Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:28:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Mike Patton/Faith No More--- AXL BASHING back in 92
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Patton/Faith No More--- AXL BASHING back in 92  (Read 20773 times)
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 11:19:47 PM »

I find it funny for all the bands/artists who have done their fair share of Axl/GNR bashing that none of them come close to the legacy that GNR has.? I doubt todays music fans would even know who half those bands/people are.

I wonder if a large part of all the shit talking was pure jealousy.

Mike Patton actually does alot of shows in smaller clubs now.  He just did 2 shows in NYC about a month or 2 months ago.   He has like a cult following now.   I agree with what you say about todays fans knowing who those bands were....I was in the FNM error and when my friend said he was going to see Mike Patton, I was like who?? LOL

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
RichardNixon
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 12:20:05 AM »

Faith No More werent exactly a club band when they dissed AXL....they had just come off The Real Thing which sold several million and they had headlined many stadium festival dfates in Europe.....The thing is GNR at that point had become like The Rolling Stones-this big rock show circus atmosphere and FNM were more the type of band that will hang out at a burger joint 10 minutes after a concert..........I think Patton doing the tour and then talking shit pushing the envelope took more balls than that junkie Cobain who declined to tour with GNR even though the rest of Nirvana begged him to do it

The rest of Nirvana wanted to tour w/GN'R? No way.

While some say GN'R became bloated later on, the thing you have to remember is it was just one stage in an ongoing metamorphosis. I wouldn?t have wanted the GN?R of ?92 to be the leather, big haired GN?R of the golden Ritz era. And remember, the huge band w/horns, ?the circus act? was very short-lived. In ?93, it was just the six guys, stripped down, even doing an acoustic break for the show. The whole ?bloated circus act? bit is overblown, IMHO. And for the record, I did enjoy that era. I love the horns especially in ?Move to the City? and ?Bad Obsession.?? ? ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 12:23:09 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
Dead Flower
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2006, 01:01:05 AM »

Mike Patton tells me he wants "to take a shit right on top of those TV screens, in front of tens of thousands of people."
hihi rofl :hihi:just made me laugh

Haha, Patton was obsessed with shit. While on tour he would take dumps in hotel air vents & hotel elevators.  hihi

Funny guy. And an insanely talented singer - possibly the best of all time, just for his sheer versatility.

axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2006, 02:27:41 AM »

Faith No More was a really great band, they were in my top 5 or 10 favourites for a long time. Patton was a great singer, but also completely out of control in those days. Obviously in this interview on some level he was trying to get kicked off the tour. If being the opening act on a stadium tour wasn't his thing, so be it. I prefer small venue shows, too and I know a lot of people hate the bigger ones, but it just makes no sense for a band like the Rolling Stones or GNR to play 60 nights in every city at a 1000-seat bar. It is just not feasible.

Oh well, who really cares if they didn't get along. FNM and GNR were both great bands.

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2006, 03:03:06 AM »

Breaking news: Somebody said something "bad" about Axl 14 years ago.

Zzzzzzzz............................

No shit, I read bout half of that and then a light bulb went off.

WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT FAITH NO MORE?

ARE THEY EVEN STILL ALIVE?
Typical response from another uneducated person. FNM was probably one of the most musically revelant groups of the past 25 years. They were in a class all their own. You may not give a shit about FNM, but there are tons of people out there who still give a shit about them and Mike Patton. He declined a VR audition to if memory serves. He does fine on his own, a FNM was a fucking amazing band live. How fucking old are you?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:18:22 AM by electricmage » Logged
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2006, 03:07:18 AM »

Faith No More werent exactly a club band when they dissed AXL....they had just come off The Real Thing which sold several million and they had headlined many stadium festival dfates in Europe.....The thing is GNR at that point had become like The Rolling Stones-this big rock show circus atmosphere and FNM were more the type of band that will hang out at a burger joint 10 minutes after a concert..........I think Patton doing the tour and then talking shit pushing the envelope took more balls than that junkie Cobain who declined to tour with GNR even though the rest of Nirvana begged him to do it

While some say GN'R became bloated later on, the thing you have to remember is it was just one stage in an ongoing metamorphosis. I wouldn?t have wanted the GN?R of ?92 to be the leather, big haired GN?R of the golden Ritz era. And remember, the huge band w/horns, ?the circus act? was very short-lived. In ?93, it was just the six guys, stripped down, even doing an acoustic break for the show. The whole ?bloated circus act? bit is overblown, IMHO. And for the record, I did enjoy that era. I love the horns especially in ?Move to the City? and ?Bad Obsession.?     

I agree, I don't think it was their best period, but it was different and worked on some levels.  And lets be honest, rock should be larger then life, not at the expense of the music, but if you have both elements, i think your'e getting your monies worth.  Everyone complained about the excess and then we got grunge.  Now look at what we have....pure crap extract.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2006, 03:15:44 AM »

While some say GN'R became bloated later on, the thing you have to remember is it was just one stage in an ongoing metamorphosis. I wouldn?t have wanted the GN?R of ?92 to be the leather, big haired GN?R of the golden Ritz era. And remember, the huge band w/horns, ?the circus act? was very short-lived. In ?93, it was just the six guys, stripped down, even doing an acoustic break for the show. The whole ?bloated circus act? bit is overblown, IMHO. And for the record, I did enjoy that era. I love the horns especially in ?Move to the City? and ?Bad Obsession.?? ? ?

I agree, I don't think it was their best period, but it was different and worked on some levels.? And lets be honest, rock should be larger then life, not at the expense of the music, but if you have both elements, i think your'e getting your monies worth.? Everyone complained about the excess and then we got grunge.? Now look at what we have....pure crap extract.

Just because you have the funds, doesn't always mean band should use it all to the fullest extent. Tom Petty has a shitload of money, but I don't see all kinds of added crap at his shows. I think those shows from 92 are ridiculous sounding and looking. Why they wanted to use those songs from 92 on the live era album is beyond me. The guitars are muddy, Axl is running around like a fucking moron out of breath. Two piano players, backup singers and Horns?
waxlrose1987
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2006, 09:09:59 AM »

I dont think they recorded any of the Appetite shows themselves other than marquee 87 so that explains why live era was mostly songs from 92-93.......the bloated circus act of 92 must have been influenced by the stones (remember in 89 axl sung on stage with them) keyboards, background singers, huge stage, horn players.......i do not prefer the circus act either but once the boys would rip into 'Nightrain' or "Its so Easy' you forget about all that extra shit.........................as for Patton and FNM, Patton seems to want to be the Johhny Depp of music, and yet he is releasing a 100 percent pop/trip hop album in 2 months called Peeping Tom which may be his way of trying to ge into mainstream..............I have a Patton JJJ interview from 1993 where he made fun of Axl coming up to him and telling him the song 'Midlife Crisis' helped AXL get thru "a lot of tought times"..
Disco Volante
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2006, 09:29:25 AM »

Are Faith No More still alive??? Nope - and the world has been a sad place since - sorry you missed out

I am still recovering from the Mr. Bungle breakup. Cry At least there's still Tomahawk/Fantomas and Peeping Tom is coming out soon. 
waxlrose1987
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2006, 10:27:16 AM »

ANOTHER FNM EXCERPT TRASHING AXL

Rip Magazine issue December 1992
Faith No More
Dusted
By Mark Putterford
Singer Mike Patton is the least beautiful of all. He shuffles from table to table in the huge catering tent erected behind the stage at Gateshead Stadium, the outdoor arena near Newcastle in the northeast of England where the Guns N' Roses/FNM/Soundgarden carnival has alighted this day, clad in the most stomach-wrenching pair of leather knickers imaginable--bought, he boasts, at an Iranian flea market in Paris and made from such crusty hide "it feels like I've got half a dead cow wrapped around my balls." On his feet are boots a gravedigger wouldn't be caught dead in; on his back an old rag masquerading as a T-shirt; on his head enough grease to fry a full English breakfast.

The 10 p.m. curfew at Gateshead means that FNM have to go on in blazing sunshine, and it's clear that conditions are hardly conducive for a classic perfomance. But as the band churns through "The Real Thing," "Midlife Crisis" and "We Care A Lot" into the guts of the set, they fall into a measured stride that once again seems at odds with their apparently disjointed delivery. This, after all, is the only place you'll encounter a deadpan rendition of the theme from the 1969 film Midnight Cowboy rubbing shoulders with a vicious spurt of hyperblur like "Introduce Yourself." And thus, what better as an encore than an alarmingly authentic cover of the Commodores' super-smoochy smash "Easy"?

It's 6:30 p.m. when Mike Patton slams himself the stage for the last time, and within a minute FNM are slumped across the leather sofas of a dressing room equipped with a sumptuous spread of food and several crates of ice-cold beer.

"I almost squirted shit out of my ass tonight onstage," confesses Mike Patton. "It was a real buttock-clenching time for a while. Shit, I hope Axl doesn't have the same problem tonight, what with him wearing those tight white pants and all."

"Hey," Bordin exclaims, "didn't Axl speak to Jim yesterday?"
"Naw, I think it was Patton," says Bill. "I think he said, 'Huhrrrmmmmmnnn,' as he flashed past with his bodyguards."
"I heard it was more like, 'Rrrraaaahhhggg,' actually," adds Roddy.
"Naw, I'm pretty sure it was, 'Huhrrrmmmmmnnn,'" protests Bill.
"Some guy sad to Patton, 'Hey Mike, Axl just spoke to you!' and Patton was like, 'He did?'"

By and large FNM feel they've been treated well on this European tour with Guns N' Roses, although there've hardly been many opportunities to hang out with their illustrious compatriots. As Bill says: "Touring with Axl has been like touring with Michael Jackson--although I think I've seen Michael Jackson more times on this tour that I have Axl!"
Axl aside, contact with the GN'R inner sanctum has been casual and cool. And walking around backstage at Gateshead, you get the impression that, incessant interference from the media and other unwelcome distractions aside, the atmosphere is a little lighter and more comfortable than when Guns visited Europe on the Get in the Ring tour in the summer of 1991. Last time it seemed you needed a laminated VIP pass to even be allowed to breathe in the vicinity of the band. Now everyone seems more relaxed, with smiling faces and friendly nods being the order of the day. Why, even a journalist stumbling into the Guns' dressing room looking for the toilet is forgiven with a shrug of the shoulders when once he'd probably have been mashed into pulp by a hit squad of hulking musclemen.

Yet despite the friendliness surrounding this tour, you get the feeling that the FNM chaps haven't exactly had the time of their lives on the trip; that somehow the whole concept of playing huge outdoor shows is at odds with the essence of the band's attitude and approach.

"Yeah, we're not the kind of band that's make for this kind of stadium show," explains Bill. "It's just not what FNM is about. It may be good from a business point of view because our record has just come out--what better way to promote it than to get on a big tour like this?--but if we had our way, we wouldn't be doing this. I mean, it's cool to be out there in front of a lot of people, but, man, the sound is shit, the place is too big, the crowd is a fucking mile away...it lends itself to more of a cabaret act--the kind of band that wants to indulge in all that theatrical bullshit, with costume changes every other song. I mean, we do change our clothes, but usually only once a month."

The whole sickly circus (just as intense and absurd in the U.K. as it is in the U.S.) that surrounds any GN'R activaty has made life pretty difficult to bear for FNM as well. Ask any of the band how they feel being at the eye of the hurricane, and chances are the inquiry will be met with an expression that suggests someone nearby has passed wind.

"When is this interview going to be printed?" asks Bill with a nervous laugh. "You see, I have to watch what I say. But, hey, fuck that, just print this: I hate the whole circus thing. We all hate it. But at the moment we don't have the power to do what we want to do, so we still have to eat a little bit of shit. We almost have the power to control what we do, but not quite; so we're just gritting our teeth and getting through it the best we can. Every band in the world might think they want to open for GN'R but, lemme tell you, it's been a real ugly personal experience having to deal with all the shit that surrounds this fucking circus. I've always hated that aspect of rock music, and I've never wanted to be part of it; so to find myself being associated with a tour this big kinda sucks."

"Besides," Roddy pipes up, "I'm getting more and more confused about who's who in Guns N' Roses, and it's blowing my mind. There's Dizzy and Iggy and Lizzy and Tizzy and Gilby and Giddy. Shit, man, onstage now there's a horn section, two chick backup singers, two keyboard players, an airline pilot, a basketball coach, a coupla car mechanics

In the background Guns N' Roses can be heard lauching into "Live and Let Die," and those still hanging in the FNM dressing room exchange silent smirks. Patton starts to cackle uncontrollably. They seem resigned to the fact that they're gonna have to put up with all this until October, when the awesome U.S. arena bill of Guns, Metallica and FNM winds down.

"This is really just the beginning for us," sighs Bill. "Last time we toured, with The Real Thing, I left home at the age of 26 and got back when I was 28. Some of my friends had moved away, some had gotten married, some had had kids--I had a hard time dealing with that. This time I'm 29, and I know I'm gonna be on the road until I'm 31. Fuck, I don't even wanna think about it."

Mike Patton shuffles back into the room with a pint of coffee in a transparent plastic container and the welcome news that it's almost time to get on the bus for the long overnight drive to London, where they'll snatch a few hours rest before heading on to some godforsaken German hellhole. GN'R will be flying down in their private jet. That doesn't bother FNM though--least of all the explosion-in-a-junk-shop figure of young Patton, who is, after all, just as happy playing with and promoting his side project, the mysterious Mr. Bungle.

"I can't see this band going that way," he grins. "We'd probably end up hitchin' rides to each town with truck drivers or something."

waxlrose1987
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2006, 10:27:55 AM »

HERES ANOTHER FEW

HERE ARE SOME MORE INTERVIEW EXCEPRTS OF PATTONA ND THE BOYS DISSING AXL AND GNR

Hot Metal Issue Mid 1992
ANGEL OF WEIRD
Angel Dust may seriously damage your mental health, but Faith No More's version is seriously good for your ears. Jeremy Sheaffe spoke with Mike Patton and Billy Gould, but still couldn't find out what a Jizzlobber really is

When we did 'The Real Thing'," exlpains Billy, "we had a tiny budget, we were broke and on top of that nobody really gave a shit about us. Nobody knew what kind of music we played and nobody could classify us. We were at a real disadvantage in those days, but now we're at a real advantage." Adding to the advantageous position the band find themselves in is the fact that all through June and most of July this year they joined Spundgarden as support to the metal circus that is Guns 'N' Roses' European tour. And then, from July 17 to who knows when, they'll be warming the stage for Metallica and the Gunners on their co-headlining jaunt around America. Rock 'n' roll or wot?

"Oh God yes," agrees the now sjort-haired Patton. "Its a total spectacle, a sick circus..."

And what part of this sideshow do Faith No More play? My guess is the freak show, or perhaps the clwons. I'm wrong again.

"We're not even involved. We're just watching it. Guns 'N' Roses are the circus... it's amazing... it's just a lot of money and way too much time to spend it in."

Referring back to the tour's carnival atmosphere and blatant excess, and hinting at Faith No More's unerring ability to be the fly in the ointment, Patton adds, "It's more like you see so many thing that are fucked up that you wanna say something - and we're already pushing it. The amazing thing is that everybody knows something is going to happen," he laughs. "By the time we get to the States, I'm sure something will have happened!" Mike didn't have to wait very long for something to happen. On the day of our interview, Guns 'N' Roses decided, two hours before they were due on stage, that Axl was "too exhausted" to play to 30, 000 eager fans in Manchester, England.

Billy says that kind of thing has happened every day, that the Gunners go on stage late "all the time. We wouldn't do it, so I don't know why it is. I'd like to know myself!"

So Bill thinks the best thing about being in FNM is travelling the world. And what about Mr. Patton? Unsurprisingly, Mile's answer is totally different to Bill's.

"I would have to say kiddie porn," he says without hesitation. " I received a video tape of child pornography once from a Japanese fan who was only a little girl herself, very nice and polite. She came up to me and said 'I hear you like porno, here's a present for you!' because in Japan that's the way they express themselves. So I was like, 'Wow, thanks!'
"I took the tape home and put it in my VCR and it was like 'Oh my God!' I didn't expect that at all, especially from a little girl. The fan who gave it to me was like a teenager and the girl in the film, she was probably 12, 11."..I dont know which was sicker, that video or watching Axl switch costumes 10 times a night."

Interview with Mike Patton during the Angel Dust tour
Ten Minutes in the Mind of MIKE PATTON
interviewed by Amy Raphael

Why do you go so mad on stage?
'I always feel a need to provoke, especially if we're supporting some band like Guns N' Roses and people aren't really listening. By insulting them, you make them at least look: it's the lowest common denominator. When I do flips, I always land correctly, I only bruise myself.

What makes you laugh?

'What a nebulous fucking question. Ha ha! I saw two people in a bar recently, really drunk and flirting with each other. My first instinct was "Oh my God!" 'cause I knew one of them. They were sitting on high bar stools and they were learning forwards, just about to kiss, when they fell off and crashed to the ground. Justice!'

Who were they?
'Axl Rose and Warren Beatty.'

Can we print that? Axl probably won't see it anyway.
'Oh yes he will. He has Axl policemen checking things like that for him.'

Rip It Up (NZ Music Magazine) Issue No.180, July 1992
By Tony Miller

This isn't how I imagined Mike Patton. The frantic maniac clad in a McDonalds uniform who drove an Auckland crowd into a slam dancing, stage diving frenzy now sniffles miserably down the line from London, overcome by allergies, exhaustion and the "goddamm shit English weather". But Mike Patton and Faith No More haven't got much else to be unhappy about.

Talking of such, how's touring with Guns n'Roses?

"We never have any contact at all. They seem to live in a whole different world so I can't relate to them. I can tell you funny stories and that's all."

Such as?

"A juicy titbit I heard the other day was that Warren Beatty was fucking Axel's girlfriend. I think he knoes because we had a show cancelled the other day and maybe - just maybe - that had something to do with it."
RichardNixon
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2006, 11:06:53 AM »

yawn.
GNROSAS
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2006, 11:31:32 AM »

"Besides," Roddy pipes up, "I'm getting more and more confused about who's who in Guns N' Roses, and it's blowing my mind. There's Dizzy and Iggy and Lizzy and Tizzy and Gilby and Giddy. Shit, man, onstage now there's a horn section, two chick backup singers, two keyboard players, an airline pilot, a basketball coach, a coupla car mechanics

hihi hihi rofl rofl
waxlrose1987
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2006, 02:22:59 PM »

suprisingly axl never had a rant about this on stage
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: