Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:12:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  17 years ago today...
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 17 years ago today...  (Read 6025 times)
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« on: December 22, 2006, 12:41:48 PM »

...on the 22nd of December 1989 a revolution took place in Romania, comunism was gone and I became, at the age of 5, a free man.

I still remember that night, I was at home with my mother, eating dinner on the floor with the lights off, fearing the bullets that were flying near my window...

Most of you on this board were born in freedom, but never take it for granted.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 12:45:27 PM »

Outstanding.  Best of luck and congrats on 17 years of freedom.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 12:51:16 PM »

Happy Anniversary, Madman.  What were the worst things about communism that your older relatives experienced?  Anything they miss?

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 12:53:24 PM »

...on the 22nd of December 1989 a revolution took place in Romania, comunism was gone and I became, at the age of 5, a free man.

I still remember that night, I was at home with my mother, eating dinner on the floor with the lights off, fearing the bullets that were flying near my window...

I guess your country had a choice to make "live free, or die hard"

sorry it had to be done.

On a serious note, glad your became free and wernt killed or anything like many were by the crazy ass communists

html sucks
MadmanDan
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:29:47 PM »

What were the worst things about communism that your older relatives experienced?? Anything they miss?

There were a million bad things and absolutely nohing they miss.

It's very hard for me to describe just how awful it was, but this being a GNR board, let me just say that if you were seen on the street with long hair, you were immediately arrested and your hair would be cut  Grin

My parents often tell me stories of how they listened to music when they were young from West european radio stations, because most western music was banned. And up until the early 90's, they had never seen the faces of their favourite artists, like Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc

Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 02:03:21 PM »

I was three when the soviet union collapsed so I wasn't born in freedom. Still glad that I wasn't born earlier though  yes

This   is   Democracy!!!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 03:41:20 PM »

What were the worst things about communism that your older relatives experienced?? Anything they miss?

There were a million bad things and absolutely nohing they miss.

? It's very hard for me to describe just how awful it was, but this being a GNR board, let me just say that if you were seen on the street with long hair, you were immediately arrested and your hair would be cut? Grin

? My parents often tell me stories of how they listened to music when they were young from West european radio stations, because most western music was banned. And up until the early 90's, they had never seen the faces of their favourite artists, like Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc

that is remarkable.  really puts things in perspective and is a good reminder of why we shouldn't take our freedoms for granted. I'm 1/4 Romanian myself, but don't know much bout the country or the history.  This is cool, something to read up on about.  thanks for posting.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »

I became, at the age of 5, a free man.

maybe boy more then a man but whatever hihi, since i live in sweden i always take my freedom for granted i know it's prolly stupid but i don't think that stuff like that can happen again at least not in this country anyway
Mauve_All
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 03:57:23 PM »

I was 13 to 14 when this news broke. Everybody was so surprised here in Greece with what was happening in your country, I remember people talking about it, mostly because communism had been strong for so many years in Romania, and other countries like East Germany etc, that it was a miracle Ceauşescu was gone.

Wish you all the best in your free country !

I'm a drinker with writing problems
http://www.myspace.com/mauve_all
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »

? I still remember that night, I was at home with my mother, eating dinner on the floor with the lights off, fearing the bullets that were flying near my window...

? Most of you on this board were born in freedom, but never take it for granted.

"Walther PPK. 7.65 mm. Only three men i know use such a gun...i belive i've killed two of them."

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 03:07:42 AM »

? I still remember that night, I was at home with my mother, eating dinner on the floor with the lights off, fearing the bullets that were flying near my window...

? Most of you on this board were born in freedom, but never take it for granted.

"Walther PPK. 7.65 mm. Only three men i know use such a gun...i belive i've killed two of them."

Do you know the size of a 7.65mm bullet? A PPK shoots a .380 or 9x18(might be 9x17) in european terms.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 06:45:41 AM »

hey madmandan
didn't expect to see a thread like this on htgth.

i remember that night but not much as i was 6 years old. the thing i will never forget is hearing the tanks passing through the street, the sound of bullets through the air and the noise my windows were making when i was in bed trying to go to sleep.

it's been a long time but we should be grateful that it passed. my relatives told me how they brought vinyls illegally from other countries because western music was banned, how police would run after the guys with long hair.

too bad innocent people had to die for our freedom.

never forgive! never forget!

Alina
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 09:31:12 AM »

I was born also in soviet union , I was one year born when it collapsed so I'm not realy remember  Tongue

from what  my mum had told me: thanx god we didnt have any bullets and tanks on the streets,  everybody lived like usual . she also told me how it was hard to listen to bands like Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, she told me that somehow someone could to record this records on  x-ray  Shocked Shocked  couse they lived too far to catch western radio stations.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 09:43:19 AM »

Congrats MadmanDan!

All political systems have their positives and negatives...it's just that with communism, there were alot more negatives than positives!  hihi

More power to you.   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »

Great post MadmanDan!  That was actually pretty inspirational, all things considered.

I remember hearing about that in school.  My teacher sat us down and told us an amazing thing had happened.  I didn't grasp the full implications at the time, but I do now.   ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 10:36:49 AM »

Thank you for the reminder.  Too often, we take for granted what we were born with.  Congratulations to you, and thanks again!     beer
MadmanDan
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 11:42:24 AM »

I was born also in soviet union

Romania was never part of the Soviet Union. Many people asociate my country with Russia, but Romania has latin origins, pretty much like Spain, Italy, France, Portugal....

Alina
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 12:20:13 PM »

Yeah I know and your language have something in common with Italian language.
 I meaned to other people who where born in Soviet Union and had a riots in theirs countries when Soviet  Union collapsed .

I have read about your country and the revolution and when Ceausescu ascaped with his wife ....

aimz
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 07:53:15 AM »

myself being born into a free, rich safe(ish) country....it kind of doesnt pass my mind everyday that some people arnt as well off..........but i have to say that it is pretty important and affects everyone.....congrats madmandan! ok
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 07:59:03 AM »

And with all the freedom you decided to become a ManU fan?

Serieously speaking... Freedom is a great thing. Sometimes it makes me sad how people utilize theirs. But then again I might be just as bad on occasions. So who am I to say anything...?

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
aimz
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 08:01:45 AM »

And with all the freedom you decided to become a ManU fan?
too true skeba...too true... hihi
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 08:23:26 PM »

Unfortunately, many in the USA take their freedom for granted.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: