.

And I'm glad that somebody did.? ok

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2005, 06:00:25 PM »

thats what should happen.... if you watch stargate SG1 moebius part 1 and 2 they deal witht eh paradox of the eventual change in the timline that they are then made aware of  in the present from their future seleve in a msg from the past. telling them what it is that they had to do and why so because of that there is no need to go back in time to do the mission again.....and the purpose of the message is only to enusre that the time line is as it should be, remaining relatively unchanged on all the main points that they have used for verification..... in regards to small things we dont know.. lol

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2005, 06:04:01 PM »

Prometheus, interesting way of dealing with a paradox. But it doesn't work. How would you read the message in the past without knowing it was coming?

Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2005, 06:12:06 PM »

see the way that they dealt with it was... they knew of a location and a time that a certain area would be escavated at teh giza plateau and knew that it was from the period they would have to go too. so they found the tomb and burried the items in the tomb that would needed to prove that it was true (DV camera sealed in a stasis jar and a zpm what the mission was for) then by the tomb being escavated it was found and everything worked out ..... though that was on try #2 the orgional attempt ended in disaster and a alternate future was forged.......but it was fixed thourgh going back in time again a few weeks later and making everything occur correctly.

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2005, 06:12:55 PM »

All these paradoxes never cease to amaze me. I am writing a trilogy, and the second novel in the trilogy deals with the issue of time travel. I haven't finished it, but I know how the story ends. And of course, it creates a damn paradox. In the story, the character goes back in time and completes his mission. End of story, right? Wrong! This is where a paradox occurs. If the guy goes back in time and completes his mission, wouldn't he be stuck in the past? By completing the mission, it would mean that the mission never existed in the first place, so there would have been no reason to go back in time. Confusing shit. Have you guys noticed how books and movies dealing with time travel always conveniently bypass these paradoxes?

u should read "Lightning" by Dean Koontz

it deals with time travel and the paradoxes are amazing, u have to read over certain sections 2 or 3 times to really figure out how it would be possible.

That book is mindblowing the way it does the time travel.

a brief summary of it

a guy from the 1940's named Stefan is part of a Nazi experiement to invent time travel so they can go into the future and see if they won the war and if not they can bring things back from the future to make sure they succeed.

While in the future he meets Laura Shane *the main character* she is an author and is handicapped but he sees such a purity and admirable strength in her that he wants to make her life better.

so he intervenes in pivotal moments of her life and it changes her existence but destiny has a way of making what was meant to be how it shouldve been.

Its an amazing novel. Pick it up if u love time travel and weird fucked up mindbending shit.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2005, 06:13:57 PM »

Just looking at this thread again briefly, I can't believed I missed this:

"As man now is, God once was.
As God now is, man may be."

God is indeed "a man." ?A glorified, immortal, and exalted one. ?And we are His children, He being our Father. ?Of course, there was never a father without a mother. ?You might be surprised to learn that we also have a Mother in Heaven, just as we have a Father in Heaven.

Now, I am in no way anti-religion. Not in the way that some clearly are. In all honesty, I like the Catholic church. For me, anyway, it all comes down to a simple question...Would the world be better without the Catholic church? Maybe...

...I'm inclined to think not.

But the above is just....Well. It's kind of people like that ^ who tick all the boxes required to have a heated argument with the guy sitting on this post.

Prentious? Check. Self righteous? Check. Patronising? Check. Left the board...

...Oh, hang on. You bastards made him run away.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2005, 06:45:13 PM »

Kentucky Fried, I'm definitely going to buy that book. I've read some of Koontz's books, but never heard of that one. And Prometheus, that tv show still has a paradox to deal with. By completing a successful mission, it means that the mission never existed to begin with. To me this is the ultimate paradox. Unless you go back in time and just be a tourist and not interfere with people's lives. I think some people who watch movies or read books dont think about the paradoxes that the stories leave unanswered. But i'm one of those people that does think about it. I may just scrap my 2nd novel because I just cant get over the paradox factor.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2005, 12:31:31 AM »

I promise u will love that book if u buy it. it is definitely one of koontz' best!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
badapple81
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2005, 06:06:05 AM »

I know there are alot of paradoxes concerning the issue of time travel. And most people don't think it will ever be achieved. Hell, isn't time travel itself the ultimate paradox?? ? ? Since GNR fans are just as smart, if not smarter, than everyone else, I have a question. If a major breakthrough was made concerning the issue of time travel, do you think that would prove that God doesn't exist?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Because I cant imagine God allowing something as insane as time travel to occur. You could in effect become Christ-like, by going back and erasing your sins. And also, if you went back, just meeting one different person would set off a chain reaction that could never be changed. If you tried to change it, you would just create a new chain reaction from the chain reaction you created the first time you went back.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? And as another example, let's say there's a girl from your past that you always liked, but were afraid to ask her out. So you go back in time and wind up having a relationship with her. By doing this, you have changed everything. You altered the course of the girl's life, and you altered the course of every person's life who would have met her if you hadn't gone back in time. So basically, your desire to have sex with a high school crush would, in effect, destroy thousands of destinies.? Time Travel would allow one man to play the role of God. And doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible about man being beneath God? That we can't aspire to anything God-like? Do you think proving the existence of time travel would, at the same time, disprove the existence of God??

You've been hanging with the Doc way too much!
Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2005, 02:58:30 PM »

Kentucky Fried, I'm definitely going to buy that book. I've read some of Koontz's books, but never heard of that one. And Prometheus, that tv show still has a paradox to deal with. By completing a successful mission, it means that the mission never existed to begin with. To me this is the ultimate paradox. Unless you go back in time and just be a tourist and not interfere with people's lives. I think some people who watch movies or read books dont think about the paradoxes that the stories leave unanswered. But i'm one of those people that does think about it. I may just scrap my 2nd novel because I just cant get over the paradox factor.

funny thing is that most of my convos dealing with time travel adn movies/shows deal witht eh failure of their preventing teh paradox, to me the way that it was dealt with leaves fewer internal paradoxes then if they had to go back afterwards because they never returned to the future they existed in teh past to attempt to maintain teh timeline as best as possible.

with ST: timetravel....er i mean enterprise the show called "regeneration" dealt with the borg an wreckage that was found in the artic that was left over from the movie first contact.... it created a major paradox.... as no mention of the borg was known until the time our friend "q" sent the enterprise out into teh delta quadrent to encounter them..... and agin @ wolf 359 there was no mention of these beings being simlar to that of some beings encountered and destroyed by captain archer and crew pre formation of the federation.

so all and all the easiest way to deal witht eh paradox is to accept that they exist, and follow the line of SG... or simply make it into a multivers of reality and go from there

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2005, 06:13:01 PM »

Prometheus, what show do you think deals with this issue the best? I would like to see the tv show you mentioned earlier. I think Back to the Future part 2 does a pretty good job at it. But even it has discrepancies. Haven't seen it in years so I cant judge it completely LOL!! Another question: Do you think it would be possible to travel into the future since it hasn't happened yet?

Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2005, 08:30:07 PM »

haha.... well i have those 2 parts of the stargate show here on my computer... so if you want to get them let me know

but for traveling intot he future since you used bttf:2 ill use that one.... if time travel was possible you could travel into the future though the future that you travel to would be the one that was set in motion based on your lif upto that point, and what would happen accordingly.... so the whole bit of MJF getting into an accident that casue a life change within him that was witnessed by his gf/wife in the futrue resulting in his getting fired(future self) the knowlege and lessons learned by MJF in BTTF:3 allowed him to make a more evolved choice and change his future. in essence he took a different path of divergence then orgionally so anything that was based upon him and his life would be altered to his new future. sort of like changing your own past so that you would win the lotto..... the one thing to remember with winning the lotto is that for teh most part as long as you ahve no direct contact with anyone other then what you normaly would have the same numbers would still be drawn for the lotto.... so those remaning static would allow you to give your past self every winning lotto ticket number the world over up till the point that you went back in time and so long as teh process was not changed those numbers would come up and you could win the lotto every week... in theory of course

knut
Who needs custom titles anyway?
Headliner

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2005, 10:47:22 AM »

You can 'travel' forward in time if that helps in any way in this tread?
 Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: