Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:08:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR albums and Warrant
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR albums and Warrant  (Read 51327 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2014, 06:14:33 PM »

You have never put mygnr on and laughed at some of the stuff on there, although, deep down, you know a lot of it is 'below the belt' and a bit tasteless?

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about.  Some of it can be truly funny.

Shit can get derailed for pages, but I just skip all that stuff.  I go there to laugh.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #221 on: September 02, 2014, 06:28:17 PM »

Do you at least see how the other lives though?  Read but not post, maybe?

No.  I generally don't.
Maybe if the band is on tour to check out the show updates if we're not getting them from Jarmo.

You have never put mygnr on and laughed at some of the stuff on there, although, deep down, you know a lot of it is 'below the belt' and a bit tasteless?

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about.  Some of it can be truly funny.

Shit can get derailed for pages, but I just skip all that stuff.  I go there to laugh.

I'm sure mygnr is happy you enjoy their site.
I personally prefer HTGTH.
To each his own.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
bananasforaxl
Headliner

« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »

[quote author=jarmo link=topic=65964.msg1370048#msg1370048 date=

We're sorry that you can't get that much needed missing piece of the puzzle that you call your life. We all want a new album, but it seems some aren't as dependent on it as others are. They seem to manage fine without having to vent about it day after day and turn everything positive into the same fucking boring tirade about how there's still no new album.

One thing is for certain. The next GN'R album will be the best the band has ever made. It must be. No other album has been this "needed" before. It's like giving a glass of water to the person who didn't drink for weeks. Best glass of water ever!

Yeah, I'm joking. We all know the drill. We've been there already and know how it all went down last time GN'R released and album some fans "needed".....

/jarmo

[/quote]

I think it's like this: Axl came into many of our lives like a hurricane back in '87, and by his own account, the band and the music came above all else. No one else sounds like him, and no one else writes like he does--his passion captivated us then and for me at least, the fascination has never waivered. I remember the first time I heard KOHD. It came on the radio, I had no idea Guns had recorded it (life before Internet was tough). Within the first few words I knew who I was listening to and it was magical--hearing Axls voice on something new always affects me the same way. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd pay to hear him sing the phone book. So yeah, I want new music too. I personally don't care who wrote the music, who played on the tracks,  blah blah--in the end if it gets THAT voice out there again, well that's all that matters. I think we can all agree, Axl Rose is a vocal and lyrical genius, and we need him. The touring is great, I travel often to see them and the set list doesn't matter--it's the experience I'm after--but I do hope that the drive to create that once lived in Axl is still there. I choose to believe it is--it's just really hard to wait   Wink

Minneapolis September 1992
Minneapolis December 2006
Winnipeg January 2010
Minneapolis November 2011
Chicago November 2011
Las Vegas November 2012
Las Vegas May 2014 x 2
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »

You can get an idea of a show or live performance through Youtube. But to only go by that is a bit like removing the beef patty from a hamburger... You can get an idea of what the whole meal might be like, but you can't replace the main ingredient just like that.

Same thing with shows. Being present gives you a whole different perspective on it. Why do you think any serious journalist who reviews live concerts don't just use Youtube clips to base their reviews on? A concert is much more than just how well the songs are performed. If you want a perfect sounding performance, you got the album.

Hell, these days many concerts are more about dance moves, choreography, clothes and other visual stimulation than about the audio aspect!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »

You can get an idea of a show or live performance through Youtube. But to only go by that is a bit like removing the beef patty from a hamburger... You can get an idea of what the whole meal might be like, but you can't replace the main ingredient just like that.

Same thing with shows. Being present gives you a whole different perspective on it. Why do you think any serious journalist who reviews live concerts don't just use Youtube clips to base their reviews on? A concert is much more than just how well the songs are performed. If you want a perfect sounding performance, you got the album.

Hell, these days many concerts are more about dance moves, choreography, clothes and other visual stimulation than about the audio aspect!

I agree with all of this.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2014, 10:45:53 AM »

and Hell freezes over.....lol

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »

Hahahaha

I actually get along better with Jarmo then some of these other cats.

Ultimately, we are all lifelong, insane level fans.  There's common ground there.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »

But I will say this, I don't put too much importance or weight on peoples' opinion on live shows based on concert recordings on Youtube.

A concert is something you enjoy there and then. Not something you sit and analyze frame by frame and compare to how the songs sound on the records.

It's always kinda amusing reading people "review" performances they didn't attend after you went to that show and saw fans leaving with smiles on their faces...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »

It's always kinda amusing reading people "review" performances they didn't attend after you went to that show and saw fans leaving with smiles on their faces...

But that's a given.  Its inevitable.  I never understood why this is supposed to be some trump card.

I just went and saw Motley Crue's farewell tour with my brother, because we've been fans for 25 years.  And I had a blast.  Everyone around me had a blast.

But that is not a rebuttal to someone that produces a clip from that show where Vince sounds spotty.  Did I notice it at the time?  Hell no.  The fans almost always drown out the singer anyway.  Did it detract from my good time?  Not even a little bit.

But you can say both.  You can say everyone in the building had a blast, but looking at the actual clips afterwards might show some weak spots.  Not a crime to hold both opinions simultaneously.

I'm against blatant, unrepentant denial as way to avoid saying what's what.  Poor way to go through life.  Unrealistic.

People at RIR 2011 probably had a blast.  But that is one shoddy performance from the band, if we are being honest.

mortismurphy
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »

But I will say this, I don't put too much importance or weight on peoples' opinion on live shows based on concert recordings on Youtube.

A concert is something you enjoy there and then. Not something you sit and analyze frame by frame and compare to how the songs sound on the records.

/jarmo

Even positive reviews, of clips from, say, 2006?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »

/jarmo

Even positive reviews, of clips from, say, 2006?

No, they are OK.

Cell phones from 8 years ago were far superior.  They tell you the story.

Ditto the soundboard stuff that show Axl killing it in 2006, versus the ones in 2011-12 that literally hurt the ears.  Obviously, technology downgraded over time.

mortismurphy
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »

Trade in your smart phones for an old Nokia which somehow, miraculously, transforms Axl's vocals into 2006 vintage. I think some of these modern phones also make Axl fluff lines.
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2014, 04:36:01 PM »

"But that is not a rebuttal to someone that produces a clip from that show where Vince sounds spotty.  Did I notice it at the time?  Hell no.  "

But that right there is my point.  Isn't the purpose of the concert to deliver that good time and not produce youtube clips to be scrutinized.  People seem to forget that during their critiques sometimes.  The performance is meant for the audience, not the folks at home or on the net.

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »

/jarmo

I negatively reviewed some shows I attended years ago and they were deleted.  Still never got an answer as to why they were deleted
mortismurphy
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »

"But that is not a rebuttal to someone that produces a clip from that show where Vince sounds spotty.  Did I notice it at the time?  Hell no.  "

But that right there is my point.  Isn't the purpose of the concert to deliver that good time and not produce youtube clips to be scrutinized.  People seem to forget that during their critiques sometimes.  The performance is meant for the audience, not the folks at home or on the net.

True, but it is essentially the same as bootlegs recorded on camcorders, except, now, everyone has access to the technology. For me, bootlegs fulfill an important purpose.
mortismurphy
« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2014, 05:13:02 PM »

/jarmo

I negatively reviewed some shows I attended years ago and they were deleted.  Still never got an answer as to why they were deleted

Don't you know? It is physically impossible for Axl to have a bad night. You must have been lying then, hence the deletion. Just goes to show how much better Guns N' Roses are, to other bands. I mean, The Stones, Metallica and basically, everybody else who has ever played live (except Guns N' Roses of course), all produce dreadful shows on occasions.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »

/jarmo

Don't you know? It is physically impossible for Axl to have a bad night. You must have been lying then, hence the deletion. Just goes to show how much better Guns N' Roses are, to other bands. I mean, The Stones, Metallica and basically, everybody else who has ever played live (except Guns N' Roses of course), all produce dreadful shows on occasions.

Asking rhetorically, isn't there already an abundance of this kind of negative sarcasm and snark aimed at the band in every other GNR forum and the mainstream media in general?  Aren't there already enough outlets for the criticism, be it objective or malicious?  Why does it need to be brought here, the one single place where GNR fans can come to focus primarily on what's positive about the band? 
mortismurphy
« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »

/jarmo

Asking rhetorically, isn't there already an abundance of this kind of negative sarcasm and snark aimed at the band in every other GNR forum and the mainstream media in general?  Aren't there already enough outlets for the criticism, be it objective or malicious?  Why does it need to be brought here, the one single place where GNR fans can come to focus primarily on what's positive about the band? 

Alright, alright, I was being slightly sarcastic but I was replying to a legitimate concern: why did the above poster have their reviews deleted?

But about what you say, I do not see how any forum can run on pure, 100%, positivity. It is, A/ completely impossible (that is, as a successful forum and not just, a place consisting of two-three people), B/ insanely boring and just a bit, Sesame Street and, C/ Not the real world - it is a 'la la land'. Go on any forum, of any other band, and you will see people saying ''that was a rubbish show'', ''that was a rubbish album'' and similar. It is not a big deal. The fact they found 'x' show rubbish does not reflect poorly on their fandom. They may then find 'y' show excellent. I mean, grow a backbone. How would you survive as a politician (where, negativity is, stock and trade)? A bit of criticism never hurt anyone. If you disagree, just move on.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:23:52 PM by mortismurphy » Logged
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »

I mean, grow a backbone.

Do you mean "grow a backbone" like don't kowtow down to a few who are in the minority thinking that someone should change the way they've been doing something successfully for the past 18 years?  Roll Eyes

A bit of criticism never hurt anyone. If you disagree, just move on.
No matter how many times we try to explain it to you, you just keep repeating the same negative/tired/boring/tedious argument over and over.

Physician heal thyself!!!  Follow your own advice and just move on!!!!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
mortismurphy
« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »

I make no illusions that this is not my type of place. I absolutely loath censorship and have a rather ironic 'British' sense of humour which, you would label, 'overtly negative' no doubt, and see as a sign of some moral or professional weakness on my part, but I would label as simply, 'pulling the piss'. To summarize: I am not a regular poster here so you do not have to worry, Sesame Street is saved. We all live in a land of daisies and violets and overwhelming positivity, in which no negativity may dwell. At the end of the day, if all the type of posting you desire is this,

''That was a good gig''

''That was certainly a good gig''

''Isn't Axl good''

''He is wonderful'.

''Cannot wait for the next bunch of Vegas gigs''

''Rad dude. Rawk on for the next bunch of Vegas gigs''

(repeated between two-three people)

then good luck with that. We obviously have completely different concepts of what it is to be a 'fan' but I am sure, these type of discussions will continue to provide you with a source of amusement, well into the future.

Now, back to the real world.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:35:40 PM by mortismurphy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: