Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:46:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Axl's War Quote"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Axl's War Quote"  (Read 29776 times)
SammyD1st
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 01:23:29 PM »

Indiana 1991:

[after playing Civil War] "... We'll dedicate that to all the military people that are here tonight. I think anybody in their right mind, anybody that has a brain at all, wasn't too excited with the concept of going to war. But once we're in it, I think you're a fucking asshole not to fucking root for our side.  I mean, I met all these people: 'we shouldn't be having a fucking war' - well, it's too late ASSHOLE!"

The mp3: http://download.yousendit.com/99ECC4C9650879BA

- SammyD1st
robbyr1
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 01:36:46 PM »

agreeance
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »

Thanks sammyD

Don?t be surprised dude, some people talk as if they knew it all about Axl^^

Didn't Rainfox say in his mind?  And I think he's not wrong.

"i think that anybody in their right mind, anybody that has a brain at all, wasnt too excited with the concept of going to war, but once we were in it.....................Well its too late asshole
ThatGuy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 02:16:29 PM »

no one gives a fuck about musician's political views. 

imagine this, top rolled down, 4 pumps of l.a. looks in your hair, crusing down the highway, getting roadhead while jamming You Could Be Mine!
GeraldFord
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006, 02:20:18 PM »

Considering Robin Finck has a link to moveon.org (last I checked) not everyone in the GN'R camp would agree with Axl's (1991) comments. It would seem that Robin is on the left.

Still, I'd like to hear Axl's two cents on the current war.

The whole "if you dont want our side to win. you're an asshole" comments are stupid anyway. NO ONE wants to see anyone killed, but you can still strongly disagree with a war.

Sorry Axl, I disagree with you on this one.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:24:05 PM by GeraldFord » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 02:24:23 PM »

Axl's a rock star, not a political scientist. 

Neither are you.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 02:26:04 PM »

I like the fact Axl doesn't rant about his political views. Everyone has a right to their own opinion on this and I hate artists who cram their political agenda down their audiences throat. People go to a concert to see the performer's art and music, not to be preached to on what they should think about a certain issue.

I was going to offer my extra Barbra Streisand ticket to you...........I guess I'll give it to Kujo instead.

no one gives a fuck about musician's political views. 

By the looks of this thread, it appears that they do.

Considering Robin Finck has a link to moveon.org (last I checked) not everyone in the GN'R camp would agree with Axl's (1991) comments. It would seem that Robin is on the left.

I'm quite sure Tommy is against the war also. Most people are these days.

1991 and this war are two different things anyway.

Nobody is "against the troops", rather "against the war." If anything the left side of the aisle is more concerned about our soldiers well being: 1) That they should not die for a pack of lies 2) That they should not be stuck in the cross fire of a civil war. 

I digress...........
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:36:28 PM by Foley For Speaker » Logged
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 02:27:41 PM »

Hey everyone

This has been killing me for ages cos ive wanted to watch this show but cant remember which one it is. I own the bootleg, but dont want to sift through every show to find it.

Anyway, its where axl rants on about the war in the middle east would have been the iraq/kuwait conflict. It was in the use your illusion era, and I think he said it as an intro to civil war (i think but may be wrong).

But he says something like:

"We all hate war, but if you dont support our troops when we are over there then you are a fucking idiot" or something like that.
listen this,and this is reason why i like Axl

and ofcourse,you aren't right

I have never seen so many tree
GeraldFord
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 02:31:32 PM »

links from Robin's page.

www.jcf.org
www.alternet.org
www.moveOn.org
www.alexgrey.net
www.vitkovsky.com
www.seussville.com
www.gearrentals.com
www.mitchellmay.com
www.visualthesaurus.com
www.seaox.com/thich.html
www.sustainablevillage.com
www.circleoflifefoundation.org
www.philosophy.org/index2.html
www.uscampaignforburma.org
www.cropcircleconnector.com
www.meinradcraighead.com
www.thesunmagazine.org
www.mrpicassohead.com
www.analogman.com
www.jeffbridges.com
www.oddoblong.com
www.postpals.co.uk
www.justgive.org
www.noohra.com
www.planusa.org
www.kcrw.com
?
Seems like Robin is on the left. Good for him.
Natasha23
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2006, 02:34:14 PM »

Considering Robin Finck has a link to moveon.org (last I checked) not everyone in the GN'R camp would agree with Axl's (1991) comments.

Still, I'd like to hear Axl's two cents on the current war.

The whole "if you dont want our side to win. you're an asshole" comments are stupid anyway. NO ONE wants to see anyone killed, but you can still strongly disagree with a war.

Sorry Axl, I disagree with you on this one.

Absolutely! ?Saying we shouldn't be at war is not rooting for the enemy to win. ?"Support our troops" has become this meaningless catch phrase used to quiet the opposition. ?Supporting our troops meant people used to raise money for the cause... or how about all of the American women in WW2 who went to work in the factories for their husbands because they felt it was their duty. ?That's supporting our troops. ?But to say "I support our troops" and do nothing else... I don't know what that means. ?Maybe it should be "pray for our troops," or "wish our troops success and safety." ?And I say this about any war, not specifically the current one - silence does not equal support. ?You can be vocal about not wanting your country to be at war, yet still recognize the bravery of the people who are over there fighting. ?It's like "support our troops... in every way EXCEPT bringing them home." ?I don't understand that.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2006, 02:39:03 PM »

Absolutely!  Saying we shouldn't be at war is not rooting for the enemy to win.  "Support our troops" has become this meaningless catch phrase used to quiet the opposition. 

It always has been. It was Karl Rove's most clever phrase yet. A way to murky the arugment on purpose, making it difficult to speak out against the government. About as un-American as you could get.
Natasha23
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2006, 02:40:01 PM »

? Axl's a rock star, not a political scientist.?

Neither are you.

By using that reasoning, than no one should be able to voice their political opinion. ?He's a doctor, not a political scientist. ?She's an athlete, not a political scientist. ?We're all citizens (of our respective nations) and whether you're a politician, or an actor, or you drive a taxi cab, (and I can only speak for America) it's your right to voice whatever opinion you want. ?Being a rock star doesn't negate his right as a citizen to participate in the democratic process.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2006, 02:48:02 PM »

Neither are you.

By using that reasoning, than no one should be able to voice their political opinion.  He's a doctor, not a political scientist.  She's an athlete, not a political scientist.  We're all citizens (of our respective nations) and whether you're a politician, or an actor, or you drive a taxi cab, (and I can only speak for America) it's your right to voice whatever opinion you want.  Being a rock star doesn't negate his right as a citizen to participate in the democratic process.

Right, that is my point in saying "neither are you."

Few of us are, but that should not limit our right to say it by any means.

Using the excuse that somebody is a rock star and should just shut up is very anti-American. What makes America America is that we all have freedom of speech. What is ironic is that the same group of people who are so proud to "spread democracy" around the globe, despise some of the most fundamental aspects of it.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:50:04 PM by Foley For Speaker » Logged
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2006, 02:49:39 PM »

Neither are you.

By using that reasoning, than no one should be able to voice their political opinion. ?He's a doctor, not a political scientist. ?She's an athlete, not a political scientist. ?We're all citizens (of our respective nations) and whether you're a politician, or an actor, or you drive a taxi cab, (and I can only speak for America) it's your right to voice whatever opinion you want. ?Being a rock star doesn't negate his right as a citizen to participate in the democratic process.

Sadly once again SLC has taken one excerpt from my post to make it appear I'm arguing something different. ?Axl (and every other person) has a right to their opinion (I did write that in my original post right?). ?I simply said he's a rock star, not a political scientist meaning he's in the business of enterainment, not political discussion. ?Although I am not a political scientist SLC, at least I have a degree in it. ?I am by no means an expert or giving any more qualification to my argument than any other person (I've just been exposed to alot more than most). ?It is my belief that Axl should continue to keep his beliefs to himself, as nothing good can come from him exposing them. ?Just look at the Dixie Chicks. ?Anyone who would change their opinion from what a celebrity says isn't worth a grain of salt. ?It's not as if peace is going to come to the Middle East and the Bush Admisitration will withdraw from Iraq just because Axl Rose has an opinion. ?The reality is that most of you look up to Axl Rose and want him to share your beliefs so you can feel like you have something in common with him.
Natasha23
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2006, 02:51:14 PM »

Neither are you.

By using that reasoning, than no one should be able to voice their political opinion.? He's a doctor, not a political scientist.? She's an athlete, not a political scientist.? We're all citizens (of our respective nations) and whether you're a politician, or an actor, or you drive a taxi cab, (and I can only speak for America) it's your right to voice whatever opinion you want.? Being a rock star doesn't negate his right as a citizen to participate in the democratic process.

Using the excuse that somebody rock star and should just shut up is very anti-American. What makes America America is that we all have freedom of speech. What is ironic is that the same group of people who are so proud to "spread democracy" around the globe, despise some of the most fundamental aspects of it.

Oops... I was responding to the first part of the quote, not your "neither are you" response.

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2006, 02:53:35 PM »

It's funny, as soon as some minute quote that MAY offer a hint that Axl is pro-America or more specifically, not rabidly against American forces in the middle east, people come out of the wood work to ASSURE us that they know it's not possible.  God forbid someone have an opinion that doesn't agree with your own.  I respect Axl Rose for his musical talent; his ability to convert emotion into sound - not his insight on foreign relations.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 02:54:49 PM »

I am by no means an expert or giving any more qualification to my argument than any other person (I've just been exposed to alot more than most).  It is my belief that Axl should continue to keep his beliefs to himself, as nothing good can come from him exposing them.  Just look at the Dixie Chicks.  Anyone who would change their opinion from what a celebrity says isn't worth a grain of salt.  It's not as if peace is going to come to the Middle East and the Bush Admisitration will withdraw from Iraq just because Axl Rose has an opinion.  The reality is that most of you look up to Axl Rose and want him to share your beliefs so you can feel like you have something in common with him.

Who cares if it is a celeb or not. The only difference between you and a celeb is that their opinion is more likey to be published. That's it.

If a celeb makes a compelling argument for or against something, I don't understand why it would be a bad thing. It's obvious you only like free speech if it is something you agree with. Everybody else is "stupid" or "not worth a grain of salt".  hihi

SLCPUNK
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2006, 02:55:25 PM »

Neither are you.

By using that reasoning, than no one should be able to voice their political opinion.  He's a doctor, not a political scientist.  She's an athlete, not a political scientist.  We're all citizens (of our respective nations) and whether you're a politician, or an actor, or you drive a taxi cab, (and I can only speak for America) it's your right to voice whatever opinion you want.  Being a rock star doesn't negate his right as a citizen to participate in the democratic process.

Using the excuse that somebody rock star and should just shut up is very anti-American. What makes America America is that we all have freedom of speech. What is ironic is that the same group of people who are so proud to "spread democracy" around the globe, despise some of the most fundamental aspects of it.

Oops... I was responding to the first part of the quote, not your "neither are you" response.

That's ok, I figured it.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2006, 02:56:58 PM »

It's funny, as soon as some minute quote that MAY offer a hint that Axl is pro-America or more specifically, not rabidly against American forces in the middle east, people come out of the wood work to ASSURE us that they know it's not possible. 

You are so easily wound up.

Why are you so angry?

Nobody is reacting quite the way you are making it out to be.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2006, 03:08:44 PM »

I am by no means an expert or giving any more qualification to my argument than any other person (I've just been exposed to alot more than most).? It is my belief that Axl should continue to keep his beliefs to himself, as nothing good can come from him exposing them.? Just look at the Dixie Chicks.? Anyone who would change their opinion from what a celebrity says isn't worth a grain of salt.? It's not as if peace is going to come to the Middle East and the Bush Admisitration will withdraw from Iraq just because Axl Rose has an opinion.? The reality is that most of you look up to Axl Rose and want him to share your beliefs so you can feel like you have something in common with him.

Who cares if it is a celeb or not. The only difference between you and a celeb is that their opinion is more likey to be published. That's it.

If a celeb makes a compelling argument for or against something, I don't understand why it would be a bad thing. It's obvious you only like free speech if it is something you agree with. Everybody else is "stupid" or "not worth a grain of salt".? hihi

What part of me saying Axl Rose or any other person is entitled to their opinion do you not understand?  If he wants to get on stage and go on a political rant, he surely can and he doesn't give two fucks what I think.  Christ, if I was going to base an assumption off what he would say based on quotes, he would agree with my stance, not yours.  BUt that isn't teh issue.  For the longevity and success of GN'R, he should avoid trying to alienate a segment of his audience.  That's just carer advice.  He's perfectly entitled to say whatever he wants on stage, (in America at least, Europe they'd attack him for hate speech.)  I'd rather Axl not mix the two, at least while on stage, and that's all I've said.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: