Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 02:51:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  finck: not the studio guy?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: finck: not the studio guy?  (Read 20619 times)
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2007, 11:46:08 AM »

Considering Robin brought Better to the band, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought in more material and contributed a lot to the album.

/jarmo

that's what i'm hoping... although all members say that everybody was contributing equally in the writing process, i really wish there's a "axl-finck connection" like there once was the axl-izzy-tandem (as far as songwriting is concerned). ok
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 11:49:47 AM by whiny » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2007, 11:46:39 AM »

Hell, if he was motivated by money, Slash wouldn't have left in the first place. ?Axl'd be like, "You know what, I don't care about musical progression... so let's just release what we know will sell every couple of years." ?And what they knew would sell of course, is the AFD-type stuff that Slash wanted to do in the first place.
bringbackadler
I don't know who's in the band
Banned
VIP

If you aint old school, kiss my ass

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »

Considering Robin brought Better to the band, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought in more material and contributed a lot to the album.

/jarmo

that's what i'm hoping... although all members say that everybody was contributing almost equally in the writing process, i really wish there's a "axl-finck connection" like there once was the axl-izzy-tandem (as far as songwriting is concerned). ok

I agree, for Axl /Finck to have the connection that Axl/Izzy do would be great.

It's hard to tell that connection from a concert. We'll have to hear democracy first. Unfortunately, I don't think that same connection will exist. But, we can hope.   Huh

"Adler's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference. His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."? Izzy Stradlin
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2007, 11:55:13 AM »

/jarmo

that's what i'm hoping... although all members say that everybody was contributing equally in the writing process, i really wish there's a "axl-finck connection" like there once was the axl-izzy-tandem (as far as songwriting is concerned). ok

i met robin in budapest last year and asked him if he had written more big guns or was holding back more of them (cause axl once said the big guns are being held back still), he just answered that "the cd is not even out yet". tommy answered the same question with: "i'm never holding anything back" with a big smile on his face.

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2007, 11:55:58 AM »

I'm can't be sure, obviously, but I'd say Axl, Tommy, Chris and Robin have a close working relationship where it comes to songwriting. ?I can see there being songs that were primarily written by Axl and Robin, and others written by Axl and Tommy, and yet other Axl and Chris. Smiley
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »

But deep down we all know Pitma...I mean Axl is the heart and soul of gn'r hihi

It's an amazing ability getting the best out of a player. I can hear parts of the gn'r sound in most of the members solo projects (old and new) but when they work with Axl something beyond that surfaces.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
bringbackadler
Banned
VIP

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2007, 12:05:43 PM »

I'm can't be sure, obviously, but I'd say Axl, Tommy, Chris and Robin have a close working relationship where it comes to songwriting. ?I can see there being songs that were primarily written by Axl and Robin, and others written by Axl and Tommy, and yet other Axl and Chris. Smiley

How old is that article that surfaced awhile back that discussed Axl calling Izzy to borrow the song "Down By the Ocean", or something like that. If that article was even close to being remotely current,? that could be a bad sign that Axl's writing w/ the current lineup isn't as strong as some suggest ?? ?Cool

/bringbackadler

"Adler's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference. His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."? Izzy Stradlin
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2007, 12:10:59 PM »

How old is that article that surfaced awhile back that discussed Axl calling Izzy to borrow the song "Down By the Ocean", or something like that. If that article was even close to being remotely current,? that could be a bad sign that Axl's writing w/ the current lineup isn't as strong as some suggest ?? ?Cool

/bringbackadler

Struggling to write the best album ever is hardly what I'd call bad song writing.

Listen to the leaks, all the proof you need.

bringbackadler
Banned
VIP

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2007, 12:21:50 PM »

/bringbackadler

Struggling to write the best album ever is hardly what I'd call bad song writing.

Listen to the leaks, all the proof you need.

I don't think you understand. I don't think the current lineup is unable to write good songs. You're right. The demos do show us that much. The point that I was trying to make is that if they are going to Izzy looking for music, doesn't that kind of say that Axl has been unable to completely do it without reinvolving guys from the past. I'm not saying this to start an argument. Just something to consider.

/bringbackadler

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2007, 12:27:29 PM »

I don't think you understand. I don't think the current lineup is unable to write good songs. You're right. The demos do show us that much. The point that I was trying to make is that if they are going to Izzy looking for music, doesn't that kind of say that Axl has been unable to completely do it without reinvolving guys from the past. I'm not saying this to start an argument. Just something to consider.

/bringbackadler

I fully understand, and yes, that might be the case.

But I still don't see how Axl searching outwards for help to create the best album ever is a sign of any wealness or inability. It's just trying to stay true to your vision, no matter what.

Either way, if true at all, that's just your interpretation. Axl reaching out to Izzy could stem from alot of different motivating factors.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2007, 12:29:25 PM »

Robin seems to have novel ideas. mm maybe axl-robin-chris have been quite studio bound?
I expect every members input to be heard on cd and its followers.  yes

Axl has stated in a past interview (2000, 2001. I believe) that one one  the major hold-ups with the album was trying to find a guitarist that could replicate Slash's sound

Where did he say that?  Huh
bringbackadler
Banned
VIP

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2007, 12:30:34 PM »

/bringbackadler

I fully understand, and yes, that might be the case.

But I still don't see how Axl searching outwards for help to create the best album ever is a sign of any wealness or inability. It's just trying to stay true to your vision, no matter what.

Either way, if true at all, that's just your interpretation. Axl reaching out to Izzy could stem from alot of different motivating factors.

I agree w/ you. I'm sure writing perfection IS NOT easy. I have absolutely no problem w/ Axl reaching out to Izzy for some inspiration. In fact, I completely welcome it. I think we're thinking along the same lines, just putting it different ways. ? ok

bringbackadler
Banned
VIP

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2007, 12:37:04 PM »

Robin seems to have novel ideas. mm maybe axl-robin-chris have been quite studio bound?
I expect every members input to be heard on cd and its followers.? yes

Axl has stated in a past interview (2000, 2001. I believe) that one one? the major hold-ups with the album was trying to find a guitarist that could replicate Slash's sound

Where did he say that?? Huh

You know, I hate when someone is unable to provide a source. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people at the moment. I BELIEVE (all aplogies if I'm wrong) Axl said it to Kurt Koder during an interview around 2000-2001. The question was "So, what's the holdup." Axl responded, "Slash !"

Can anyone help me on this one. I'd appreciate it. Even the way he said "Slash !!" was funny.

/bringbackadler

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2007, 12:47:30 PM »

I know he said "slash" but he didn't say he had been trying to find a guitarist that could replicate Slash's sound as far as I can remember.
bringbackadler
Banned
VIP

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2007, 01:00:55 PM »

I know he said "slash" but he didn't say he had been trying to find a guitarist that could replicate Slash's sound as far as I can remember.

Well, if you know what article I'm talkin about, go and read it. It's been awhile since I have. But, I do know that Axl did comment on Slash's distinct sound and he always knew that trying to replicate that same sound would be difficult. Those ARE NOT exact words but it is right along those lines.

/bringbackadler

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »

A Conversation With Kurt Loder (1999)

Rose: I originally wanted to make a traditional record or try to get back to an "Appetite [For Destruction]" thing or something, because that would have been a lot easier for me to do. I was involved in a lot of lawsuits for Guns N' Roses and in my own personal life, so I didn't have a lot of time to try and develop a new style or re-invent myself, so I was hoping to write a traditional thing, but I was not really allowed to do that.

Loder: What prevented you from doing, like, a traditional rock record?

Rose: Slash.

Loder: [Laughs] But you could have found another guitar player or something, right?

Rose: Well, not really.... Not to make a true Guns record. It's kind of like, I don't know, if you know somebody has a relationship, and there's difficulties in that, and Mr. or Mrs. Right doesn't kind of just stumble into their path, or they don't stumble across that person, they can't really get on with things. Somebody didn't come into my radar that would have really replaced Slash in a proper way.

bringbackadler
Banned
VIP

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2007, 01:02:54 PM »

Rose: I originally wanted to make a traditional record or try to get back to an "Appetite [For Destruction]" thing or something, because that would have been a lot easier for me to do. I was involved in a lot of lawsuits for Guns N' Roses and in my own personal life, so I didn't have a lot of time to try and develop a new style or re-invent myself, so I was hoping to write a traditional thing, but I was not really allowed to do that.

Loder: [Laughs] But you could have found another guitar player or something, right?

Rose: Well, not really.... Not to make a true Guns record. It's kind of like, I don't know, if you know somebody has a relationship, and there's difficulties in that, and Mr. or Mrs. Right doesn't kind of just stumble into their path, or they don't stumble across that person, they can't really get on with things. Somebody didn't come into my radar that would have really replaced Slash in a proper way.

Thanks, Polluxlm. I appreciate it.? ? ok

/bringbackadler

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2007, 01:03:26 PM »

Well, if you know what article I'm talkin about, go and read it. It's been awhile since I have. But, I do know that Axl did comment on Slash's distinct sound and he always knew that trying to replicate that same sound would be difficult. Those ARE NOT exact words but it is right along those lines.

/bringbackadler

well...  if i remember correctly, it was something along the lines of not being able to work with slash anymore and after him leaving trying to find an equal replacement or something like that.

that means a gifted guitarist, not someone copying slash

edit:  thanks polluxlm ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
bringbackadler
Banned
VIP

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »

/bringbackadler

well...? if i remember correctly, it was something along the lines of not being able to work with slash anymore and after him leaving trying to find an equal replacement or something like that.

that means a gifted guitarist, not someone copying slash

edit:? thanks polluxlm ok

I was not implying Axl was looking for a Slash copy. Unfortunately, that is not possible. If that was in fact what you were implying.

/bringbackadler
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:15:18 PM by bringbackadler » Logged

Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2007, 01:18:20 PM »

Thanks, Polluxlm. I appreciate it.? ? ok

/bringbackadler

that quote is a strange 1 from axl. he said he wanted to make a more trad Appetite type thing, but didnt slash say in an interview that he wanted to do summat hard and fast with very few ballads, but that axl wanted to go a different way?

see what im sayin? it seems they both claim to have wanted the same thing. but also diferent things. or am i makin a mistake in timing, as i know minds change over time sometimes. especially axls. he has been called fickle for that, but i just think he wants to do a lot, so its hard to focus.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: