Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 12:37:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227928 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1576933 times)
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »

Dude, can you really relate to someone like Buckethead who wears a mask and shows no emotion???

At the end of the day we are talking about music.  I don't really care so much about the look of the artist as much as what they are playing.  I really like what Robin and BH bring to the table, despite their less then stereotypical appearances.  I find DJ's playing style to be more or less typical (i.e. boring).  But that's just me.  When you've listened to as much music as I have you tend to be drawn to things you haven't heard a million times already.

Some people like hearing the same things over and over.  That's how ACDC or the Ramones can have a career.  Neither preference is intrinsically better than the other, but I don't find it necessary to point out these things as somehow set in stone.  That is to say, I don't take it as a fact that the current lineup is somehow better than previous permutations.       

I tend to disagree with you. I think Buckethead and Robin would be better in a different type of rock band. Like a Nine Inch Nails type of band. That would fit their image much better I think. Image is part of the music as well so you can't really say that's it's not. Why do you think we have hot looking women who can't sing but are popular??? Why do we have  a guy like Justin Timberlake or Beiber in today's music??? I'm comfortable in my own masculinity to say that these are good looking guys but they can't sing.

I suppose this really comes down to art vs. product.  Sounds as though you "buy" the current version of GnR more than it's 2001-2006 incarnation.  I'm not so interested in buying an image, but to each their own. 

That said, the chemistry of this current version of the band is undeniable, though, after seeing them live, I found Ashba to be more or less inconsequential at least as it relates to the band as a whole (Fortus and Thal could have easily handled all guitar parts).  He seems to be more there to preen and mug for the crowd before he plays a solo or riff.   

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »

I would like to hear the other songs Fink, Bucket, and Brain came up with-I actually liked Silkworms, Oh My God, and the kind of different direction things were going-I've listened to Sixx A.M.-I'll pass.

libertad
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2012, 01:28:41 AM »

I like Sixx: A.M. and I also liked Beautiful Creatures (DJ's band before Sixx: A.M.). With that said, if there is another album of material with Finck/Bucket/Brain, I'd sure love to hear it.

In the end though, it's Axl's band. Whatever songs he feels most passionate about are the ones he should release, regardless of whether they were co-written by members who have left the band.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »

I suppose this really comes down to art vs. product.  Sounds as though you "buy" the current version of GnR more than it's 2001-2006 incarnation.  I'm not so interested in buying an image, but to each their own. 

That said, the chemistry of this current version of the band is undeniable, though, after seeing them live, I found Ashba to be more or less inconsequential at least as it relates to the band as a whole (Fortus and Thal could have easily handled all guitar parts).  He seems to be more there to preen and mug for the crowd before he plays a solo or riff.   

Fair enough (though I enjoy Dj's playing better than most it seems). That said- I wouldn't understimate that. For one thing- Dj is more-or-less single-handedly responsible for making my fiancee a big GN'R fan again. We saw both shows in Orlando this last year- and in addition to women finding Dj attractive- it seems they really admire the effort he puts into crowd-interaction and doing his part to make sure people have a good time at the show, etc. I might be inclined to be skeptical as well- but the reality is I've seen Dj's live performance pay immediate dividends for the band in the form of a new/re-energized fan in my fiancee- and I'm sure many others out there too. It's certainly an open question what kind of creative/artistic contribution Dj can make in studio- but IMHO he makes a pretty substantial contribution to the overall "band image" live.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:56:18 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »

I would like to see this lineupgo in and record a hard rick album in a month-just dirty rock n roll, not over produced or anything-does not have to be the greatest thing ever, just to tide things over-or even an ep or something

libertad
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »

I would like to see this line-up go in and record a hard rock album in a month-just dirty rock n roll, not over produced or anything-does not have to be the greatest thing ever, just to tide things over-or even an ep or something

Amen!! That would be awesome. A stripped-down/fun GN'R Lies-type EP out of the current line-up would be absolutely magic. If they could knock out in time for Christmas 2012- that would be even better. I think it would be a nice tide-over/appetizer before hopefully unleashing the rest of the Chinese-era tracks (many of which I would bet are UYI/CD-style, epics) some time in 2013 (God willing).

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »

Maybe its because of the way things are going for GN'R right now but, it just feels like there should be a new album released this fall. It just feels like there should be and I will definitely be bummed if there's nothing.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »

Dude, can you really relate to someone like Buckethead who wears a mask and shows no emotion???

At the end of the day we are talking about music.  I don't really care so much about the look of the artist as much as what they are playing.  I really like what Robin and BH bring to the table, despite their less then stereotypical appearances.  I find DJ's playing style to be more or less typical (i.e. boring).  But that's just me.  When you've listened to as much music as I have you tend to be drawn to things you haven't heard a million times already.

Some people like hearing the same things over and over.  That's how ACDC or the Ramones can have a career.  Neither preference is intrinsically better than the other, but I don't find it necessary to point out these things as somehow set in stone.  That is to say, I don't take it as a fact that the current lineup is somehow better than previous permutations.       

I tend to disagree with you. I think Buckethead and Robin would be better in a different type of rock band. Like a Nine Inch Nails type of band. That would fit their image much better I think. Image is part of the music as well so you can't really say that's it's not. Why do you think we have hot looking women who can't sing but are popular??? Why do we have  a guy like Justin Timberlake or Beiber in today's music??? I'm comfortable in my own masculinity to say that these are good looking guys but they can't sing.

Not "buying" into anything. I like what GNR was from 1985-1996 and now is again! From 2001-2006, that wasn't GNR or what brought me to like GNR. It was something that Axl thought GNR should be at that time. It didn't fit with what Guns was about. Shackler's Revenge is the perfect example. It was an ok song but that's something I would picture Nine Inch Nails to do. If I want that type of music, I'll listen to Nine Inch Nails not Guns. It didn't play to Axl's strength.  Guns is a blues based hard rock band. That's the strength and you need to expand upon your strengths.

I think DJ will bring a lot to the new album. He has solidified the chemistry of the band that was lacking in a huge way. I think it's pretty cool how DJ interacts with the crowd.  He has brought back that "it" factor. I'm totally looking forward to the new album.

BTW, lets agree to disagree. You have your taste and I have mine.  
imcrazy
Headliner

« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »

Maybe its because of the way things are going for GN'R right now but, it just feels like there should be a new album released this fall. It just feels like there should be and I will definitely be bummed if there's nothing.

I concur - they definitely need to strike while the irons hot.

I also agree with tippasaurus - don't see why they need DJ - I think Ron & Richard are all they need.  But if DJ makes Axl happy and it results in a new record sooner rather than later - then it's all good.

I got a headache like a mother - twice the price of my thrills
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »

Not "buying" into anything. I like what GNR was from 1985-1996 and now is again! From 2001-2006, that wasn't GNR or what brought me to like GNR. It was something that Axl thought GNR should be at that time. It didn't fit with what Guns was about. Shackler's Revenge is the perfect example. It was an ok song but that's something I would picture Nine Inch Nails to do. If I want that type of music, I'll listen to Nine Inch Nails not Guns. It didn't play to Axl's strength.  Guns is a blues based hard rock band. That's the strength and you need to expand upon your strengths.

I think DJ will bring a lot to the new album. He has solidified the chemistry of the band that was lacking in a huge way. I think it's pretty cool how DJ interacts with the crowd.  He has brought back that "it" factor. I'm totally looking forward to the new album.

BTW, lets agree to disagree. You have your taste and I have mine.  

It takes more than interacting with the crowd-Izzy never really did but is a brilliant songwriter.

libertad
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2012, 09:28:46 PM »

Fingers, I agree with you about Izzy but that's an entirely different situation. He was an original GNR member. Completely different story than what Axl was trying to do with the band. That would be for another thread.
Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »

I think that is doing DJ a disservice, he is a great guitar player and plays the songs very well. Ron is stupid good but DJ holds his own and does an amazing job of the Civil War solos and This I Love solo, plus two guitars would not sound as powerful, have you heard Mr Brownstone live recently? - WOW!
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #172 on: June 07, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »

next album will not come out until 2015 or 2016...write it down.. I said it...

Theres no way a new album is close to being ready. Axl has not stated otherwise since 2009 and then he said it was something they have not focused on.  I love the other members, dont get me wrong, but what they think and what Axl thinks does tend to be different.

Wishful thinking at best.. but as far as I know..anymore recording that has to be done has to be done on Axl's watch. He has to foot the bill for recording studios, getting the guys out to wherever recording is taking place, its not cheap..

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »

Wishful thinking at best.. but as far as I know..anymore recording that has to be done has to be done on Axl's watch. He has to foot the bill for recording studios, getting the guys out to wherever recording is taking place, its not cheap..

If this were 1995 maybe, not in 2012.  Recording can be done anywhere and many groups record separately and communicate through emails both on song ideas and sending tracks to each other.  The process of making a record is nowhere near as much of a pain in the ass as it used to be, due to technology there is a lot more flexibility. 
Uzi76
Headliner

Despite everything, all is beautiful

« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »

I drove a long way by myself to a gig and decided to listen to all of GNR's albums back to back. I hadn't listened to Chinese Democracy in a while and had never really heard all of the albums back to back. As you listen to them you see the growth album by album. But after listening to Chinese Democracy I got the sense that something was lacking. After listening it for a second time I concluded that what's missing is the attitude. Not in the lyrics but the music. The music on the first 4 albums sounded mean and nasty. Thats what drew me to there music in the first place. At the time it didnt sound like anything else out there. The music reflected the swagger and attitude of the band. I mean even the drums in Its so easy sound mean. I feel that that was missing on CD. It sounds Overproduced ( when you have a bunch of different producers working on the album in a 10 year period it will happen). I feel like with a new album the band has to go into the studio and capture that chemistry they have on stage and just release the album quickly. Dont record, let it sit around, tinker with it, fine tune it again and then release it. Trust yourselves. You have a great band. DJ's a good songwriter and seems to have a certain swagger. Take advantage and create something great.

I agree with you about the music not sounding as mean or nasty as the early stuff, but I took that as a positive because to me it reflected emotional growth and maturity.  After a certain age, the bad-ass attitude pose comes off a bit ridiculous, so I appreciated that the album had a sound that revealed some vulnerability.  But what was consistent from the old days was the honesty. 

I agree. Musicians evolve, singers evolve and so will the music. Back when they recorded Appetite and the Illusions all the members of GnR (and it does not matter who was in it back then or who  is in it now) were in their twenties. When CD was recorded everyone was in their thirties/forties. You can't compare how a 20 year old looks at the world to how a guy in his 40ties looks at the world. Or you'll get guys like Marilyn Manson, an over 40 year old still acting like a puber just because he has nothing else to offer. Nothing is more ridiculous than that.

I am very happy with the evolution of the band. The attidue on CD is not the same as on Appetite, simply because the attitude has changed, but that does not mean at all GnR didn't stay true to themselves. It is still the band that does not take shit from anyone and I think CD and how it was released is more than an example of that.

Remember in this game we call life that noone said it's fair.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »

I drove a long way by myself to a gig and decided to listen to all of GNR's albums back to back. I hadn't listened to Chinese Democracy in a while and had never really heard all of the albums back to back. As you listen to them you see the growth album by album. But after listening to Chinese Democracy I got the sense that something was lacking. After listening it for a second time I concluded that what's missing is the attitude. Not in the lyrics but the music. The music on the first 4 albums sounded mean and nasty. Thats what drew me to there music in the first place. At the time it didnt sound like anything else out there. The music reflected the swagger and attitude of the band. I mean even the drums in Its so easy sound mean. I feel that that was missing on CD. It sounds Overproduced ( when you have a bunch of different producers working on the album in a 10 year period it will happen). I feel like with a new album the band has to go into the studio and capture that chemistry they have on stage and just release the album quickly. Dont record, let it sit around, tinker with it, fine tune it again and then release it. Trust yourselves. You have a great band. DJ's a good songwriter and seems to have a certain swagger. Take advantage and create something great.

I agree with you about the music not sounding as mean or nasty as the early stuff, but I took that as a positive because to me it reflected emotional growth and maturity.  After a certain age, the bad-ass attitude pose comes off a bit ridiculous, so I appreciated that the album had a sound that revealed some vulnerability.  But what was consistent from the old days was the honesty. 

I agree. Musicians evolve, singers evolve and so will the music. Back when they recorded Appetite and the Illusions all the members of GnR (and it does not matter who was in it back then or who  is in it now) were in their twenties. When CD was recorded everyone was in their thirties/forties. You can't compare how a 20 year old looks at the world to how a guy in his 40ties looks at the world. Or you'll get guys like Marilyn Manson, an over 40 year old still acting like a puber just because he has nothing else to offer. Nothing is more ridiculous than that.

I am very happy with the evolution of the band. The attidue on CD is not the same as on Appetite, simply because the attitude has changed, but that does not mean at all GnR didn't stay true to themselves. It is still the band that does not take shit from anyone and I think CD and how it was released is more than an example of that.

Your speaking as thought its the same band as the appetite and Illusions era. My issue on my original post wasnt with the lyrics. The lyrics display the attitude that made me fall in love with the band in first place. Axl Rose will never be the happy song type and I love it. What I felt was lacking was attitude on the music. It wasnt there. Maybe because of overproduction or maybe because in reality it isnt the same band. They evolved from Appetite to Illusions but maintained the attitude in there music. Even the balads seemed dark.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

interesting comment from Neil Peart of Rush and Pete Townsend regarding new albums by older artists.....

"Boy, if you're not a working live act, your options are vanishingly few. We met Pete Townshend a couple of weeks ago at an awards show. We told him that we had just finished making an album and he kind of scoffed: "Making an album ? waste of time these days, isn't it?" Well ? we can only agree. We said, "Yes, but we had to do it; we wanted to do it." But the reality is, of course, as a thriving, bring-home-a-paycheck human being, it's working live. "

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-neil-peart-on-rushs-new-lp-and-being-a-bleeding-heart-libertarian-20120612#ixzz1xbDbd5QO

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »

interesting comment from Neil Peart of Rush and Pete Townsend regarding new albums by older artists.....

"Boy, if you're not a working live act, your options are vanishingly few. We met Pete Townshend a couple of weeks ago at an awards show. We told him that we had just finished making an album and he kind of scoffed: "Making an album ? waste of time these days, isn't it?" Well ? we can only agree. We said, "Yes, but we had to do it; we wanted to do it." But the reality is, of course, as a thriving, bring-home-a-paycheck human being, it's working live. "

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-neil-peart-on-rushs-new-lp-and-being-a-bleeding-heart-libertarian-20120612#ixzz1xbDbd5QO

To an extent its always been that way. Artists always made the majority of there money touring. Record sales only accounted for a piece of the pot. That being said, its 100 times worse now. I genuinely feel sorry for bands starting out now a days. Illegal downloading as well as the current state of the record industries have virtually killed the chances for any new bands to emerge and be profitable. If you notice the most popular touring acts now a days are the older established acts. Guns has that established fan base around the world so they will always be a profitable band.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2012, 10:27:27 AM »

To an extent its always been that way. Artists always made the majority of there money touring. Record sales only accounted for a piece of the pot. That being said, its 100 times worse now. I genuinely feel sorry for bands starting out now a days. Illegal downloading as well as the current state of the record industries have virtually killed the chances for any new bands to emerge and be profitable. If you notice the most popular touring acts now a days are the older established acts. Guns has that established fan base around the world so they will always be a profitable band.

I don't know about not being 'profitable'.  Musicians can still make decent money selling original music (more likely by selling singles), but the days of becoming a multi-millionaire off of one month's work making an album are over.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2012, 10:38:08 AM »

With the internet, it's 1000 times easier to follow a band, to find interviews, or clips on you tube, but for me, it was more fun 20 years ago to be a fan of a band-putting out an album is not a huge deal anymore because of the way the music business is-nothing will beat the anticipation of when the Illusion albums came out (I know it was a once in a lifetime thing)-the midnight sales, a new video/single coming out every couple of months-when they came out, the only songs we heard were Don't Cry, YCBM, Civil War, and LALD (live)-I think the fall would be great to do a U.S. tour and album release, but I just get the feeling it won't happen-I know this is beating a dead horse, but 10 years ago, but they had just done the MTV awards, the US tour was about to start, and when nothing was released, it took the winds out of the sails, and they never fully recovered.

libertad
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: