Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:02:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?  (Read 50100 times)
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« on: November 20, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »

I've been in the GN'R community for 13 years.

Most of that time, a large contingent of fans were like: "Reunion or bust." "If Axl wants to play the old songs, call Slash." etc. And now, that might be happening and those same people are like "Why do it? It'd just be a nostalgia fest!" "It isn't proper if it Fortus and Frank are involved". Like...Is Fortus/Frank any different, really, than Gilby/Sorum?

If Axl, Duff and Slash reunite, is it their fault that Steven's an unreliable drug addict and Izzy's a flake who can't be depended on? Should a reunion really shut down and go kaput cause two guys can't be relied on?

When Buckethead and Robin were in the band, they got immense hate from large portions of the fanbase...Now those same people who HATED them, now are like "I wish they were back"...The minute they walked out the door they suddenly liked them. Same with Bumblefoot. When CD was delayed, a loud contingent claimed CD "didn't exist" and that the 3-4 songs Axl was playing live were all he had...I remember this. Now, those same people are saying CD2 "doesn't exist" and that it's just song titles in Axl's head...Like, really?

There seems to be a portion of the GN'R fanbase that enjoys being disappointed - enjoys being able to complain about something. I mean all I heard for so long was reunion, reunion, reunion and now, maybe that's happening and they're poking holes in it.

When is enough enough? When can people just be satisfied? W
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:03:05 AM »

I am surprised on the level of pushback on this possible reunion.

Its still a very, very small fraction.  But I figured it would be near non-existent. 

I assumed if hell froze over and it happened, the only opposition would be a bunch of a took cool for the room contrarians saying things like AFD is overrated crap and CD was unadulterated brilliance.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:26:22 AM »

I am surprised on the level of pushback on this possible reunion.

Its still a very, very small fraction.  But I figured it would be near non-existent. 

I assumed if hell froze over and it happened, the only opposition would be a bunch of a took cool for the room contrarians saying things like AFD is overrated crap and CD was unadulterated brilliance.

What do you think is the reason for it?

I feel like the same people who are pushing back against this possible reunion, are the same exact people who will crucify Axl if it doesn't happen.

I mean, was "REUNION OR RETIRE" not the rallying cry of a large portion of the fanbase since around 2011? And now, when confronted with just what they asked for, they're finding flaw...It makes no sense to me. The people who love the UYI tour lineup somehow finding flaw with Fortus/Frank is also maddening.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »

I personally cringed at the sight and sound of GN?R when they re-emerged at the VMA?s.
Never really considered it to truly be GN?R, since it?s overhaul was so drastic, but that didn?t lessen my enthusiasm over the prospect of new Axl Rose material.

I thought Chinese Democracy had it?s moments, but it?s a CD I rarely revisit.
The music that Frank and Fortus contributed to didn?t do much for me, so yes, in that sense, it?s very different to the Sorum, and to a lesser extent, Gilby?s situation.

Granted Adler had a hand in the creation of the Illusion material, but Sorum added his stamp as well.
Gilby didn?t contibute to the creative process, but he was on Spaghetti Incident, which I love, and he was a part of the incredible UYI tour.
Dig his Wild Horses jam etc.

Robin?s playing was disappointing when I saw him live, though I did appreciate his energy.
I didn?t bat an eye when he left, and honestly, I don?t remember much love for him period, outside of a couple posters until after he left.

I don?t miss any of the many players that have left since Duff.

As for the potential hybrid reunion, I think it?s still exciting, especially in comparison to the past 20 years, but that?s a very low bar to me.
I always assumed if there was a reunion, and everyone was still breathing, that it would be a true reunion. That?s obviously on me.
Izzy was a huge reason I was a fan of the band in the first place. They fell apart when he left, so it?s a bit comical to me they?d ?reunite? without him. But obviously there was magic between Axl and Slash like we have seldom seen before, and certainly not since, so that in itself would be worth the price of admission. Just not quite the happy ending that life doesn?t owe me.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 10:51:12 AM »

I personally cringed at the sight and sound of GN?R when they re-emerged at the VMA?s.

I love 'd it.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 10:59:33 AM »

I feel like the same people who are pushing back against this possible reunion, are the same exact people who will crucify Axl if it doesn't happen.

I mean, was "REUNION OR RETIRE" not the rallying cry of a large portion of the fanbase since around 2011? And now, when confronted with just what they asked for, they're finding flaw...It makes no sense to me. The people who love the UYI tour lineup somehow finding flaw with Fortus/Frank is also maddening.

I have a theory and I'll tell you how it goes.

Some people got so pissed at Axl, they insisted on the original band only.  They were so disgusted with what he did, the only thing they would accept was the pure, uncut, 200 proof version of GNR - the 5 guys on AFD.  You started to see this with people all of the sudden saying things like GNR stopped being GNR after Adler left.  Or after Izzy left.

Nevermind the fact that not one of these people likely expressed this at the time.  The UYI albums selling like hotcakes and a wildly successful 28 month world tour to support it rather refute the premise people were not considering it GNR anymore.

And I think that took a hold of some folks.  So when they hear "reunion", they want those 5 guys and nothing but.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 11:06:59 AM »

some people felt metallica sold out when they made a musicvideo, I think it was One.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »

I love 'd it.

I liked the sound of it, madagascar especially, but seing Axl out of breath felt? awkward. Also, Im not saying that looks are that important, but Buckethead and Robin's look at the time reminded me of bands I didnt like, so I was distrustful.

The experience was bitter-sweet.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 11:12:52 AM »

Why would some people constantly whine?
Could be many reasons. It's their idea of fun. It's how they are etc etc.

Do you think they'd be happy if the AFD5 played a show and the setlist was similar to say 1988? "It's the same setlist that I saw on Youtube!".  rofl

Edited to add: This is only a mall fraction of all fans. That's why when somebody talks about fans as one group, it's a bit misleading. Yes, we all are supposed to like the same band, but even that it sometimes questionable when reading what this kind of fans post....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:17:16 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »

There's also a small portion of the fanbase that are Axl nutswingers. They always support Axl no matter what, when new players come they support them, but when they leave they throw stones at them. Those nutswingers are usually against a reunion before its confirmed, if it is confirmed, its Axl decision, so its ok.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »

There's also a small portion of the fanbase that are Axl nutswingers.

This whole terminology is like we're back in school.
Just because somebody is loyal and/or supportive, doesn't make him/her a so called nutswinger. Or even ass kisser for that matter.

I've been called both, and more. Whatever label you wanna use, don't care. I just find it silly. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 11:23:59 AM »

I liked the sound of it, madagascar especially, but seing Axl out of breath felt? awkward. Also, Im not saying that looks are that important, but Buckethead and Robin's look at the time reminded me of bands I didnt like, so I was distrustful.

The experience was bitter-sweet.

Yeah, its was a really weird mix of feelings, I agree.

The good : GNR was back and they were given the closing slot

The bad : Axl sounded horrendous and the overall look of the new band immediately turned people off

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »

I have a theory and I'll tell you how it goes.

Some people got so pissed at Axl, they insisted on the original band only.  They were so disgusted with what he did, the only thing they would accept was the pure, uncut, 200 proof version of GNR - the 5 guys on AFD.  You started to see this with people all of the sudden saying things like GNR stopped being GNR after Adler left.  Or after Izzy left.

Nevermind the fact that not one of these people likely expressed this at the time.  The UYI albums selling like hotcakes and a wildly successful 28 month world tour to support it rather refute the premise people were not considering it GNR anymore.

And I think that took a hold of some folks.  So when they hear "reunion", they want those 5 guys and nothing but.

GN?R was obviously very successful without Adler and Izzy, but they haven?t put out an impactful album those two didn?t contribute to.
Sure the train kept rolling for a bit, and people looked the other way that integral members were slowly falling by the wayside.
But when it finally did go to shit, it was fairly easy to retrace their steps and see where things went wrong.

If Axl shits in a hat today, and stamps Guns N? Roses on it, people will bid on it.
But that is due to the impact GN'R made long ago. Success achieved through the chemistry and contributions of 5 bandmates, not named Frank or Richard.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »

There's also a small portion of the fanbase that are Axl nutswingers. They always support Axl no matter what, when new players come they support them, but when they leave they throw stones at them. Those nutswingers are usually against a reunion before its confirmed, if it is confirmed, its Axl decision, so its ok.

With that crowd, never is heard a discouraging word when it comes to Axl.

If he told them one thing one day, and literally went 180 degrees a week later, you would likely find as strong support for the reversal as you did for the initial announcement just 7 years earlier.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

There's also a small portion of the fanbase that are Axl nutswingers.

This whole terminology is like we're back in school.
Just because somebody is loyal and/or supportive, doesn't make him/her a so called nutswinger. Or even ass kisser for that matter.

I've been called both, and more. Whatever label you wanna use, don't care. I just find it silly. Smiley

/jarmo

Ive never said you where one of them. From what Ive seen, which is not that much, you seem to have respect for players that left.
I also think there's a difference between loyal/supporter and a nutswinger. It may be juvenile, but I say it because I think the word in itself is funny.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:28:13 AM by Wooody » Logged

dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »

At this point I don't think the fanbase can be satisfied. Too much time has passed too much has been wasted. and I'm talking about the vast majority of fans which are of the classic GNR. The mainstream.

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »

At this point I don't think the fanbase can be satisfied. Too much time has passed too much has been wasted. and I'm talking about the vast majority of fans which are of the classic GNR. The mainstream.

Correct.  This rumored reunion won't make everyone happy, because nothing ever does.

But its going to make a shitload more people happy than anything else he's done in the past 15 years.  On just the raw numbers, this will be a success.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »

Correct.  This rumored reunion won't make everyone happy, because nothing ever does.

But its going to make a shitload more people happy than anything else he's done in the past 15 years.  On just the raw numbers, this will be a success.

I have a question, do you think it will please the mainstream mass to see a reunion, if there's no album?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 11:52:50 AM »

I have a question, do you think it will please the mainstream mass to see a reunion, if there's no album?

Yes, I do. 

Because more people will attend shows all across the country than are clamoring for a new album.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »

Ive never said you where one of them. From what Ive seen, which is not that much, you seem to have respect for players that left.
I also think there's a difference between loyal/supporter and a nutswinger. It may be juvenile, but I say it because I think the word in itself is funny.

I know. I'm just speaking as a person who's been called all kinds of names by people who think I give a fuck. Smiley

The ironic thing about the term is that when people use it as an attack, and you question whether or not they're really fans, they get upset...

/jarmo

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: