Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:32:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The GN'R vs Nirvana thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The GN'R vs Nirvana thread  (Read 66133 times)
5thofwhiskey
Rocker

Estranged............The Guns n' Roses Story

« on: April 05, 2004, 02:22:04 PM »

Today when I got on the internet I was presented with a remembrance of the late Kurt Cobain. I guess it has been 10 years since Kurt was found on April 5, 1994. Spin magazine has also come out with their latest addition dedicated to Kurt and Nirvana. Funny to read Spin because it talks about what Kurt might have done if he had stayed around.

Made me think of what Axl is doing now.

It is funny how both bands kind of ended in 1994. Now both have about the same number of albums in catalog. With many similarities worthy of mention:

Guns N? Roses                   Nirvana

Appetite for Destruction  (#1)   -Debut Album-      Bleach (#89)
Use Your Illusion 1 (#2)      -Released 1991-      Nevermind (#1)
Use Your Illusion 2 (#1)      -Second big Release-   In Utero (#1)
The Spaghetti Incident (#4)   -Covers Album-      Insecticide (#39)
Lies (#2)         -Acoustic/Live-      MTV Unplugged (#1)
LiveERA 87-93 (#42)      -Live album-      From the Muddy Banks (#1)
Greatest Hits (#3)         -Greatest Hits      Nirvana (#3)

Both Greatest Hits have 14 Tracks:

1. You Know Your Right         1. Welcome to the Jungle      
2. About a Girl               2. Sweet Child O? Mine            
3. Been a Son               3. Patience
4. Sliver               4. Paradise City
5. Smells Like Teen Spirit         5. Knockin? on Heaven Door
6. Come as You Are            6. Civil War
7. Lithium               7. You Could Be Mine
8. In Bloom               8. Don?t Cry
9. Heart Shaped Box            9. November Rain
10. Pennyroyal Tea            10. Live and Let Die
11. Rape Me               11. Yesterdays
12. Dumb               12. Ain?t It Fun
13. All Apologies            13. Since I Don?t Have You
14. The Man Who Sold the World         14. Sympathy for the Devil

Axl vs. Kurt

Then again some would say there is no competition here. I have always wondered whether a line was drawn in the sand back in 1992.

Whatever the game is Huh?.it is still interesting to absorb the above information.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 06:50:27 AM »

The similarities are interesting

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 02:18:07 PM »

The similarities are interesting

Yes, they are but they must be jus coincidences

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 06:43:01 PM »

There is one great difference: Axl is a fuckin genius and a guy that loved every minute of his life,while Kurt was a mediocre musician having a really hard time on this planet.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 06:19:05 AM »

There is one great difference: Axl is a fuckin genius and a guy that loved every minute of his life,while Kurt was a mediocre musician having a really hard time on this planet.

Not to be rude but do u know any of axl's history? He was abused as a child, mentally, physically and emotionally, he had a rough time with the police as a teenager. I wouldn't call that loving every minute of his life no

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 05:56:34 PM »

Not to be rude but do u know any of axl's history? He was abused as a child, mentally, physically and emotionally, he had a rough time with the police as a teenager. I wouldn't call that loving every minute of his life no

Sorry,I meant to say that he enjoyed every miute of fame,of life at the top:parties,women,stuff like that. While Kurt was killed by fame.He couldn't handle the pressure

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 06:40:38 AM »

Yeah i agree pretty much, axl had the power to take advantage of almost anything in his life.

Sorry,I meant to say that he enjoyed every miute of fame,of life at the top:parties,women,stuff like that. While Kurt was killed by fame.He couldn't handle the pressure

Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 08:44:30 AM »

It's interesting about the albums!  beer

I think both are cool guys!

Kurt kick started Grunge! Axl wrote SCOM N' Nov.Rain!

Just imagine though rock without either of these guys!

Jeeeeeeeez No SCOM!  nervous OMG!  confused

We're lucky aren't we!

{What about my beloved Sex Pistols!!!!!! Noooooo!!!}

SLASH- "Guitar solos are back," he said with a grin through his long, curly mane.
GNR- The hardworking band that once called themselves FAMILY!!!
neuby87
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 01:01:08 AM »

Okay I'm wonderin if anyone can tell me just what the hell happened between Guns N' Roses and Kurt Cobain i always here different side and i wanna know every detail if someone could inform me plz!
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 01:22:03 AM »

Axl Roses  confused confused confused

Hey, just take a look around... in Dead Horse section you can find it...

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 01:24:46 AM »

Hey, at least he didn't say Axel Roses.    hihi

That one is really annoying.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 08:22:15 AM »

Hey, at least he didn't say Axel Roses.    hihi

That one is really annoying.

Lol rofl

That really pisses me off too

neuby87
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 03:18:03 PM »

alright ppl i meant axl rose i did it on accident s back the fuck off! bigger fan hte any of u
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 03:40:26 PM »

alright ppl i meant axl rose i did it on accident s back the fuck off! bigger fan hte any of u

Settle down Beavis, as said above, look for your answers in the "Dead Horse" section, plenty of info there..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 04:16:29 PM »

Kurt wanted to suck Axl's penis, but Axl don't let him do it, SO, Kurt get pissed off and go out saying a lot of shit about axl and guns n' roses...

matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 07:25:00 AM »

Kurt wanted to suck Axl's penis, but Axl don't let him do it, SO, Kurt get pissed off and go out saying a lot of shit about axl and guns n' roses...

Really.........i thought it was a bit different than that Grin

Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 12:36:15 PM »

Hey, just take a look around... in Dead Horse section you can find it...

I just went trough all 13 pages here the only thing i could find was this: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=11599

But that's not what he wanted to know...

So I did a search on "kurt" and couldn't find any topic explaining his question!

Prove me wrong please, cuz I wanna know the story 2!!

Like peeing clouds!
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 04:37:10 PM »

I wont go into details but it was basically Cobain slamming GNR on da press and turned down GNR offer to tour with them. Axl got pissed and in the MTV awards the bitch told Axl as a joke to be the godfather of his son and Axl told Cobain to shut the bitch up or he would beat him up or whatever.
JamieG
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 07:46:56 PM »

This started in the VR forum, because they played one of Nirvana songs at the their show, but I think it belongs in this forum.

My question is what is your opinion on Nirvana and Kurt Cobain and how could the remaining members of GNR ever play a Nirvana song?

For those who may not know....Nirvana absolutely hated Guns N' Roses. They used to mock them all the time.

Kurt Cobain hated everything Guns N' Roses stood for. He was once asked if there was anything he liked about GNR and he said "You know, I can't think of a damn thing". He said they were talentless and were homophobic, racist and sexist and it disgusted him.

There were also incidents between them at the MTV awards where they told stories about how Axl and Duff were threatening to beat them up backstage and they were running around with their (Duff) security guys trying find them (Nirvana) so they could beat them up....but they way it was told, they were totally mocking them.

And finally just to get the point across of how deeply the hatred ran, Kurt Cobain told a story about how they were playing at a benefit show to fight against Homophobia and they started mockingly to play Sweet Child...and a kid jumped up on stage and pleaded with him to stop, saying that both GNR and Nirvana were great and Cobain told him "Sorry, but you can't possibly be on their side and be on our side too".

So in light of all that, how could any member of GNR from back then now play Nirvana music?

And what is your thoughts on what they (Cobain mostly) said? Any truth to it?

Personally I think he was right with what he said about the social issue stuff (it's pretty hard to argue that GNR weren't homophobic or sexist...but some people here probably like that GNR were that way) but I obviously think he was wrong about them being talentless...I don't know how anyone could call anybody that is responsible for the song Estranged, "talentless".
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 08:10:08 PM »

Your forgetting the fact that Duff and Kurt Cobain hung out on a plane together in 1994, in the weeks before his death.  They happenned to be on the same flight to Seattle, got talking and realised that they had mutual friends and a few things in comman, i.e. drug addiction problems.  

Besides Negative Creep is a great song and i really don't think Slash, Duff and Matt care about stupid grudges from 13 years ago...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: