Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:23:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?  (Read 60753 times)
maynard
« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2009, 02:10:38 AM »

I must say I lost 90% of my interest on GNR since Robin left. He replaced the lead guitar spot very very well. He's the man to keep your eyes on the live show. His image, style and, of course, guitar playing are interesting and innovative.

NIN is my favorite band, and I'm glad he's back. DJ Ashba looks and sounds promising, if they tour some day, I hope he kicks ass.

As for Robin, now that NIN is going on hiatus and I think Axl wouldn't accept him back I hope he releases something by himself, maybe some contributions with old band mates? Buckethead, Danny Lohner, Jerome Dillon, all talented musicians and friends of the Finckster.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2009, 07:31:09 AM »

I think Axl would accept Robin back with open arms.  He doesn't seem to hold any ill will towards him.  Though his spot has been filled so I don't know what role he'd play.  But heck, they already have 2 drummers, what's another guitarist? Maybe he's waiting for Buckethead and Paul Tobias' schedules to clear.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2009, 09:41:51 AM »

Another one who prove my point making fun of people who has different taste. What else could you expect from this guy, tho?

So,

Most important thing is "to be remembered".

And your personal opinion is a fact.

Got it. It doesn't matter if you happen to support a guy who has done almost nothing worthy in 15 years.

Face it man, Robin is a cool player.  He was my favourite of the new band.  But, Slash is a certified guitar hero.
If you think that Robin is better, then thats cool, it is YOUR opinion.
Slash is working on his 5th album since he left GNR.  Not to mention many other collaborations!
A lot of Snakepit and VR tracks really rock.  "nothing worthy" is again, YOUR opinion.
He has done a LOT more than some others since leaving GNR.
Lets remember, Contraband went to number 1 in its first week.  that was obviously quite worthy!

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »

Another one who prove my point making fun of people who has different taste. What else could you expect from this guy, tho?

So,

Most important thing is "to be remembered".

And your personal opinion is a fact.

Got it. It doesn't matter if you happen to support a guy who has done almost nothing worthy in 15 years.

Face it man, Robin is a cool player.  He was my favourite of the new band.  But, Slash is a certified guitar hero.
Slash is working on his 5th album since he left GNR.  Not to mention many other collaborations!
A lot of Snakepit and VR tracks really rock.  "nothing worthy" is again, YOUR opinion.
Lets remember, Contraband went to number 1 in its first week.  that was obviously quite worthy!

$lash is a corporate whore and a cariculture of his glory days in guns.   Nothing cool about that at all.   

As for Robin, now that NIN is going on hiatus and I think Axl wouldn't accept him back I hope he releases something by himself, maybe some contributions with old band mates? Buckethead, Danny Lohner, Jerome Dillon, all talented musicians and friends of the Finckster.

that would be AWESOME beer
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2009, 04:06:41 PM »

Just to throw a quick point out there about Slash's solos only being good when Axl is around. If you read Slash's book you will see that Axl wasnt therre when he recorded them (which is very normal for the studio), so that is a completely moot point. And as +rocker+ has made a list of incredible guitar work its a dead subject.

nothing in that fucking guy's book is credible.  and no one who puts "slash is god" as their sig is credible.   

so now your an expert on someone's life, that you hate more than your life itself
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »

go back to watching the ritz show old timer
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »

So what matters is not personal taste, but his fame?

Of course its MY opinion. Thats was me being ironic about your previous post stating opinions as fact.

Which, BTW, you just proved again.

So did Britney Spears several times. So, she must be better than Slash!

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2009, 12:20:27 PM »

But scenically, Slash is a monster and Buckethead is a zero.

what? Huh
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2009, 12:47:09 PM »

But scenically, Slash is a monster and Buckethead is a zero.

what? Huh

I'm basically translating a spanish expression to english in my mind. Sorry if that has no sense in english  peace

what I wanted to say is that Slash is an incredible performer, his onstage attitude is amazing, he's incredibly magnetic at the point you cant stop looking at him in the shows. He moves around, runs, jumps, he has a lot of ''strenght'' live, and Buckethead is a quiet guy, you cant see his face so you cannot know if he's enjoying the show, if he is feeling ''anything'' at all, and his look doesnt exactly match the overall historic GNR image. Slash live is pure adrenaline, and Buckethead is something like a block of ice. This is just my opinion. Needless to say that I still prefer Buckethead in GNR rather than Slash.

I hope you can understand my point now.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2009, 01:05:26 PM »

what I wanted to say is that Slash is an incredible performer, his onstage attitude is amazing, he's incredibly magnetic at the point you cant stop looking at him in the shows. He moves around, runs, jumps, he has a lot of ''strenght'' live,

maybe you mean he wasTongue
You can say those things about Robin.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »

what I wanted to say is that Slash is an incredible performer, his onstage attitude is amazing, he's incredibly magnetic at the point you cant stop looking at him in the shows. He moves around, runs, jumps, he has a lot of ''strenght'' live,

Slash is still an incredible performer, he still has an impressive stage presence, even though he plays in a massive amount of shit band like VR. I saw VR live, they suck, but Slash keeps being as magnetic as always. He, and the ''Sex Type Thing'' performance are the only reasons to see VR live.

Robin is still awesome also, as he always was. NIN is an incredible band and even though Robin's role at NIN is not as protagonic as in Guns, he's a show in his own.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2009, 01:24:59 PM »

Yeah but has Robin ever gone on stage during a opening bands performance naked fucking a inflatable naked women Slash (100% sure of)and I think Duff (80% sure of) did in one of the Use Your Illusions tour gigs I dont have a date in my memory but I know its in Slash's book.  beer

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2009, 01:43:33 PM »

I'd hate it if robin did that as it's not very much his thing or GNR of today.
Guess slash was great then and robin is great in this century. 
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »

I don't think this scene would make me like a guitar player any more. nervous

Esteban, I get what you're saying, but I don't think Bucket really needs the same type of performance. He has his own style and I actually think it was great back when he was in the band. His playing only is far more interesting than any coolness Slash may have with VR.

Also think ppbebe is right about Robin. He was cool to see on stage, even doing some weird movements.

In fact, as long as I like the sound, I don't really care at stage presence that much.

WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2009, 07:41:25 PM »

Just to throw a quick point out there about Slash's solos only being good when Axl is around. If you read Slash's book you will see that Axl wasnt therre when he recorded them (which is very normal for the studio), so that is a completely moot point. And as +rocker+ has made a list of incredible guitar work its a dead subject.

nothing in that fucking guy's book is credible.  and no one who puts "slash is god" as their sig is credible.   

Oh I forgot you ARE the decider of what is credible and what is not  rofl

This is a forum everyone has opinions and people disagree , to say that some people are more credible on the forum than others is pretty ludicrous , unless you are

A ) In Guns N' Roses / Have been in Guns N' Roses

or

B ) Are close enough to the band to know what is "going on" ( Ex. Jarmo )

than you are in the same boat as everyone else. We are all just fans. 
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2009, 07:55:05 AM »

Still, I agree with Jim Bob. Slash's book is not credible at all. But, there's already a whole thread about this.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2009, 12:02:39 AM »

Still, I agree with Jim Bob. Slash's book is not credible at all. But, there's already a whole thread about this.

yup, an entire thread about its inaccuracies and errors.

on topic, I was watching some 2006 boots earlier, and Robin nails that intro to WTTJ better than ol whats his name ever did. Smiley    I get goose bumps every time.     

and Robin's SCOM solo too.
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2009, 01:37:55 AM »

Get back to me when Robin writes a SCOM type timeless solo. Then we can have this discussion.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2009, 02:45:20 AM »

I think Slash easily out performs Robin on WTTJ and SCOM.   ok

But, lets look at the guitar work on Chinese Democracy compared to say Appetite.  Unfortunately, there is only 1 or 2 good riffs on CD and the guitar work overall aint that good.  Some of the solo's are just tired shredding and don't fit the songs. SCOM solo pisses all over TIL.

Nothing on CD has the swagger of Brownstone, Rocket Queen or is as aggresive as ISE or MM.

The guitar playing on Appetite has influenced a whole generation of  guitarists.   Chinese Democracy flopped quite quickly.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2009, 03:35:05 AM »

Get back to me when Robin writes a SCOM type timeless solo. Then we can have this discussion.

his playing of the solos sounds better to my ears.   is that so hard to understand?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: