help starting on guitar (+Word of Advice)

<< < (19/19)

D:
I thought about going back and taking some guitar lessons

being self taught, I feel i missed a few things a long the way..... So i'd love to go back and pick up a few technical things, i missed out on.

then again, maybe it will kill my entire style of play, so i don't know.

would love to get better with my pinky

bugado:
Ho guys, this topic is awesome very thx to help  : ok:

makane:
You guys should check out this guys stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/user/pebberbrown

He's got some basic theory/discussion about techniques and some very advanced stuff. Overall I think players of every level can pick out something useful.

yeah, and btw. this guy teached BUCKETHEAD to play for years.

Jdog0830:
Quote from: makane on March 23, 2010, 09:51:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/user/pebberbrown

He's got some basic theory/discussion about techniques and some very advanced stuff. Overall I think players of every level can pick out something useful.

yeah, and btw. this guy teached BUCKETHEAD to play for years.

Now I am intersted.

Thanks for the link! : ok:

Joe

One.In.A.Million:
I know this may sound corny coming from someone on a GN'R fan site. But my honest opinion is that you can't get a better band to jam to, if you are just learning guitar. I have played guitar for 6 years, and I only play Guns N' Roses, and my playing has improved immensely since I started.

So at first choose a GN'R song with an easy chord progrssion like Used To Love Her or maybe You Aint The First. Then once comfortable start taking on more songs with trickier patterns.

Also a good way to get a feel for soloing, is to pick out little riffs or fills in songs that appeal to you. Like Sweet Child for instance, and repeat and repeat until you are confident playing it. Then as part of your warm up for next time, play everything you did the day previous. If you do this, things will start to stick and you will find yourself open to much more stuff you never thought possible.

Then once you have gained some knowledge of chords, have some fun by re-arranging different positions for certain sounds.

For example this is a basic C chord.

------0-----
------1-----
------0-----
------2-----
------3-----
------X-----

But you can re-arrange this chord as a power chord which looks like this.

--------------
--------------
-----5-------
-----5-------
-----3-------
--------------

This is a technique that Robin Finck used alot, he played chords in different positions but achieved the same sound. For example the breakdown after the solo in patience, it starts with a D chord which looks like this.

-----2--------
-----3--------
-----2-------
-----0-------
--------------
--------------

But during GN'R live performances Robin changed this to a power chord position, which was situated on the 7th fret.

----------------
---------------
-----7---------
-----7--------
-----5---------
----------------

This is a helpfull thing for beginners to learn, as it will open your mind to the possibilities of what you can do. So I would say practice alot, keep things fresh, and always listen to Guns N' Roses.

What more can I say... ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page