Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 11:41:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227860 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Matt playing bass question
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt playing bass question  (Read 6165 times)
whiteshark
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: September 17, 2005, 10:23:09 AM »

Hi!
Which's the show where Matt played bass in PC?
Thanks!
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 01:55:58 PM »

matt never played bass in a show
but in 93 (not sure, i dont remeber the show) duff anbd gibly switches intruments in PC and gilby plays bass nad duff guitar

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 02:01:16 PM »

matt doesn't play bass. period.

Fuck 'Em All.
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 03:01:08 PM »

Actually, before the Santiago, Chile '92 show, they show the band backstage and Matt is playing Duff's bass.
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 08:24:35 PM »

he plays bass.. in his solo record realeased a year ago... he played guitar and bass

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 08:43:57 PM »

Matt and duff would often swap instruments for the outro of paradise city. I couldn't give you any exact details (maybe have some on www.gnrontour.com) but to those of you saying matt never played bass or that he can't you are wrong. Not only did he play bass at the end of PC he played it on his solo record that he released last year.

(i have memorys of matt playing bass at the end of Oklohoma '92, but dont quote me on that)

edit Actually, you can quote me on that. I just watched the end of the show and matt and duff do swap instruments. The show is from April 6th, 1992 at the Myriad Arena Oklahoma. I'm sure there are others too, but that one for sure.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 08:54:16 PM by 2NaFish » Logged
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 11:27:40 PM »

I take it back.  nervous

Fuck 'Em All.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 11:42:19 AM »

I think most musicians (i play guitar n bass n some keys) can play multi-instruments.

wasn't matt the one who came up with the Set Me Free riff for VR?
GNVR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 12:20:22 PM »

wasn't matt the one who came up with the Set Me Free riff for VR?

Yes he did...
Evolution
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 12:47:15 PM »

Well done to Matt, that's an excellent riff
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »

Even his solo album is quite good.  yes

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
SumoWrestlerOfBeer
Opening Act

Bow to the conductor, bitch.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 03:29:25 PM »

Ditto to Matt's 2003 solo record, Hollywood Zen being good. It is. "Sunset Blvd." is my favorite track; it's a rather insightful piece (or at least, it's more moving than I would have expected from the self-confessed 18-year-old pussy enthusiast). And he plays everything on it (for the most part). And yes, he came up with the "Set Me Free" riff, which is actually one of my favorite songs off Contraband. A fairly talented guy. Like Duff, he can pretty much handle everything--drums, guitar, bass, and vocals.

Why don't you just...fuck off.
badapple81
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 05:19:17 AM »

Ditto to Matt's 2003 solo record, Hollywood Zen being good. It is. "Sunset Blvd." is my favorite track; it's a rather insightful piece (or at least, it's more moving than I would have expected from the self-confessed 18-year-old pussy enthusiast). And he plays everything on it (for the most part). And yes, he came up with the "Set Me Free" riff, which is actually one of my favorite songs off Contraband. A fairly talented guy. Like Duff, he can pretty much handle everything--drums, guitar, bass, and vocals.

Wow I didn't know this. I might download a couple of tracks and see what they are like. Set Me Free is a cool song.
SumoWrestlerOfBeer
Opening Act

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 03:42:49 PM »

I don't really know where you can download tracks off the album. It can only be purchased via Matt's website www.mattsorum.com (but that hasn't been updated in a while). If you are curious, I could put some up online via a yousendit file and PM you the links.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 04:17:58 PM »

it's not surprising that he can play other instruments. Drummers and Bassists generally set the timing for songs so they usually have a better understanding of music than Guitarists or Singers (From my experience anyway) Drummers usually get stuck with background vocals too so they have to be able to carry a tune vocally, a little bit anyway.

deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 06:16:31 PM »

I thought Matt's solo album was fairly decent. As someone posted above the track 'Sunset Boulevard' is pretty good. Matt's solo album kinda reminds me of a Gilby Clarke record, with hints of Stradlin's stuff. There was a rumour a while back that Tommy Lee was putting a record together with a handful of drummers that also played guitar and sang. Names mentioned where Matt, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, and Tre Cool . Now i think that would be a pretty cool record.
SumoWrestlerOfBeer
Opening Act

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 10:41:33 PM »

Definitely would be cool. Actually, Matt Sorum does back-up vocals (of all things) on Tommy's latest solo effort, Tommyland: The Ride, though I wouldn't recommend it except for laughs.

FlashFlood
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 11:44:26 PM »

ummm to the previous poster you may want to make note that it is Tommy Lee's album...not some other Tommy whom some people on this board may be familiar with.

ok

poop
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 03:03:57 AM »

I bought the album from www.mattsorum.com signed and all!

And yes, he and Duff switch intruments in Oklahoma.

sweechile
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 04:02:18 AM »

All you asshoes are fukkin ignorant!    matt, along with all his dryed up cohorts who couldnt write a fukkin song to save their lives, can only try to milk the name of GNR to try to further their dreadfull careers, much like the other employees solo records, ie.,  Buckethead,(great shredder Yngvie imitator, cant write a song though,),   Gilby,  (enough said).  Slash ( can only contribute to what others wrote, proven,),  Izzy ,  (boring as ever)   and current GNR Tommy (the worst piece of shit ive heard in ages, great Dylan imitator though)

Scott W.  came along at the right time, right place, to save a tired ole multi-millionare psuedo-punk/bar band.   Even with lackluster songs they have sold millions of records to people wanting the vibe of old GNR.  I saw it on an awards show where they played
'Pieces of Shit' live.   Duff and slursh started the intro by themselves, which was awesome, but went into a crappy song, which would have embarressed most musicians.   God,  cant you assholes see that?   dreamers keep on dreamin
badapple81
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 04:38:42 AM »

All you asshoes are fukkin ignorant!? ? matt, along with all his dryed up cohorts who couldnt write a fukkin song to save their lives, can only try to milk the name of GNR to try to further their dreadfull careers, much like the other employees solo records, ie.,? Buckethead,(great shredder Yngvie imitator, cant write a song though,),? ?Gilby,? (enough said).? Slash ( can only contribute to what others wrote, proven,),? Izzy ,? (boring as ever)? ?and current GNR Tommy (the worst piece of shit ive heard in ages, great Dylan imitator though)

Scott W.? came along at the right time, right place, to save a tired ole multi-millionare psuedo-punk/bar band.? ?Even with lackluster songs they have sold millions of records to people wanting the vibe of old GNR.? I saw it on an awards show where they played
'Pieces of Shit' live.? ?Duff and slursh started the intro by themselves, which was awesome, but went into a crappy song, which would have embarressed most musicians.? ?God,? cant you assholes see that?? ?dreamers keep on dreamin

Slursh? I'm not familiar with a musician named 'Slursh'?

Your post is about as intelligent as your post in the other thread.

I hope you are banned quick smart for your insults.
sweechile
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 04:58:18 AM »

Oh gunner..... I guess you not smart enuf to figure out who Slursh is?   I give 100 dollars to the
smart winner!   duh,

by the way gunner I like your icon picture of the Keyboard player in RinRio III with the Nazi hat.    you know who the
cool guys are don't you 
badapple81
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2005, 05:01:58 AM »

Oh gunner..... I guess you not smart enuf to figure out who Slursh is?? ?I give 100 dollars to the
smart winner!? ?duh,

by the way gunner I like your icon picture of the Keyboard player in RinRio III with the Nazi hat.? ? you know who the
cool guys are don't you?

I think you just embarrased yourself  hihi

Anyway, I'm not going to carry this on, as this isn't what the board is for. Good luck here.
sweechile
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 05:12:49 AM »

Oh little gunner... go hide under the Keyboard players kilt!   free balling!
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 05:21:23 AM »

sweechile, you sound like a 12-year-old with no brains. I suggest you to settle down or you won't last long on this board.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2005, 09:17:10 AM »

Oh gunner..... I guess you not smart enuf to figure out who Slursh is?? ?I give 100 dollars to the
smart winner!? ?duh,

by the way gunner I like your icon picture of the Keyboard player in RinRio III with the Nazi hat.? ? you know who the
cool guys are don't you?

um his avatar is scott weilaand not chris pittman  Roll Eyes

get a clue rofl

FlashFlood
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 09:36:44 AM »

sweet chile to say that izzy cannot write a song pretty much makes you the biggest douche on the planet.

....god what a douche

poop
SumoWrestlerOfBeer
Opening Act

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2005, 11:50:09 AM »

I haven't been on these boards for long, but I'm assuming "sweechile" is the village idiot around here?

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2005, 03:18:54 PM »

sweet chile to say that izzy cannot write a song pretty much makes you the biggest douche on the planet.

....god what a douche

If you think Izzy cant write a song...your favorite song by GnR would be? Roll Eyes

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: