Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:25:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The GH story, the IRS connection, the possible future..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The GH story, the IRS connection, the possible future..  (Read 49322 times)
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2004, 01:13:38 PM »

Let me preface this by saying dont take anything in this post to be the gospel.  Its nothing more than a retelling of information I've provided previously along with new information that was shared with me by a friend (I'm not using the word 'source' anymore - the guy's a PD of a rock station in Florida - the guy is a friend of mine - and the guy is alot more 'connected' than I'd ever be.)

Feel free to flame / bash when I'm done with this - I'd expect nothing less from the sometimes vitrolic HTGTH crowd Smiley

Alright, months ago, when IRS was leaked - I made some calls / sent some emails at the moment I heard about it.  My primary goal was obviously to score a copy of the track, not necessarily to garner anything approaching information.  

What I found out at the time I posted a bit about - that IRS was leaked as the beginning of a 'twisting the thumbscrews' on Axl & the gang by 'certain entities' in Interscope / Universal to kind of 'prod along' a CD release.  I got a lot more info on this at the time - but the most interesting thing was that there was more coming.  I was told 'the money people are irked - and when the money people get pissed, heads roll'

Bascially, when IRS showed up on Trunk's show - Sanctuary scrambled - they are the ones who pushed to get the off-the-air tapes locked in safes and kept out of the hands of others.  SUPPOSEDLY, some sort of agreement was struck between Sanctuary & Interscope (and, presumably, GNR) when the leak occured (well, when knowledge of it appeared) and that agreement is what led to the rapid disappearance of IRS from the auditory radar.

Fast foward to shortly before november - we get the info about the DVDs - we get the info about GH - and we hear that GNR is none too happy about either of them.  We get to the point that ads are run (or at least submitted for print) and cover art is generated for this disc.  Then, it all disappears - like, without a trace.  I posted at the time about a supposed agreement between GNR & Interscope to 'stop' the wheels turning on GH and allow the band 'X' amount of time to release (or hand over for release) CD.  Sensing a pattern here?

The time frames set forth in this agreement were, according to my friend (talk all the smack about the guy you want - but he knows people I only *wish* I knew) 'announce a release date by end of March, release by end of May'.  So here comes late January - and all of a sudden, it seems like things are happening.  Pilferk & I both hear, from different sources, that 'actions are iminent' - the assumption I think we both made was "wow, looks like we're gonna get a release date or a single or something".  I was told, specifically, "look for the date on GH to be pushed back - or to disappear alltogether.. if it does, then REAL NEWS is iminent".  Hell, even Mysteron sort of confirmed the stuff Pilferk and I had posted in that one thread saying something along the lines of "expect official news in the next several weeks" (and yes, I know I'm paraphrasing here.. and I aplogize if I've misquoted Mysteron)

I figured ok, Mysteron's info is probably a bit more solid than my own - or Pilferk's - but it still jives, in general.. "info coming soon".  

Then, according to an email I received last night, "all hell has truly broken loose"  I can't tell you everything the guy said to me - hell, most of it doesnt relate to any of this - but here's the jist.. from, again, what's being heard from people 'in the know' (and it could still very well be wrong.. hence the problem with third-party information)

GH is coming out (a big 'duh' on that one)
GNR have yet to turn over a 'final mix' of CD to Interscope.
RIO IV's lack of official confirmation is a big problem - looks to be some sort of money issue.. I dont know the details on it.
If Axl attempts to sue to stop GH's release from occuring, then details of the 'gentlemen's agreement' made between the band and the label will be made public.  basically, it'll turn into a big old mud slinging fest.
It is the opinion of some higher-ups at Universal that GH is a more 'marketable' product than CD.  This is mostly the 'Rock = a 1/2 dead genre' type of folks.. but they're still money people.
Once GH 'streets', expect 2-3 more leaks of IRS caliber.  probably to file sharing networks as opposed to 3 AM on some radio show on a Holiday.  This point is big - its the 3rd time I've heard (from two different people now) in the last 8 months that there is a huge desire to 'punish' Axl for all of these delays.  IRS was step one in that punishment.  GH is step two.  leaks are step three.  step four is 'cut our losses and just drop this failed project'

For the record, I hope that none of the above is true.  I would love nothing more than for a CD release date to be announced tomorrow - and this time, for some actual new material as opposed to some ugly GH disc.

Feel free to bash, flame, respond, post, inquire, or just discuss - I'm sure that I have maybe 10% of the story on this.  Unfortunately, right now, all signs are pointing to 'sinking ship' by my perception - I'd love to be wrong.. and I pray that I am.  because if Interscope drops GNR -we are ALL fucked - as in, we dont hear these tracks anytime short of ever, pretty much.

Oh well - the saga that is GNR continues... sigh.

-darknemus

No offense to Dark, I think his chain is being yanked.

I don't see a record label sending an unreleased track to a Baseball player, not even knowing that he's going to be headed to a radio station at 1 in the morning not long afterwards. Not unless they're stupid and lucky or own a crystal ball. It doesn't make sense on any level for a record label to do this at all. I do see Axl doing this.

The GH was coming out with the DVD's. IMO, I think the GH was coming out around the time CD was going to be released all along. They know some fans who will buy CD wouldn't own the back records (the younger crowd) and they could make some added money with a "hits" CD, along with releasing DVD's for fans who were into GNR back in the day, with the hope they'll buy the GH's just because its an official GNR CD. Remember - Axl at the Zeppelin thing said he hoped to have CD out before 2004, so this could have been what the label was told - It wasn't ready for some reason so the GH"s was pulled, but they went ahead and released the DVD's anyway. They knew old fans would buy the DVD's, and they'll still be on the market once CD hits

Also, Darks story shows almost all the parties perspective, which would mean his insider would be close to all parties. That's not realistic no

A record label won't put music on the net for free that they can sell. It just won't happen that way. An artist might, but a label NEVER would.

The label really wouldn't have to twist Axl's arm with a greatest hits album. If that was the case they could just take CD and release it themselves (hell, if they got their hands on IRS and are threatening to put other songs on the web, they could very much take CD and release it and actually make money off of it).

If the songs are leaked, that will set Axl up in a great light for a law suit. Especially since they told them their plans, or he's aware of it somehow... Which really doesn't make sense! If he's prepared for this, it wouldn't be hard for him to trace who leaked the songs. But the main thing is: Labels will not work with file sharing groups, certainly not releasing anything they could sell. This would give Axl a great opportunity to sue Geffen and win.

None of this makes any sense.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 01:20:16 PM by misterID » Logged

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2004, 01:24:02 PM »

There's a few problems with this post.  I'm not going to Flame just state a key fact.

Everyone here knows what it is....  

Anyone that posts so-called inside information NEVER NAMES A NAME.

That to me is the key point.

I'm quite happy to name my sources

The Tommy dates was Tommy's booking agent. A friend. The GH saga was management back in Nov. Obviously it's all public now. Rock am ring stuff was Marek. Janes Addiction info was gnr management. They have the same managers. Download festival info was Clearchannel UK, a friend works there. Other festival info was mostly clearchannel overseas. Rumor shootdowns have been management. Gnr's Euro booking agent sorted out the festival hoaxes. The Street team is me and a few record industry friends, who also help link me up to people I don't know. And that's it. No mystery
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2004, 01:25:46 PM »

As for general conspiracy theories, I honestly don't know. But it's interesting to read anyway. All I know is, Gnr are plodding on with their CD plans, and that's all that matters to me; source - management
DemocracyRose
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2004, 01:30:44 PM »

As for general conspiracy theories, I honestly don't know. But it's interesting to read anyway. All I know is, Gnr are plodding on with their CD plans, and that's all that matters to me; source - management

I like that.... Plodding on....
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2004, 01:36:08 PM »

The GH's could be very simple. Axl could be against it because he doesn't want anything released with the old members on it before CD is released. The label wants to make extra money by releasing a GH's before CD is released, because when a kid goes to the record store who wasn't into GNR before hand, they'll see a greatest hits package sitting on the shelf right next to CD. If it was as serious as its being made out to be, he would have sued Geffen long ago.

My opinion - A gh's release means CD is coming soon. But that's just my opinion.

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2004, 01:41:56 PM »

and if I remember right, you stated to wait about 8 weeks or so..perhaps then we should know something more about CD. this source is from management also?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2004, 01:44:14 PM »

Mysteron, I haven't been following any of this..... So it is safe to say CD is done, finished, ready to roll, and the management is planning it's release?
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2004, 01:50:21 PM »

and if I remember right, you stated to wait about 8 weeks or so..perhaps then we should know something more about CD. this source is from management also?

No, it's not

I have my reasons for saying that, but it's based on opinion and not any information. It's all quite long winded and boring really
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2004, 01:55:59 PM »

Mysteron, I haven't been following any of this..... So it is safe to say CD is done, finished, ready to roll, and the management is planning it's release?

Management are planning it's release; I don't know the status of CD, I'd be vague if I were to answer that

Remember, it's best not to ask me questions, otherwise people think I am a troublemaker insider person, which I am not  hihi If I have info, I will give it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 01:57:34 PM by Mysteron » Logged
madagas
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2004, 01:56:55 PM »

Mysteron, why can't you tell us if the cd is done??? I think most people's fears are that the record is not finished. The rest is just business but fans want to know if there is a COMPLETED album. crying
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2004, 01:58:44 PM »

Mysteron, why can't you tell us if the cd is done??? I think most people's fears are that the record is not finished. The rest is just business but fans want to know if there is a COMPLETED album. crying

That question is never answered. Sorry

The best you have is what Dizzy said a few weeks ago on the radio
Smoke
Rocker

nobody ever told me baby,how it was going to be

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2004, 02:02:24 PM »

he said that it is done, managment is just deciding some details about how and when to release it.  So hopefully we will have it our hands, staring at it and  drool drool
SLCPUNK
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2004, 02:04:12 PM »

Well not to be a smart ass (really I'm not), but how are they planning the release but you can't comment on the status of CD? They are planning something that may or may not be done?

What did Dizzy say on the radio a few weeks back?
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2004, 02:05:39 PM »

That question is never answered. Sorry

The best you have is what Dizzy said a few weeks ago on the radio

I don't think you can expect Mysteron or anyone here to answer that question.

I think the CD is probably finished.  Most of the band seem to be free of solo comittments (so far) this summer, so I'm thinking we'll get word on something in March.  Something surely has to come out soon to confirm or rule out a Lisbon appearance.  If they do or don't do it then an official word would be the means of confirmation.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2004, 03:05:32 PM »

Mysteron, you say 'management are planning the release' - do you refer, specifically, to Sanctuary?

Let me see if I can phrase this question a bit more directly (thanks to someone who suggested this to me earlier, and it fits as well as anything else in the crazy GNR world)

Is it possible that Sanctuary might be trying to do an 'independent' release of CD - as in, not on the Interscope label?  And if thats possible, would it explain some of the what is seemingly 'not wanting to play ball' info coming from Interscopes side really being an issue of perception?  As in, they just want their money for GH and the DVDs and have cut some sort of deal with the band so that they dont incur the costs of promoting / marketing / distributing CD?

Hope that wasn't too convoluted sounding.

-darknemus

« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 03:16:45 PM by darknemus » Logged

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
dave_guns
Rocker

i am me

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2004, 03:29:15 PM »

thanks for the post dark, always interesting.

also, i have heard of labels leaking tracks onto p2p networks in order to create some buzz.  the most recent one i know of was when evanescene's label leaked theirr whole album onto kazaa.  the trick was they put glitches in all the songs, every 10 seconds or so.  so if you wanted the songs glitch free you had to go out and buy the disc.  genius idea really.  if there is some sort of plan to pressure axl, i wouldn't be surprised if more leaks happened.  the label wouldn't be lossing any more money than if axl just sits on the record until the contract runs out.

yes yes yes.  no no no.
madagas
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2004, 03:36:16 PM »

Darknemus, Mysteron in the past has said he deals with Sanctuary people-the band's "management". Just for the record, I wish the band would go independent and I hope it happens-but, only after Chinese Democracy. Going independent now would be a LONG/longer wait. If any of you people are familiar with the band Wilco and it's history with their major label battle, going to an independent label can be a blessing. Reprise dropped them after the band delivered Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The label let them take the cd and it ended up being their biggest selling album. It was all recorded for a documentary and is quite fascinating. The major label did not hear a "single" on the album so they negotiated an exit from the label. I am not saying that this will happen to Axl but it can and there could be a possibility he takes his new Gnr studio material with him. It is not far fetched. Grin
milkboy
Opening Act

I'll save you

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2004, 03:49:42 PM »

I don't buy into all the conspiracy theories about GH being a cover for CD, but one thing that strikes me as odd is that Geffen hasn't updated their website with GH in the upcoming releases. If they are truly fed up with GNR and are simply trying to re-coop lost money, you'd think they'd give it their "best effort" to market this thing. Updating their own website seems like a logical first step. Because this step hasn't been done yet, makes me wonder what in the hell is really going on?
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2004, 04:19:42 PM »

Mysteron, you say 'management are planning the release' - do you refer, specifically, to Sanctuary?

Let me see if I can phrase this question a bit more directly (thanks to someone who suggested this to me earlier, and it fits as well as anything else in the crazy GNR world)

Is it possible that Sanctuary might be trying to do an 'independent' release of CD - as in, not on the Interscope label?  And if thats possible, would it explain some of the what is seemingly 'not wanting to play ball' info coming from Interscopes side really being an issue of perception?  As in, they just want their money for GH and the DVDs and have cut some sort of deal with the band so that they dont incur the costs of promoting / marketing / distributing CD?

Hope that wasn't too convoluted sounding.

-darknemus

Yeah, Sanctuary

As for your suggestions, I'm not aware of anything outlandish happening, but as you said, the world of gnr is crazy, so nothing can be ruled out (opinion)
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2004, 04:20:27 PM »

thanks for the post dark, always interesting.

also, i have heard of labels leaking tracks onto p2p networks in order to create some buzz.  the most recent one i know of was when evanescene's label leaked theirr whole album onto kazaa.  the trick was they put glitches in all the songs, every 10 seconds or so.  so if you wanted the songs glitch free you had to go out and buy the disc.  genius idea really.  if there is some sort of plan to pressure axl, i wouldn't be surprised if more leaks happened.  the label wouldn't be lossing any more money than if axl just sits on the record until the contract runs out.

Nah, the label is too busy sending out newGNR songs to major league baseball players hihi

I can see it being done to create buzz for a forthcoming album, not to threaten an artist. Still, no label is going to leak songs when they can sell them, and they're not going to tell an artist what their plans are (or anyone else), especially when it sets them up for a lawsuit.

That Wilco documentary I'm Trying To Break Your Heart was killer.

"Will you smell the babies butt to see if he needs to be changed?" hihi

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: