Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:31:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227891 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Would re-recording AFD be for the wrong reasons?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would re-recording AFD be for the wrong reasons?  (Read 9714 times)
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« on: January 11, 2005, 08:35:34 AM »

This review, of Twisted Sister?s re-release of ?Stay Hungry, came from Classic Rock this month. I?ve posted the relevant parts that I thought would make for an interesting discussion (albeit one that?s probably been made before)

Let?s Twist again

AT LAST, SOMEONE WHO DOESN?T THINK Axl Rose is entirely insane. Well, not too insane to nick an idea from, anyway. Axl watchers know that, deep in the grip of his meglomania, the ginga Gunner announced that he wants to re-record ?Appetite for Destruction? in its entirety ?as it should have been? (expect that around 2031).

Twisted Sister have beaten him to the re-record punch with ?Still Hungry 20th Anniversary Edition?, a completely new recording of their 1984 album ?Stay Hungry?. They build a more convincing case for it, too. While Axl just wants to purge people he no longer likes from history, Stalin style, Twisted Sister?s reasons is that they want to release ?Stay Hungry? sounding as they originally envisaged it.

They have a point. For a band so raucous and incendiary live ? their shows were a long, and a very loud, cross between AC/DC and a Christmas panto ? their records were tame things, very much of their era. It was a simpler, if not more innocent time. MTZ held sway, and the channel helped to break Ratt and Quiet Riot: Motley Crue were on their way too.

If Axl does re-cut ?Appetite? it will be for the wrong reasons, and it will entirely lack the love involved here.

Here today...ready to rock
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 08:46:26 AM »

According to the Kurt Loader interview Axl had already re recorded the album and completed it back in 98/99 i believe. He claims he re did it because they had to rehearse the songs anyway and there were some very 80s style sounds on the album that he wanted to get rid of (personally i dont know what he is talking about, maybe some excessive cowbellige........ who knows).

It just seems strange to me that for a guy who, back in 89/90 said  "i just want to bury appetite, i dont want to live my life by that one single record" has to go back and re do it. There could be thousands of reasons why he is doing it. More money, to fulfill the album contract with Geffen, push the original band members out once and for all.... who knows and we will probably never know.

Im all for hearing Axls new interpretation of appetitie but if he is going to put it out then Slash should do the same thing with all the rough cuts from the Illusion albums which he says he has. It would be interesting to hear both but i doubt it will happen.

Nice thought though

Jonx
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 08:48:18 AM »

I doubt this supposed re-recording of AFD will ever be released anyway, so who cares....Twisted Sister's case is obviously quite different.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 09:12:34 AM »

I think its a fucking brillant idea... I would love to hear AFD rerecorded for 2005/6/7 or when ever he would release it...

It would sound amazing and if it sucks dick you can always buy and listen to the original....

jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 09:18:55 AM »

I'd be happy to hear new versions of the AFD tracks but if they were to be released it would be cool just to put them out in a low key format such as as B sides or perhaps a download only album, exclusive to the Internet.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 09:44:41 AM »

As long as a re-recording didn't replace the original i.e the original being deleted and 'updated' then i can't see the harm - Axl is hardly likely to do a bad job of it is he? And even if he introduced electronic elements and cut out the solo's we'd still have the original.

Only die hards would ever buy it so it wouldn't hurt the GNR brand.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

Found a head and an arm in the garbage can

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 10:53:31 AM »

As long as a re-recording didn't replace the original i.e the original being deleted and 'updated' then i can't see the harm - Axl is hardly likely to do a bad job of it is he? And even if he introduced electronic elements and cut out the solo's we'd still have the original.

Only die hards would ever buy it so it wouldn't hurt the GNR brand.

I think lots of people would buy it.  Remember how well Greatest Hits sold?  It seems like everyone knows the name guns n roses yet not too many people really know their music besides SCOM and WTTJ.  GNR is a hot name right now and i think people would jump at the chance to buy a "new" release.

"This board isn't supposed to be a fucking smiley festival"-Jarmo 3-19-03
SADIS
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 10:57:22 AM »

I think it would suck bigtime if they released that. No matter what the reason behind it is. If Steven, Duff, Axl, Izzy and Slash would re-record it I would consider buying it, otherwise it would just suck. Not because I hate the new line-up or what so ever, but AFD was made by 5 people, and if there would come a new version it should be by those 5 people. Otherwise it would be a remix album.
shaun
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 11:18:15 AM »

I doubt this supposed re-recording of AFD will ever be released anyway, so who cares....Twisted Sister's case is obviously quite different.

The AFD songs recorded by the new band should either be released as an extra disc with 'CD' or released as 'B-Sides' to the singles  ok
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 11:26:43 AM »

The AFD songs recorded by the new band should either be released as an extra disc with 'CD' or released as 'B-Sides' to the singles? ok

Never happen, too many legailities..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 11:44:52 AM »

Would you acutally want Axl to waste even more time re-recording an already perfect rock album?  Not me.  Plus, if we are expected to embrace the new band members, let's see them create some legendary riffs and melodies on their own, instead of copying Slash, Izzy, Matt/Steven and Duff's work.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 11:55:08 AM »

I would like it, instead of remaster the original unrecognisable to keep it up to audio standard-

- they could release a re-recored afd by the new band as an addition to the real deal
a slash "my illusion" would be cool too since he brags abut the rough mix of uyi,

it would be great, i like the live version of wttj in docklands and i really think they could do great doin that as bonus-media Cheesy gotta love it...

share your view on afd here http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=17456.0 remaster or not to remaster....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 01:25:01 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 12:04:55 PM »

Sorry but I don?t have the slightest idea about that Twisted Sisters and of listening to their re-release.

Whereas ?Appetite for Destruction? re-recorded by new GNR in its entirety as it should have been
in Axl?s view, I Simply Drool over. drool
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 12:15:11 PM »

Just My 2 Cents:

That would be beating a dead horse to me.... no
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 12:17:26 PM »

The AFD songs recorded by the new band should either be released as an extra disc with 'CD' or released as 'B-Sides' to the singles? ok

I hope in a future "studio - bootleg"  drool

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 12:50:58 PM »

I would like it, instead of remaster the original unrecognisable to keep it up to audio standard-

- they could release a re-recored afd by the new band as an addition to the real deal
a slash "my illusion" would be cool too since he brags abut the rough mix of uyi,

it would be great, i like the live version of wttj in docklands and i really think they could do great doin that as bonus-media Cheesy gotta love it...

1st: AFD would really deserve a remastered edition. I would buy that on the first day.  yes
2nd: Can't wait to hear Slash's Illusions! That would be a real present for the hardcore fans. It was interesting to hear the Hollywood Rose demos, but a rough UYI... drool
3rd: As someone said before, I'd prefer an AFD remake by the original band. I don't really care if Axl releases someday his AFD (without attacking the others' royalties etc.), but please, no Finck on that record!  no

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Rhythm-n-Booze
Headliner

Nice shoes.

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 01:16:21 PM »

To me this sounds like GNR fans being greedy.
Seriously, what could he do to improve AFD? What can you do to make a song like WTTJ or Paradise city better than it already is? Adding electronic effects or some shit would just be stupid. Not to mention, nobody is thinking about the media's reaction to something like this. Axl Rose re-releasing AFD because he is living off the work of the 4 past members.
Of course, theres not a chance in hell he would ever do this anyway. And i'm glad because it's an extremely stupid idea in the first place.
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 01:49:42 PM »

I think it would suck bigtime if they released that. No matter what the reason behind it is. If Steven, Duff, Axl, Izzy and Slash would re-record it I would consider buying it, otherwise it would just suck. Not because I hate the new line-up or what so ever, but AFD was made by 5 people, and if there would come a new version it should be by those 5 people. Otherwise it would be a remix album.

This is exactly how I feel about the whole re-recording issue.  Initially upon hearing about the whole issue, I thought that Axl's re-recording of Appetite wasn't a terrible idea, but the more I've thought about it since the more I think it is hugely disrespectful to what the band Guns N' Roses was.  Guns N' Roses was 5 guys, recording an album called Appetite for Destruction.  Any re-recording of Appetite for Destruction that is being called Appetite for Destruction should be re-recorded by those same 5 guys or not at all.  Otherwise I have a few suggestions for the new, improved title, which include:

Appetite for Megalomania, Appetite for Jackassery, Appetite for Conceit and Appetite for Re-writing History
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 01:53:02 PM by echrisl » Logged

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 01:53:46 PM »

This review, of Twisted Sister?s re-release of ?Stay Hungry, came from Classic Rock this month. I?ve posted the relevant parts that I thought would make for an interesting discussion (albeit one that?s probably been made before)

Let?s Twist again

AT LAST, SOMEONE WHO DOESN?T THINK Axl Rose is entirely insane. Well, not too insane to nick an idea from, anyway. Axl watchers know that, deep in the grip of his meglomania, the ginga Gunner announced that he wants to re-record ?Appetite for Destruction? in its entirety ?as it should have been? (expect that around 2031).

Twisted Sister have beaten him to the re-record punch with ?Still Hungry 20th Anniversary Edition?, a completely new recording of their 1984 album ?Stay Hungry?. They build a more convincing case for it, too. While Axl just wants to purge people he no longer likes from history, Stalin style, Twisted Sister?s reasons is that they want to release ?Stay Hungry? sounding as they originally envisaged it.

They have a point. For a band so raucous and incendiary live ? their shows were a long, and a very loud, cross between AC/DC and a Christmas panto ? their records were tame things, very much of their era. It was a simpler, if not more innocent time. MTZ held sway, and the channel helped to break Ratt and Quiet Riot: Motley Crue were on their way too.

Twisted Sister shouldn't even be mentioned in the same post as GnR. ?There is a difference between a money grubbing parlor act vs. talent.

TS isn't any better live than they are on record. ?Which is to say, they suck. ?Yes, they have a couple of catchy anthems... but that's about all they've got going for them. ?

This is just a feeble attempt on TS to recapture some of their past "glory". ?I would hope that anyone who had purchased Stay Hungry would be smart enough not to be fooled again.

As for Axl's re-recording of AFD... Axl didn't say in that interview that he would be releasing the re-recording, just that it had been re-recorded.  I personally would love to hear the new recording. 
DemocracyRose
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 02:18:35 PM »

AFD is one of the best rock albums of all time(If not the best).

It would cool, if they released it in 2007, 20 years after the orignal AFD...

With the "new GNR" playing...

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: