Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:24:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227861 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  SPIN: Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy (April fools issue?)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPIN: Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy (April fools issue?)  (Read 13321 times)
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« on: March 27, 2006, 05:43:03 PM »

http://www.spin.com/reviews/magazine/2006/03/060323_gunsnroses/

Guns N' Roses
Chinese Democracy
(Interscope)
By: Chuck Klosterman

March 27, 2006

The endless wait is over.

It?s been a long time since Guns N? Roses have released an album of new material. Everybody knows this, but it?s a fact that bears repeating. If you purchased a kitten on the day that Use Your Illusion I & II arrived in stores, it?s probably dead by now. As a consequence, there has been a great deal of pressure on Axl Rose to deliver a record that would validate a 15-year, $13 million wait. There is really only one way for Chinese Democracy to avoid utter and absolute failure: It needs to be the greatest rock album ever made.

Chinese Democracy is not the greatest rock album ever made.

Oh, it?s certainly awesome, but I don?t think it?s "15 years awesome." Had Axl released his album after a silence of, say, 11 years and two months (at a cost of, say, $11.5 million), Chinese Democracy would be an undeniable masterpiece, but considering the circumstances, some of this work seems shoddy. I get the impression most of the 13 songs were written between 1993 and 1999, and Rose merely spent six or seven years touching them up in the studio. One is forced to wonder if a track like "Madagascar" was only recorded 75 or 80 times, which calls Axl?s alleged "maniacal perfectionism" directly into question.

Does Chinese Democracy offer glimpses of the paranoid, misogynistic genius we once heard on the soundtrack of Interview With the Vampire? Absotively. "The Blues" might be Rose?s crowning career achievement: It?s an epic combination of mid-period Stevie Wonder, early Elton John, and side two of In Through the Out Door. This is the kind of gutter-glam boogie ballad that makes "November Rain" seem like a bucket of burro vomit warming in the afternoon sun. Chinese Democracy is simultaneously propulsive and ponderous, and there are some electrifying guitar arpeggios on both "Silk Worm" and "Thursday Morning Strip Club" (performed, I assume, by either Buckethead, Robin Finck, Zakk Wylde, Johnny Marr, or Brian May -- all five are listed in the liner notes). But this transcendence is sporadic at best: All too often, Rose?s sonic neurosis plunges into self-reflexive self-indulgence, most notably on the outdated 14-minute rap-rock anthem "Pound You (Good)" and an embarrassing "roots rock" duet with new buddy Dave Pirner titled "You?re Still Too Sweet Not to Be My Baby Anymore." Several songs make thinly veiled references to the architect who designed Rose?s backyard topiary garden, a move that may confuse casual listeners.

Obviously, the sexy albatross hanging around Rose?s wiry jugular is simple modernity: Could he create an album that would sound contemporary -- and competitive -- in today?s ever-evolving marketplace? As such, it is hard to understand why he elected to have Chinese Democracy coproduced by Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd, Kiss) and Phil Ramone (Billy Joel, Barbra Streisand). Songs like "Catcher in the Rye" exhibit the sculpted sheen of Billy Joel?s Glass Houses, and the LP includes several tracks on which GNR bassist Tommy Stinson appears to be playing a note-for-note replication of the bass line from "Another Brick in the Wall." Skeptics might also bristle at the anger that still resides in Axl?s heart; his hairstyle and facial features have changed, but his inner intensity remains grizzly-esque. On the caustic rocker "Slash and Burned," Rose lashes out at his former bandmates now in Velvet Revolver with staggering specificity: "Your singer has cocaine eyes and a skeletonized trance / We?ll see if RCA recoups their advance." Rose has also retained his pathological distaste for the media, lyrically attacking the editors of Vanity Fair, MTV personality Sway, numerous teenage bloggers, and the city hall reporter for the Cincinnati Enquirer (who, curiously, has never written about pop music).

Still, Rose always possesses the potential to surprise us, as he does on a slightly reggaet?n cover of Thin Lizzy?s "Cowboy Song" and a faithful (albeit befuddling) version of "Think About You," a tune actually written and recorded by Guns N? Roses in 1987. But a deeper quandary remains: Does Chinese Democracy accomplish its goal? After all this time and all that money, will this album truly bring democracy to China?

I don?t know. I just don?t know.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 05:48:23 PM by Tkkyj » Logged
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:46:22 PM »

what the fuck?  confused

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 05:47:20 PM »

what the fuck?  confused

It was an april fools joke done by Chuck Klosterman, a huge GNR fan.
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 05:49:19 PM »

what the fuck?? confused

It was an april fools joke done by Chuck Klosterman, a huge GNR fan.

Ah, I better change the title quickly!

That was the first thing I thought until I saw the March 27 date Sad
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 05:50:53 PM »

I want the time wasted on reading this back.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 05:51:49 PM »

I believe the word is SATIRE. I suppose you must have some knowledge of the band to be able to make a Silkworms joke!!

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 05:52:06 PM »

This is obviously a joke, but I don't get it... Huh?

Edit: Ah yes, April Fools. I get it now. That's what confused me, I knew Chuck was always a huge GNR fan...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »

Satire: Fun for the whole family..........
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 06:06:57 PM »

It's not really that funny at all.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 06:10:23 PM »

Chinese Democracy is simultaneously propulsive and ponderous, and there are some electrifying guitar arpeggios on both "Silk Worm" and "Thursday Morning Strip Club" (performed, I assume, by either Buckethead, Robin Finck, Zakk Wylde, Johnny Marr, or Brian May -- all five are listed in the liner notes).

Jonny Marr's arpeggios on "Silk Worms" would be too good to be true.  drool
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 06:12:16 PM »

Chinese Democracy is simultaneously propulsive and ponderous, and there are some electrifying guitar arpeggios on both "Silk Worm" and "Thursday Morning Strip Club" (performed, I assume, by either Buckethead, Robin Finck, Zakk Wylde, Johnny Marr, or Brian May -- all five are listed in the liner notes).

Jonny Marr's arpeggios on "Silk Worms" would be too good to be true.? drool

yeah, that is for sure.. i really hope we would hear the final version of Silkworms someday...

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
McDuff
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 06:17:22 PM »

hihi That was so fuckin funny  hihi
gnr_12
Rocker

Nothin' Lasts Forever...

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 06:18:03 PM »

where the hell did he make up a lot of these song titles? lol.. hahaha a raggaetone and rap song... OH GOD

That goes for all you punks in the press, That want to start shit by printin' lies, Instead of the things we said, That means you, Andy Secher, Mick Wall ,Bob Guccione Jr.
Get In the Fuckin Ring Punks
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 06:28:30 PM »

that was great. Anyone who gets angry at that needs to have a look at themselves.
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 06:31:54 PM »

aprils fool jokes about CD start now!
(saul style Grin)

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 06:55:14 PM »

Lips Sealed

//JK
Elrothiel
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 07:02:10 PM »

Nice April Fools joke! hihi

Hey, ya know what they say!! Any publicity is good publicity! ok peace beer
ckniker
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 07:02:51 PM »

This thread should be locked. ?As I learned the hard way the other night its not okay to post anything that may poke fun at GNR or Axl. ? Roll Eyes Grin
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 07:03:51 PM »

How has he heard the album already? ?Does this mean it is coming out in April?

It doesn't give a full tracklist, I wonder if the other leaked songs are on the album.
JustWckd
Rocker

It happened in my lifetime!!!

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 08:18:22 PM »

thats hilarious

12/27/11 Phoenix
04/08/16 Vegas!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: