Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Best Running Back Of All Time....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Running Back Of All Time....  (Read 10681 times)
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« on: September 22, 2006, 10:16:15 AM »

I am a Jets fan but the best running back of all time IS Barry Sanders.....If someone wants to argue that it is Jim Brown, I would not have a problem with that....I wasn't alive when he played but he WAS Superman. I have a lot of footage on him. The only other name in this argument to me could be Walter Payton....but that's it. Anyway....Barry Sanders = Best running back of all time......Who disagrees?.....

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 10:30:53 AM »

I disagree for the following reasons:

1.? He was mediocre in cold weather, grass (check out his career stats playing in Green Bay);

2.? He was useless in short yardage and goal line situations;

3.? After several of his spectacular maneuvers to get behind the defense, he'd almost always get caught from behind; and

4.? He ran for negative yardage in a playoff game (again, vs. Green Bay; was something like 15 rushes for -7 yards), which is beyond unacceptable if you want to call yourself the greatest of all time.?

Jim Brown was the best by far.? I'll just agree that Barry Sanders was the best highlight reel guy.

?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:33:15 AM by GeorgeSteele » Logged
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:35:53 AM »

1. Jim Brown (2 NFL championships with no one around him-- come on, Milt Plum at QB?)
2. Barry Sanders (Best highlight reel guy, did it with QB's like Rodney Peete, Scott Mitchell, and only two decent players on the o-line in Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover)
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith (only the top yardage guy because of an amazing offensive line, great QB, and great WR's-- Barry and Brown had NONE of those)

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 10:47:12 AM »

1.? He was mediocre in cold weather, grass (check out his career stats playing in Green Bay);

3.? After several of his spectacular maneuvers to get behind the defense, he'd almost always get caught from behind; and

4.? He ran for negative yardage in a playoff game (again, vs. Green Bay; was something like 15 rushes for -7 yards), which is beyond unacceptable if you want to call yourself the greatest of all time.?

Jim Brown was the best by far.? I'll just agree that Barry Sanders was the best highlight reel guy.

?

Well, you're wrong with a few things....Barry's lifetime avg per carry is better on grass than on turf.....he NEVER got caught from behind...I have a shit load of tape...of entire games....HE RAN A 4.3- 40. He was great at short yardage when given the chance....early in his career he was fine....but then Detroit started using bigger backs because the entire defense would know that he was getting the ball and they NEVER play-actioned with him.....The Green Bay game??  did you see the WONDERFUL blocking he got in that game....shitty qb and shitty line = everyone gang up on Barry....he didn't have ONE carry that game where he didn't get hit at least once as soon as he got the ball...and that was one game on a bad team that barely made the playoffs...Barry has had good playoff games before......as great as he was, they completely misused him for his entire career....who was there top notch coach? ummmm, yeah moron # 1 an # 2.....they should have used him like they use L.T for San Diego.......Jim Brown will always be the man but he NEVER played for shitty teams like Barry..

Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 10:50:29 AM »

1. Jim Brown (2 NFL championships with no one around him-- come on, Milt Plum at QB?)
2. Barry Sanders (Best highlight reel guy, did it with QB's like Rodney Peete, Scott Mitchell, and only two decent players on the o-line in Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover)
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith (only the top yardage guy because of an amazing offensive line, great QB, and great WR's-- Barry and Brown had NONE of those)

Jim Brown had a terrific offensive line for several years and a good defense to get him back on the field.....it was also a much different game then.....what's funny is that the only other good runner in the league at the time was Jim Taylor.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 10:56:14 AM »

No question he benefitted tremendously from the great players around him - but, even during the Cowboys' dynasty in the early/mid 90s, if Emmitt was out with an injury, they'd lose. ? Also, except maybe Marcus Allen, there's no one else you'd want to give to ball to on 1st and goal or 3rd and short for a crucial first down. ?Plus, he was a great running back for long drives to run out the clock.

Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 11:01:13 AM »

No question he benefitted tremendously from the great players around him - but, even during the Cowboys' dynasty in the early/mid 90s, if Emmitt was out with an injury, they'd lose. ? Also, except maybe Marcus Allen, there's no one else you'd want to give to ball to on 1st and goal or 3rd and short for a crucial first down. ?Plus, he was a great running back for long drives to run out the clock.

Very true......the line Emmit had was maybe the BEST offensive line ever...they were lights out......and Emmit was great at running out the clock behind them.....You know who would be in this conversation if he just played football and never got hurt?? Bo Jackson.....

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 11:03:47 AM »

?

Well, you're wrong with a few things....Barry's lifetime avg per carry is better on grass than on turf.....he NEVER got caught from behind...I have a shit load of tape...of entire games....HE RAN A 4.3- 40. He was great at short yardage when given the chance....early in his career he was fine....but then Detroit started using bigger backs because the entire defense would know that he was getting the ball and they NEVER play-actioned with him.....The Green Bay game??? did you see the WONDERFUL blocking he got in that game....shitty qb and shitty line = everyone gang up on Barry....he didn't have ONE carry that game where he didn't get hit at least once as soon as he got the ball...and that was one game on a bad team that barely made the playoffs...Barry has had good playoff games before......as great as he was, they completely misused him for his entire career....who was there top notch coach? ummmm, yeah moron # 1 an # 2.....they should have used him like they use L.T for San Diego.......Jim Brown will always be the man but he NEVER played for shitty teams like Barry..

Well, avg yards per carry is a misleading statistic because all it takes is one long run to mask the fact that you couldn't get past the line of scrimmage all game. ?

I'm sorry, I've watched my share of football and I've seen him get caught from behind on long runs.

As far as your excuses for the Green Bay game, he wasn't the first running back on a bad team that everyone knew was getting the ball (Walter Payton). ?Yes, the circumstances were understandable for having a bad game... but negative yardage?
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 11:06:18 AM »

Very true......the line Emmit had was maybe the BEST offensive line ever...they were lights out......and Emmit was great at running out the clock behind them.....You know who would be in this conversation if he just played football and never got hurt?? Bo Jackson.....

Absolutely.  Sure, he was a good baseball player, but he should have focused on football.

Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 11:13:53 AM »

?

Well, you're wrong with a few things....Barry's lifetime avg per carry is better on grass than on turf.....he NEVER got caught from behind...I have a shit load of tape...of entire games....HE RAN A 4.3- 40. He was great at short yardage when given the chance....early in his career he was fine....but then Detroit started using bigger backs because the entire defense would know that he was getting the ball and they NEVER play-actioned with him.....The Green Bay game??? did you see the WONDERFUL blocking he got in that game....shitty qb and shitty line = everyone gang up on Barry....he didn't have ONE carry that game where he didn't get hit at least once as soon as he got the ball...and that was one game on a bad team that barely made the playoffs...Barry has had good playoff games before......as great as he was, they completely misused him for his entire career....who was there top notch coach? ummmm, yeah moron # 1 an # 2.....they should have used him like they use L.T for San Diego.......Jim Brown will always be the man but he NEVER played for shitty teams like Barry..

Well, avg yards per carry is a misleading statistic because all it takes is one long run to mask the fact that you couldn't get past the line of scrimmage all game. ?

I'm sorry, I've watched my share of football and I've seen him get caught from behind on long runs.

As far as your excuses for the Green Bay game, he wasn't the first running back on a bad team that everyone knew was getting the ball (Walter Payton). ?Yes, the circumstances were understandable for having a bad gam... but negative yardage?

Oh those werent excuses...that's just what happened....Believe me, I agree that it wasn't his best game.....he played enough on grass where avg per carry IS a factor......the only time he has EVER got caught from behind is if someone had the angle on him or if he ran around a bit, breakin' tackles and ankles and someone with full wind got lucky.....that said....there was only ONE long run that Barry EVER had in his ENTIRE career where he didn't score a touchdown.....I believe it was against Tampa in 94' on ?a Sunday night game that I was taping......I don't care how much football you have seen brother....Barry always scored a touchdown on the long runs....look it up..

Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 11:15:02 AM »

Absolutely.? Sure, he was a good baseball player, but he should have focused on football.

Yeah....it's a fuckin' shame...he was ridiculous at times.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 11:37:51 AM »

Oh those werent excuses...that's just what happened....Believe me, I agree that it wasn't his best game.....he played enough on grass where avg per carry IS a factor......the only time he has EVER got caught from behind is if someone had the angle on him or if he ran around a bit, breakin' tackles and ankles and someone with full wind got lucky.....that said....there was only ONE long run that Barry EVER had in his ENTIRE career where he didn't score a touchdown.....I believe it was against Tampa in 94' on ?a Sunday night game that I was taping......I don't care how much football you have seen brother....Barry always scored a touchdown on the long runs....look it up..

Don't need to look it up, I saw it then, but I will admit it seemed to happen more often earlier in his career than later... for some reason he seemed faster in his late 20s.

Also, I agree that he was misused (run and shoot offense first few years of his career with no tight ends!); but in all fairness, he wasn't a traditional running back so I'd imagine it must have been hard to tailor plays and games plans to his unique talents.  All of his big runs looked like busted plays.
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 11:45:54 AM »

Don't need to look it up, I saw it then, but I will admit it seemed to happen more often earlier in his career than later... for some reason he seemed faster in his late 20s.

Also, I agree that he was misused (run and shoot offense first few years of his career with no tight ends!); but in all fairness, he wasn't a traditional running back so I'd imagine it must have been hard to tailor plays and games plans to his unique talents.? All of his big runs looked like busted plays.

A lot of them were busted plays....if there WAS a hole, Barry would run through it.....but there weren't too many for him. One of the main reasons for so many of the busted plays were this.......In a SPORTS ILLISTRATED? article years ago they had a pole for Head Cooaches on who they game planned for the most in the NFL.....Jerry Rice was #2....and Barry was #1 by a landslide..

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 01:10:24 PM »

Absolutely.? Sure, he was a good baseball player, but he should have focused on football.

Based on pure talent for the game?  I agree. As good a baseball player as Jackson was...he was a better football player.

Based on money and "injury factor", I disagree. 

Had Bo only played baseball, his career in that sport would very probably have been much longer than the abbreviated career we got in both sports.  But, given his love for both games....I don't think he would have had it any other way.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 04:13:05 PM »

Based on pure talent for the game?? I agree. As good a baseball player as Jackson was...he was a better football player.

Based on money and "injury factor", I disagree.?

Had Bo only played baseball, his career in that sport would very probably have been much longer than the abbreviated career we got in both sports.? But, given his love for both games....I don't think he would have had it any other way.

No question the money's better in baseball... and the 2-sport thing definitely made him his endorsement dollars.  But in terms of injury, I wonder if skipping football training camps, preseasons, etc., made him more prone to injury.

Then there's the "legacy" factor, which for him is that he was the most successful 2-sport athlete of all-time.  He might have been the greatest running back of all-time.  I guess you can't go wrong either way.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 05:47:24 PM »

Jim Brown.? Without a doubt, Jim Brown is #1.

It's difficult to rate guys inter-generationally.? Judging each player against his peers of his particular era, which is how I do it, it's Jim Brown by a land-slide.? He was as ahead of his time as Babe Ruth was to baseball.? ?

Sweetness would be in the pack just behind Brown, Walter Payton.? His love for the game edges him past Barry Sanders, who admitted himself he didn't have a great love of the game.?

I believe Emmitt was a great running back, but how much of his stats came from being on a dominant team like the '90's Cowboys?? His team was too good around him.?

What about OJ Simpson?? Definitely the #1 slashing running back of all time.? ?Wink

A guy I loved watching back in the day was Eric Dickerson.  His upright style and deceptive speed and power were fun to watch.   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 01:02:29 PM »

I agree 100% I was living in Dallas and watched  almost  all the Cowboy's games. They were nothing without Emmit. He made the team go. He was not the fastest, the strongest, or the most talented. But he had an unbeatable drive and toughness. He had the will to be the best. He did the most with the  skills he had. His offensive line? Come on, any and every great back has a good offensive line. That is football 101. You can't be a great back unless you have good to great blockers.

Having said all of that, I don't think he was the best all time (but we need to define "best" more specifically). I would say Walter Payton, now that was a great back who played on losing teams and was surrounded by a dearth of talent.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 01:52:06 PM »

Barry Sanders is the best in my lifetime.

Jim Brown is like Wilt Chamberlain. Brown had decisive physical advantages over everyone he played against. Not taking anything away from him but he played in an era where he was a man amongst boys.

Barry Sanders played on an absolute HORRIBLE TEAM.

WHy was Barry not great in goalline situtations?

1. He had a horrible Offensive line

2.Never played with a pro bowl QB

3. was the focus of every team.

He still managed to dominate, I havent researched the stats and my mind is a little fuzzy but didnt he go for back to back 2,000 yard seasons or damn close to it?

Imagine what Barry would've done had he played behind Emmitt Smith's offensive line in Dallas.

Not to mention had he not prematurely retired the rushing records would be so high no one would ever challenge them.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 01:04:42 PM »

Barry Sanders is the best in my lifetime.

Jim Brown is like Wilt Chamberlain. Brown had decisive physical advantages over everyone he played against. Not taking anything away from him but he played in an era where he was a man amongst boys.

Barry Sanders played on an absolute HORRIBLE TEAM.

WHy was Barry not great in goalline situtations?

1. He had a horrible Offensive line

2.Never played with a pro bowl QB

3. was the focus of every team.

He still managed to dominate, I havent researched the stats and my mind is a little fuzzy but didnt he go for back to back 2,000 yard seasons or damn close to it?

Imagine what Barry would've done had he played behind Emmitt Smith's offensive line in Dallas.

Not to mention had he not prematurely retired the rushing records would be so high no one would ever challenge them.

2051 yards in 1997.....at 6.2 yards per carry....those are fucking college stats...not to mention, 14 straight 100 yard games....an NFL record....he has many of them.... ok

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 08:04:52 PM »

D makes some great points about Barry Sanders.  Quarterback Scott Mitchell doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of opposing secondaries.   hihi  Aikman actually would, and did.

I'd have to put Barry above Emmitt.

Jim Brown was so ahead of his time he was just a freak.  I put him on a level of 5 guys who nobody can touch in their respective sports.  Baseball-Babe Ruth, Basketball-Michael Jordan, Golf-Tiger Woods, Hockey-Wayne Gretzky, Cycling-Lance Armstrong.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: