Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 12:14:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227860 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The evolution from AFD to UYI
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The evolution from AFD to UYI  (Read 2227 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« on: August 19, 2004, 11:53:19 PM »

Seems to me there have been few bands that have made this much progress and matured this much so soon.  I think that Axl does not get the credit he deserves for pushing the band to new heights that were reached on the Illusion albums.  It's pretty evident that if the others had their way, they would've recorded more albums like AFD but Axl pushed the band to new heights.

Now please don't misunderstand me.  AFD is one of the greatest rock albums of all time, and for pure entertainment it's probably the best GnR album released.  But the UYI albums are far more sophisticated in all aspects.  The music was more complex and intricate.  The content was more widespread and thought provoking.  And the lyricism is leaps and bounds ahead of what was found on AFD.  This progression, I believe, is mostly due to Axl.  I think that his vision and his desire to get the band to expand and show the full capabilities of their talent goes overlooked too often, and for all the questionable moves he made he deserves more credit than he gets for pushing the band to the realms that were reached on the UYI albums.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 02:57:04 PM »

beer I always thought the same.  The growth of the old band was amazing. 85-91

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 05:08:11 AM »

Without a doubt I mean if Axl didn't push the band, the band would have been called flavour of the month we don't need AFD again I think Axl is so great Guns would have gone down and down if they didn't do anything different just a shame Slash didn't realize that.

EEEERRRR Little boy
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 09:31:17 PM »

I think Axl is one of those people who at least lyrically has to write what is goin one with him at that time. AFD lyrically is more of a party album. As far as musically the piano songs definitly adds a bluesier feel to it, which is a pretty big leap. Even with lies it was their sophomore effort and some of those songs were written and played so complex it's really impressive.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: