Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later  (Read 42760 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 01:50:04 PM »

I haven't played the whole disc in months. 

Sorry was my early favorite, but to me If The World now holds that title.  Last night Better came on the ipod... Axl's voice during the verse is so awesome and Bucket's solos melt my face every time on that song. 

My 3 favorite tunes from Album... If the World, Better, Chinese Democracy. 

Songs like Scrapped and Shacklers have fallen by the way side for me and are the closest thing to filler on the album.

Cather in the Rye pulled the biggest come back for me.  I didn't like the song at first. 

Its a good album with some awesome musicianship.
The Glow Inc.
Headliner

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »

I didn't like Riad at first because of the "AAAAAaaaaaaaaah"s lol

But after a while, the chorus got stuck in my head. Oh and it also has my favourite bbf solo of the album.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »

Still not tired of it.

There's not many albums I've listened to for about nine months without putting them aside for a while....

Chinese Democracy is one of them.

/jarmo

I was just thinking about that the other day. I've listened to at least some of this album if not all every day since release and it's showing no sign of wearing off on me anytime soon.

Well played GN'R

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 08:20:48 PM »

Still not tired of it.

There's not many albums I've listened to for about nine months without putting them aside for a while....

/jarmo

I was just thinking about that the other day. I've listened to at least some of this album if not all every day since release and it's showing no sign of wearing off on me anytime soon.

Well played GN'R

I actually still listen to Appetite daily...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »

CD: Great build up/intro, love Ron's guitar during the verses, it def came a long way from earlier versions but I can't believe it was the first single... I knew this shit was doomed when I heard this was gonna be the first single: 7.5/10

Better: Intro is so ANNOYING, Robin's guitar makes my ears bleed on the intro and that falsetto just doesn't work for me. Other than that, very solid song, I think it could be the most overrated GNR song ever though. A straight rock version would be killer but those Chris Pittman Super Mario farts over the most kick ass guitar riff on the album just ruins it. 7.5/10

Shackler's Revenge: Love everything about this song. It is mean, brutal, has great music,lyrics,melodies and i love the demons marching from hell section during the solo 9/10

Street Of Dreams: At RIR III, that version I give a 10/10 Axl's vocal in the intro is some of the greatest shit I've ever heard. Here though on SOD, the song just isn't as good. Axl's raspy intro sounds awful. It drags, Axl's voice isn't as good and something feels missing. RIRIII 10/10 CD version 7/10

If the World: one of my favorites on the album, should've been a single. just so different but awesome as hell. The classical.flamenco type guitars from Bucket are awesome, great vocal etc 9/10

There Was A Time: Horrible lyrics but the music,melodies make up for probably the worst lyrics Axl has written since Shotgun Blues and Get in the Ring Axl's outro lyrics and emotion save it as does Bucket's genius 9/10

Catcher in the Rye: Demo was a 10 out of 10 and then here comes CD's clusterfuck version. First off, the intro is just horrible. that bass lick and the guitars just does not work. It sounds just horribly mixed. Ron is a super nice guy and does a great job on most of the album, but his guitar solos on Catcher just ruin the song for me. I can't even listen to it now just cause the mixing,music is so clusterfucked and bad. Demo 10/10 CD version 7/10

Scraped: Love it, don't mind the intro although I turn it down if people are around till the song kicks in. Great lyrics, melodies etc 8.5/10

Rhiad: I don't hate it, its only I can't relate to a word of it, so If I am working out, it gets u moving but I NEVER listen to this song 6/10

Sorry: Sounds like Seger's Turn The Page in a way, Love the emotion, some cringe worthy lyrics but I love the music,Bucket's solo is fabulous and the vocals are powerful 9/10

IRS:Hate it just a huge clusterfuck of epic proportions 4/10

Madagascar top 5 GNR song ever for me, love everything about this. I discovered this song back in 2001 when I was going through the worst 3 years of my life and this song resonated with me in a way that I can't being to explain 10/10

This I Love: I hate when people compare this to Estranged.... Estranged has so many changes and various musical parts and is truly a masterpiece. TIL is pretty much the same thing over and over and over with one of the worst guitar solos ever laid down on top of it.

Without the solo TIL is a 9/10 with the solo its a 6/10 so I give it an 8/10

Prostitute: once again, problem with this song is, it is the same thing over and over and over and over and over

I love GNR due to the diversity and how music changes in the songs and the songs have so many different moments and they fit together to become a great song. like Coma had no structure, Estranged changed tempo and riffs and feel so many times, NR has that awesome intro and outro etc etc
 Axl's vocals,emotion and lyrics save it though and i give it a 9.10

101.5/140=7/10

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 11:10:58 PM »

Still not tired of it.

/jarmo

Well played GN'R

Same here I listen to almost all the albums daily just not in any order beer

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 12:06:09 AM »

I love GNR due to the diversity and how music changes in the songs and the songs have so many different moments and they fit together to become a great song. like Coma had no structure, Estranged changed tempo and riffs and feel so many times, NR has that awesome intro and outro etc etc
 Axl's vocals,emotion and lyrics save it though and i give it a 9.10

Estranged never changed tempo; there are parts where they play half time, but in terms of tempo, it stays constant.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 01:07:38 AM »

Sorry Poor word choice, it just consistently changes musically but it all fits together perfectly. Doesn't feel like a bad cut and paste job.

greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 05:58:27 AM »

haven't heard it once since december 2008. I will sure pick it up sometime in the future and get immersed in it again but so far this thing grew old very fast.

still I think it is a solid record, but I am disappointed in how my favorite songs (especially Catcher) were absolutely butchered in the final cut.

homo homini lupus...
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 07:42:53 AM »

Still not tired of it.

/jarmo

Well played GN'R

I went through phases with AFD and UYI's like that as well. I'm sure eventually I'll get that way with CD. Just let it be something I listen more often than other artists.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »

Catcher in the Rye: Demo was a 10 out of 10 and then here comes CD's clusterfuck version. First off, the intro is just horrible. that bass lick and the guitars just does not work.
That's not bass, just Ron's clean guitar.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »

Catcher in the Rye: Demo was a 10 out of 10 and then here comes CD's clusterfuck version. First off, the intro is just horrible. that bass lick and the guitars just does not work.
That's not bass, just Ron's clean guitar.

Really?

WOW, sounds very bass like

just horrible the guitar in Catcher. Absolutely ruins what was gonna be my favorite song.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 06:22:59 PM »

... and if you hadn't heard the leaks, it would be amazing.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »

i like all the songs, i just wish the drums were a little louder, i can't really listen to all of the dinamics. UYI's drums were a lot more clear.
Riad seems like a sick song on the drums but most of it is blurred out but the guitars and synth... the drums and the bass should be louder for my taste.

funny thing is, the song i least liked when cd came out was If the World and now it's the one i listen the most.

Chinese Democracy!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »

Love it.  The disc is in, and has stayed in my computer since November, '08.  The album is framed and will stay hanging on my wall. 

I'm confused by the IRS-hate.  In my eyes it is fucking brilliant. 

Songs I can't stop listening to (in no particular order, depending on my mood):  Better, There Was a Time, Scraped, Sorry, IRS, Madagascar, This I Love, and Prostitute.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »

I'm not going to write another review of CD 9 months later. However, I will say that some of my favorites on the album are: If The World, Sorry, Chinese demo, TWAT, IRS, Better, Street of Dreams and Madagascar. This I Live is starting to grow on me since I can now relate to it better. D, I have to disagree with you about There was A Time. I thought the lyrics are good!
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 09:05:28 PM »

I love all the songs this album was to me like with AFD in that aspect  peace

PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 10:20:16 PM »

IRS is the worst song in the album..

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Chief
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 12:09:30 AM »

D - why do you think there was a time has horrible lyrics? i think they're pretty good, telling a story anyway.

I just listened again for the first time in a while and i still really love the album even though some of my favorites have changed and i appreciate songs like Catcher, Sorry, This I love more than i did at first.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 12:10:44 AM »

D - why do you think there was a time has horrible lyrics? i think they're pretty good, telling a story anyway.

I just listened again for the first time in a while and i still really love the album even though some of my favorites have changed and i appreciate songs like Catcher, Sorry, This I love more than i did at first.
I know it grows on you the more you listen to the songs

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: