Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 03:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The eternal "Chinese Democracy"/"Contraband" debate.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The eternal "Chinese Democracy"/"Contraband" debate.  (Read 7954 times)
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2004, 05:07:54 PM »

Why must we compare. VR has no member who will be on CD, and CD has no memeber who is part of VR. they are two seperate things and why cant we enjoy them both afterall.

CD + VR = GNR

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2004, 05:15:18 PM »

This may be off topic, but in regards to FTP vs. November Rain.  In my opinion November Rain sucks.  I think it's an overproduced, over long, self indulgent piece of crap.  I thought the acoustic demo was much better, and I think they should have recorded it more along those lines.  Synthesizers, strings, fucking flutes for God's sakes? I am glad that FTP or any song on CB doesn't sound like it.  If that is the kind production CD is going to have then it could quite possibly be the worst album of all time in my opinion.

There?s a song called "You are fucking crazy" does it sound to you??Cause you are!!!!!!!How can you like Gn?R and don?t like November Raain.You are the first person I know that doesn?t like it!!!Dude, you?re nuts!!!!!!

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Old Man In Chains
Opening Act

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2004, 05:28:20 PM »

There?s a song called "You are fucking crazy" does it sound to you??Cause you are!!!!!!!How can you like Gn?R and don?t like November Raain.You are the first person I know that doesn?t like it!!!Dude, you?re nuts!!!!!!

I think I adequately explained why I don't like it.  I think it could have been cool with a stripped down arangement and different production.  To me it is the song the destroyed the original spirit of GNR.  Although I agree, most GNR fans like the song.  The Slash solo at the end is kind of cool.  

With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done
SlashFan
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 02:20:33 AM »

Argh!

After reading the other thread about how "Chinese Democracy" will blow "Contraband" away, and the senseless bickering over who's opinion means more than someone else's, and the eternal conflict between Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver, I've simply been reminded as to why I can't be bothered to post here more often.

Since basically everyone else here posted their opinons of "Contraband" already, then fuck, I might as well toss mine into the hat too!

Like many others, I was severely disappointed in this album. Now, since I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, then that means that I don't appreciate good music or something to that effect, right? If that's how you're thinking, then fuck off. I will say, the album didn't suck, but it sure isn't the greatest album since 1987 as K-Rock foolishly referred to it as. Sure, I definitely enjoyed "Sucker Train Blues", "Headspace", "Set Me Free", "Slither" and "Dirty Little Thing", and hell, "You Got No Right" was pretty good too, but the rest of the album did seem very mediocre and average to me. The music itself was pretty good, but Weiland's lyrics left alot to be desired.

I must also say that I'm concerned about Slash. Sure, the guy is one of the reasons why I play guitar in the first place, but for him to compare "Fall To Pieces" to "November Rain" was beyond ridiculous. Sure, musically, it was a very good ballad, but what the fuck is up with the lyrics? They're not even close lyrically! I literally thought my CD was skipping because all I heard was the chorus over and over again. Let me also go back to the lyrics. "Everytime I'm falling down, all alone I fall to pieces". It seems as though Weiland wasn't even really trying. I think that maybe I like "Dirty Little Thing" because Keith Nelson from Buckcherry co-wrote it, which helps. Weiland shouldn't have been greedy about the writing credits. I'm sure the tracks co-written with Izzy were much much better lyrics-wise, and a few should have made the final cut.

Basically, to sum it up: "Contraband" is better than alot of shit around today, but it sure as fuck isn't the best CD released since 1987. Bands like The Wildhearts, Buckcherry, The Darkness, and Beautiful Creatures have all released way better albums than this. Just because Slash, Duff, and Matt are in this band doesn't mean that anything they release will be amazing. Weiland really wasn't the right person to be fronting this band at all, in my ever so humble opinion.

My conclusion? When "Chinese Democracy" is released, it is going to blow "Contraband" out of the water. The title track, "Madagascar", and "The Blues" smoke anything on "Contraband". Is my opinion weighed more heavily than anyone else's? Of course not. It just blows my mind that TyRod and K-Rock can make silly comments such as "If CD is half as good as VR, then I'll be happy". Well, you're both in for a treat then, because "Contraband" won't even have a leg to stand on when Axl puts out CD. You both know that its going to be a great CD, but you both need to save face and won't admit it, but hey, whatever suits you.

OH OH! LOOK, HE'S AN AXL SUPPORTER, I KNEW IT! True, I support Axl, but I will be the first to admit, the guy isn't perfect. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that Slash, Duff, and Matt are invincible and/or excused either. If you like "Contraband", great. If you were somewhat disappointed in it like I was, whatever. If you're like K-Rock and think that this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, then fine. It may be a little scary, but fine.

Fuck, I'm almost afraid to see the threads that are sure to be coming when "Chinese Democracy" is released. Remind me to take shelter.

Again, I'm sorry for ranting, but the juvenile antics by the people on this board are just becoming too much to handle. Stop the first grade bickering, and let it fucking be already!

-Jeff

Get over it,who cares what anyone thinks.I like VR,sure they sound a little like the old GN'R,but the VR is VR and the now GN'R is the new GN'R,two different bands,I like both bands and I think it's all cool music. ok smoking
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 10:00:27 AM »

And hey, K-Rock, like I said dude, if you think that "Contraband" is great, then I'm glad you like it. As I said, its not a horrible album, I just find it pretty bland. If you dig it, you dig it, and hey, that's what music is, right? Fuck, I like The Darkness, you like The Darkness, and Neemo can't stand Justin Hawkins' voice. Now, I may disagree, but does that change his opinion? Probably not. Its his opinion, and its cool. Hell, he's foolish for not liking Justin's voice.  Grin (Just kidding, Neemo.)

Remember folks, I'm not an asshole, I'm just opinionated  Smiley

I don't know what it is. Just not in to it.  It may be that the Darkness is supposed to be bringing back "hair metal" but I can't compare them to anything I listened to way back in the day.  But I also said I've only heard a couple tunes (or I meant to say it anyway) and haven't really given them a shot yet. I'll get around to it sometime though I'm sure.

I like to listen to new shit (just for the sake of hearing it and having an opinion). For instance 'System Of a Down" singer is the FUCKING WORST. He sucks alot of ass. the absolute worst. If I think a singer is bad, I compare it to him and he's always the worst(I don't know his name) but alot of my freinds like them so, whatever, they are entitled to an opinion ( I just make fun of his crappy singing, and try to imitate it  hihi) But that gets me to:

Remember folks, I'm not an asshole, I'm just opinionated  Smiley

Thats funny shit but I AM and Asshole. And over opinionated. rofl rofl rofl

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 02:15:38 PM »

OK Burning Hills,

I have now listened to The Darkness, and all I can say is that I  LMFAO, now as for my "informed" opinion of them, Wow, they have some decent musicians in the band but I wouldn't say that the singer is one of them. Neat music, funny ass lyrics, bad, bad singer, and definately, 100%, absolutely no question, VR is a way fuckin better band, anytime, anyday!

But hey they are definately not in the same category in my opinion. Justin or whatever it is reminds me of Robert Smith (The Cure) at times and a goof at others. but definately a poke at 80's music (It must have started as a Joke). Velvet revolver is an evolution of 90's music. (And much more serious I might add)
The darkness will be done in a year or two (At the most) (I'm bored with them after 2 days). VR has serious staying power (A week later and I still can't get enough)

Just my opinion is all!

HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 05:51:05 PM »

Pure brilliance, dude! A lot of people viewed 'Contraband' as "a return to gritty rock n' roll", and while it's definitely a step in the right direction, at least compared to the overall scheme of today's music, it's nowhere near what most people have been saying. At best, it's a *good* rock record, nothing more. From what we've heard, Axl still has his magic, and a super band behind him, 'Chinese Democracy' will blow 'Contraband' outta the water. 20 years from now, 'Chinese Democracy' will be remembered as a classic album: 20 years from now, people will be saying "what's Contraband?"...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2004, 05:54:00 PM »

you are so right Jeff, i get your point n' you couldnt be more right peace

Like ive said heaps of times the album was rushed to fast, when the wait is over we wont give a shit how long we waited, we'll be thanking Axl for giving us a fucking great album ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
McClane
Headliner

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 11:14:48 PM »

You just  can't compare Contraband to Chinese Democracy...First, because CD will probably never see the day...and just in case it come out sometimes in the next 10 years, you will need to compare the 5 last VR records to Chinese Democracy  hihi

Living taking chances
Isn't all that it's meant to be
Dying with your face on
A t-shirt isn't all that original
LionGoddess
Headliner

" I might be a little young but honey I ain't naive."

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2004, 01:22:20 PM »

Haven't posted here in forever, most of you probably don't remember me. Part of the reason I stopped posting here was because it was the same old shit all the time. I admit I was probably just as guilty as anyone for fueling the fire, but it got old really fast.
I have been reading various threads on here over the past couple of days and it looks like things haven't really changed for the most part. Although I could be wrong. I think that it is ridiculous to compare Chinese Democracy to Contraband. If Axl ever does release the album than by all means compare it to Contraband all you want, but until then the discussion shouldn't even be had.

Just because you win don't mean you're the lucky one.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: