Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NBA Playoffs 2016
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2016  (Read 85656 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »

The NBA playoffs as a whole have been unwatchable.

Every game is a blowout no matter who is playing or which team wins.

I know I sound like an old fart... but today's game is terrible. Nobody guards anybody, so whoever has an off shooting night from deep gets waxed.

I miss the good ol days of Knicks/Heat.  Smiley

This. All of this.

The only thing I'll say is the Cavs actually played D last game.

But yes, to everything else.

Usually, I would skip most of the regular season, grabbing a few Celtics games, and a couple of high profile games, throughout the year, and then sign in for the play offs.

This year...I'm having a hard time doing even that.  I guess the game has just passed me by.  This isn't basketball, to me.  And what's funny is that the college game was, is, and I'm assuming will continue to be, played the way I expect basketball to be played.  It's much more watchable for me.

I have a few buddies who love the NBA... and I go back n forth with them all the time in our whtaapp chat about how weak the league is right now. They love the dunks and the three's.. and I just can't... The league is so watered down... IMO. I just look at the teams the Cavs have to play in the East to get tot he finals...and I shake my head. The West after the top three or four teams... is not much better.

I admit... being a Knick fan ... has not helped in making it the number 4 sport me for me either. It hasn't been a pleasant 20 years or so !

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2016, 09:31:35 AM »

I know I sound like an old fart... but today's game is terrible. Nobody guards anybody, so whoever has an off shooting night from deep gets waxed.

Ever since the Celtics bowed out in round 1, I haven't watched much at all. I forgot it was even on last night. From what I've heard though, the refs were quite kind to the Cavs. It could also be a case of a bit of a letdown game for GS. They took care of business decisively at home, maybe they let up a little and thought they could coast to the championship. We'll see how game 4 goes. I'd expect a better effort from GS. I can't necessarily say the same for the refs.

The refs were about as kind to the Cavs as they were to GS the previous 2 games.  It wasn't that bad, really.

I honestly don't think the Warriors played THAT much worse than they had the first 2 games.  The difference was the Cavs actually showed up, played with some energy.  The Warriors have played 3 pretty lousy games...the Cavs just played WORSE the first 2.

I expect GS to show up tonight, and am HOPING we FINALLY get a good war of a game.  They don't want to let the Cavs back into the series.

And the Cavs obviously don't want to go down 3-1.

Both teams have big stuff to play for.  This one matters.  It'll either be functionally over or it'll be a brand new best of 3.
That's why home court advantage is so important. The refs curry favor to the home team more often than not, and decisively at that. Far more so than in the other major sports too. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. That's why GS has to come out focused in game 4 because they don't want Cleveland to think they have a chance. At least put up a better effort than in game 3. Doesn't sound like I missed out on much.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2016, 09:44:14 AM »

This. All of this.

Usually, I would skip most of the regular season, grabbing a few Celtics games, and a couple of high profile games, throughout the year, and then sign in for the play offs.

This year...I'm having a hard time doing even that.  I guess the game has just passed me by.  This isn't basketball, to me.  And what's funny is that the college game was, is, and I'm assuming will continue to be, played the way I expect basketball to be played.  It's much more watchable for me.

I have a few buddies who love the NBA... and I go back n forth with them all the time in our whtaapp chat about how weak the league is right now. They love the dunks and the three's.. and I just can't... The league is so watered down... IMO. I just look at the teams the Cavs have to play in the East to get tot he finals...and I shake my head. The West after the top three or four teams... is not much better.

I admit... being a Knick fan ... has not helped in making it the number 4 sport me for me either. It hasn't been a pleasant 20 years or so !

The NBA is #4 for me as well. MLB & NFL are at the top, then NCAA hoops. Hockey left the equation when the Whalers left Hartford. They were my team. I couldn't bring myself to become a Bruins fan because they were such rivals of the Whale back in the day. Instead I settle for UConn basketball as my 4th major sports team. Even though they're in a crap conference, I enjoy those games far more than a random Celtics game on a given night.

But it really does matter how good your team is. The Celtics have been much more exciting to watch the last few seasons and their future is pretty bright. But I know realistically they are nowhere close to being a true contender. It's so hard to build a winner in the NBA. There's a lot of luck involved. You need to suck the right years and make good on your draft picks. Somehow you need to acquire a superstar and a few other supporting stars along the way. That's what makes what Golden St has done so impressive. They built that team primarily through the draft. That's a hard way to do it, and it rarely happens.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2016, 09:45:18 AM »

Anyone but LeBron, I always say.

I'm getting in to the "anyone but Curry" mode more and more.

I appreciate his game but something makes me wish someone would smack that damn mouth guard off his face.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2016, 09:57:51 AM »

This. All of this.

The NBA is #4 for me as well. MLB & NFL are at the top, then NCAA hoops. Hockey left the equation when the Whalers left Hartford. They were my team. I couldn't bring myself to become a Bruins fan because they were such rivals of the Whale back in the day. Instead I settle for UConn basketball as my 4th major sports team. Even though they're in a crap conference, I enjoy those games far more than a random Celtics game on a given night.

But it really does matter how good your team is. The Celtics have been much more exciting to watch the last few seasons and their future is pretty bright. But I know realistically they are nowhere close to being a true contender. It's so hard to build a winner in the NBA. There's a lot of luck involved. You need to suck the right years and make good on your draft picks. Somehow you need to acquire a superstar and a few other supporting stars along the way. That's what makes what Golden St has done so impressive. They built that team primarily through the draft. That's a hard way to do it, and it rarely happens.

I am not a big NCAA guy... basketball or football... the NCAA is so corrupt that I just can't support it. Plus I'm a Hofstra grad... and they waxed our football program! I'll watch the bball tournament games like everybody else.

You are spot on about the NBA... It's the hardest league to build a true winner. You could be the Raptors and get the first pick one year off from Lebron and you end up with Bargani... the Italian Stallion!

The Warriors crushed it with their big three guys... Especially Thompson and even more so Green who every team in the league passed on at least once.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2016, 10:46:06 AM »

This. All of this.

Just sayin... WNBA actually has some very nice basketball.  Great ball movement, all 5 players involved in offensive possessions, a lot of fluidity, it's good stuff. 
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »

This. All of this.

Just sayin... WNBA actually has some very nice basketball.  Great ball movement, all 5 players involved in offensive possessions, a lot of fluidity, it's good stuff. 

A friend works for MSG... so a couple times a year I get good Ranger tickets for free, never Knick games... he is always giving away Liberty tickets... I just can't bring myself to go!

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2016, 12:28:18 PM »

This. All of this.

A friend works for MSG... so a couple times a year I get good Ranger tickets for free, never Knick games... he is always giving away Liberty tickets... I just can't bring myself to go!

Give it a shot!  Well worth the time.   ok
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2016, 12:51:39 PM »

This. All of this.

Being from Connecticut....we watch a ton of uconn husky womens ball. Wink. I find it hard to pick a wnba team to root for, when we have one playing in our state u.

We do watch some games during the season...i'm a big taurasi fan. But its hard because games are few and far between on national tv...and the season conflicts so much with baseball (mlb and our 3 kids).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »

This. All of this.

Other than the mlb and nfl teams we are fans of...this is me..100%.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »

I used to love NCAA hoops a lot more though. I'd be right there for Big Monday, Super Tuesday, etc on ESPN. Nowadays it's pretty much strictly UConn games. Of course, I still think March Madness is the greatest sporting event out there and the first two days of the tournament are my favorite days of the year. But I used to know a lot more of the players. I'd love the NBA Draft because I'd be so familiar with all the names. But now with all the early entrants and foreign players entering the league I feel I barely now most of them.

Back to the finals, it's not officially over, but I think it's a pretty safe bet at this point. I know GS came back from 3-1 down, but I can't see Cleveland turning that trick. In the end it appears the East still has a lot of catching up to do with the West. That means any potential free agents would have a much easier time reaching the finals coming to an Eastern team, eg. Boston. I'm looking at you Kevin Durant.  drool

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »

I've been away too long from Fun N' Games.
Is anyone else here frustrated as hell over how horribly Kevin Love plays/has played?
He can't defend for shit, he's getting boxed out, dribbled past, and for God's sake he's missing shots from point blank range.
He is a terrible fit.
Kyrie and LeBron are all the studs Cleveland needs.  Surround them with 3-point shooters and above average defenders, and they win.

G-State up 3 to 1 means they have a 99% chance of winning this series.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2016, 06:46:59 PM »

Last night's game was finally competitive but the Warriors were still clearly the better team. The Cavs now have to win 3 in a row including 2 in Oracle including game 7. it is not going to happen period. The Warriors will repeat as NBA Champs. I said about a month ago that the east teams were playing for the right to lose to the Warriors and well here we are with them a win away.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »

Last night's game was finally competitive but the Warriors were still clearly the better team. The Cavs now have to win 3 in a row including 2 in Oracle including game 7. it is not going to happen period. The Warriors will repeat as NBA Champs. I said about a month ago that the east teams were playing for the right to lose to the Warriors and well here we are with them a win away.
True, but OKC was oh so close to taking the Warriors place in the finals. I think they would've had their way with Cleveland too. The West is clearly superior right now. Cleveland may be a 4 seed or lower if they were in the West.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2016, 11:19:10 PM »

True, but OKC was oh so close to taking the Warriors place in the finals. I think they would've had their way with Cleveland too. The West is clearly superior right now. Cleveland may be a 4 seed or lower if they were in the West.
No doubt, OKC blew that one big time. Under pressure they reverted to hero ball and that's not what wins championships. GSW understood everyone has to be invovled to win and when OKC reverted it was GSW for the taking.  Neither the Cavs or Raptors stood a chance against either OKC or GSW. The west is far superior and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »

The most entertaining part of the NBA playoffs was Charles Barkley talking about how Green should have punched Lebron right in the nuts! (for walking over him)

Would be real disappointing to see Lebron go down with out a fight tonight.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2016, 04:55:31 PM »

The most entertaining part of the NBA playoffs was Charles Barkley talking about how Green should have punched Lebron right in the nuts! (for walking over him)

I'd be surprised, I think he clearly went out of his way to bait Green into getting himself suspended, so I don't think he'd do that to just lay down tonight.  Regardless, Cavs will still probably lose tonight.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2016, 07:17:21 AM »

Any word on Bogut's knee?

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2016, 08:51:50 AM »

Any word on Bogut's knee?
It's sprained that's all i heard.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2016, 10:20:15 AM »

I'd be surprised, I think he clearly went out of his way to bait Green into getting himself suspended, so I don't think he'd do that to just lay down tonight.  Regardless, Cavs will still probably lose tonight.
I'm sure Lebron will try to bait Green again in Cleveland. It's probably their only chance since he's the only one who can contain him. Green has to be smarter and not take the bait. They're obviously a different team without him on the floor. I think the series ends next game, but a game 7 wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: