Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:12:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  $18million for a house ONCE owned by Axl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: $18million for a house ONCE owned by Axl  (Read 12040 times)
anythinggoes
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com:80/servlet/story/LAC.20070613.BCCONDO13/TPStory/National

So who wants to prove they are the biggest fan

Vancouverites may be getting used to house prices that break the $1-million mark, but a new condo listed this week proves that the sky's the limit when it comes to luxury living. The penthouse apartment at 1000 Beach Ave. is on the market for a cool $18.2-million.

Situated downtown at the northeast corner of the Burrard Bridge, right on the Seawall, the property has never been lived in - former owners reportedly include Axl Rose, front man for rock group Guns N' Roses, and the Russian Rocket himself, Canucks star Pavel Bure. Until the current owner, a low-profile, White Rock-based businessman, took possession in 2004 (for an estimated $7-million), it was an empty concrete shell. Nevertheless, it's proved a remarkable investment.

The owner (who prefers not to be named) said in an interview that he had the work done on the unit intending to live in it, but family circumstances preclude that.

The redeveloped suite offers about 7,000 square feet (plus a guest suite on the second floor) with double-height ceilings, a private, four-car garage and two additional parking spots, a boat slip and a private elevator that stops only at the guest rooms and the penthouse.

"There is nothing to compare this to, locally," said listing agent for Sotheby's Realty, Ben Kielb. "In terms of Vancouver penthouses, of this size and calibre, it's one of a kind. And, to the best of my knowledge, this is a new price point for a Vancouver condo."

Brian Naphtali, president of the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver, concurred. "It is certainly a new price point for us," he said. "But in terms of square footage, it equates to something over $2,000 per square foot, which is something we have seen before. From that point of view, it's quite a saleable property - and realistically priced, based on some of the sales we have seen. We just haven't seen anything this large before."

The penthouse is part of a condominium complex made up of six neighbouring buildings containing 252 units. The assessed value of the combined property in 2006 was $88-million, which rose to $120-million this year - an increase of $32-million or almost 27 per cent. According to minutes of an owners' meeting, the members approved the penthouse development - including an increase in useable living space from the introduction of a floating mezzanine - recognizing that it would add value and interest to the building.

Sotheby's had a number of agents in town last week when it took the listing, and wasted no time in getting them up to see it.

"It was a huge opportunity," Mr. Kielb noted. "There were agents there from Beverly Hills, Argentina, San Francisco. ... They don't see it as expensive - to people in Manhattan or London, it's cheap."

Two potential buyers from Hawaii and another two from Sarasota, Fla., have already expressed interest.

Although the agents are pushing the exclusivity of both the view and the access to the property (perfect for a reclusive movie star, for example), the interior design is also unique.

The creation of local artist/designer Omer Arbel, it features four backlit, chalk-white onyx rooms that can be lit up at night. The newly added mezzanine is an air-conditioned floating cuboid that offers a private office space, while a free-standing bathtub perched against a glass wall offers unencumbered vistas of English Bay.

Mr. Arbel, 30, created the main entrance lighting display for the new Holt Renfrew store. At 1000 Beach, he's designed everything from the luminous grass-green kitchen flooring to the furniture and flatware.

Although the condominium owners were happy to approve such a high-profile renovation above ground, they were less flexible when it came to points of common contact. They turned down a proposition to add a walnut door at the entrance to the elevator vestibule from the lobby, insisting it be made of sandblasted glass in keeping with the rest of the building. Likewise, new garage doors into the private parking unit had to be repainted grey in order not to stand out.

"The space itself is dramatic and amazing," the owner explained when asked about his decision to bring in Mr. Arbel. "It needed something extraordinary."

Of course, a new owner may have very different taste. "If they're buying something at this price, the expectation is that they have $1-million or $2-million available to tweak the interior."

Although Sotheby's considers the overall story of a property an important marketing tool, the interior design is somewhat less significant in negotiations at this level, said Ross McCredie, president and CEO of Sotheby's International Realty Canada.

Asked how much influence the artist's involvement had on the price point, Mr. McCredie answered, "None."

The fact that Mr. Arbel, who gives each of his works a number, called the penthouse 18.2 is apparently just a happy coincidence.

RJ1221
Rocker

5 dolla Spock bill!

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 05:30:47 PM »

axl lived in canada?  Huh
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:41:16 PM »

thanx for finding this anythingoes, i needed somewhere to store all my old clothes n junk.  think ill put a bid in for it  hihi

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »

He also owned a nice piece of land in Wisconsin. And I'm sure there is other areas he owned property at one point that we don't know about. Hell, Tommy Petter just bought himself an island along with Sun Country Airlines.

http://www.pettersgroup.com/EN/default.html

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:54:17 PM »

No:

the property has never been lived in - former owners reportedly include Axl Rose

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 07:00:25 PM »

axl lived in canada?? Huh

No:

the property has never been lived in - former owners reportedly include Axl Rose

/jarmo
Axl may have once owned it but that doesnt mean he lived in it

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 08:41:27 PM »

No:

/jarmo
Axl may have once owned it but that doesnt mean he lived in it

Of course he didn't live there, it says in the article no one ever lived in the property...
American Hellhound
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »

Didn't a riot break out in Vancouver on the CD 2002 Tour ?
axl in lafayette
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 10:08:18 PM »

He did live in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin though...
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 10:20:21 PM »

He also owned a nice piece of land in Wisconsin.

Already been stated. But, did he actually LIVE there or just own the property? That is the question.

lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 11:35:11 PM »

It must be pretty damn nice to have an extra few million dollars to blow on an apartment that you never live in. Oh to be a rock star...

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
axl in lafayette
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 12:21:26 AM »

He also owned a nice piece of land in Wisconsin.

Already been stated. But, did he actually LIVE there or just own the property? That is the question.
well he used it as vacation property or something as i read where town people saw him there in the 90's...he sold it a while back
Crazyman
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 12:26:19 AM »

He sold it in 1998...and I live somewhat close to Lake Geneva  Shocked
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 11:00:20 AM »

He sold it in 1998...and I live somewhat close to Lake Geneva  Shocked

God, no one cares about you, or where you live, or anything. How's Wiscompton workin' out anyways?

[This is a joke, to Crazyman]

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 02:28:58 PM »

It must be pretty damn nice to have an extra few million dollars to blow on an apartment that you never live in. Oh to be a rock star...

Well......not really blowing it if you turn around and sell at a profit.  Real estate is always a wise investment.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 05:04:35 PM »

As a real estate appraiser (not residential, commercial, but still) I would tack on a good 25% onto this property over anything comparable.

Call it the "Guns N' Roses Premium" (fans looking to buy high for prior tenant)
HA!

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
Alpachiris
Rocker

www.gnrla.com

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »

from www.gunsnrosesbrasil.com

Ax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 12:51:21 AM »

Yeah, it's too bad Axl sold it, if he had still owned it in 2002 maybe he wouldn't have had to fly up to Vancouver the same night as the concert in 2002 in an attempt to save money on hotel fees.  Tongue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 01:43:56 PM »

Article with pictures of the condo...not bad yes

http://www.luxist.com/2007/06/15/vancouver-condo-estate-of-the-day/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
anythinggoes
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 02:02:28 PM »

wow now if we all pulled together maybe we could afford it
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: