Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Best Marshall Amp for Bedroom/Small gigs??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Marshall Amp for Bedroom/Small gigs??  (Read 7139 times)
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« on: March 18, 2007, 10:31:29 AM »

I just wanted to find out your opinions on the best amp for bedroom/small gigs? I dont want anything that would be too loud to play at home and will restrict me from hiring up over 2!!

I have a preference for marshalls (but any other suggestions are also welcome).

My budget is around 2000 Euro

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 11:48:02 AM by Irish rose » Logged

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »

The Marshall DSL201 (20W) is the lowest decent tube amp from Marshall that I can think of. Although a 20W tube isn't a "Bedroom amp", it has a master volume knob, so you could use that. There's also a DSL401 (40W) with similar features.

Fuck 'Em All.
big_machine
Rocker

DON`T SAY BAD WORDS

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 12:32:03 PM »

well dude .....your budget is quite GOOD !!!!

WITH 2,000 EUROS...you could get a good piece of equipment !!!

you could get a profesional but loudy amp (tubes)
i have a jcm slash (jubilee,800) and it`s louder than hell !!!!!

if you want a practice amp with your band  here are some option:

1- if you like marshall, any tube amp, will be too loud.....so i recomend to you
MARSHALL MG 100 (solid state), it has a killer tone and distortion.......never buy a "valvestate"....those amp sound like crap (well that`s my opinion)

2-you could get a randall head !!!
Randall RG-100 ....it has great rock and roll tone....and heavy distortion.
and it doesn`t have valves...so you can have a better control of your volume.

3- you could get a ROLAND JAZZ CHORUS.....it is a completly profesional amp.
it doesn`t have tubes.....so your voulume it`s up to you....
by the way this is a legend. it cost about 400 - 500 u.s $ (i think this is your best option)

4- or you can buy a line 6 head or amp.....those are digital amps.....and you can modeling the sound of it...like you were using a marshall, mesa boggie or fender...and many more.

I HOPE IT HELPS....... rock on !!!!!   ok

AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 12:56:48 PM »

with that money. buy any marshall tube combo or stack you want and buy a power attentuator like a THD Hot Plate
Solid State amps are crap.

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 01:02:55 PM »

I just wanted to find out your opinions on the best amp for bedroom/small gigs? I dont want anything that would be too loud to play at home and will restrict me from hiring up over 2!!

I have a preference for marshalls (but any other suggestions are also welcome).

My budget is around 2000 Euro

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You can get some kickass gear with 2000 euro. I belive if you say "bedroom amp" it's because you're lack of space... right ?

I'd pick LINE 6 Vetta II (http://line6.com/vetta_ii/) head.

You don't need a big cabinet to play home... you can plug it into headphones, usb for recording pruposes, etc etc etc.

This amp head is a digital one, it has LOTS of effects stomp pedals wahwahs etc etc etc.

People involved into gnr such as Bumblefoot, Tracii Guns, even Slash used one for recording some contraband tracks.

When you play live, you can plug it into a big cabinet, or directly to the stadium console without any mic or extra cables issues.

peace

Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 01:11:14 PM »

thanks for all the suggestions. i defeinitely dont want a marshall mg as i already have a marshall mg30 and im not really blown away by it!

I already have a podxt live so i know what to expect from line 6 gear.

And when i say bedroom amp its not that i couldnt fit a half stack into my room..i just wanted to let you all know where its going to be used mostly

Aero how good is the vetta 2 head in comparison to the sound achieved through the podxtlive?

The bottom line si i want the best amp possible for the money!

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 01:14:17 PM »

with that money. buy any marshall tube combo or stack you want and buy a power attentuator like a THD Hot Plate

That's a good idea too. In case you need the extra juice later on.

Fuck 'Em All.
TheMole
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »

I already have a podxt live so i know what to expect from line 6 gea
Aero how good is the vetta 2 head in comparison to the sound achieved through the podxtlive?

Buy the vetta! It's miles and miles ahead of the pod's (which are based on spider technology). It's a kick-ass amp and the first non-tubes one that tops my wish-list in a veeeery long time. With a faithfull sound reproduction like that, you don't need tubes.

disclaimer: I do not work, or am in any way affiliated with line 6 Wink
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 02:31:59 PM »

I already have a podxt live so i know what to expect from line 6 gea

Buy the vetta! It's miles and miles ahead of the pod's (which are based on spider technology). It's a kick-ass amp and the first non-tubes one that tops my wish-list in a veeeery long time. With a faithfull sound reproduction like that, you don't need tubes.

disclaimer: I do not work, or am in any way affiliated with line 6 Wink

ha ha! yeah i looked them up there...at this moment i have 2 main contenders

Marshall JCM2000 Dual Super Lead 100 and 1960A Package
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-JCM2000-Dual-Super-Lead-100-and-1960A-Package?sku=482801

And the vetta.

any more advice and opinions is greatly appreciated. Jeez i hate searching for guitar gear! I had the same issue last year when buying a new guitar. Searched for ages and kept coming back to a Gibson LP standard,so i got it in the end!

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 03:51:30 PM »

Basically, consider that the podxtlive (i have one too) can be plugged into a preamp, mixer, amplifier head, amplifier combo... despites the "output mode system" the sound might change or sound different depending your output settings and depending on what are you using as output.

But the vetta 2... all in one, all the effects and all the hardware parts are integrated to work with the line6 amplification, allows you to get a very decent sound, all in a box, and it will sound the same in any place because the head amplifies the signal...

I don't know if my english is good enought to explain what I'm trying to say...

Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 03:57:48 PM »

Basically, consider that the podxtlive (i have one too) can be plugged into a preamp, mixer, amplifier head, amplifier combo... despites the "output mode system" the sound might change or sound different depending your output settings and depending on what are you using as output.

But the vetta 2... all in one, all the effects and all the hardware parts are integrated to work with the line6 amplification, allows you to get a very decent sound, all in a box, and it will sound the same in any place because the head amplifies the signal...

I don't know if my english is good enought to explain what I'm trying to say...

yeah ur english is fine! i understand.

do you have a vetta urself?

And what would i run it into? would i have to buy a separate cabinet?

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 06:00:15 PM »

I don't own one, but I've used them.

There's "head" version (who needs a separate cabinet) or combo versions...

HEAD http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Line_6_Line6_Vetta_II_Guitar_Amplifier_Head_300_Watts (1400)
CABINET http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Line_6_Line6_Flextone_Vetta_Guitar_Cabinet_300_Watts_4x12_In (600)

COMBO http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Line_6_Line6_Vetta_II_212_Guitar_Combo_Amplifier_150_Watts_2x12_In (1700)

SHORTBOARD http://www.americanmusical.com/item.aspx?i=LIN%20FBVS&src=D0301DT0HAMS0000&cm_mmc=Shopping-_-SearchEngine-_-Feed-_-LIN%20FBVS

DELUXEBOARD
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Line_6_Line_6_Fbv_Deluxe_Pedalboard

Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 10:32:52 AM »

If size is an issue, I have a JCM 900 and a Marshall 1936 2X12 cabinet and it gets plenty loud wihtout
taking up a lot of room.  I gig with it also plus it's not as heavy as a 4X12. 

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »

Here in argentina, the "under-rock" places to play has some equipment such as a drumkit, bass and guitar amps... when I play live I use my amp head with some 4x12 cabinet from the bar we're playing in. That's why I belive that a kickass compact head with everything on it (line 6 example) is the best compact option.

Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 12:22:44 PM »

I guess the only arguement is, is a sealed back cabinet or open back.

Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 01:37:28 PM »

really appreciate all the advice guys. Im definitely gonna go for a seperate head and cabinet based on what ive heard so far.

One question Aero. You know i have the podxt live. Well how useful is that gonna be if i purchase the vetta?

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »

really appreciate all the advice guys. Im definitely gonna go for a seperate head and cabinet based on what ive heard so far.

One question Aero. You know i have the podxt live. Well how useful is that gonna be if i purchase the vetta?

useless... you should sell the xt live and buy the vetta + pedalboard

you should ask at line6.com forums but I belive that you cannot use the xtlive as a pedalboard for the vetta.

Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 07:57:12 AM »

well thanks for all the info everyone..I'm gonna go to the guitar shop and play some of the amps mentioned..Thats the best way of knowing whats the best one to pick i suppose!

Cheers!

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »

I have the PodXT Live. It's cool for recording demos and practicing with headphones, but it doesn't have the depth of sound and more importantly the feel of a real tube amp. Most modern tube amps have a decent master volume control. My 100w Splawn Quickrod sounds good even at modest volumes. Sure it sounds better once you turn it up, but it certainly doesn't suck at moderate volumes. Any decent tube amp around 30 watts will be loud enough to be heard over a drummer. Anything less than that may get drowned out by the rest of the band. With solid state amps you're going to need something more like 100w. Nothing sounds as hideous as a cranked digital or solid state amp!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: