Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  December 17th Gibson Amphitheatre (Updates, Discussion etc...)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: December 17th Gibson Amphitheatre (Updates, Discussion etc...)  (Read 52026 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2006, 12:36:35 PM »

Finck Rules.

Yes, he does. He doesn't need a top hat similar to what the 'last guy' wore as his trade mark to prove it either  peace

Are you talking about a hat like this?

Chief
Legend

« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2006, 12:39:02 PM »

Last night's show was simply Incredible!!!!!!! Even with the similar setlist to the last show I saw, the band was better than ever and tighter than ever.. on Fire!!  They just keep improving, its pretty amazing. I thought they were pretty good in May but now they are really gelling into a close knit group.  Bumblefoot is much more incorporated into the songs now.

Unlike all the other shows I saw on this tour, they didn't mess up at all as far as I could tell. Most importantly let me mention the sound. They either got a new sound guy or upgraded the sound/mixing system because the sound was the best i've ever heard at a GNR show.  I could hear Axl very loud and up front in the mix and as he has this whole year, he sounded amazing - almost perfect tonight.  I could also hear Dizzy playing the congas, the keyboards and Pittman's effects pretty well and all 3 guitar players very well too.  I was surprised actually how good the sound mix was.  In NYC in may, the sound was very on and off.

Axl hit every scream and high note, and then some and everyone was in a great mood.  At one point Axl was joking around with Sebastian saying he was having a "shit-tastic time" and he also mentioned the boisterous crowd.

There were no weaknesses in the vocals that I could hear except for the intro to SCOM, which he seems to have a little trouble with I've noticed.  Last night however, it was one of the best renditions after the beginning section.
Paradise City was also a little rough in one part but after that it sounded golden!

Better was really awesome too, one of my favorite new songs. It got a pretty good reaction and Axl was full on jumping and stomping his feet during the middle segment along with Tommy.

Robin's guitar solo was great too, a nice slow bluesy one this time.  With the drums it kind of reminded me of one of the solos on the UYI tour.  Frank was killing it on YCBM and Axl had the crowd in the palm of his hand.  Dizzy played a version of the Stones' Angie before the Blues, which sounded excellent.  I am digging the solo spots a lot more than in the beginning because they are getting better and they are changing them up, but I must say that the energy in the crowd dies down a lot when the solos start.  I understand why they do it but maybe switching the solo spots around may help?

KOHD featured some great vocal acrobatics and singalongs and got a great reaction!  Then Richard and Robin played Little Wing and part of Angel by Hendrix.  Very cool and Much better than what they used to do, Beautiful.
Out Ta Get me really revs the crowd up again and gets the fists pumping in the air.  All the little piano moving jams were really cool - all different than what i've heard before.  One of them sounded like it could be a cool song and Axl played piano on one of them and also the maracas.
November Rain was epic, very impressive.  Just when you think you've heard that song too many times, GNR plays the hell out of it!

IRS sounds a bit different than it did before, more bluesy.  They kicked ass on this song and it got a good reaction. 

When Izzy was announced the place exploded and I was so happy and excited to see him live after all these years. He came out in a black suit and black fedora with sunglasses on and he had a blast. He was moving to the front and side, even up on the drum riser at one point and I also saw him give a pick to a fan.  It was very poignant to hear some of the Izzy songs played when he was there and I could even catch some of his background vocals at times. 
Izzy played the intro of Used to Love her with a false start and got the crowd to start clapping.  They totally nailed this song (complete with a long held note at the end) and it had a solo from Richard and Robin.
Patience started off with just Izzy and Axl, stage dark.  Izzy played a little intro to it by himself and they played one of the best versions I've ever heard.  Axl had the lower register vocals going perfectly.
After that the band exploded into Nightrain and that song has become a real barn burner.  There were several sick solos by Bumblefoot (on fretless) and Robin and everyone was running around all over the place!!

The encore got a better than expected reaction, especially Chinese Democracy (complete with pyro).  It has a new longer intro with smoke and sound effects, etc.  They also play a very cool video montage with a Chinese theme.  Then came Paradise City in all its glory and debauchery, and they tore it up!  It was so, so great to see them all give a bow at the end with Izzy smiling and just having a blast with all the guys.  Axl thanked us for coming and was genuinely appreciative of us joining their "late night soir?e". He also threw a jab at all the negative people and said they they were going to prove that they could do it and be successful.

If you are on the fence about going to these last 2 LA shows, GO!  travel if you have to.. just DO IT!  I got to bed around 3 am but it was all worth it.  I think we are in for some great things to come in the next few months!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
SterileEyes
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2006, 12:40:08 PM »

Robin always (as far as I know on this tour) comes out for Jungle wearing a dark jacket, sunglasses and a hat. Why are you even discussing this as if it's something new? And what the hell does that have to do with his playing???
His solo was a killer - at least 5 min......First, he jammed on something that somebody said was a Zeppelin song. I can't confirm that but the tune did sound familiar and I hadn't heard it before played by him. Then he went into his bluesy solo before Sweet Child. Again, that was the longest Robin solo I've heard this year and it got very good response from the crowd......
All of the above maybe a little subjective since Robin is my favorite new gunner.  Grin

Why am I discussing it? Because I paid money to see a show and I gave my opinion of it (which was a 9.5/10, try not focusing so much on the -.5, it's a little facist of you...)

And he didn't wear a top hat at Inland Invasion, which was the other show I um, paid to see this year, so it's new for me. Want a tissue?  Cheesy

At least you admit your opinion is subjective.

Someone said '...Like Slash is the only person to wear a top hat ever onstage'...I'm guessing if Robin showed up onstage one day with a mop of curly black hair, that person would say '...like Slash is the only person to ever have curly black hair onstage'.

P.S. to the person who just posted the picture, no it was not a hat like that. Maybe a similar shape but it was black and quite Slash-ey. He doesn't need it in my opinion. Keyword, opinion. Now I'm done discussing it cause Jarmo will probably ban me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:28:54 PM by SterileEyes » Logged

Follow the link below to hear my cover of "Pretty Tied Up"

http://www.myspace.com/marlahooch1
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2006, 12:47:26 PM »

And he didn't wear a top hat at Inland Invasion, which was the other show I um, paid to see this year, so it's new for me.

He did, but you were not paying attention? hihi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7hNTH5McGI&mode=related&search=

thanks Chief for the great review!  ok
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:50:46 PM by velimir » Logged
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2006, 12:52:15 PM »

And he didn't wear a top hat at Inland Invasion, which was the other show I um, paid to see this year, so it's new for me. Want a tissue?? Cheesy

I was on the rail at Inland Invasion and Robin came out 4 feet in front of me for the opening of Jungle. You bet he was wearing a hat then. Yes, it is very similar to the one on the pic above.
And this is an objective statement. See for yourself:

I'm out since this is turning into a completely pointless discussion.....of what someone is wearing....and effect it should have on someone's review of the performace.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
Chief
Legend

« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2006, 12:54:28 PM »

Speaking of Robin's performance .. it was really great.. he has grown so much this year and I believe he's shown how good he really is over this tour.  I had my doubts before but now i dig him.
I also like the fact that he is making small changes to the solos, a little bit of improv. here and there!

my buddy told me he sounds just like slash after SCOM.

SterileEyes
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »

And he didn't wear a top hat at Inland Invasion, which was the other show I um, paid to see this year, so it's new for me.

He did, but you were not paying attention  hihi

thanks Chief for the great review!  ok

haha...ok you got me, it's still my opinion. I was 200 feet back at that Inland show and had 8 new bandmembers to pay attention to during the first couple songs and the hat mustve slipped by me, that's the excuse I'm going with.

Also, forgot to add....props to Frank...he does a great job. Hits hard. It was my first time seeing him. I also dug Ron's fretless work...I didn't pay much attention to it last time but it sounds quite awesome.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 01:14:08 PM by SterileEyes » Logged

Follow the link below to hear my cover of "Pretty Tied Up"

http://www.myspace.com/marlahooch1
Chief
Legend

« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2006, 12:56:42 PM »

Frank was really good.  He is a monster on drums and a few times where he added some thunderlike fills i was pleasantly surprised.  i definitely think he is worthy, but i would still like to see Brain back.

oh yeah i just remembered.. Bumblefoot added some riffs/fills that i had never heard before in chinese democracy.  maybe it was the fact that the sound was a lot better, i'm not sure?

and another cool thing i saw was Robin hugging Izzy during one of the songs and Izzy jamming back to back with Tommy just like he used to do in the old days!

* something i had never seen before - right before michelle, Axl did this impromptu scream. he was having fun .. he also did the evil laugh in the middle.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 01:13:19 PM by Chief » Logged

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2006, 01:19:32 PM »

Last night's show was simply Incredible!!!!!!! Even with the similar setlist to the last show I saw, the band was better than ever and tighter than ever.. on Fire!!? They just keep improving, its pretty amazing. I thought they were pretty good in May but now they are really gelling into a close knit group.? Bumblefoot is much more incorporated into the songs now.

Unlike all the other shows I saw on this tour, they didn't mess up at all as far as I could tell. Most importantly let me mention the sound. They either got a new sound guy or upgraded the sound/mixing system because the sound was the best i've ever heard at a GNR show.? I could hear Axl very loud and up front in the mix and as he has this whole year, he sounded amazing - almost perfect tonight.? I could also hear Dizzy playing the congas, the keyboards and Pittman's effects pretty well and all 3 guitar players very well too.? I was surprised actually how good the sound mix was.? In NYC in may, the sound was very on and off.

Axl hit every scream and high note, and then some and everyone was in a great mood.? At one point Axl was joking around with Sebastian saying he was having a "shit-tastic time" and he also mentioned the boisterous crowd.

There were no weaknesses in the vocals that I could hear except for the intro to SCOM, which he seems to have a little trouble with I've noticed.? Last night however, it was one of the best renditions after the beginning section.
Paradise City was also a little rough in one part but after that it sounded golden!

Better was really awesome too, one of my favorite new songs. It got a pretty good reaction and Axl was full on jumping and stomping his feet during the middle segment along with Tommy.

Robin's guitar solo was great too, a nice slow bluesy one this time.? With the drums it kind of reminded me of one of the solos on the UYI tour.? Frank was killing it on YCBM and Axl had the crowd in the palm of his hand.? Dizzy played a version of the Stones' Angie before the Blues, which sounded excellent.? I am digging the solo spots a lot more than in the beginning because they are getting better and they are changing them up, but I must say that the energy in the crowd dies down a lot when the solos start.? I understand why they do it but maybe switching the solo spots around may help?

KOHD featured some great vocal acrobatics and singalongs and got a great reaction!? Then Richard and Robin played Little Wing and part of Angel by Hendrix.? Very cool and Much better than what they used to do, Beautiful.
Out Ta Get me really revs the crowd up again and gets the fists pumping in the air.? All the little piano moving jams were really cool - all different than what i've heard before.? One of them sounded like it could be a cool song and Axl played piano on one of them and also the maracas.
November Rain was epic, very impressive.? Just when you think you've heard that song too many times, GNR plays the hell out of it!

IRS sounds a bit different than it did before, more bluesy.? They kicked ass on this song and it got a good reaction.?

When Izzy was announced the place exploded and I was so happy and excited to see him live after all these years. He came out in a black suit and black fedora with sunglasses on and he had a blast. He was moving to the front and side, even up on the drum riser at one point and I also saw him give a pick to a fan.? It was very poignant to hear some of the Izzy songs played when he was there and I could even catch some of his background vocals at times.?
Izzy played the intro of Used to Love her with a false start and got the crowd to start clapping.? They totally nailed this song (complete with a long held note at the end) and it had a solo from Richard and Robin.
Patience started off with just Izzy and Axl, stage dark.? Izzy played a little intro to it by himself and they played one of the best versions I've ever heard.? Axl had the lower register vocals going perfectly.
After that the band exploded into Nightrain and that song has become a real barn burner.? There were several sick solos by Bumblefoot (on fretless) and Robin and everyone was running around all over the place!!

The encore got a better than expected reaction, especially Chinese Democracy (complete with pyro).? It has a new longer intro with smoke and sound effects, etc.? They also play a very cool video montage with a Chinese theme.? Then came Paradise City in all its glory and debauchery, and they tore it up!? It was so, so great to see them all give a bow at the end with Izzy smiling and just having a blast with all the guys.? Axl thanked us for coming and was genuinely appreciative of us joining their "late night soir?e". He also threw a jab at all the negative people and said they they were going to prove that they could do it and be successful.

If you are on the fence about going to these last 2 LA shows, GO!? travel if you have to.. just DO IT!? I got to bed around 3 am but it was all worth it.? I think we are in for some great things to come in the next few months!!

Love the review Chief! Also love to see Axl have a pop at the negative people out there! It's been so over annoying the years to listen to those kind of peoples whining! What a great time to be a GnR fan! Wish I had been there last night, sounds like it was mother fucker of a show! Mike

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2006, 01:21:31 PM »

Very nice reviews and thanks for the interesting details chief and everyone.

His solo was a killer - at least 5 min......First, he jammed on something that somebody said was a Zeppelin song. I can't confirm that but the tune did sound familiar and I hadn't heard it before played by him.

What zep song I'm curious. Or maybe from some irish folk song.

BTW the robin hat at your link looks exactly same to the one I have. I also have a felt hat and often wear tunics.
He must be mocking me.  yes
RJ1221
Rocker

5 dolla Spock bill!

« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2006, 01:35:34 PM »

you lucky cunts got izzy!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2006, 01:36:53 PM »

SOunds like a killer show! 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2006, 02:31:13 PM »

From Blabbermouth.net

Ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Izzy Stradlin joined his former bandmate, Axl Rose, and his new version of GUNS N' ROSES on stage at the Gibson Amphitheatre at Universal CityWalk in Universal City, CA Sunday night (Dec. 17) for five numbers.

According to Reuters, Stradlin, who quit GUNS N' ROSES in November 1991 and has lived a fairly reclusive existence ever since, looked like a Blues Brother, decked out in dark suit, fedora and shades. He played guitar and contributed harmonies to "Think About You", "Used to Love Her", "Patience" and "Nightrain", and returned for the final tune, "Paradise City". Watch video clips of "Mr. Brownstone" (video) and "The Blues" (video) from last night's show.

Stradlin has made a handful of surprise appearances at GUNS shows this year, beginning last May in New York, and continuing during the European swing over the summer. Until this year, he had not played with the band since 1993, when he briefly subbed for his injured replacement, Gilby Clarke.

YouTube:

Brownstone  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6i5lo-7CY8

Blues:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5Q9O-UHxA

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2006, 03:04:04 PM »

I'm going to the show on the 19th.  Hopefully Izzy will be there.  To anyone who went on the 17th, is the Gibson Theatre hard to find?  I haven't been to CityWalk for about 6 years.  It's basically just a big outdoor mall right?  Does anyone know whereabout the Gibson Theatre is located in there?  Thanks.   
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2006, 03:35:32 PM »

Thanks for the reviews and videos!  beer

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Chief
Legend

« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2006, 03:57:03 PM »

once you get to city walk and park, just look at one of the maps / signs and it is pretty easy to find. its at the end of the whole outdoor mall area

I'm going to the show on the 19th.  Hopefully Izzy will be there.  To anyone who went on the 17th, is the Gibson Theatre hard to find?  I haven't been to CityWalk for about 6 years.  It's basically just a big outdoor mall right?  Does anyone know whereabout the Gibson Theatre is located in there?  Thanks.   

Chief
Legend

« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2006, 03:59:11 PM »

One other thing i noticed which was really great to see was that Axl shaking people's hands.  It was the most i've ever seen him do - he must have shook at least 50 people's hands during the show!!
During Madagascar it seemed like a clip from the vma show.

someone also made a sign which was shown on the screen: I love you Axl, you're the best! 

A Bunch of people were doing an Izzy Chant too, which was sweet!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 04:02:50 PM by Chief » Logged

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2006, 04:02:31 PM »

Here's my review:

The whole day was crazy!  I was getting calls left and right from people, IM's and whatnot.  The excitement was getting to everyone.  Finally Edward Rose calls and I clear my head and head off to the show.  The Gibson Amphitheatre is about 10 minutes from my house (5 when yours truly is driving  Wink)

I make it to the Citywalk, where I meet up with our very own w.axl.rose and his sister.  So we call Kaleigh and her brother to come over.  So we're all just waiting in front of the Hard Rock Cafe for everyone to arrive when I call Edward Rose.  I call him and we're talking and I turn around and he's right behind me!  He was there the whole time!  So we go inside and we're waiting on our food.  Coincidentally, they put us in the GN'R section.  Unfortunately, Axl's Paradise City jacket isn't there anymore.  So we're all just hanging around and exchanging stories.  And then out of nowhere this guy in a GN'R work shirt comes up to our section and asks us if we're from the forums.  It was Buddha Master!  What an unexpected pleasure!  So Buddha joins us and we're just hanging around.  Jack and his friends came by, but just for a little bit.  The Hard Rock people were really cool, they put on Welcome To The Videos, which got a warm reception.

As we leave the Hard Rock, I get a text from Jack tellimg me that he met Frank!  Very cool indeed.  So we just decide to go to the Ampitheatre. (the Jewish concert wasn't doing it for us)  We pass a magnet store and there we see Frank just standing there!  So we all take pictures and tell him how great he is.  He was real nice.  A gentle giant, so to say.  Then he gets a call from Dizzy.  (We didn't know it was Dizzy at the time, but we soon found out Wink)  After a few moments Dizzy comes with Del James!  We were all going crazy!  But we kept it to ourselves fortunately, so we didn't embarass ourselves.  (well, maybe just a little bit Grin

We all took pictures with Dizzy, and I started talking to him about me playing the piano as well, and I asked him what he had up his sleeve tonight for his solo.  I told him Ziggy Stardust was amazing at Inland Invasion, and I CASUALLY mention Angie.....hehehe.  Dizzy was real cool.  I've never met him before, but is he always subdued?  I ask because he seemed a little sad to me.  But maybe that's just how he is, I dunno! 

I was nervous about talking to Del, because he was so quiet.  And I had a little difficulty recognizing him, because he was wearing a beanie.  But we shook hands, and I told him that I really like his articles, and would love for him to write some more.  At that, he just chuckled and we said farewell.  I also mentioned that there would be no negativity tonight from anyone, and everyone just smiled.

So we get to the gates, and Edward was having trouble getting his credentials, so I gave him my ticket, which was extra, in case he couldn't get in.  Kaleigh had an extra, so I just ended up joining her for the night.  Thankfully Ron came and helped Edward get everything sorted out.

So we get inside, luckily I snuck the camera in.  The Suicide Girls came on, which didn't really do it for me.  I didn't even get a hard on for God's sake!  During that time, I just chilled with Jack and company, until the heavy hip hop beats became unbearable.  So I went up with Kaleigh and her mom and bro to get some merchandise.  I got the flag, blue GN'R pistol shirt and the kick ass poster.

We went back down for Helmet.  I don't want to come off as dissing a band, especially one that's not so big.  I would only recommend them to people who like a lot of distortion and a singer that screams and doesn't really sing.

As for Sebastian Bach?  He totally rules!  He has so much energy, and a great set of pipes.  I was the first person to pull out the lighter for 18 And Life, and Baz saw me, and told everyone to pull out their lighters and cell phones.  I looked back and it was a real cool sight seeing all those phones and lighters, it was just like Christmas!  Everyone loved him, no one was sitting down for the entire show. 

After Baz ended at around 11:00, it was time to meet some more friends.  I thought the wait would be super long, but the lights went down at 11:50 and the intro started.  We got the GUNS...N'....ROSES chant going...and then Robin kicked in!

The place had so much energy.  Everyone was singing along to all the words.  We were jumping up and down like a bunch of crazed hooligans...and Axl loved it and he fed off of us.  He shook almost everyone's hand (that was within range) in the pit area.  He had a big smile on his face and he kept saying silly things, he was so happy! 

As if it was choreographed, when LALD rolled around, everyone "Flicked Their Bic."  Axl really shows off his pipes during this song.  He's a monster!  I dare anyone tell me with a straight face that his voice is crappy.

I can't believe the reception that Better got!  It was on tier with Jungle and PC.  The place was rocking out.  And I was surprised that everyone was singing along word for word!

Another highlight was during YCBM, when we all yelled "With your ass in the air!" for Axl.  He looked like a kid in a candy shop!

The solo's kicked ass, although Ron didn't get one this time.  I really like the Fortus and Finck solo.  Dizzy played Angie for his solo before The Blues.

Just to clarify something.  Izzy was on all the songs except the new songs.  This includes Used To Love Her and Nightrain.  And definitely Paradise City.

I love how Chinese Democracy has this extended awesome intro.  Then Robin kicks in and the place goes nuts.

What a great show.  Brought home some RED confetti, and a lot of great memories.  And now I repeat two more times! 

I know I'm probably forgetting stuff, if you have any questions, do ask.
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #218 on: December 18, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »

Its easy to find, there will be signs on citywalk. Its past the Jody Maroni's hotdog place.

Anyways... that show was awesome. Best concert I've ever been to, I've never seen guns live.

I had a great view, even from Mezzanine, but I'm pissed cause my friend snuck down to the orchestra area and it looks like people were alot more into it down there.

Sound quality was superb, Axl's voice sounded like it was straight from the records... AWESOME
Chief
Legend

« Reply #219 on: December 18, 2006, 04:06:53 PM »

Garry - sorry i missed you man, i got there way too late.. but i'll see you at the next one.

btw you said izzy was on all the songs, thats not exactly correct. he played on Think, Used, Patience, Nightrain and Paradise City.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: