Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:32:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Tragically Hip
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tragically Hip  (Read 8569 times)
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: November 17, 2005, 07:12:12 AM »

you know and love em  deal with it
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 09:36:26 AM »

Actually I have never been much of a fan of them, (I haven't really liked anything since "Looking for a Place to Happen" ) but they certainly have the Majority of Canadians as fans ok (just not this one)

But, then again, folk music isn't really my thing

ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 10:48:48 AM »

...folk music?
I don't really see how The Hip sound like Simon & Garfunkle or old Bob Dylan or Jonie Mitchell...

I am with the majority of Canada I guess, because I love the Tragically Hip. I think its cool they never really made it big outside of Canada, makes them more special to everyone here I guess. Plus lyrical references to CBC and former Prime Ministers probably wouldn't go over so well with an American audience...

If any of you have never heard the band, I really suggest downloading a few songs to see what you're missing.
Courage, Nautical Disaster, Twist My Arm, Ahead By A Century are all great songs to start off with.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 10:51:06 AM »

Ya The Hip are sweet..Seen them twice but never in there own concert..Got some great tunes though like Blow At High Dough,Poets,New Orleans and there last few albums have been really good to

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »

...folk music?
I don't really see how The Hip sound like Simon & Garfunkle or old Bob Dylan or Jonie Mitchell...

You don't? Roll Eyes Oh well....... Tongue

Evolution
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »

I downloaded "Wheat Kings". Sounded good to me. Any other songs i should know about?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 03:49:03 PM »

I own all the albums up until In Violet Light... I did like the Vaccinatin Scar single, but I never got around to picking up that album.

I've seen them live twice, once at the ACC, once at the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto... My favourite song is probably Nautical Disaster.  Fifty Mission Cap is another favourite, but I'm a Leafs fan  Tongue   Oh, and Fireworks ("You said you didn't give a fuck about hockey, well I never saw someone say THAT before!")

Which album do you guys like best?
GNFNRS
Bush-lover
Rocker

Yes, evil does have it's honest side and it's called Slash

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 05:57:57 PM »

I love the Hip.  Anyone get the Box set yet?  I am getting it for Xmas.  I love all of their cds except the first one.  I thought In Between Evolution was their best since Day For Night.

We're just jerk-offs like everybody else
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 10:45:44 AM »

The Tragically Hip has finally let the world in on the title of the group's forthcoming album and their new single.

Gord Downie and Co. have decided on "World Container" as the follow-up to 2004's studio effort "In Between Evolution."

The album is set to arrive in Canadian stores on Oct. 17, while the first single, "In View," will hit Canadian radio on Tuesday.

However, you can listen to "In View" on the band's official website right now.

"World Container" was produced by Bob Rock, whose extensive credits include Metallica, Bon Jovi, The Cult, Bryan Adams, Simple Plan and The Tea Party.

More details of the release as well as tour plans are expected in the coming weeks. The Hip has one Canadian tour date on their schedule, at the Ovation Music Festival in Stratford, ON on Sept. 9.

The band road-tested some of the new material during their recent live dates. Some of the new tracks that were performed and which are expected to appear on the disc include "Pretend," "Fly," "The Drop Off," "Ocean" and "The Lonely End Of The Rink."

Danny Top Hat
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 12:52:48 PM »

I'm just listening to some tracks now and like what i'm hearing.  They do sound like Dylan, but in a good way (no crappy violins).  They sound very cool! ok
Redrocket16
Opening Act

Slash is rock and Roll

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 01:47:28 PM »

one word... BOBCAYGEON
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 10:48:22 AM »

Phoenix Concert Theatre, Toronto - October 22, 2006

New material highlighted? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
By JANE STEVENSON -- Toronto Sun
? ?

A veteran group playing new material in concert is always a dodgy proposition.

Never mind the entire album.

But you?d think notoriously devoted Tragically Hip fans would have gotten on board as their beloved band played the first of four soldout shows last night at the Phoenix in suppport of their barely weekold new disc, World Container.

Instead, the Canrock veterans, who hail from Kingston had to work hard to win over the 1,000 or so gathered in the intimate setting almost every time they brought out a new tune.

So for every barnburning old favourite like 50 Mission Cap, Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin? Man, Nautical Disaster, Ahead By A Century, Wheat Kings, and Blow At High Dough ? which all prompted enthusiastic singalongs ? there was uncharacteristic stillness during many of the new songs.

Notable exceptions proved to be the concert-opening The Lonely End Of The Rink, the new album?s poppy first single, In View, Luv (Sic), Fly, Yer Not The Ocean, and Family Band, all driven by Rob Baker?s distinctive guitar playing and Gord Downie?s wailing vocals.

And some quieter, more reflective tunes like Bobcaygeon, the title track from World Container and the new tune Pretend, all deserved and got a more reserved response.

As usual, Downie proved to be a twitching, feverish frontman in head-totoe black, save for a red handkerchief which he waved behind him like a rooster?s tail or beside him like a matador?s cape.

By the end of the group?s hour-and-50-minute set, Downie was a sweaty, happy madman who praised ?music lovers? for turning up.

Before the band, rounded out by drummer Johnny Fay, rhythm guitarist Paul Langlois and bassist Gord Sinclair, even took the stage fans were chanting, ?Hip! Hip! Hip!? And upstairs on the catwalk it was a who?s who of sports personalities with Dave Hodge (TSN), Martine Gaillard (Rogers Sportsnet) and Kathryn Humphreys (City TV) all showing their appreciation

The Hip play at the Phoenix tonight, Wednesday and Thursday nights before heading west to play four nights each in Calgary and Vancouver, and then head back for two more nights in Montreal.

The band is expected to launch a cross-Canada arena tour early next year and hopefully by that time, fans will be well-acquainted with World Container, a slight departure in sound with both slicker and poppier tunes produced by Bob Rock.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »

The Tragically Hip have announced dates for their upcoming two-month Canadian winter tour.

In an email message to fans, the group revealed they will play 19 dates in January and February on a tour that is moving from west to east.

Tickets for all shows go on sale on October 27 and October 28. A special presale for registered users at thehip.com will be able to get first crack at the best seats in the house starting tomorrow (Oct. 24).

The tour is in support of the band's latest album, "World Container."

The band are currently gearing up for the bigger tour with intimate club dates in select cities across the country.

Here are the '07 dates:

January 8th -- Save On Foods Memorial Centre, Victoria, BC
January 10th -- Interior Savings Centre, Kamloops, BC
January 12th -- CN Centre, Prince George, BC
January 13th -- Canada Games Arena, Grande Prairie, AB
January 14th -- Rexall Place, Edmonton, AB
January 16th -- Enmax Centrium, Red Deer, AB
January 17th -- Enmax Centre, Lethbridge, AB
January 19th -- Brandt Centre At Ipsco Place, Regina, Saskatchewan
January 20th -- Mts Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba
January 22nd -- Fort Williams Gardens, Thunder Bay, ON
January 23rd -- Steelback Centre, Sault St. Marie, ON
January 25th -- Barrie Molson Centre, Barrie, ON
January 27th -- Sudbury Arena, Sudbury, ON
January 29th -- Memorial Centre, Peterborough, ON
January 31st -- General Motors Centre, Oshawa, ON
February 2nd -- Scotiabank Place, Ottawa, ON
February 5th -- John Labatt Centre, London, ON
February 6th -- Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON
February 8th -- Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 11:01:07 AM »

never heard of them.

html sucks
J.J. Cook
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 06:54:26 PM »

Maybe the majority of Canadians like them but I bet the majority of Canadian teens don't I betcha. No one I know likes them. Some people might not even have heard of them.

I hate fanboys.
Fspen
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 01:53:15 AM »

I know I'll be seeing them in January!  The Hip rock!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 02:44:36 AM »

Maybe the majority of Canadians like them but I bet the majority of Canadian teens don't I betcha. No one I know likes them. Some people might not even have heard of them.

I was probably part of the last group of teenagers to like the Hip... I think they are for the 21+ crowd now.  So what?  The music taste of Canadian teens is getting to be as bad as American teens...  At least there is a handful of them that like Guns N' Roses.

I am strapped for cash after getting tickets to GN'R at the Scotiabank Place, but maybe by the time February rolls around I can get some last-minute Hip tickets.  It's been awhile since I've listened to - or seen them.  I think I'll rip some CDs to my iPod right now actually...
Bono
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 12:38:23 AM »

I never really got the Hip when I was younger but recently I've really gotten into them. Songs like Wheat Kings,  Fiddler's Green, Courage, Trickle Down, Escape is at the hand for the travelin man, So Hard Done by, etc. etc are truely classic songs. they are a great band and in my opinion the are Canada's greatest band of all time. I'm not saying they're my favorite Canadian band ever(that would be Moist) but I'll admit I think the Tragically Hip have accomplished enough and have a strong enough catelogue to warrent the title of best Canadian band ever. I don't know how to explain it but there is somthing aslo very distinctly Canadian about their sound. Their new album is also pretty good. I'm gonna go see them in January.

I agree with Eazy E thought hat they may bemore of a 21+ kinda band. Too band since they kick the shit outta bands like Sum 41, Simple Plan, Billy Talent, Nickleback, default, Theory of a Deadman among others which are considerd Canada's gifts to rock music these days. make me sick. rant
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 10:59:27 PM »

I dont know if id say there for the 21+ group considering me and about 15 buddies camped outside the Memorial centre in Ptbo last night to gert tickets for them and were only 16-17

Fspen
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 02:19:39 PM »

I dont know if id say there for the 21+ group considering me and about 15 buddies camped outside the Memorial centre in Ptbo last night to gert tickets for them and were only 16-17

Holy smokes, you camped outside the arena boxoffice for tickets?  That's crazy, but I hope you got some good seats.

I guess I'm lucky to be at school in Lethbridge, shit... my internet wasn't working a half hour before tickets went on sale so I jogged to school.  Then at campus, the online ticket center wouldn't let me verify my credit card for some reason or another.  So then I walked home.  There, someone's on the F'n phone and by the time I able to call the boxoffice I figured I'd be stuck with seats waaay at the back... however, t'was not the case.  Snagged a floor seat, row 3, about an hour after they went on sale.   ok
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: