Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Would Robin have been selected if not for...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Robin have been selected if not for...  (Read 11444 times)
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »

To say Axl recruiting Robin ?"had more to do with axl seeing him in Cirque Du Soliel then him being in ?NIN" is ludicrous. ?They obvously new the NIN guitar player was playing with Cirque Du Soliel and happen to catch him there, that's it. ?

Probably-

Does anybody know for certain that Robin played with NIN before or during his Cirque stint where Axl saw him?

I beleive that withought a doubt, considering how big a fan Axl was, that he knew the players who helped Trent, and knew Robin was one of them.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2005, 02:45:33 PM »

I would have never wanted 3 gnr guitar players while slash was there.. Guns n roses changed way to fucking much from what they started as.. Would they have added chris pittman too? I mean shit how many guys can you add to a once great band of 5.. Lots of guitar players onstage is really cool on things like camp freddy or something out of the ordinary to just rock out.. I had always saw nirvana as something really cool just being 3 guys and doing so good.. There's something great about simplicity in bands that can do so much with so little..
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 03:08:10 PM »

Robin never wrote with NIN ,he was just with the live band.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 04:43:08 PM »

For all I remember, Axl wanted Robin to share the lead with Slash. I think I read a quote by Matt somewhere when he says "fuck, Axl wanted THREE guitar player on the line-up" because I think Paul Huge Tobias were already helping the band/Axl.

he should be given more respect in the "Guitar Gods" world, even though everyone praises him, more respect still goes to other players, and i can understand Page and Clapton, but Jimi was NOT NOT NOT better as a player and sound producer than Slash. Hendrix was kinda sloppy and peircing, whereas Slash is on a nightrain ripping through the air smoothly and effortlessly.
Roll Eyes
I can't even bother to answer this dumb statement because I know some fans are biased and praises their favourite members way too much. Tongue

Yeah some fans are just way into their favs and are biased. Nice user pic... big Hendrix fan? hihi.

gnrevolution.com
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 06:34:10 PM »

im just saying....Slash is tops of our times. its not a biased statement, its a simple comparison. in terms of great sound and great look, no one touches him. jimi was naked w/o rhythm guitar fequencies cancelling out his peircing highs. now as a song writer, im sure jimi beats him in that category.

...weird analogy moment

its like Madden ratings....if there were "madden type ratings", what would the categories be, and lets rank everyone out there and average it out and see who is on top.

studio sound, live sound, technical ability, showmanship, creativity (coolest riffs), celebrity vibe off-stage

*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 07:59:36 PM »

I would have never wanted 3 gnr guitar players while slash was there.. Guns n roses changed way to fucking much from what they started as.. Would they have added chris pittman too? I mean shit how many guys can you add to a once great band of 5.. Lots of guitar players onstage is really cool on things like camp freddy or something out of the ordinary to just rock out.. I had always saw nirvana as something really cool just being 3 guys and doing so good.. There's something great about simplicity in bands that can do so much with so little..

When there were 3 guitarists in GN'R it was quite pointless, if they had had twin lead guitar parts and one rhythm guitar that would have worked, but there was little point in just having three guitarists for the sake of it and having Robin and Buckethead doing their own solos one after the other instead of soloing together. There was so much potential between the 3 of them that was never put to work

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 08:15:43 PM »

To say Axl recruiting Robin  "had more to do with axl seeing him in Cirque Du Soliel then him being in  NIN" is ludicrous.  They obvously new the NIN guitar player was playing with Cirque Du Soliel and happen to catch him there, that's it. 

Probably-

Does anybody know for certain that Robin played with NIN before or during his Cirque stint where Axl saw him?

I beleive that withought a doubt, considering how big a fan Axl was, that he knew the players who helped Trent, and knew Robin was one of them.

Robin did the Cirque gig after his first stint in NIN, it was something like 96-97 (I believe)?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 08:47:42 PM »

When there were 3 guitarists in GN'R it was quite pointless, if they had had twin lead guitar parts and one rhythm guitar that would have worked, but there was little point in just having three guitarists for the sake of it and having Robin and Buckethead doing their own solos one after the other instead of soloing together. There was so much potential between the 3 of them that was never put to work

Like I have said 100 times on this board and people cant see to understand this point. The reason for three guitar players was not to play the old songs but for the songs on the new album. Since its still not out we dont know how it sounds but the album has parts for three players thus is the reason they had three in the band.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
rainX
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 11:59:47 PM »

this was not meant to turn into Slash vs. Robin ROUND 148

BUT

listening to Slash is like listening to perfection, he is so smooth with his legato, and he can run scales all over the neck, robin just basically stays in one area on the guitar, and has to calculate every next move (a common mistake for guitarists, but it keeps u as a player from getting to the next level if  u cannot break the cycle). slash is a monster all over the guitar, seemlessly mixes minor and major and harmonic scales, just totally amazing....everything he does on the guitar sounds amazing, from ripping leads, to big fat chords, to single note feedback, harmonics only in the right spots...the guy is totally amazing to WATCH and LISTEN to, he should be given more respect in the "Guitar Gods" world, even though everyone praises him, more respect still goes to other players, and i can understand Page and Clapton, but Jimi was NOT NOT NOT better as a player and sound producer than Slash. Hendrix was kinda sloppy and peircing, whereas Slash is on a nightrain ripping through the air smoothly and effortlessly.

Did you just say that Slash is a better sound producer than Hendrix was.

have you ever listenened to electric ladyland? perhaps the sound that he created for burning of the midnight lamp?

"Hendrix was kinda sloppy" - anyone who says this obviously doesn't "feel" music, they "analyze" it.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 12:02:55 AM »

I bet Robin hits it well with Axl. Angry

I bet Slash still hits it even better, with Axl ok
sweechile
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2005, 02:03:46 AM »

BUT

listening to Slash is like listening to perfection, he is so smooth with his legato, and he can run scales all over the neck,, but Jimi was NOT NOT NOT better as a player and sound producer than Slash. Hendrix was kinda sloppy and peircing, whereas Slash is on a nightrain ripping through the air smoothly and effortlessly.

W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2005, 02:04:56 AM »

im not saying anything bad about hendrix, i love him, but in a LIVE scenario, and as the total package, he doesn't touch Slash. just listen to, and watch, some live shows and compare the two.
sweechile
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2005, 02:27:48 AM »

>>Hendrix was sloppy and piercing?........

How can any lame ass like yourself compare ANYONE, especially SLASH? ?to the incredible genius of Jimi Hendrix.? ?Yea Jimi was kinda sloppy kinda peircing,? ?yea? cause he invented everything these hacks called slash or any rock guitarist since 1971.
? you dumb fuk,? you dont realize that hendrix did what none other did before him, he created a language called lead guitar fuk everyone else, style.? ?he did it as a much slagged Black American, playing to a White audience,? circa 1967-70,? and PLOWED through all these White Supremass judgemental stupid asses.? ?You should actually try to understand the bullshit of the late 60's, dead Kennedys (not the band), dead ML King (not the blvd),? dead everyone who dared to buck the Hard assed LBJ, Nixon agenda.
? you can read for yourself thru the National Archives of what a job Nixon did for Saint Lennon even.

yea,? you got your weak slash posters on your beat-off wall,? but listen to his solo albums.? .......boy, nothing there in the slightest resemblence to a rememberable song,? ?ala,? Mr.? Hendrix.? ? ? Bow down to the Masters of Rock, and fuk the wannabees,? including the cool long haired drunk Slash.? ? although he IS my favorite Drunk guitarist of all time!!!? ?
Slash is the greatest guitarist in the history of mankind!!? ? Lets vote him in to the HALL OF DRUNK fame!!
disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2005, 06:08:00 AM »

From what I remember, I think it went like this. Slash quit, and GNR was without a lead guitarist. Matt wanted Axl to replace Tobias with Finck and bring Slash back. Axl decided to use Finck to take Slash's spot instead. I never heard of any three guitarist plans until 2001 or so.
RichardNixon
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2005, 08:01:55 AM »

It's amazing how Robin Finck has been in GN'R almost as long as Slash was, yet he is still the "new" guitar player. It's a shame that Finck hasn't recorded much--only the live album with NIN, some songs on the the "still" CD, and some other remix albums, and "ghost of mars."
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2005, 08:35:57 AM »

I never heard of any three guitarist plans until 2001 or so.
Same for me. It seems the early version of the "Chinese Democracy" record was made with 2 guitar players (Jim Barber recent interview - I noticed 2 guitar players). I've always been against the 3 guitar players idea for GN'R. You never know who play what, and it doesn't put the guitar players under the spotlights.?
I saw Oasis, they have 2 guitar players, without keyboards, and they sound LOUD.

and sometimes, 1 guitar is enough to embraze the audience. The perfect exemple is Oasis during the accoustic version of "Wonderwall". Just Noel Gallagher on accoustic guitar, alone, with the audience singing all along. Just 1 guitar here. http://savefile.com/projects3.php?fid=3369418&pid=166279 (wonderwall, track 13)
Listen to that and you will understand why Oasis sold 50 million records and has been the greatest European band since the Beattles? ok

GN'R should come back to the fundamentals. Stick with 2 guitar players and just Rock the place. Finck and Fortus complete each other, this is a great guitar duet.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 09:01:21 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2005, 08:57:57 AM »

Yeah some fans are just way into their favs and are biased. Nice user pic... big Hendrix fan? hihi.
Of course I'm a Hendrix fan, but it doesn't change the fact that Hendrix was a genius (if you can't trust me, just ask what others guitar players - Slash included - thinks about Hendrix).

Did you just say that Slash is a better sound producer than Hendrix was.

have you ever listenened to electric ladyland? perhaps the sound that he created for burning of the midnight lamp?

"Hendrix was kinda sloppy" - anyone who says this obviously doesn't "feel" music, they "analyze" it.

Thanks, rey. You can put "Axis" too, because it was recorded with only 4 channels - and still sounds awesome.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2005, 10:06:29 AM »

Yay, Jimi is the great original. headbanger

Robin is a guitarist of originality too. Subjective, aye but I ain't original on it Tongue.
Could be Sloppiness causes originality, as a Nobel laureate scientist says boo-boo is the mother of invention.

Listen to that and you will understand why Oasis sold 50 million records and has been the greatest European band since the Beattles  ok
I thought U2 is the biggest European band since the beatles but thanks for the link.

funny, the talk on the number of guitarist reminds me that this article on Kingcrimson's '21st Century Schizoid Man' (is a must if you ask me) reminded me of that article on the time of March.

this article
"King Crimson", says Adrian Belew, "does a brand of music that no-one else does, a sound that no-one else makes." Robert Fripp calls it "the sound of 170 guitarists almost hitting the same chord at the same time."

that article
Paul Buckmaster on his sessions with GNR during August and September 2002
"We'd be listening to a guitar part and he(Axl) 'd say, 'That's not nearly loud enough'. Anyone else would have said that it was the loudest guitar sound ever recorded."

Can't wait!!! drool
BD888
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2005, 10:23:14 AM »

BUT

listening to Slash is like listening to perfection, he is so smooth with his legato, and he can run scales all over the neck, robin just basically stays in one area on the guitar, and has to calculate every next move (a common mistake for guitarists, but it keeps u as a player from getting to the next level if? u cannot break the cycle). slash is a monster all over the guitar, seemlessly mixes minor and major and harmonic scales, just totally amazing....everything he does on the guitar sounds amazing, from ripping leads, to big fat chords, to single note feedback, harmonics only in the right spots...the guy is totally amazing to WATCH and LISTEN to, he should be given more respect in the "Guitar Gods" world, even though everyone praises him, more respect still goes to other players, and i can understand Page and Clapton, but Jimi was NOT NOT NOT better as a player and sound producer than Slash. Hendrix was kinda sloppy and peircing, whereas Slash is on a nightrain ripping through the air smoothly and effortlessly.

You are joking right?  Slash is one of the fucking sloppiest guitarists I've ever seen and GNR is my favorite band.  Have you ever watched the Use Your Illusion videos? GNR released those as the best of what they could do live when there were hundreds of other concerts to choose from and they knew before the concert that it would recorded for that purpose too.  I've watched so many bootleg vids and Slash has never played a concert without making lots of mistakes, usually plaing bum notes when playing fast.  Slash on record is awesome, and his performace live is awesome, but hey just like his dress sense he's sloppy.  I wouldn't change him either...to me no one captures the spirit of  Rock n Roll like that anymore.

Any you really shouldn't compare anyone to Jimi Hendrix, it's just not done.  No Jimi, No Slash.  There's no one to have come along that changed guitar playing like Hendrix since, other than Eddie Van Halen.  And Jimi changed everything we know about guitar.  Slash just made rock lead playing cool again.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2005, 12:25:50 PM »

Listen to that and you will understand why Oasis sold 50 million records and has been the greatest European band since the Beattles?

I thought U2 is the biggest European band since the beatles but thanks for the link.
U2 sold more records because they started in the late 70's. Oasis in the mid 90's. but I prefer Oasis, they were a bigger phenomenon than U2 at their Top of their career. "What's the Story morning Glory" sold 20 million copies,and Oasis changed the face of UK music. None of U2's album went so big, not even "the joshua tree". I think Oasis have had 10 or 11 #1 singles in the charts, all their album went to #1, U2 never went so big, even if they have leasted for a longer time.?U2 became big with time, not because they blew people away "in a second". Exept "Achtung Baby", U2 is a pretty boring band for me. Oasis is more exiting, they have more personalities,? and... they do better music.? ?Tongue

Oasis' success makes me think a lot to the GN'R one (even if GN'R was bigger): When they arrived, they became the biggest band in the world.

Oasis Main Road april'96 - Manchester - watch this concert, and then you could die. not before. peace
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 12:40:08 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: