Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:36:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  SPIN: Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy (April fools issue?)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPIN: Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy (April fools issue?)  (Read 13390 times)
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2006, 05:26:44 PM »

people are bitching here about how it doesnt SAY in the article that its a joke...

It reminds me of the many people here that give release dates, rumors, and claim to have insider info without also saying "Oh, by the way, this probably isn't true because I made it all up."

The print edition makes it pretty clear that it is an April Fools Day joke. EDIT: so does this; they changed the publication date: http://www.spin.com/reviews/magazine/2006/04/060323_gunsnroses/

The funniest thing about it is how unsurprised people would be if it were totally true... that and the picture.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 01:42:02 PM by Tkkyj » Logged
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2006, 05:29:58 PM »

This is the kind of gutter-glam boogie ballad that makes "November Rain" seem like a bucket of burro vomit warming in the afternoon sun.

That is one of the most ignorant, idiotic, and downright stupid statements I've ever wasted time to read.

Nothing, NOTHING could ever reduce November Rain to anything less than perfect.

Take your Meds.. Axl will be in to tuck you in shortly.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
jonthehellraiser
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2006, 12:04:56 AM »

Guns N' Roses
Chinese Democracy
(Interscope)

By: Chuck Klosterman @ www.spin.com 

March 27, 2006 / The endless wait is over.

It?s been a long time since Guns N? Roses have released an album of new material. Everybody knows this, but it?s a fact that bears repeating. If you purchased a kitten on the day that Use Your Illusion I & II arrived in stores, it?s probably dead by now. As a consequence, there has been a great deal of pressure on Axl Rose to deliver a record that would validate a 15-year, $13 million wait. There is really only one way for Chinese Democracy to avoid utter and absolute failure: It needs to be the greatest rock album ever made.

Chinese Democracy is not the greatest rock album ever made.

Oh, it?s certainly awesome, but I don?t think it?s "15 years awesome." Had Axl released his album after a silence of, say, 11 years and two months (at a cost of, say, $11.5 million), Chinese Democracy would be an undeniable masterpiece, but considering the circumstances, some of this work seems shoddy. I get the impression most of the 13 songs were written between 1993 and 1999, and Rose merely spent six or seven years touching them up in the studio. One is forced to wonder if a track like "Madagascar" was only recorded 75 or 80 times, which calls Axl?s alleged "maniacal perfectionism" directly into question.

Does Chinese Democracy offer glimpses of the paranoid, misogynistic genius we once heard on the soundtrack of Interview With the Vampire? Absotively. "The Blues" might be Rose?s crowning career achievement: It?s an epic combination of mid-period Stevie Wonder, early Elton John, and side two of In Through the Out Door. This is the kind of gutter-glam boogie ballad that makes "November Rain" seem like a bucket of burro vomit warming in the afternoon sun. Chinese Democracy is simultaneously propulsive and ponderous, and there are some electrifying guitar arpeggios on both "Silk Worm" and "Thursday Morning Strip Club" (performed, I assume, by either Buckethead, Robin Finck, Zakk Wylde, Johnny Marr, or Brian May -- all five are listed in the liner notes). But this transcendence is sporadic at best: All too often, Rose?s sonic neurosis plunges into self-reflexive self-indulgence, most notably on the outdated 14-minute rap-rock anthem "Pound You (Good)" and an embarrassing "roots rock" duet with new buddy Dave Pirner titled "You?re Still Too Sweet Not to Be My Baby Anymore." Several songs make thinly veiled references to the architect who designed Rose?s backyard topiary garden, a move that may confuse casual listeners.

Obviously, the sexy albatross hanging around Rose?s wiry jugular is simple modernity: Could he create an album that would sound contemporary -- and competitive -- in today?s ever-evolving marketplace? As such, it is hard to understand why he elected to have Chinese Democracy coproduced by Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd, Kiss) and Phil Ramone (Billy Joel, Barbra Streisand). Songs like "Catcher in the Rye" exhibit the sculpted sheen of Billy Joel?s Glass Houses, and the LP includes several tracks on which GNR bassist Tommy Stinson appears to be playing a note-for-note replication of the bass line from "Another Brick in the Wall." Skeptics might also bristle at the anger that still resides in Axl?s heart; his hairstyle and facial features have changed, but his inner intensity remains grizzly-esque. On the caustic rocker "Slash and Burned," Rose lashes out at his former bandmates now in Velvet Revolver with staggering specificity: "Your singer has cocaine eyes and a skeletonized trance / We?ll see if RCA recoups their advance." Rose has also retained his pathological distaste for the media, lyrically attacking the editors of Vanity Fair, MTV personality Sway, numerous teenage bloggers, and the city hall reporter for the Cincinnati Enquirer (who, curiously, has never written about pop music).

Still, Rose always possesses the potential to surprise us, as he does on a slightly reggaet?n cover of Thin Lizzy?s "Cowboy Song" and a faithful (albeit befuddling) version of "Think About You," a tune actually written and recorded by Guns N? Roses in 1987. But a deeper quandary remains: Does Chinese Democracy accomplish its goal? After all this time and all that money, will this album truly bring democracy to China?

I don?t know. I just don?t know.

if this was already posted...i apologize.....just kick me off of here....if not...then...enjoy.....
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2006, 12:06:18 AM »

It's an April Fool's joke that's been posted 20 times already.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2006, 06:52:56 AM »

This is the kind of gutter-glam boogie ballad that makes "November Rain" seem like a bucket of burro vomit warming in the afternoon sun.

That is one of the most ignorant, idiotic, and downright stupid statements I've ever wasted time to read.

Your missing the point. He's not critisizing November Rain. It's an comparison that is exagerated for humour. He's saying the Blues is so good it make a classic like November Rain seem bad. Kinda like saying "girl A" is so good looking it makes "girl B" seem ugly. It doesn't mean Girl B is ugly just that Girl A is much better. As the article is a joke, it's obviously being sarcastic and so is an insult towards the Blues, not NR.

GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2006, 11:31:49 AM »

why is this article posted on brian mays website, i just saw it today .... sorry if its been asked already, but it seems alittle wierd considering everything thinks the article is a aprils fools joke

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2006, 12:11:45 PM »

Take your Meds.. Axl will be in to tuck you in shortly.

How witty.  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: