Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Have You Used Ear Plugs At Concerts ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have You Used Ear Plugs At Concerts ?  (Read 21006 times)
guscouto
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 06:04:17 PM »

wow!!
here in brazil i never heard about anyone that uses earplugs at shows... maybe is because the best shows are at football stadiums and therefore the sound is lower.... but i went to Silverchair, Premiata Forneria Marconi (progressive rock, italian band), Pitty (brazilian band that played Rock in Rio 4) concerts in a small hall we have here in Sao Paulo and had no problems with my ear ... i guess the sound must be much louder in North american shows! My friend is studying in Boston and went to one of GN'R shows and said the sound is unbelievable ... i envy you guys! ?Wink I wish i could see Guns n' Roses in a small hall and compain the sound is too loud! ?hihi In football stadiums the usual complaint is that the sound is too low !!

Anyway, can someone post a link so i can see what earplugs do you use ?? I want to see how it works for me... thanks
Adam_Guill
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 06:29:09 PM »

never go to a dave matthews band concert without good earplugs. otherwise you run the risk of listening to their music

the more you know
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 06:30:49 PM »

Why is this still in the main GN'R section? It has nothing to do with the band...

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
RIFF-RAFF
Headliner

I'm a special drunkard... I drink too much

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 06:33:59 PM »

Have you used ear plugs at a concert?? If so leave a comment about the experince and who it was.? Has anyone used them during a GNR Show?? ?

Not every show I have been to have I brought or needed to use ear plugs.? Recently I saw The Cult and I had forgot to bring some earplugs, it was so loud that it did not sound good and it wasn't as nearly enoyable as it could have been had I used earplugs (or if Matt Sourum was behind the kit).

I'm sure if you have been to a show or heard of someone say "It sounded like I was in a tin can", or "I couldn't hear over all the noise (screaming, too much treble, etc.) or "what? I'can't hear my ears a re ringing and they hurt".?

Wearing a normal foam earplug cancels out those sounds and you won't have a "ring" in your ears.

What it doesn't do, is make everything silent. In fact you hear MORE of the music, less of the drunk behind you.

My first concert wearing earplugs was a Megadeth / Suicidal Tendecie concert and man did they sound like crap with out them.

Concerts that I'v seen in the recent years where the earplugs came in handy have been:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Coldplay
AFI
Plain White T's
U2
GNR

http://www.ergoweb.com/news/detail.cfm?id=1063

http://scottppatterson.blogspot.com

http://www.ahc.umn.edu/news/releases/earplugs92905/home.html

Why did you go to an AFI concert Huh

"I was annoyed that Bon wasn't given the respect due when he was alive."

Brian Johnson

LESBIANS!
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 06:47:23 PM »

Im guessing this is probably a Bad Obsession topic, But ive never worn earplugs to concerts before, Ive wanted to a few times but decided not to because I've never seen anyone do it before...I might next time though

Edit: As i suspected this shouldve been in Bad Obsession

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 06:57:51 PM »

No
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 09:02:56 PM »

Yeah, at VR 1st time  (we were 2nd row  in front of speakers). But  the plugs  were  annoying so I took them out. Enjoyed the hell out of the show after that.
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 09:55:58 PM »

I have gone to 100's of shows and never wore them - everyone told me I was crazy because I was always in the front.  Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, GNR... even sat on the stage leaning against the speakers for one AC/DC show.  I used them when I took my son to see Def Leppard because we were in the front and was young and I was amazed at how much clearer you could hear.

Why don't you just....
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 12:10:52 AM »

Have you used ear plugs at a concert?? If so leave a comment about the experince and who it was.? Has anyone used them during a GNR Show?? ?

Not every show I have been to have I brought or needed to use ear plugs.? Recently I saw The Cult and I had forgot to bring some earplugs, it was so loud that it did not sound good and it wasn't as nearly enoyable as it could have been had I used earplugs (or if Matt Sourum was behind the kit).

I'm sure if you have been to a show or heard of someone say "It sounded like I was in a tin can", or "I couldn't hear over all the noise (screaming, too much treble, etc.) or "what? I'can't hear my ears a re ringing and they hurt".?

Wearing a normal foam earplug cancels out those sounds and you won't have a "ring" in your ears.

What it doesn't do, is make everything silent. In fact you hear MORE of the music, less of the drunk behind you.

My first concert wearing earplugs was a Megadeth / Suicidal Tendecie concert and man did they sound like crap with out them.

Concerts that I'v seen in the recent years where the earplugs came in handy have been:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Coldplay
AFI
Plain White T's
U2
GNR

http://www.ergoweb.com/news/detail.cfm?id=1063

http://scottppatterson.blogspot.com

http://www.ahc.umn.edu/news/releases/earplugs92905/home.html

Why did you go to an AFI concert Huh

hahaha did they die off?

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 06:37:16 AM »

never have - though regretted it when i saw Velvet revolver last year - slash hitting the high solo in Crackerman - dear god!? i was deaf in one ear for 3 days straight - that guy plays LOUD!
my friend swears by them - but I never have - I want to hear the full sound and move around the floor if its not good where I'm standing.

probably will do in the future if the ringing gets worse.

cant imagine U2 gig needing earplugs... actually, could be much better that way - haha!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:17:16 AM by babydolls » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2006, 08:09:12 AM »

No

and i'm not gonna at the concert i'm attending tonight either
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2006, 08:53:31 AM »

Used to go without earplugs - my hearing is still damaged from it

I always wear them now, they reduce the damage, and u can hear things so much better

Even with ear plus the gig is too loud

Dont know why bands do it - and as its proven exposure to 110 decibels for more than 15 mins damages your hearing - surely the band can be sued? No disclaimers were involved in purchase.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2006, 08:55:56 AM »

surely the band can be sued?

but it's kinda hard to prove that the damage came from the specific show aint it
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 10:40:50 AM »

well after going to see VR i lost full range of hearing for about a week and it was pretty scary so the next show i attended (dream theatre/megadeth) i brought some....but good god...the sound was terrible so i took them out, they were all that loud anyway so it's all good, the loudest concert i've ever been to is VR, it was insanely loud the PA cut out, and i've been to some pretty heavy duty concerts too, including pantera...nobody was near loud as VR...just a warning

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2006, 05:44:32 PM »

I haven't, but can see the benefits after Motley Crue in February and RHCP during their tour for "One Hot Minute" (you know...back before they sucked).? Crue was so fuckin' loud that you could hardly decipher anything.? I appreciate loud...but I'd rather hear the show than be impressed by the amount of sound you can create.

actually "One Hot Minute" was the only point in time The Chili Peppers DID suck....everything else has been way better...Dave Navarro was a terrible fit for them...
estranged88
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 01:43:59 AM »

Ear plugs are for pussies.  I was in the front row of a ManOwaR concert and i didn't  use ear plugs, that should be reason enough for no one to ever use ear plugs.

Why do you cook stove top in the oven???
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2006, 03:23:38 AM »

HOw do u people wear earplugs at concerts?

I put some in once at a KISS concert but it drowned out all the treble and my heart felt like it was gonna explode.

Ear plugs in my opinion ruin the concert experience cause it fucks with the quality of the music.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2006, 10:58:29 AM »

actually "One Hot Minute" was the only point in time The Chili Peppers DID suck....everything else has been way better...Dave Navarro was a terrible fit for them...

Actually, everything after One Hot Minute has been soulless pop shit. Californication is probably in the top 5 worst albums I own.

Ear plugs are for pussies.  I was in the front row of a ManOwaR concert and i didn't  use ear plugs, that should be reason enough for no one to ever use ear plugs.

Heh, I'm surprised you're still able to hear anything... Those guys play pretty loud, I remember one reviewer who complained about it and observed that as he went to the bathroom during the gig, the toilets were shaking up and down because of the music. I've seen them once too, but didn't notice the excessively loud volume because I was wearing plugs.

And yeah, I usually wear them, but there are exceptions; one time I was drunk at a club watching Amorphis and didn't bother to get the plugs out - my ears rang for a month.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 11:03:30 AM by Skeletor » Logged

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Chief
Legend

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2006, 05:22:26 PM »

I bought earplugs that only filter out harmful frequencies from a guitar store. those are much better than the normal foam ones because they protect your hearing better and you can hear things much clearer with them.
Most of the time its always better with these plugs in, except for acoustic shows.  I want to be able to hear for a long time so i always wear them to protect my ears (which have already been damaged!)

mine are similar to these:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2006, 11:03:55 PM »

Yeah, that ringing sound you hear after attending a loud concert... that's actually an indication that some amount of permanent hearing damage has occurred.  So, for those of you who feel compelled (for whatever reason) to attend loud concerts without earplugs... I would strongly recommend that you reconsider.

Personally, I always take a pair of soft foam earplugs with me (even if I don't expect to use them) to every show that I attend.  If the music is too loud or if the sound mix isn't clean... I simply put them in and they work wonders.   yes

Not only will they protect your hearing and ensure your ability to enjoy music for many years to come... but they can even filter out the sonic sludge of a really bad sound mix.  yes

If you're a music lover, you need to take care of your ears and they'll take care of you.  yes

Cheers,
W.R. 

For more information about the risks of hearing loss: http://www.american-hearing.org/disorders/hearing/tinnitus.html 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: