Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:35:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Would re-recording AFD be for the wrong reasons?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would re-recording AFD be for the wrong reasons?  (Read 9710 times)
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2005, 03:30:22 PM »

the "new GNR" wouldnt be able to cope playing these classic songs, well classic style anyway.

html sucks
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2005, 08:01:35 PM »

don't do it man! don't do it!  AFD is perfect, and shouldn't be altered. 
I can understand that the new band had to rehearse the material and what not (and probably is recorded) but to release it, is stupid.  Is Axl tryig to erase something from the past?  Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven own all these songs equally to Axl (according to AFD liner notes, all songs were written by ALL members).  I don't think Axl was contemplating to release the album for $$ purposes, he probably thought in his mind the songs newly-recorded, sounded more up to date (and luckily the producer at the time, told him to not go there). 
As a gnr fan, I would feel the re-recording release is a slap in the face to the other former members of the band, and their legacy.  Back in 1986/87 a very magical event was captured on tape, and soundn't be touched!

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
jgfnsr
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 09:38:37 PM »

While I admit I would be more than curious to hear what Axl and the new band would do with a re-recording of Appetite, seems to me there's another album that should be a larger priority to them...
izzy29
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 01:05:49 AM »

Axl will never be able to re-release this album because Izzy wrote most of it with Axl and he would have to get izzy's permission to release it, and believe me, Izzy will never grant that wish!!!!! so keep dreamin!! Axl needs to finish chinese democracy instead of worrying about a perfect album that he and Izzy wrote... Axl just finish CD already!! If u want to become a complete and total joke you'll try re-releasing one of the 5 albums you already released...MOVE ON!!!
RICHEY
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2005, 02:33:51 AM »

Well if they do it they better lift Axl vocals from the 1987 mix, because there is no way he is topping those takes. Remember the VMAS...... WELCOME TO THE GUNGLE! I still have flashbacks from that performance.
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 03:38:13 AM »

just get linkin park to re-mix it-  seems like thats all they know how to do anyway,
dont get me started on linkin park
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2005, 05:55:32 AM »

Another band that has done something similar to this idea recently, although not just the one album is Anthrax.
They had fans select their fav tracks from Anthrax's 80's albums and the current (and best IMO) lineup of the band recut them live in the studio over 2 days.

I never liked Anthrax when they had the hair-metal guy singing back in the 80's so listening to the old songs with John Bush singing it's like hearing an new album of new kickass material.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd like to hear a newly recorded AFD, but only as a "bonus cd" for the fans of the new band, not as a proper re-release to erase or replace the original recording.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Fitz
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2005, 12:26:08 PM »

Thats a bunch of shit.  Redoing Appetite goes to show that Axl is an asshole.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2005, 01:06:35 PM »

My opinion is if Axl re-did the album to update the sound and released it as a seperate enity as the original album then thats cool. As long as you could still go buy the original!

But if the plan was/is to release a new version to cut off royalites deserving to the original members then thats just not right.

But how would the cover on a new version work? Would all the new members get a skull on the cross?! They would have to make the cross a little bigger I think.  hihi

izzy29
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2005, 02:56:12 AM »

Alot of people on here talk about AFD vol. 2 being made right before the failed 2002 tour so the new band could learn the songs. This is simply NOT TRUE!! Maybe some of the hardcore fans here can vouch for me on this, but I remember hearing about AFD VOL. 2 being made back in 1997-98. It was discussed on MTV and they said Axl had redone the entire album and it would include 'Patience' and 'You Could Be Mine'. So the way I see it, he's been working on this remake as long as he's been supposedly working on 'Chinese Democracy'. Maybe this could be one of the thousands of reasons why we haven't seen the new album yet. He's probably spending half his time trying to rewrite history instead of creating a brilliant future for himself. As I said on a different thread about this topic, i dont think Izzy would allow a remake since he wrote half the album. Or did Izzy give his permission? For Axl to waste alot of time on a remake, someone had to give the go ahead. In my opinion, Axl should totally scrap the whole AFD VOL.2 idea. In fact I think he should go one step further and do something similar to what John Fogerty did for years and that is this: When Axl does come back, dont play ANY of the old songs, just do the new material. If 'Democracy' is only a 10-12 track album, play all those songs live and also play other new songs that didnt make it on the final cut. Axl needs to get rid of his ghosts from the past, and doing what i just mentioned would be a good first step.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2005, 05:10:33 AM »

You are right. Axl mentioned in a '99 interview that he remade AFD, but 2 songs will be replaced. As far as I know he wanted to rid of Anything Goes and You're Crazy and his new candidates were Patience and YCBM.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2005, 05:30:01 AM »

uhm, they needed to rehearse the songs anyway so they decided to put it on tape
no biggie, be cool to hear that sometime,   Smiley

you can hear a newgnr version of scom here  Cheesy
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/GNR_SweetChild_BigDaddy-newgnrdotcom.mp3 right click that or click-

http://www.newgnr.com/newgnr.html

and here's the article with the rerecordin info ok
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

have fun beer

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
jgfnsr
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2005, 06:13:06 AM »

Alot of people on here talk about AFD vol. 2 being made right before the failed 2002 tour so the new band could learn the songs. This is simply NOT TRUE!! Maybe some of the hardcore fans here can vouch for me on this, but I remember hearing about AFD VOL. 2 being made back in 1997-98. It was discussed on MTV and they said Axl had redone the entire album and it would include 'Patience' and 'You Could Be Mine'. So the way I see it, he's been working on this remake as long as he's been supposedly working on 'Chinese Democracy'. Maybe this could be one of the thousands of reasons why we haven't seen the new album yet. He's probably spending half his time trying to rewrite history instead of creating a brilliant future for himself. As I said on a different thread about this topic, i dont think Izzy would allow a remake since he wrote half the album. Or did Izzy give his permission? For Axl to waste alot of time on a remake, someone had to give the go ahead. In my opinion, Axl should totally scrap the whole AFD VOL.2 idea. In fact I think he should go one step further and do something similar to what John Fogerty did for years and that is this: When Axl does come back, dont play ANY of the old songs, just do the new material. If 'Democracy' is only a 10-12 track album, play all those songs live and also play other new songs that didnt make it on the final cut. Axl needs to get rid of his ghosts from the past, and doing what i just mentioned would be a good first step.

Axl said that Appetite was already re-recorded.

In fact, that was done before much of the new material.  Axl used the new members to re-record the old songs, but also used the old songs to help the new members mesh as a band.

Mr. Rose just may be insane but he isn't stupid.  He's spent the last decade making Chinese Democracy, not Appetite for Destruction.
Rainbow Warrior
Headliner

Appetite for Rock!

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2005, 07:50:50 AM »

Has this AFD 2 actually been released on cd ... or is it just another thing we are all waiting for ?? Huh
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 07:52:34 AM by Rainbow Warrior » Logged
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2005, 08:18:20 AM »

Has this AFD 2 actually been released on cd ... or is it just another thing we are all waiting for ?? Huh

No it hasnt been released, Axl just has practice tapes recorded of the band before the 2002 tour that is all

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Rainbow Warrior
Headliner

Appetite for Rock!

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2005, 08:20:05 AM »

Thanks.? ok
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2005, 08:29:13 AM »

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2005, 08:59:51 AM »

You are right. Axl mentioned in a '99 interview that he remade AFD, but 2 songs will be replaced. As far as I know he wanted to rid of Anything Goes and You're Crazy and his new candidates were Patience and YCBM.
that would be perfect version of AFD  Wink
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2005, 09:08:45 AM »

that would be perfect version of AFD Wink

hopefully this won't sidetrack the thread, but, even though patience is a fantastic song having one acoustic number on AFD would break up the running order and the continuity of the album. it would also clean up the dirty, raw feel that it is, for me, one of it's biggest appeals.
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2005, 11:56:49 AM »

that would be perfect version of AFD Wink

hopefully this won't sidetrack the thread, but, even though patience is a fantastic song having one acoustic number on AFD would break up the running order and the continuity of the album. it would also clean up the dirty, raw feel that it is, for me, one of it's biggest appeals.
It could be electric... something like SCOM...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: