Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:44:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Would "reunion" end GnR's Chinese Democracy era?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would "reunion" end GnR's Chinese Democracy era?  (Read 12840 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2015, 03:58:09 PM »

It's just somewhat odd, this disregard for plausible reasons and continuing the quest.

Just throwing out a few speculative alternatives that might have worked for him in some way.

I mean, we see what he's been doing and how that's all going, which I think we can all agree has just been gangbusters.

I guess I'm just trying to imagine if there was any way to improve on what is already a pretty awesome situation he's got going on. 

Probably not possible though, you're right.  Hard to improve upon perfection.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »

Just throwing out a few speculative alternatives that might have worked for him in some way.

I mean, we see what he's been doing and how that's all going, which I think we can all agree has just been gangbusters.

I guess I'm just trying to imagine if there was any way to improve on what is already a pretty awesome situation he's got going on. 

Probably not possible though, you're right.  Hard to improve upon perfection.

But if you have a big pile of reasons against and one small pile for, doesn't it make you go "Hmmmmm. Maybe it does make sense after all."?

So, playing a new unreleased song in say 2013. What's the purpose? I'm assuming your belief is backed up with more than "Uhhh, I would've liked it". Or?

Sarcasm noted.
Once again, so much for wanting to have a discussion. The silliness starts when you don't have anything else left.... Too bad. I tried. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »

But if you have a big pile of reasons against and one small pile for, doesn't it make you go "Hmmmmm. Maybe it does make sense after all."?

So, playing a new unreleased song in say 2013. What's the purpose? I'm assuming your belief is backed up with more than "Uhhh, I would've liked it". Or?

See, now this is tricky because you keep asking me questions and then bemoan when I keep talking about it.

I don't dispute your points.  They are valid arguments.

I just don't see them as so obviously the reason not to do it that you do.  Or in such strong terms.

One man's slam dunk case is another man's "well, that's one way to look at it, I guess".  That sort of thing.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2015, 07:12:53 AM »

What would be the biggest reason not to play new songs on a tour that's promoting the previous album, or a tour that's not promoting the next album?

What's the one plausible reason that would make you think your opinion is wrong? I'm really curious.

I'm sure your default answer to it is "he's not serious about it" or something. Which I already gave an answer to.
And if that's the case it's unfortunate that it seems like your negative mindset is obstructing you from seeing other plausible reasons for you not getting to hear new songs on Youtube.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:30:40 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2015, 09:14:10 AM »

(I'm sure this topic has already been raised somewhere else, but I don't have the time or patience to comb through all the threads that have popped up since the "reunion" rumors have begun to pick up steam.  The point is: feel free to move this to the appropriate thread if it has been discussed elsewhere.) 

So my thesis is this: Anyone who wants Chinese Democracy II * should probably not be rooting for a "reunion."  And by "reunion," I mean Slash and Duff joining Axl, Fortus, Dizzy, and Frank Ferrer ** on an extended world tour (because all signs point to that being the arrangement on the table).  I usually don't buy into false dichotomies, but in this case, it's difficult for me to imagine Slash being too happy with Chinese Democracy II being released under the Gn'R brand before or during a world tour that features him and Duff.  And, while I appreciate the optimism of those of you saying Slash and Duff could lay down tracks on CD II (like Bumblefoot did prior to CD I's release), it's naive to think Slash or Duff want any part of CD II, nor would they likely want to use a Gn'R reunion tour as promotional tool for an album they had no role in creating. 

So, let's say the "reunion" happens, what does that mean for CD II?  Is it indefinitely shelved?  Maybe one day it gets released as an Axl Rose solo album (despite Axl's past objections to releasing CD as a solo act)?  Maybe this is part of why Axl would agree to a reunion tour in the first place?  Maybe he is carving out a deal with the record label to "buy back" the CD II recordings in exchange for a reunion?  I realize this is all speculation, but I personally would much rather have CD II in my hand than have another 2-3 years of "oldies but goodies" played on the road, regardless of the players involved.

I'm sure CD II will get released at some point, but I'm worried a "reunion" would move that release date back at least 5 more years, if not more.  But maybe that's what Axl wants?  Perhaps a reunion takes the heat off of him in terms of releasing new music and exposing himself to more critique, much of which came from folks who weren't going to be pleased with the music unless Slash was involved.  Can't say I blame the guy, CD seemed to suffer from unfair critique based on what it was not (Appetite) and who was not on it (Slash) rather than what it was (mostly good music), which to me seems unfortunate because some good music was there that the public, for the most part, missed out on.

Why go to all that trouble again when you can just go on a reunion tour, bank some tremendous cash, foster good will amongst the public and casual Gn'R fans, and maybe, one day, release CD II on his terms rather than a record label's?                     

* Not Exist Name For New Disc Of GNR

** Reunion Is Whit Classic LineUp AFD -> Axl / Izzy / Slash / Duff / Steven ->  Why ? They NEVER Performed World Tour

Cool

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2015, 03:19:57 PM »

You figure:

WTTJ, Think About You, My Michelle, Rocket Queen, Night Train, Anything Goes, Paradise City and, others were played as early as January '86 but AFD wouldn't come out until July 1987.

Used to Love Her and OIAM were played live as early as January 1988 and Lies didn't come out until Dec 88

RIO was January 1991 - you got 5 new songs played. UYIs didn't come out until Sept '91

You had Attitude and little clips of SIDHY you played live as early as 1992 and TSI didn't come out until Nov 93

Maddy, Chinese D, Rhiad, and the Blues were played from 2001 to 2002 and Better, Catcher etc was played in 06 - 07 despite the album not coming out until Nov 2008

Every iteration of GN'R would play at least one song off the next record. Every version except the 2009-2014 band.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:23:08 PM by CherryGarcia » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »

Yeah, funny how we used to watch and listen to all those songs on Youtube back in 1991....

Different times.

Amazing how an unsigned band who hasn't released an album would play songs that ended up on the next album. Wow!  hihi

Maybe they just didn't feel like playing anything new so there'd be none of that "But I remember that version they played that one time before they recorded the song. I prefer that to the recorded version because there's a note there that's not on the recorded version" stuff? Maybe the whole idea is for us to hear the songs closer to their release instead? Could it be?

It's kinda funny that the need to hear something new is so big that it makes it impossible to understand the other side of the coin.
It's great that you want to hear it, but it'd be kinda nice if something managed to get through and register regarding why they didn't play anything new.... Until then, more of the same.

Edited to add: So if they released one of the covers all this would become moot?
The Seeker was released on the live DVD/album. Yay!

And they did use The General as an intro for quite some time.... Still in 2010 even. Smiley

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:50:33 PM by jarmo » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: