Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:48:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?  (Read 60544 times)
Koskenkorvasieni
Rocker

Guns N' Finland

« on: March 18, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »

After posting a couple of times in the GNR section on the Robin leaving or just touring topic and maybe choosing my words a bit wrongly at times, I decided to start a mature and objective discussion about whether Robin Finck or Slash is the better guitarist, specifically which players version of November Rain you find more preferable. Personally I always thought that Robin brutally butchered the Nov.Rain solos, especially in the RIR3 version, not that the 2006 version sounds much better either, although in 2006 at least Robins rhythm/harmony playing sounds very beautiful with the slight distortion effect. It's just that the solo played by Robin always sounds to me like a cat being raped to death. Just compare the above versions to Slash's version and you'll see what I mean, especially the 1992 VMA's, although maybe Slash has a bit too much distortion here, he plays the solos spot on and it sounds beautiful and amazing to me. The harmony/rhythm parts are barely audible though, practically in every UYI tour version. Of course I must admit that Slash has also improvised sometimes on November Rain and not always succesfully, as can be heard in this version from Noblesville Indiana in 1991, which is his first and probably worst time playing the song live.

November Rain is just one example and I must point out that this is just my personal opinion and not something I'm trying to pass out as fact. I would like to hear your opinions, which guitarist's version do you prefer and which one do you personally think is better. Overall, I like Slash better.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:15:23 PM by Koskenkorvasieni » Logged

So Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always thriumph, because good is dumb.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »

Are you sure you really want to start this fire?  Huh

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
+Rocker+
I want to hea... have Slash's baby
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:30:04 PM »

I prefer Slash, Why?:

1- I am a GNR fans since almost 20 years ago, and Slash allways has been my favorite member, he has a superlative stage presence and cool style.

2- Slash co-wrote some of the best GNR songs ever, WTTJ, Coma, Scom, Locomotive, Civil War, Nightrain, etc...

3- Slash wrote amazing guitar solos and Riff. WTTJ, Scom, November Rain, Estranged, Nightrain, Rocket Queen, etc...

4- Slash's guitar it was Guns n' Roses sound.

5- He is a legend of Rock and Roll and an icon of Guns n' Roses, even now.

6- Slash had too protagonism in one of the best album aver, Appetite for Destruction.

Robin has made interesting things, but nothing brillant. I like Robin anyway.  ok

I love you Axl, but I'm also one of "those" Slash supporters haha...
www.rockinslashforum.com
Soon: www.rockin-slash.com
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »

As long as we talk performing pre-cd material, this topic is dangerously close to
"Who is better Sylverster Stallone,  Vin Diesel or Sylvester Stallone?"

I really do like Finck and his playing.
He looks and feels more at home in Nin really.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:07:32 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »

I prefer to watch Robin. He is way more entertaining then Slash on stage. Slash pretty much stands in one spot the entire time. Where as Robin is moving around doing things only Robin would do. I do like Robins playing style, to me it seems more emotional. However Slash was there when the band started, and had a big influence on the songs we all love. But if I had to take one for the band, it would be Robin.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:02:02 PM »

I prefer Robin by a good bit
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 04:48:46 AM »

Slash, much much MUCH better IMO

Though i don't mind Robin as much now, thanks to his solo on TIL, which is awesome!

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »

I prefer to watch Robin. He is way more entertaining then Slash on stage. Slash pretty much stands in one spot the entire time. Where as Robin is moving around doing things only Robin would do. I do like Robins playing style, to me it seems more emotional. However Slash was there when the band started, and had a big influence on the songs we all love. But if I had to take one for the band, it would be Robin.

are you fucking high, slash runs all over the place during concerts having seen him 7 times with VR
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »

I like Robin, he seems real cool, I love his guitar playing style and stage presence.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 03:36:50 AM »

Robin is an artist and an amazing live performer.   He is currently touring the world and is a huge part of why the current NIN tour is THE show to see right now.    He has a unique style and tone that is instantly recognizable and its his own.   

$lash is a media whore and he's more like a reality tv star and a brand than anything.    While he played some memorable stuff in GnR, these days he's a mere shadow of his former self who whores himself out to everyone from bill gates to fergie to ellen degeneres.   Whats to like about that?   His current music is certainly nothing to get excited about.

$lash fans typically come from a poorly educated redneck demographic and I really don't think they "get" Robin.  Its a little bit above them I guess.  peace
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 10:35:17 AM »

Gee, thanks for that unbiased opinion Jim Bob... Roll Eyes

I like Robin's playing, but saying that some Slash fans don't "get" his style is just ignorant.

I guess some people prefer Slash's smoother blues-based hard rock style as opposed to Robin's choppy-industrial style.
But both guitarists have their merit.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 11:24:19 AM »

I like Robin's playing, but saying that some Slash fans don't "get" his style is just ignorant.

not all, but some
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 12:35:41 PM »

$lash fans typically come from a poorly educated redneck demographic and I really don't think they "get" Robin.

And some Slash fans like Robin also. Shocked

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 12:39:01 PM »

So let me get this straight. All Slash fans are now rednecks. It just keeps getting better.  Roll Eyes

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »

So let me get this straight. All Slash fans are now rednecks. It just keeps getting better.  Roll Eyes

not all, but some
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »

Slash hands down. To me Slash isnt the greatest technical player, not the most original or the most diverse. But what he does do is encompass everything I love about rock and roll guitar in one. He has the best mix of playing, feel, taste, composing, live performance and image.

Wether you think he is a media whore or not "smart" enough of a player for the over-arty fuckers those things can never be taken away from what he has done musically. And it wasnt just some good music with GN'R it was all great or we wouldnt of been here all these years arguing about it beer
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 09:13:22 PM »

$lash fans typically come from a poorly educated redneck demographic and I really don't think they "get" Robin.  Its a little bit above them I guess.  peace

One of the dummbest comments I've ever read on here.
It's pretty hard not to find a Slash fan (literally), so there'd be a whole heap of poorly educated rednecks all over the world.

Anyway, I prefer $la$h. He worte some of the greatest rock music ever (alot more so than Robin), he is recognised all over the world as a music icon (unlike Robin), he seems to care about his fans (unlike Robin- thanks for letting us know you were leaving GnR...again), he has influnenced countless musicians (including, I'm sure, Robin) and he's just fucking Slash (not Robin).
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »

who'll be the first to name DJ  Wink
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »

Robin is an artist and an amazing live performer.   He is currently touring the world and is a huge part of why the current NIN tour is THE show to see right now.    He has a unique style and tone that is instantly recognizable and its his own.   

$lash is a media whore and he's more like a reality tv star and a brand than anything.    While he played some memorable stuff in GnR, these days he's a mere shadow of his former self who whores himself out to everyone from bill gates to fergie to ellen degeneres.   Whats to like about that?   His current music is certainly nothing to get excited about.

Post Of The Year !!!

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 11:29:57 PM »

Let's see how quickly Jim Bob turns into a Robin basher now that he has been replaced... hihi

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: