Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Would Robin have been selected if not for...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Robin have been selected if not for...  (Read 11444 times)
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« on: October 28, 2005, 10:32:48 PM »

the fact that he was in NIN and thus carried a "cool, new, industrial" label on his back?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 10:38:27 PM »

NIN is the only reason he was picked. Without that, obviously no one would have ever heard of him so he couldn't have been picked for GNR. Out of all the new members, I've always been surprised that he's stayed for so long. I always have expected him to eventually quit(for real this time). I dont really hate him the way some of the people here do. I am willing to give him a chance before giving my final judgement.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 11:31:52 PM »

You are both wrong. Robin would not have been picked if Matt didnt show axl him in the Cirque Du Soliel. That is where axl discoved robin. It had more to do with axl seeing him in Cirque Du Soliel then him being in  NIN. Axl said I want that guy to play lead when slash was still in the? band. Remember?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 11:38:09 PM »

the fact that he was in NIN and thus carried a "cool, new, industrial" label on his back?

Of course not, no one would have known about Robin Finck if it weren't for his involvement in NIN.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RichardNixon
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 11:41:24 PM »

Who knows why Axl picked Robin to play in GN'R. We weren't there. This is all just speculation. I will give him credit though, for sticking with the new band for so long. The music must be that good, or the pay very lucrative.
shaun
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 02:51:22 AM »

Robin rocks!!!!!
FlashFlood
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 02:55:39 AM »

funny how some people on this board still consider NIN modern...

poop
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 11:53:36 AM »

You are both wrong. Robin would not have been picked if Matt didnt show axl him in the Cirque Du Soliel. That is where axl discoved robin. It had more to do with axl seeing him in Cirque Du Soliel then him being in  NIN. Axl said I want that guy to play lead when slash was still in the  band. Remember?

Exactly.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 01:24:17 PM »

I bet Robin hits it well with Axl. Angry
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 01:37:12 PM »

Ya Hits him when he finds out GH2 is for real

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 01:43:15 PM »

So he was going to come to gnr to take over the lead, or share it with slash?? Who was going to be rythm..? SLASH..  That would be the ultimate insult to slash if it was to take over for him at lead...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 01:54:34 PM »

I think Axl went crazy in the mid 90's with his industrial paranoia. The man wanted GN'R to be NIN? Lips Sealed
Comparing GN'R to NIN is like comparing the Rolling stones to Slipknot. I let uou judge..
Imagine Slash as a goth? confused? hihi

I think Axl should have never met Yoda. Anyway, it's past.

I think Robin is a correct guitar player. Nothing exeptional. Neither mediocre not great. Just average. he will never be Slash.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 02:15:14 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 02:10:44 PM »

Here we go again  Roll Eyes

Here today...ready to rock
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 02:12:03 PM »

Ya Hits him when he finds out GH2 is for real
hihi
Ya but that's a wrong person.
a big laugh @ the greatest hits, too!!! rofl rofl

he will never be Slash.

What a relief!
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 02:20:05 PM »

this was not meant to turn into Slash vs. Robin ROUND 148

BUT

listening to Slash is like listening to perfection, he is so smooth with his legato, and he can run scales all over the neck, robin just basically stays in one area on the guitar, and has to calculate every next move (a common mistake for guitarists, but it keeps u as a player from getting to the next level if  u cannot break the cycle). slash is a monster all over the guitar, seemlessly mixes minor and major and harmonic scales, just totally amazing....everything he does on the guitar sounds amazing, from ripping leads, to big fat chords, to single note feedback, harmonics only in the right spots...the guy is totally amazing to WATCH and LISTEN to, he should be given more respect in the "Guitar Gods" world, even though everyone praises him, more respect still goes to other players, and i can understand Page and Clapton, but Jimi was NOT NOT NOT better as a player and sound producer than Slash. Hendrix was kinda sloppy and peircing, whereas Slash is on a nightrain ripping through the air smoothly and effortlessly.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2005, 02:27:27 PM »

the guy is totally amazing to WATCH and LISTEN to
It's good to see a guy agreeing with me on the visual aspect. Indeed, It's important when you "watch" something.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2005, 02:28:12 PM »

Who cares whos' better I just wanted to know if slash was going to be bumped down to rythm for someone like robin..
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2005, 02:32:30 PM »

Who cares whos' better I just wanted to know if slash was going to be bumped down to rythm for someone like robin..

Probably, maybe some minor lead work; if he didn't like it he could take a hike Undecided

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 02:35:54 PM »

You are both wrong. Robin would not have been picked if Matt didnt show axl him in the Cirque Du Soliel. That is where axl discoved robin. It had more to do with axl seeing him in Cirque Du Soliel then him being in? NIN. Axl said I want that guy to play lead when slash was still in the? band. Remember?

Exactly.

Well, not exactly.

To say Axl recruiting Robin?was based solely on his involvment in Cirque Du Soliel is ludicrous. ?They obvously knew the NIN guitar player was playing with Cirque Du Soliel and happen to catch him there, that's it. ?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 02:40:03 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 02:40:26 PM »

For all I remember, Axl wanted Robin to share the lead with Slash. I think I read a quote by Matt somewhere when he says "fuck, Axl wanted THREE guitar player on the line-up" because I think Paul Huge Tobias were already helping the band/Axl.

he should be given more respect in the "Guitar Gods" world, even though everyone praises him, more respect still goes to other players, and i can understand Page and Clapton, but Jimi was NOT NOT NOT better as a player and sound producer than Slash. Hendrix was kinda sloppy and peircing, whereas Slash is on a nightrain ripping through the air smoothly and effortlessly.
Roll Eyes
I can't even bother to answer this dumb statement because I know some fans are biased and praises their favourite members way too much. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: