Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:09:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR should use a NIN-type approach to album promotion (MGMT. READ)
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR should use a NIN-type approach to album promotion (MGMT. READ)  (Read 4543 times)
bringbackadler
I don't know who's in the band
Banned
VIP

If you aint old school, kiss my ass

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 08:33:55 AM »

bring back the "one Tuesday this year" promotion.

that was great.

/bringbackadler

"Adler's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference. His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."? Izzy Stradlin
megahurt
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 08:34:30 AM »

The GnR marketing approach is very simple. It basically goes like this:

"WE MADE A SONG CALLED WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE 900 YEARS AGO, SO WAIT FOR OUR NEW ALBUM MADE WITH NONE OF THE SAME BAND MEMBERS, OK?"

It's totally stupid, but this site is great proof that it works like a charm. There's been no new music from GnR in well over a decade, and theres been NO music released EVER by this specific collection of musicians. Yet people are clamoring for it, hoping to relive the past.
gokken
Rocker

www.gnrsweden.com

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 08:35:51 AM »

just like gnfr.com  rofl rofl peace

Exactly! I actually belive that NIN got inspired by all the mysterious things that happend around CD so thats why they "leaks" tracks now and doing mysterious things on their site. GNR already did this but not by purpose but in some way it actually promoted CD:
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 08:44:15 AM »

The GnR marketing approach is very simple. It basically goes like this:

"WE MADE A SONG CALLED WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE 900 YEARS AGO, SO WAIT FOR OUR NEW ALBUM MADE WITH NONE OF THE SAME BAND MEMBERS, OK?"

It's totally stupid, but this site is great proof that it works like a charm. There's been no new music from GnR in well over a decade, and theres been NO music released EVER by this specific collection of musicians. Yet people are clamoring for it, hoping to relive the past.

I cant see how this is "great proof that it works like a charm". This is the first that ive heard of it and ive not got my head in the sand. If advertised on tv & radio I would have heard of it before now. A combination of traditional promo and the internet stuff would work best. If they are going to promote this album properly like Axl said then id think we can expect something a little like the NIN approach but with other forms of promo too.

"to live with fortune and fame"
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 11:36:58 AM »

Axl should not copy NIN, cause it would just be a lame ripoff of what Trents doing and people would call him on it and make fun of the Axl for it.  This album just needs to come out, and be promoted normally.  Trents games dont get non-addicts to buy his album, rather they make fans of his more excited, and more addicted to NIN.  The people who still pay attention to Axl right now are already addicts to GNR andalready will buy the album.  Theyve had 15 years to hype it up for them.  Trents doing something new, releasing an album 18 months after his last one.  So hes getting his fans excited about something new, which was pretty unexpected.  GnR is going to need to reach non-fans and former fans who would never take the time to try to figure out clues about released tracks.  The thirteen tuesdays, the gimics etc... arent what should be done.  The key is to get the name out to the masses, go on tv shows, get into a feud, do something that is very public.  Trents promotion is cool, but hes in such a different spot than Axl, he released a good cd a year and a half ago, he sells out arenas all over the US, and although he is not that much younger than Axl he is still seen as very modern.  The only reason I could ever see for making a giant riddle is if there was some huge secret that was being hidden, something that would interest even non GNR fans, and the only thing I can think that would ever do that is a reunion with Slash.  I dont want that, I dont think itll happen this decade, Axl jsut has to release this album before he gets any older.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 02:01:41 PM »

Trents games dont get non-addicts to buy his album, rather they make fans of his more excited, and more addicted to NIN.
Alternative reality game -campaigns like one NiN is pulling out atm are still fresh enough to spark hype and genuine interest among people who don't even know the band in question.
I'm not sure how much this will help album sales but at the very least it certainly does what a succesfull add campaign is supposed to do; this thread being a great example of it.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:03:26 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 03:49:17 PM »

i''m not saying that the promotion needs to have a bunch of riddles like NIN is doing (or like pink floyd did for division bell - so it's not just a "goth" thing), just that the band should try and use the internet in new/different ways, to their advantage.  the more I think about this the more i realize that it is highly unlikely.  unfortunately, gnr is a bit too old school for this, and really can't compete with the likes of NIN or Radiohead.

As I've said many times before, I don't really care how many fans CD attracts and how popular GNR becomes again.  But it would be nice to see the band do something different with this album.  we expect GNR to be doing things better than everyone else.  i guess we will see, but they need to hire management that has a clue.  merck was a disaster.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 03:52:31 PM »

Any promotion would be great really. I don't think it really matters what its like, as long as there is some.
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 04:47:45 PM »

I think they should pursue various different avenues of promotion, and while i support traditional means, i see no reason why they wouldn't use the internet to their advantage - because it's cheap and if it works it'll be effective.

That said, GNR's biggest asset is name-recognition and the publicity it will get. No matter what, Axl Rose is still a big name rock star, and the media hasn't forgotten that. Make this album and everything involved in it seem like NEWS. Publicity beats advertisement every time, and that's how GNR will get out there. What used to be the biggest band in the world is releasing it's long awaited and mysterious album - so it should be reviewed everywhere and mentioned all over tv. Axl was so quiet for so long, that if he does anything that sparks conversation, it'll be news, because he's Axl Rose. (That name recognition he has is a very select thing. Trent doesn't have that. People like Madonna or Elton John have that. People who make the news regardless of their music, but just because they are such big stars).
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »

viral marketing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

The NIN viral marketing campaign was done by 42 Entertainment: http://www.42entertainment.com/

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
gangs_n_robbers
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 11:20:43 PM »

im sure management is going to get right on this. thank god you instructed them to read it in the title.
Tim
Opening Act

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 11:51:32 PM »

using the internet is definately becoming a more realized tool for marketing, as long as its done right.  With many bands offering recordings of their concerts online or even live feads from the concerts, it is definately revolutionizing the music industry.  Haters bash me all you want, but metallica is one of my top 5 favorite bands.  When their last album came out (yea i know it sucked), they used a marketing strategy similar to this.  On their website they posted clues, kind of like a treasure hunt.  The clues directed you to different websites which had postings of a video of the band performing the songs in the studio.  I think it would be pretty cool if GNR did something kind of similar to this in the week leading up to the release.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 11:54:36 PM »

i think they should finish the record first...then worry about promoting it
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: