Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:19:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Beijing Olympics 2008
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beijing Olympics 2008  (Read 44133 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: August 08, 2008, 04:19:56 AM »

Beijing ready for Olympic opening

The Chinese capital, Beijing, is preparing to open the 2008 Olympic Games with a lavish ceremony.

The event will involve about 10,000 performers, and will be watched on TV by an estimated four billion people.

The lead-up to the Games has been overshadowed by issues such as China's human rights record, internet access, and air pollution in Beijing.

US President George W Bush expressed "deep concerns" over human rights before flying to Beijing.

Mr Bush, who was in Thailand on the eve of the opening ceremony, voiced "firm opposition" to China's detention of dissidents - while stressing that he wanted the focus during the Games to be on sport.

China rejected the US president's criticisms as "interference" in its internal affairs, and insisted it "put its people first".

Meanwhile, 40 Olympian athletes wrote to President Hu Jintao expressing their concerns over Beijing's handling of anti-Chinese unrest in Tibet.

Most expensive, most politicised

The 2008 Olympics have been described as the most politicised Games since the boycott era of the early 1980s, says the BBC's sports news reporter Alex Capstick in Beijing.

But after a succession of controversial issues in the build-up to the Games, the focus is now shifting to the opening ceremony.

Having taken seven years of planning, and a record-breaking $40bn in costs, nothing has been left to chance in China's bid to show the world what it can do, our correspondent adds.

An estimated global audience of four billion people will watch the opening ceremony.

It will be staged at Beijing's national stadium - known as the Bird's Nest because of its steel latticed construction - and some 10,000 performers will take part.

Jacques Rogge, the head of the International Olympic Committee, who has repeatedly defended the decision to let China host the Olympics, said he hoped the Games would help the world to understand China, and China to understand the world.

Mr Rogge also praised China's "extraordinary" efforts to cut pollution ahead of the Games, saying there was no danger to athletes' health.

Press freedom

A day before the Games, a BBC reading suggested Beijing's air quality was far below World Health Organization (WHO) standards.

It put levels of particulate matter (PM10) at 191 micrograms per cubic metre. This exceeds the WHO target for developing countries of 150 micrograms/cubic metre.

Mr Rogge said if the pollution was bad, events which lasted more than an hour could be shifted or postponed.

There were celebrations on Thursday as the Olympic torch made its final stops on a journey that has seen it pass through six continents in six months.

Patriotic crowds lining a mist-shrouded Great Wall cheered as the torch - which has been a magnet for protesters critical of China's rights record on its six-continent tour - passed by.

Human-rights group have condemned curbs on journalists covering the Games.

In a statement issued on Friday, the New York-based group Human Rights Watch said: "As the 2008 Olympic Games open in Beijing, foreign journalists in China face a host of severe restrictions, ranging from harassment to a censored internet."

8 minutes past 8PM on the 8th day of the 8th month of the year 2008. Pretty clever.  Wink

Fuck 'Em All.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:58:26 AM »

I'm not going to watch it much. I'll probably follow basketball - Go Spain - and Tennis, of course.

I do hope though Spain beats the number of Gold medals we collected in Barcelona'92. If we do, that's great and if we don't, better luck next time in London.

The olympics meant much more to me when I was younger, maybe because I was indeed younger - and those things have a bigger impact when you are a kid -  or because the spirit of the olympics has faded away with every sport being so professionalised.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:35:51 AM »

this shit i'm watching right now is magnificent Cheesy

i'll watch probably a few hours per day, can't help it and i'm not in school nor working so..  smoking
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »

For a third world country... they put out an amazing show.

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 12:17:30 PM »

For a third world country... they put out an amazing show.

might be a thrid world country.. but they are rich.. most of the people are very poor though, let's not get political
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 02:35:27 PM »

I'm glad it looks like my Prime Minister won't be attending Smiley

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:52:17 PM »

I just hope the USA men's basketball team get's their ass kicked big time!

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 03:15:23 PM »

haha i doubt it...the only time any other country was able to beat the U.S team is when we dont send our best players....anytime we do we destroy every country out there....
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »

haha i doubt it...the only time any other country was able to beat the U.S team is when we dont send our best players....anytime we do we destroy every country out there....
Only reason we lost last time is we sent a second rate coach in Larry Brown to Handle the squad.  Now you got Coach K, the best in Mens College Basketball, Well respected that people WANT to play for him, Kobe wanted to get him to coach the lakers before Phil Jackson returned. The team is young, and they don't have the attitude they are unstoppable, they know anyting less then gold is unacceptable. Not to mention last time Larry Brown didnt like using the young guys so he rested Carmelo for most of the Medal games, after he was the highest scorer in the first rounds.  Coach K wont be doing that. Larry Brown was the reason we didnt get gold in 2004 Athens.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »

i want the team that plays the most fun basket to win, most likely to be USA, another big reason it was a fiasco last olymipcs was because of the work with the team before the olympics, just a bunch of players, this team it's a team that has worked together for 3 years pretty much
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 12:12:59 AM »

Well, that's just typical. This is a thread about the Olympics - an event where many nations come together to compete and share culture ....and break down barriers............and yet somehow this thread has turned into a discussion about exclusive American domination.....Good one!  Roll Eyes  hihi

If you're going to be like that all I can say is:

GO THE AUSSIE SWIMMING TEAM OI OI OI!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:05:34 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 07:08:50 AM »

Well, that's just typical. This is a thread about the Olympics - an event where many nations come together to compete and share culture ....and break down barriers............and yet somehow this thread has turned into a discussion about exclusive American domination.....Good one!  Roll Eyes

don't fucking make this thread to be something it aint rant

If you're going to be like that all I can say is:

ok, then say no more now ok
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 08:42:56 AM »

Well, that's just typical. This is a thread about the Olympics - an event where many nations come together to compete and share culture ....and break down barriers............and yet somehow this thread has turned into a discussion about exclusive American domination.....Good one!  Roll Eyes

Jesus christ, Stolat. You must be the most annoying fucking TROLL I've ever seen. Just leave. For good. Please.

...Anyways, I was just watching judo - it was surprisingly entertaining, even though I don't know all the rules. Have to watch this stuff during the weekend, because the olympics air during working hours over here, so I'll miss pretty much everything from Monday to Friday Undecided

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 09:22:42 AM »

Jesus christ, Stolat. You must be the most annoying fucking TROLL I've ever seen. Just leave. For good. Please.

Um, I'm teasing......get it? CJ did...

You have to read the second bit too, before posting.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi Oi Oi........mmmm takes me right back to the concerts last year...... hihi
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:28:00 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 10:50:05 AM »

Um, I'm teasing......get it?

Sure you are, that's what trolls do. And you have been very constant in your style - it's actually quite recognizable.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 10:52:08 AM by Skeletor » Logged

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »

Only reason we lost last time is we sent a second rate coach in Larry Brown to Handle the squad.  Now you got Coach K, the best in Mens College Basketball, Well respected that people WANT to play for him, Kobe wanted to get him to coach the lakers before Phil Jackson returned. The team is young, and they don't have the attitude they are unstoppable, they know anyting less then gold is unacceptable. Not to mention last time Larry Brown didnt like using the young guys so he rested Carmelo for most of the Medal games, after he was the highest scorer in the first rounds.  Coach K wont be doing that. Larry Brown was the reason we didnt get gold in 2004 Athens.

yeah Larry Brown had ALOT to do with it...but that squad was WEAK!! wasnt Marbury on that team? lol
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »

GO USA  beer
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 04:03:14 PM »

ANyone catch the Russian Beach volleyball team?

I love Beach Volleyball!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 12:01:10 AM »

I think the gold medalist fencing chick is pretty damn cute.  Nice stuff.   yes
Torres was great tonight even though the relay team got a silver medal.  They mentioned she may have set a record with her leg of the race.  41 years old and a mom, how cool is that?   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 12:08:10 AM »

Yeah Torres was great and nearly caught the first place team at the end there. Agreed the fencing chick is pretty darn cute.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: