Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:05:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Slash solo's on Estranged
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash solo's on Estranged  (Read 3511 times)
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: October 15, 2004, 01:57:06 PM »

My favorite Slash solos are the ones on Estranged. I know how to play the solos but I can't get my notes to sustain so much. I have used the reverb and delay on my RP-100 effects processor but I can't quite get the exact sound yet. I was hoping somebody could give me some advice.
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 09:22:30 PM »

That is the sound of a Les Paul into a cranked Marshall tube halfstack. Unless you have one of those and can turn the master volume up loud, you're not gonna get that kind of sustain and compression.
Mr. Madagascar
Headliner

"Hope to see you soon boys and girls", Axl Rio 01-15-01

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 07:27:17 AM »

That is the sound of a Les Paul into a cranked Marshall tube halfstack. Unless you have one of those and can turn the master volume up loud, you're not gonna get that kind of sustain and compression.

Can you tell me some name or a serial number on this marshall halfstack your talkin about, because i want to buy one for sure. I?ve always trying to get that sound with the long feedback.

08/19/91 Copenhagen, Denmark
06/08/93 Gentofte Stadion, Denmark
08/24/02 Pukkelpop,Belgium
08/26/02 London Arena,England
05/12-14-15-17/06 Hammerstein, New York
06/29/06 Roskilde Festival, Denmark
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 11:20:02 AM »

Can you tell me some name or a serial number on this marshall halfstack your talkin about, because i want to buy one for sure. I?ve always trying to get that sound with the long feedback.

I use the same one Slash does, a Marshall 2555. Warning: it's really loud! I run it into a Marshall 1960 "bottom" cab with Vintage 30s. You can get the head used for about $1000 if you get the non-silver one. In addition you have to find the right spot to stand near the cab to get controlled feedback. It takes a little time to figure out the right spots, but it's awesome once you do. One more thing, you can get that kind of controlled feedback with a lot of tube amps... you may want to get one that's less than 100w because it may be too loud. Anything over 20w on a tube amp is loud enough to play with most rock drummers unless they are pounding the crap out of the drums like John Bonham or Dave Grohl.
Boozer
Opening Act

Thou Shalt not Spileth Thy Beer

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 02:46:54 PM »

I think he's using the neck pickup with the tone knob rolled backwards down to 6. I played along the record today and I got a little bit closer that sound with my jcm dsl 2000 without using any fuckin' effects because I think they eat my sound like a swarm rats. Go straight in to the amp man. If you ask me it doesn't matter if you have alnicos or not. You can't get the sound that's on the record. Listen & see the live recordings.

VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 01:56:23 AM »

yeah, the equipment is pretty important (not necessarily to have the same rig as slash's but to be able to find a similar tone).  however, alot of what you hear is mainly slash's style of playing.  like boozer said, watch some live recordings and pay attention to his fingers.  if you can recognize how he bends and frets each note that you're trying to recreate, that will help.  also slash uses vibrato very extensively.  that will give your sound more soul and sustain if you dont practice this already.

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 03:52:47 AM »

RP-100 effects processor
Get rid of that thing and get a tube amp. You can get some good brands like Traynor for under $600. Effects processors just kill your tone. period. Tongue

Fuck 'Em All.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 10:43:27 AM »

Turning the mids up a bit may help...
pewing33ny
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 02:10:31 AM »

turn up the preamp gain to get more compression.  honestly the jubilee is nice but the prices are relatively high, you could get any used tube marshall (not valvestate)  for much cheaper.

also any decent guitar will get enough sustain if you know how to play it.

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 10:41:16 AM »

I can play estranged with full sustain with my ibanez guitar and a cheap mashall combo (not valvular).

With more volume you will do it  hihi

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: