Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  2 hours ago : Ratzinger new Pope, conclave chose
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 hours ago : Ratzinger new Pope, conclave chose  (Read 18919 times)
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2005, 11:59:26 PM »

Whilst I vehemently oppose a lot of the Organised Christian religions standards.....A religion really isnt meant to be democratic, IF they believe in God and are doing this Gods will...then they are simply enforcing the ultimate dictatorship.

In theory a divine dictatorship by an all knowing, all wise, all loving being would be perfection....Though thats a very big If.

If a religion changes doctrine according to popular thinking, then the religion is wrong. Let it stand or fall on it's own merits. It's teachings should stand or fall on merit, and it's moral code.

Im of the thinking that most people are sheep, and not overly capable of clear, lucid, independant thought. People NEED someone or something to follow, to lead them by example....thats can take the form of religion, peers, Axl or whatever.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
SLCPUNK
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2005, 12:29:38 AM »

Ironic that a non-Catholic like myself should have to defend the church.

All you "progressive-secularists" make me laugh.? What?? You think that just because the world's mainstream is going a certain way that a church's doctrine should follow?

Sorry, doesn't work like that.

"The church that changes with the times will be a widow in each succeeding age." - Samual Callan

Yea...best to keep it in the dark ages....

Like I said "business as usual".

You Doppelganger, and many others on this board, are so disenchanted with religion in general that you overlook the most basic element of it - absolute truth. ?(I realize that for all the subjective, moral-relativists here, that concept is an enigma.)

However the fact remains that if a religion simply bases it's tenents and doctrine on current public opinion, instead of what it believes and claims GOD's will is, it all but ceases to be a religion; and therefore remains nothing but a social organization.

Oh I am? disenchanted with religion am I?

Thanks for coming along and letting me know. Roll Eyes

It is a social organization already anyway, like it or not. What do you think a gathering of people is?
jgfnsr
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2005, 03:31:07 AM »

Oh I am? disenchanted with religion am I?

Thanks for coming along and letting me know. Roll Eyes

It is a social organization already anyway, like it or not. What do you think a gathering of people is?

Good to see you back to your old self SLCPUNK.? "Doppelganger" never quite suited you...

What I'm saying is, a religion is worth absolutely nothing if it doesn't at least believe and claim it knows the will of God and is following it.? People seem to forget that a religion is supposed to be God-directed, not man-directed.

"They draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.? They teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof."

« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 03:48:52 AM by AXL'SRANT » Logged
Friedemann
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2005, 04:19:19 AM »

In 1986, he denounced rock music as the ?vehicle of anti-religion.?

so what? In 1986 rock music pretty much sucked

he probably didn't get a copy of Live?! *@ Like A Suicide
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2005, 05:25:41 AM »

In 1986, he denounced rock music as the ?vehicle of anti-religion.?

so what? In 1986 rock music pretty much sucked

he probably didn't get a copy of Live?! *@ Like A Suicide
And '87 rocked his boat big time

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2005, 09:12:53 AM »

Good to see you back to your old self SLCPUNK.? "Doppelganger" never quite suited you...

You might also try sticking to just one username yourself. Luckily your posts can be easily identified, what with all the preaching and such.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2005, 12:45:27 PM »

What I'm saying is, a religion is worth absolutely nothing if it doesn't at least believe and claim it knows the will of God and is following it.  People seem to forget that a religion is supposed to be God-directed, not man-directed.

So atheism, Buddhism, and Unitarian Universalism are all worthless because they don't dictate that a god is controlling all you do?

Thanks for alerting me as to the worthlessness of my beliefs.  I guess the whole "free will" thing is just a myth and that I really don't have any worthwhile spirituality in my life.  Thank you for showing me the light, AXL'SRANT.  Roll Eyes

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Friedemann
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2005, 12:58:20 PM »

What I'm saying is, a religion is worth absolutely nothing if it doesn't at least believe and claim it knows the will of God and is following it.? People seem to forget that a religion is supposed to be God-directed, not man-directed.

So atheism, Buddhism, and Unitarian Universalism are all worthless?

Thanks for alerting me as to the worthlessness of my beliefs.

How come? Are you an atheist Buddhist Unitarian Universalist?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 01:00:52 PM by eMe » Logged
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2005, 01:01:01 PM »

To answer your question, I'm an atheist Buddhist and attend a Unitarian Universalist church when I'm home.  And I do like it, I just don't appreciate people telling me my church and beliefs are "worth absolutely nothing" since we don't require the belief in a god.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Friedemann
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2005, 01:11:49 PM »

is that you on this picture of yours?

just checking your website to see if it will provide me with more enlightening info on the doctrines of atheist Buddhist Unitarian Universalism ---

--- well good job
Gunnerguy
Opening Act

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2005, 01:19:03 PM »

Worse than usual, because they have elected a guy who happened to be in the " hitlerian youths", who is also an extremist, who is probably a faschist and who is known as " the great inquisitor".

The protestants, so i read this morning, are really not happy with him as pope, and the jews are extremely cautious because of his " hitlerian " past.

nervous

well in fairness virtually every man in Germany of his age were members of the hitler youth so unless as a kid of like 10 or watever u expect him to make a stand against the all powerful nazi party and have his whole family sent off to the nearest concentration camp u can hardly hold it against him
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 01:20:35 PM by Caesar » Logged

Sincerity is everything. If you can fake that, you?ve got it made.
jgfnsr
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2005, 09:53:24 PM »

So atheism, Buddhism, and Unitarian Universalism are all worthless because they don't dictate that a god is controlling all you do?

They are worthless in the sense that they offer little if anything that extends beyond this life.? Why anyone would embrace something that amounts to nothing more than a "spiritual" version of their local community center or YMCA is beyond me.?

Thanks for alerting me as to the worthlessness of my beliefs.? I guess the whole "free will" thing is just a myth and that I really don't have any worthwhile spirituality in my life.? Thank you for showing me the light, AXL'SRANT.? Roll Eyes

You will always have your free will.? However you are not free to choose the consequences of it.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2005, 11:05:34 PM »

They are worthless in the sense that they offer little if anything that extends beyond this life.? Why anyone would embrace something that amounts to nothing more than a "spiritual" version of their local community center or YMCA is beyond me.?

1. This is why I do not like organized religion, you seem to think it's ok to make judgement calls on other religions you do not understand or care to understand. "We are right, you are wrong" is a dangerous way to think and has proven to fail throughout history.

2. Buddhisms primary focus is RIGHT NOW (awareness), and since they believe in reincarnation (like the Christians USED TO) it certainly 'extends beyond this life', right into the next one. Your point is not valid.

3. You YMCA comment was condescending and rude towards others with different beliefs and you should apologize.

Edit: (After thinking, I have read this "YMCA" comment before in an article. I bet I could find it if I searched.......)

Not to mention YMCA is a Christian founded and run organization.... hihi So maybe you should use a different analogy? when you make a down the nose slight on something so "worthless".
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 11:12:20 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2005, 11:20:16 PM »

well put SLC...... got to him b4 me with that rebuttle......who is the preacher that i see here... is it one that preached b4 my leave?.... if not should i start dredgeing up all teh old relgion threads that litter this board?... or atleast most of teh arguements therin?

personally i was born RC... im not practcing by no means, i think that relgion the RC church does change over time... it has too if not it will find its self so antiquated that all but the most fanitical will find it overbearing and useless. intime it will relax its stance on contrecption as it is far better to limit the number of abortions then to turn a blind eye to the fact that tonnes of kids have unsafe sex b4 marriage. I would think that the church would be a strong advocate of contrecption to aid in the stop of the spread of aids and such..... because well it is a sin so i guess it is god punishing them. but is it more hypritical not to assist and condem these people, when the christien god is suppoed to be merciful!?

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2005, 04:38:00 AM »

Worse than usual, because they have elected a guy who happened to be in the " hitlerian youths", who is also an extremist, who is probably a faschist and who is known as " the great inquisitor".

The protestants, so i read this morning, are really not happy with him as pope, and the jews are extremely cautious because of his " hitlerian " past.

nervous

well in fairness virtually every man in Germany of his age were members of the hitler youth so unless as a kid of like 10 or watever u expect him to make a stand against the all powerful nazi party and have his whole family sent off to the nearest concentration camp u can hardly hold it against him

Why did other families fly out of their countries to GB, the US, holland, etc etc

Do you really think i will buy this excuse ?

Nothing to say
jgfnsr
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2005, 05:13:53 AM »

1. This is why I do not like organized religion, you seem to think it's ok to make judgement calls on other religions you do not understand or care to understand. "We are right, you are wrong" is a dangerous way to think and has proven to fail throughout history.

Let's be realistic here, SLCPUNK, everyone makes "judgement calls."  And believe it or not, I understand most religions more than you might think.  It's not so much about whether "we are right, you are wrong" as is what is truth and how much of it a religion can offer.  I tend to think there is a certain amount of good in all, along with some truth.  But some have more than others, and one above all. 

But that's where I know I'll lose most of you anti-organized religion types.  The misuse of fundamentalism by some has forever blinded you to the fact that absolute truth can and does exist.

2. Buddhisms primary focus is RIGHT NOW (awareness), and since they believe in reincarnation (like the Christians USED TO) it certainly 'extends beyond this life', right into the next one. Your point is not valid.

Aaaahh...that's just it.  Their "awareness" for right now might be all well and good, but without divine revelation it can't extend beyond mortal knowledge.  And for the record, Christians never believed in reincarnation.  Not before the early Church fell into apostasy anyway.   

3. You YMCA comment was condescending and rude towards others with different beliefs and you should apologize.

Edit: (After thinking, I have read this "YMCA" comment before in an article. I bet I could find it if I searched.......)

Not to mention YMCA is a Christian founded and run organization.... hihi So maybe you should use a different analogy? when you make a down the nose slight on something so "worthless".

That YMCA comment very well might have been printed in some article, but I haven't seen it.  Feel free to post it if you find it though.  And for the record, if I have a "down the nose" attitude of anything, it's simply for the wide-held belief today that there is no absolute, eternal truths.  That everything is simply relative in all things.
jgfnsr
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2005, 05:17:11 AM »

Luckily your posts can be easily identified, what with all the preaching and such.

And you might take notes my atheist friend....
Friedemann
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2005, 11:16:37 AM »

Do you really think i will buy this excuse ?

oh come on ---

your previous posts make it clear that you (as far as European history is concerned) can't tell shit from shoe polish so it might be a wise choice on your side to not get yourself entangled further into these difficult problems

just a humble suggestion
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2005, 11:37:11 AM »

Actually Buddhism does not believe in reincarnation (Hinduism, which was a precursor to Buddhism, does).  There is no true self, or soul, to be reincarnated.  The purpose in life via the Buddha's influence is to eliminate pain and suffering, to reach the state of nirvana-- "mind like fire unbound."  If you do not reach this state before death, tough shit.

"You will always have your free will.  However you are not free to choose the consequences of it."

And who is anyone to tell me of the "consequences," if we don't know what the consequences are, or if there will be any?

"They are worthless in the sense that they offer little if anything that extends beyond this life."

According to the Gautama Buddha, this life is all that matters.  If you need to think there's something better waiting for you after this life, fine.  Just don't go calling my beliefs worthless since I refuse to subscribe to what you think is right.

Getting back to the topic of the thread, the new Pope was not just a Hitler Youth member, but was an active fighter in the military in an anti-aircraft and anti-tank divisions.  If former Nazi Party members aren't even permitted to legally enter the United States, I don't understand how or why one would be permitted to be the head of one of the most powerful organizations in the world.

*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2005, 11:42:18 AM »

Are you Theravada or Mahayana? Huh
Mahayana I pressume

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: