Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 06:48:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 188989 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1160 on: November 30, 2012, 03:54:28 AM »

Should be interesting to see where we go with catcher now that Martin went to Pittsburgh. He was a good defensive catcher but he couldn't hit the last two seasons to save his life. Perhaps time to give Romine a shot.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1161 on: November 30, 2012, 03:56:16 AM »

Sources reporting David Wright has signed an extension with the Mets through 2020 for just under $140 million.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1162 on: November 30, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »

Sources reporting David Wright has signed an extension with the Mets through 2020 for just under $140 million.

Just saw that, but apparently won't be final until next week since it's pending a physical and Wright is in Florida now for a teammate's wedding this weekend.  Anyway, good for him, he did rather well for himself considering he didn't even test the market, though I doubt he would have gotten much more than 7 years, $122M next year as a 31 yr. old. 
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1163 on: November 30, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »

John Morosi's reporting Rivera deal at 10 mil plus bonuses.

If I'm Cashman I'd hold the door open and wish Martin good luck if the Pirates are gonna give him 3 years...

Bonuses for Mo push the contract up to close to 15.  That was the "confusion".

Pirates didn't give him 3, but gave him 8.5 per over 2..and the Yanks aren't interested in matching that number due to their commitment to be under the 189 mill mark in 2014.

I'm guessing either the yanks will trade for someone (either a young MLB ready catcher...like, you know, the guy they traded for Pinaeda OR an established (read aging) vet someone wants to unload and will pick up some of their salary) or promote Romine/Cervelli (and then check the trade market in July).

You should see more position player deals for the Yanks start cropping up.  I've heard the Ichiro deal will be done shortly, too.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1164 on: November 30, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »

Reading on twitter tha AJ Pierzynski could be an option for the Yanks at C. Possibly a 1 year deal for around 10 million. Pure speculation of course.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1165 on: November 30, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »

I would really like to see Romine get his shot.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1166 on: November 30, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »

Rosenthal reports Rivera bonus breakdown as follows:

"Rivera contract with #Yankees: One year: $10M plus following incentives. $500K for LCS/MVP, $1M for WS/MVP, $1M for winning Rolaids award."

Looks like a good deal for all involved.

I think the Yanks will go aging vet for catching help, somebody who's cost effective who can bridge the gap to their young guy(s).  Funny you mention the guy they traded for Pinaeda, I heard a Yank fan caller going nuts about that today on MLB Radio, I think It was Bowden who finally shut him up with something like "They traded a DH, 1B - not an everyday MLB catcher - he makes Mike Napoli look like a Gold Glover!"

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1167 on: November 30, 2012, 07:18:45 PM »

Should be interesting to see where we go with catcher now that Martin went to Pittsburgh. He was a good defensive catcher but he couldn't hit the last two seasons to save his life. Perhaps time to give Romine a shot.

The Blue Jays have a catcher to deal.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1168 on: November 30, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »

"Rivera contract with #Yankees: One year: $10M plus following incentives. $500K for LCS/MVP, $1M for WS/MVP, $1M for winning Rolaids award."

I think the Yanks will go aging vet for catching help, somebody who's cost effective who can bridge the gap to their young guy(s).  Funny you mention the guy they traded for Pinaeda, I heard a Yank fan caller going nuts about that today on MLB Radio, I think It was Bowden who finally shut him up with something like "They traded a DH, 1B - not an everyday MLB catcher - he makes Mike Napoli look like a Gold Glover!"

He's won the Rolaids award before if i remember correctly, being the mvp of the LCS and WS will be difficult if they can't find a way to hit the ball come postseason.

I can see them doing that if they think Romine isn't ready. There's another guy in A ball they are really high on too. They think he could be better then Romine. Obviously though he's nowhere near MLB ready.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1169 on: December 03, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »

Rosenthal is missing, from what I was told, 2 others...one of which was based on # of saves in 2013 (can't remember the number...it was in the 30s).  Can't remember what the other one was.  Maybe signing bonus?  Not sure. I'd ask, but I'm out of here for 2 weeks on Wednesday. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:45:28 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1170 on: December 03, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »

Napoli to Red So, 3 yrs 39 million.

Yikes.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1171 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »

Arod out til at least June. Torn hip labrum repair in Jan.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1172 on: December 03, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »

Yikes.

And apparently they learned nothing from previous bad contracts they shed during the season. He's a good catcher but not worth that i don't think.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:30:38 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1173 on: December 03, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »

Yikes.

And apparently they learned nothing from previous bad contracts they shed during the season. He's a good catcher but not worth that i don't think.

Apparently he's going to be their primary 1B while "catching 30-40" games which makes a lil more sense with the overpay.

Speaking of overpays, the Giants just went 40 million over 4 years for Angel Pagan.

Yes, you read correct - Angel Pagan.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1174 on: December 03, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »

Yikes.

Apparently he's going to be their primary 1B while "catching 30-40" games which makes a lil more sense with the overpay.

Speaking of overpays, the Giants just went 40 million over 4 years for Angel Pagan.

Yes, you read correct - Angel Pagan.

That is certainly jaw dropping.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1175 on: December 04, 2012, 12:46:54 AM »

Yikes.

They can afford to overpay in the short term.  It's those long term 7 year deals that kill teams.  Yes, they did overpay, but it's hardly a deal that will hamper them from making other moves.  Now if they go out and give Hamilton a mega 7 year deal, I would agree with you.  But I wouldn't call Napoli's deal a bad contract.  They needed a guy to play 1B and a guy with power.  He fills both those roles, plus he's a good OBP guy, which is something they've gotten away from the last few years.  Now they still need help in the OF (Ross, Swisher?), a SS (Drew), and some pitching.  The pitching is obviously the toughest thing to get, and I don't see how they improve all that much next year because there's not much out there.  They do have 3 catchers, 4 with Napoli, so they will probably look to deal one of them, Salty most likely.  Not sure what they could get in return though. 

Napoli was actually #1 on my personal wish list this off-season, so I like the deal.  Of course if it turns out to be a bad deal, I won't have much to complain about.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:49:45 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1176 on: December 04, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »

I would probably tell the Sox to avoid Swisher because of his postseason history but i don't know the likelihood of the sox making it that far the next few seasons anyway.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1177 on: December 04, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »

Dan Haren to the Nats. 1 year deal worth 13 million.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1178 on: December 04, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »

If this is true, the Red Sox have gone batshit crazy (well, more than usual)..

They're the frontrunners for Shane Victorino, 3 yrs at 38 mil.

I'm down with overpaying on the short term but this is just goofy.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1179 on: December 04, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »

If this is true, the Red Sox have gone batshit crazy (well, more than usual)..

They're the frontrunners for Shane Victorino, 3 yrs at 38 mil.

I'm down with overpaying on the short term but this is just goofy.

I guess their new philosophy is over spend short term instead of long term
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: