Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 11:55:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227860 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Reuters/Hollywood Reproter Review - Inland Invasion
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reuters/Hollywood Reproter Review - Inland Invasion  (Read 7128 times)
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: September 25, 2006, 02:13:45 AM »

I just came across this article... sorry if it has already been posted here.  Smiley

Cheers,
W.R.

Welcome to the desert: Axl & Co. rip it up
By Paul Gargano

The KROQ Inland Invasion in the desert east of Los Angeles may have been an all-day affair Saturday, but by the time the dust settled early Sunday morning, there was only one band that mattered.

Yes, the summer-ending festival hosted by America's trend-setting rock radio station featured many of the boldest and brashest bands of the modern rock movement, but when headliner Guns N' Roses took the stage shortly before 11 p.m. at the Hyundai Pavilion, everything old became new again -- and everything new on the bill, well, just couldn't hold a candle in comparison.

Make no mistake, Axl Rose knew the magnitude of the night's show, and few in attendance could argue that the iconic Guns N' Roses frontman didn't rise to the occasion. No, his vocals weren't pristine, but they never were. And topping a bill that featured as much screaming as it did singing, they didn't have to be.

With the pacing of the show impacted by the at-times illogical progression of bands, the day's preliminary highlights had been scattered. Buckcherry's gritty, glam-rock explosion would have been better suited prior to Papa Roach's punk-powered, radio rock riffs, as opposed to working between the hardcore screaming and emo teasing of Atreyu and the punk rock uprising of Rise Against. Muse benefited from playing after the sun had set, but other bands would have benefited more, as the back-to-back billing of the unassuming, prog-flavored U.K. power trio and the dark and dreary (though well-received) return of Alice in Chains resulted in a notable letdown in energy prior to the night's marquee attraction.

It would have been fitting for Avenged Sevenfold to have taken the stage immediately before Guns N' Roses, but the spacing between the Orange County heavy metal revivalists and their heroes served them well, as it gave the crowd ample time to forget just how similar its latest single "Seize the Day" was to Guns classic "November Rain." Papa Roach boasted the daylight's most anthem-heavy return to arena-rock splendor, frontman Jacoby Shaddix's over-the-top charisma offering a power-packed counterpunch to the memorable set of 30 Seconds to Mars, whose art house approach to hard rock opened with the band -- fronted by actor Jared Leto -- marching through the crowd with an army of flag-waving fans before taking the stage in China doll masks and ninja-white get-ups.

But the night belonged to Guns N' Roses. When the house lights dimmed a scant 45 minutes later than the scheduled set time and the opening shards of "Welcome to the Jungle" pierced the packed pavilion and shoulder-to-shoulder lawn section, the mood became manic.

The 19-song, 130-minute set featured all but three of the tracks from Guns N' Roses' classic debut "Appetite for Destruction," as well as four new songs. While Rose's ever-evolving band has become a punching bag for cynics, tonight they lived up to the band's storied past.

Lead guitarist Robin Finck injected a personality to rival Slash, even if his guitar tones sometimes strayed slightly from the originals (most notably during "Patience"), and keyboardist Dizzy Reed jazzed up "Night Train." One of the night's most memorable performances was "November Rain," which featured Rose on piano at center stage and Finck and guitarist Richard Fortus trading leads.

Former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach joined Rose onstage to tear through "My Michelle," and received a notably louder ovation upon his introduction than Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington, who joined Alice in Chains for their signature "Man in the Box." The Inland Invasion may have been a long way from the Sunset Strip, but the rock stars still ruled. Even the almighty KROQ couldn't have planned that.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 02:18:25 AM »

Awesome review!  YES!
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 02:22:05 AM »

Cool review has not that ''this is not GNR bulshit''... ok

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 02:34:44 AM »

Very great review! All we need is CD and this band can own the world! Doesnt Reuters go to all major newspapers?

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 02:37:25 AM »

Sweet review. Really nailed it on the head!

gnrevolution.com
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 02:44:54 AM »

excellent review  Cool  its good to see there is still some solid credible journalists out there.

love what they said about Robin.  Cool
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 02:45:33 AM »

Very great review! All we need is CD and this band can own the world! Doesnt Reuters go to all major newspapers?

yes it generally gets reprinted all over

great review!
Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 02:54:45 AM »

wow, now that's nice Smiley

It'll get sent to all major papers, but not many will print about this festival i imagine...

Now if it was negative, that would probably be different  Roll Eyes

Like peeing clouds!
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 03:32:50 AM »

Great review, thankx a lot ok

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
snooze72
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 04:00:10 AM »

This is particularly cool coming from former Metal Edge Editor Paul Gargano, who picked Velvet Revolver and Contraband the 2004 Band of the Year and Album of the Year. 

One of his oft-used quotse was: "... establishing themselves not only as the band of the year, but rock ?n? roll?s messiahs of the new millennium.?

So for him not to moan about missing the old band is pretty cool.

melissa
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 04:27:33 AM »

Thanks for posting it!
Reuters is big all over the world, i'm so glad it's a very good review.
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 04:36:46 AM »

Not that I want to shit on all the new wave of emo and hard rock bands, but notice how in the review, in comparison, they almost seem exposed. As if when up there with GN'R, people go "Aah, that's what rock n' roll is all about. I forgot."

Long Live GN'R!

Great post, WhiteRose!  beer
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 07:18:50 AM »

well great review

i saturday my city local tv station channel 9,made report about music,and some bitch was talking about gunsnroses,she said"gunsnroses are again on tour.they had sucessufull eurotour,but this band sucks.Axl rose lost his voice,and there are no energy"
I wasn't there(i was on football game0,but my sister listened this (she isn't gnr fan),and then calling me and said "where the fuck is your last gnr show",and then she burn dvd from rock am ring and sent to chanell 9,and wrote to girl (my sister was in scholl with her) "listen this,and after that talking.btw my brother saw them this year,and said that newgnr are great band"

I have never seen so many tree
PrettyTiedUp763
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 11:07:07 AM »

Wonderful review! Thanks for posting.  ok
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 11:10:06 AM »

What a great review! Completely the opposite from the Velvet Revolver loving one posted at Blabbermouth.

At least it sounds like this person watched the show. He didn't make reference to Axls vocals being bad on Don't Cry..... a song Axl didn't even sing like the one on Blabbermouth!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 11:25:22 AM »

Awesome fucking review!! Just reading it got me pumped up.  That was an important show for them because there were so many fans of various bands there, and I'm sure if they didn't like GN'R before, they do now.  It's funny that Sebastian Bach got a bigger ovation coming out for GN'R than Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, when he came out for Man in the Box with AIC. No offense to anyone that likes Linkin Park but I hate that Alice in Chains actually brought him out, what a waste.  But that's not what this thread is about, it's about the best live band in the world right now. I'm glad everyone that saw the show in person, had a great fucking time and made it home safe.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 11:29:29 AM »

Awesome fucking review!! Just reading it got me pumped up.  That was an important show for them because there were so many fans of various bands there, and I'm sure if they didn't like GN'R before, they do now.  It's funny that Sebastian Bach got a bigger ovation coming out for GN'R than Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, when he came out for Man in the Box with AIC. No offense to anyone that likes Linkin Park but I hate that Alice in Chains actually brought him out, what a waste.  But that's not what this thread is about, it's about the best live band in the world right now. I'm glad everyone that saw the show in person, had a great fucking time and made it home safe.

Look, don't fool yourself.  I love GNR as much as the next guy, but really try to stay realistic about things: The Loges were full when AIC played, the Loges were empty when GNR played.  Sebastian got a great ovation, but from 15,000 people, as opposed to the 40,000 that were there when AIC played.  GNR came on way too late, and everyone who paid $75.00 for Loge seats left because they could not hear.  Really was a bummer.  Wish I was down in the pit.

I should also note, that while there were tons of GNR fans and shirts there, So. California is not a great place for a GNR show.  The fans really seem to whine, and are quite weak.  Nothing like a New York, or Chicago GNR show!!  All the Emo kids, and fans around me were like: "ok, we got to here Axl, it's 1 a.m., let's go." and bolted.   Pretty lame, but it was a long day.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:35:54 AM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 11:32:09 AM »

Look, don't fool yourself.  I love GNR as much as the next guy, but really try to stay realistic about things: The Loges were full when AIC played, the Loges were empty when GNR played.  Sebastian got a great ovation, but from 15,000 people, as opposed to the 40,000 that were there when AIC played.  GNR came on way too late, and everyone who paid $75.00 for Loge seats left because they could not hear.  Really was a bummer.  Wish I was down in the pit.

How did 35,000 less people make more noise for Bach then the guy from Linkin Park?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »

They didn't.  Look at my past posts, I am a diehard GNR fan, but I am not delusional (I really cannot believe that some of the people that post really believe what they are saying).  I hate Linkin Park, but AIC was very well received and played to a full crowd.  The Loges emptied by the time Bach took the stage:  not like a few people leaving, like everyone was gone.   I was pissed at the crowd for being lame, but also pissed at how boneheaded the GNR camp is to think that on their comeback they can wait for two hours after AIC to play.  It pissed everyone off.  It's not like it was a hot day, and everyone had been drinking beer since 2 in the afternoon, and had to drive about two hours back to LA.? 

Watching the webcast, the band looked great, but sitting in the Loge, one could barely hear, and it lacked any raw power.
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 11:42:44 AM »

im glad when people can just accept the new band for what it is.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 11:44:09 AM »

They didn't.  Look at my past posts, I am a diehard GNR fan, but I am not delusional (I really cannot believe that some of the people that post really believe what they are saying).  I hate Linkin Park, but AIC was very well received and played to a full crowd.  The Loges emptied by the time Bach took the stage:  not like a few people leaving, like everyone was gone.   I was pissed at the crowd for being lame, but also pissed at how boneheaded the GNR camp is to think that on their comeback they can wait for two hours after AIC to play.  It pissed everyone off.  It's not like it was a hot day, and everyone had been drinking beer since 2 in the afternoon, and had to drive about two hours back to LA.? 

Watching the webcast, the band looked great, but sitting in the Loge, one could barely hear, and it lacked any raw power.

Why would an objective reviewer make something like that up then?

pasnow
VIP

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 11:51:38 AM »

Thanks for posting your viewpoint Minneapolis, sometimes there's two sides to every story. Sounds like they put on a good show, but to put 2 hours in between acts is pretty ridiculous.?

I remember during Lollapalooza's of the 90's the finale was the toughest act to make it thru, like you said with us drinking, standing & being in the sun all day since @ noon, by 10 or 11 we were beat. Plus, during those there was only about 20 minute intermission while the band set up. Live 8 had a strict rule, something like 10 minutes or so, then again, they were saying they'd pull the plug if the set went over 15 minutes.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:53:17 AM by pasnow » Logged
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 11:58:33 AM »

Thanks for posting your viewpoint Minneapolis, sometimes there's two sides to every story. Sounds like they put on a good show, but to put 2 hours in between acts is pretty ridiculous. 

I remember during Lollapalooza's of the 90's the finale was the toughest act to make it thru, like you said with us drinking, standing & being in the sun all day since @ noon, but 10 or 11 we were beat. Plus, during those there was only about 20 minute intermission while the band set up. Live 8 had a strict rule, something like 10 minutes or so, then again, they were saying they'd pull the plug if the set went over 15 minutes.

No problem, I was very down about the whole thing yesterday, until I saw the videos of the webcast.  I really, had a tough time hearing the show from Loge 6, row B.  I am glad I saw Muse though, holy shit!!  They are incredible!!  GNR needs to turn it up a few notchs in the larger venues!! 
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 02:13:53 PM »

Now thats a review I enjoyed reading! Good work lads!! Mike

inho
Headliner

Arnold? Who's Arnold?

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 02:59:10 PM »

about time there was a decent review
seems all media hates axl.
but even if you dont like the guy personaly the new songs are strong, the band is tight and axl sounds better than 2002.

lets hope for a few more reasonable reviews

If this ridiculous album ever comes out, I'm going to buy it 3 times.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »

Sorry to hear that Minny...but I was in Loge 7, and the sound was fan-freakin'-tastic! 
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »

Maybe both....but like I said a few posts above this, this has been going on since 91'....they would even give Slash and Duff shit....not just Axl......They suck dick for a living....it happens....err......so who's got the e-mail address?....I will send something and show you guys my e-mail and what he replied......

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »

Awesome fucking review!! Just reading it got me pumped up.? That was an important show for them because there were so many fans of various bands there, and I'm sure if they didn't like GN'R before, they do now.? It's funny that Sebastian Bach got a bigger ovation coming out for GN'R than Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, when he came out for Man in the Box with AIC. No offense to anyone that likes Linkin Park but I hate that Alice in Chains actually brought him out, what a waste.? But that's not what this thread is about, it's about the best live band in the world right now. I'm glad everyone that saw the show in person, had a great fucking time and made it home safe.

Look, don't fool yourself.? I love GNR as much as the next guy, but really try to stay realistic about things: The Loges were full when AIC played, the Loges were empty when GNR played.? Sebastian got a great ovation, but from 15,000 people, as opposed to the 40,000 that were there when AIC played.? GNR came on way too late, and everyone who paid $75.00 for Loge seats left because they could not hear.? Really was a bummer.? Wish I was down in the pit.

I should also note, that while there were tons of GNR fans and shirts there, So. California is not a great place for a GNR show.? The fans really seem to whine, and are quite weak.? Nothing like a New York, or Chicago GNR show!!? All the Emo kids, and fans around me were like: "ok, we got to here Axl, it's 1 a.m., let's go." and bolted.? ?Pretty lame, but it was a long day.

Man, this is some bullshit. First off don't think for a second that fucking Kroq and the crowd at Inland represents Los Angeles. The heart of L.A. isnt where Inland was. GNR playing at Staples, the Forum, and the Ampitheater, is where the "Fans" are all going to be all over GNR. Shit dude I didnt even want to go to Inland. Couldnt give a shit about the other bands there. I understand its important for GNR to get in good with Kroq...but Kroq never gave a fuck about GNR in the past...never, and I mean NEVER played them.

You wanted to hear GNR in LA you had 3 choices. KNAC, Pirate Radio, and 95.5. Anyway I am responding to this post because it is way off base. That is a real bad generalization of LA fans. Come on down to the Universal shows for an eye opener.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »

excellent review - its amazing how different journalists can have such opposing views of the same thing. Most of the reviews Ive seen on the net have been mediocre at best.

good stuff

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 04:17:47 PM »

I should also note, that while there were tons of GNR fans and shirts there, So. California is not a great place for a GNR show.  The fans really seem to whine, and are quite weak.  Nothing like a New York, or Chicago GNR show!!  All the Emo kids, and fans around me were like: "ok, we got to here Axl, it's 1 a.m., let's go." and bolted.   Pretty lame, but it was a long day.

Man, this is some bullshit. First off don't think for a second that fucking Kroq and the crowd at Inland represents Los Angeles. The heart of L.A. isnt where Inland was. GNR playing at Staples, the Forum, and the Ampitheater, is where the "Fans" are all going to be all over GNR. Shit dude I didnt even want to go to Inland. Couldnt give a shit about the other bands there. I understand its important for GNR to get in good with Kroq...but Kroq never gave a fuck about GNR in the past...never, and I mean NEVER played them.

You wanted to hear GNR in LA you had 3 choices. KNAC, Pirate Radio, and 95.5. Anyway I am responding to this post because it is way off base. That is a real bad generalization of LA fans. Come on down to the Universal shows for an eye opener.

That's the way it is Buddha, you tell 'em how it is!
melissa
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 02:32:21 AM »

from MTV:

At 10:50 p.m., nearly two hours after the previous band had left the stage, it was looking like those songs were going to come in handy. After all, something needed to calm the edgy crowd, who were booing, throwing full cups of beer (even at $11.50 each!) and starting fires in the lawn section.

Fortunately ? and fittingly ? just as another army of security guards was rushing in, the stage went dark and the familiar guitar riff of "Welcome to the Jungle" rang through the speakers.

Guns N' Roses treated the sold-out Hyundai Pavilion audience to a 19-song, hit-filled set featuring all but three tracks from Appetite for Destruction and only four new songs. There were a few surprises ? guitarists Robin Finck and Richard Fortus played an instrumental version of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful," and Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach joined in on "My Michelle" ? but it was mostly Rose doing what he does best: wailing, posing and snake-dancing to songs from "Sweet Child O' Mine" to "You Could Be Mine."

Axl's four costume changes were unnecessary and even the metal-mocking Sunset Strip faves Metal Skool don't solo this much, but it was still the kind of show you hold your bladder for. Watching Rose, whose rare banter was more geeky excitement than mysterious vanity, joke about their downloaded tracks and jump on to Dizzy Reed's grand piano during the unreleased ballad "The Blues" were must-see moments, even for the many musicians who stuck around to catch a glimpse.

"It's a dream come true for me," Buckcherry singer Josh Todd said backstage. "Guns N' Roses really inspired me when I was a youth."

"I wish I could go back to my 14-year-old self and say, 'Hey, you're going to be opening for Guns N' Roses,'" added Rise Against singer Tim McIlrath.

GN'R, of course, weren't the only anticipated reunion act at Inland Invasion, as Alice in Chains also entertained the crowd with a greatest-hits set.

full article here:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1541675/20060925/guns_n_roses.jhtml?headlines=true
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: