Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is it possible.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it possible.....  (Read 42788 times)
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 07:24:21 AM »

Hello all.

As most of us remember, back in the early 90's GNR basically was THE band....period.  I felt like a lot of people forgot about them after lies was released.   They ruled the rock world when UYI came out, now it seems like a lot of people have forgotten about them again. 

In your opinion, with the release of CD will they again rule the music world?  I sure hope so!

from what I've heard of the leaks, probably not no
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 08:00:38 AM »

I'm always converting people to GN'R and mighty succesfully, if I do say so myself  smoking

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 08:59:52 AM »

I'm always converting people to GN'R and mighty succesfully, if I do say so myself  smoking

Forcing people by beating them up doesn't count.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 09:03:48 AM »

Hello all.

As most of us remember, back in the early 90's GNR basically was THE band....period.  I felt like a lot of people forgot about them after lies was released.   They ruled the rock world when UYI came out, now it seems like a lot of people have forgotten about them again. 

In your opinion, with the release of CD will they again rule the music world?  I sure hope so!

Ouch!  I guess you're being honest at least.  Although I'm not sure you set the tone for the masses.  To each his own.  I would like to think that GNR could "rule the world of music" again, but I just don't know if that could happen.  It's a different time.  I don't know if ANY band could save the sorry state that the music business is in at this point.  But if they could it might be even more impressive than the first time around.  The music industry is that far gone.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 10:23:58 AM »

They won't be as big, not by a long shot-and that is not a putdown-I'm 35 and remember in high school and the UYI days-you have no idea how huge they were-it's like asking if Pearl Jam, Motley, or Van halen would beat what they were at their peak-I think they can make a great record that may sell well, but they will never create the furor of 88 til about 91-they were all over MTV-there used to be a Guns n Roses weekend on MTV-they would play Guns videos, interveiws, stuff-it's just a different time

libertad
Meanmachine22
Rocker

Trust me it's worth the waiting...

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 10:42:31 AM »

What we learned in the past is that it's basicly all about Axl. He is the last great Rock Star. A dinosaur so to say. He's like a ghost
I don't know if that is a good or a bad sign ...

Anyhow, in case this album will be released  Roll Eyes they will be very succesful again.
People will get curious about GNR again as soon as CD hits the street but i think it's doubtful that they would "rule the music world" again .

"when i say the time is right..well, than the time is right fuckhead!"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 05:52:26 PM »

First, pissing off your fans by playing the same setlist for 4 years or showing up hours late doesn't necessarily make you 'dangerous' or 'real.' 

Now you're choosing to focus on something that bothers some people who aren't at the shows instead of the real issue which is the attitude and being true to yourself.

You were talking about the attitude right?

Well, doesn't it speak volumes that the band is doing what they feel like doing instead of trying to please every miserable fuckhead on the planet who whines on message boards about some setlist played on the other side of the planet?

To me, that's not being a rebel, that's just being an asshole.  Again, my opinion. 

Exactly what the dangerous band called GN'R were called when you said they were dangerous. Nothing new there!

Did you forget about that?

The names might've changed, the attitude's still the same.

Second, as much as I love this band and will continue to support them, I do feel that GNR is more of a business than a gang of rascals that are set to storm the castle.  The 'fuck you' attitude is a little harder to buy when anyone and everyone attached to the project is forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement as if Chinese Democracy is blue-prints to a nuclear reactor.

And what exactly do you know about this since you state it as a fact?

When you start making money with your band and you don't have to work to finance your playing, it becomes a business. But does it mean you can't have integrity?

Compare GN'R to a band like KISS if you wanna talk about business....

Third, I would never deny that Axl does possess moments of immense anger, but will the youth buy into it like they once did back when he was a young man.  Getting in fights with Tommy Hilfiger and biting a security guard when you're in your mid 40s just isn't as appealing as it was when you're in your mid 20s.  Fair?  Probably not, but that's how it works.

That's the thing. Nobody is really expecting them to be that way.

As long as Axl is true to himself and the band keeps doing what they do best, it's authentic.

Age has nothing to do with that.

I won't disagree with you on this to a certain degree.  Axl Rose is the real deal; the others in this band will get their review once an album is actually released.  But none of them (well, with the exception of Dizzy) went through what Axl went through on the mean streets of LA in the late 80s.  And relative to what else is out there, I wouldn't argue that they're a more genuine animal.  But if you were to compare what GNR is today to what it was 15-20 years ago, I think you'll see two very different bands.  And not that one is necessarily better, that's a different argument.  I'm speaking about whether they will recapture what they had from 1988-1993. 

Recapture?

Why would anybody want to go back and act like an angry 25 year old?

Like I said, you don't have to have to be the same you were 20 years ago.

The thread was started 'cause the creator wanted to know what people thought of GNR's chances of regaining global dominance.  To me, I just don't see the same snarling beast that I once saw 15 years ago.  That doesn't mean that I don't love the band and look forward to the album (I've been waiting for 16-17 years now). 

And you think they can't because they're not angry 25 year olds anymore.

Everybody knows that.

I mentioned U2 as an example because they changed, people still buy their records and tickets to their concerts (even though many go to hear the classics).

They don't act like "angry young men from Ireland" anymore, still manage to be popular.

Same thing with Metallica. They're not exactly making Kill 'Em All over and over again are they?

I think that there's nobody like Axl in the business.

He doesn't have to be Axl model 1987 or model 1991. He's just Axl and it's enough.

I believe kids can see what's real and what's not.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »

Hello all.

The leaks don't sound like they were made in the 80's so that's no surprise
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »

Look, I'm not going to debate about which incarnation of this band was better or more real.  That's a very subjective matter and I for one have supported both bands.  But when you have Del James writing on GNR's own website:

"Axl has to do his vocal warm ups or else he will blow his voice out. Guitarist Robin Finck has to do yoga-type stretching or else he?s going to pull or tear a muscle again. Some of the band members need chiropractic adjustments or massage therapy. Others need to warm up on their instruments." 

... I don't see the band of old viewing yoga or a chiropractor as a necessity to get on stage and perform a kick ass show (though I'll give you vocal and instrument warm ups).  Moreover, I don't see kids of any generation going: "That's rock n' roll."

Cheers,

Andrew

What goes on before you take the stage? What actually makes you late?

The chiropractor we work with on the road tapes my ankles professionally. I kept twisting my ankles during shows, and it still happens now and then. I have weak ankles, always have. I used to run cross-country, and that was one of the things that got in the way of that. So I work with a chiropractor. I work with a massage therapist, because I put a lot of stress in my lower back, and with what I do onstage, there's a lot of rebuilding that has to be done. There's operatic voice exercise.

Axl Rose: The Rolling Stone Interview
Rolling Stone, April 2nd 1992, RS627

As I said, some things haven't changed....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 07:11:29 PM »

When I think of GN'R's return and how it will go... I keep thinking of Pink Floyd's successful return with The Division Bell in 1994, which reached #1 on both the US and UK charts and was supported by a very successful tour. As I remember it... the general public finally got over the fact that Roger Waters was no longer around (parallel to Slash and Duff?)... embraced David Gilmour's new vision (parallel to Axl?) for the band... and was basically just psyched to see a legendary band back making great music and putting on a great show. They also released a very successful live album in 1995.

I think that's a baseline minimum for how well things could go for GN'R... and it could be much greater than The Division Bell Pink Floyd era if Chinese Democracy is as great as it appears to be...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 08:12:34 PM »

Exactly what the dangerous band called GN'R were called when you said they were dangerous. Nothing new there!

Did you forget about that?

The names might've changed, the attitude's still the same.

Look, I'm not going to debate about which incarnation of this band was better or more real.  That's a very subjective matter and I for one have supported both bands.  But when you have Del James writing on GNR's own website:

"Axl has to do his vocal warm ups or else he will blow his voice out. Guitarist Robin Finck has to do yoga-type stretching or else he?s going to pull or tear a muscle again. Some of the band members need chiropractic adjustments or massage therapy. Others need to warm up on their instruments." 

... I don't see the band of old viewing yoga or a chiropractor as a necessity to get on stage and perform a kick ass show (though I'll give you vocal and instrument warm ups).  Moreover, I don't see kids of any generation going: "That's rock n' roll."

Cheers,

Andrew

I Remember.

This Very, very... Important In Artists Of This Quality

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 11:52:36 PM »

Cheers,

Andrew

What goes on before you take the stage? What actually makes you late?

The chiropractor we work with on the road tapes my ankles professionally. I kept twisting my ankles during shows, and it still happens now and then. I have weak ankles, always have. I used to run cross-country, and that was one of the things that got in the way of that. So I work with a chiropractor. I work with a massage therapist, because I put a lot of stress in my lower back, and with what I do onstage, there's a lot of rebuilding that has to be done. There's operatic voice exercise.

Axl Rose: The Rolling Stone Interview
Rolling Stone, April 2nd 1992, RS627

As I said, some things haven't changed....

/jarmo

Fair enough; it appears things aren't so different after all with Axl.  But he was just one one-fifth (or one-sixth depending on the year) of the band.  Other band members were also madmen possessed by their demons. 

I don't want to suggest that in order for a band to be real or rebellious they require track marks up their arms and found dead time from time in an elevator, but that's who GNR was back then.  Things could go bottoms up at any moment, you never knew whether this was going to be the last GNR show for who knew what reason.  I just never got that seem feeling from the new band.  Perhaps you did, and more power to you, but I  haven't.

Again, that doesn't mean I don't love the band and still don't cheer them on.  I'm not taking down my $3000 in GNR memorabilia off my wall any time soon. 

I'm just arguing that from my point of view, I just don't have that same kind of feeling from this carnation that I did about the last.  What made the original band special is no longer there for me, so because of that, I just don't see them reaching the same level of dominance they once did.  They're special now in a different way, but not in the same way that the original band had.  I love this band for different reasons, so please don't misconstrue me as trying to rehash a debate about whether the old band is better than this one. 

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
axl4ever
Opening Act

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 12:03:11 AM »

Will they big as they were back in the day?  No.  But no one is.  Can they make an impact, yes.  There's not much out there right now that's real rock.  And you have the people that are curious.  And the people out there wtg for something different.  I've said this before.  You get someone or a band with a hit single and than there are 50 bands/singers trying to do the same thing.  I don't think they'll be that much copy cat from new GNR.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 12:13:09 AM »

To My, All Line UP From 1985 To 2008, Guns N 'Roses have had something special.

love

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
axl4ever
Opening Act

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 12:21:26 AM »

To My, All Line UP From 1985 To 2008, Guns N 'Roses have had something special.

love

HBK *

Yeah, that do have something special and no one can say any different.
deep pocketz
Headliner

Lagada

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 09:32:40 AM »

1 album will not solve decades of incompetence. It would help them get back into the limelight for a year at most and then they would fade back out again just like all of these old 80's bands that make a comeback. The key is to keep pumping out albums, which we all know is not really going to happen.

Enjoy them for what they are. Who cares what everyone else thinks.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 10:04:04 AM »

then they would fade back out again just like all of these old 80's bands that make a comeback.

Why would you compare GN'R to bands that have never done anything close to what GN'R have?

It's like comparing the Rolling Stones to the Monkees.

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 10:23:23 AM »

then they would fade back out again just like all of these old 80's bands that make a comeback.

Why would you compare GN'R to bands that have never done anything close to what GN'R have?

It's like comparing the Rolling Stones to the Monkees.

/jarmo

rofl rofl  Jarmo, good one.   There hasn't been a band as big as GNR since GNR.
deep pocketz
Headliner

Lagada

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 10:51:47 AM »

I can make that comparison since THIS GNR band has done nothing so far.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 10:58:33 AM »

I can make that comparison since THIS GNR band has done nothing so far.

Make comparisons until your face turns blue, doesn't mean it's a fair comparison.

When you say nothing, does that include selling out venues and headlining festivals around the world? Maybe in your way of thinking, that's exactly what those other bands you're comparing GN'R to are doing?

These so called comparisons are often just a way for certain people to belittle the band.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 11:05:36 AM by jarmo » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: