Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:07:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When did Guns N' Roses become so fashionable? - Guardian Music Article
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When did Guns N' Roses become so fashionable? - Guardian Music Article  (Read 17243 times)
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« on: August 26, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »

When did Guns N' Roses become so fashionable?
It used to be that you'd never admit to liking Axl Rose's gang. But their appearance at this weekend's Reading and Leeds festival proves they stand alone as hard-rock hellraisers

There was a time in the early 90s when nobody liked Guns N' Roses. Well, obviously some people did, on account of the millions of records they sold and hundreds of arenas they filled, but it was a bit like weeing in the shower; no one ever admitted to it (aside from Manic Street Preachers, but let's face it, back then they'd have admitted to shooting JFK if it put them on the front of music papers).

So what changed? Perhaps it's the absence of St Cobain, Axl Rose's greatest sparring partner (sorry Slash), and the void created by the demise of the heavy-rock template which saw Nirvana demonstrate that the genre could be visceral and dangerous without having to write a song slagging off "immigrants and faggots".

Perhaps time is a great healer ? it's easy to forget Bowie's Nazi salute, Eminem's Tom and Jerry take on domestic violence and Macca's The Frog Song as the decades roll by ? especially when Axl Rose has spent the last 15 years essentially saying, "about that homophobic stuff? I was a prick".

But I'd hazard it's more to do with contemporary hard rock being so insipid and mumsy ? a place that is significantly more boring without an insane ginger tyrant screeching about snakes and guns and making clumsy metaphors for heroin use. In such company, Foo Fighters don't really cut it.

The recent internet hoax that appeared to suggest Guns N' Roses would not be appearing at Leeds and Reading festival this coming weekend was an effective gauge in measuring the change in attitude towards the band. Many friends I wouldn't have thought of as metal fans seemed genuinely upset they might not get to see them play; when festivals offer the opportunity to see a zillion bands you've seen a zillion times before, a Guns N' Roses headline set is the sole moment of risky programming within a format that so rarely books anything that isn't Kasabian or Kings of Leon.

There are plenty of reasons to celebrate the modern Guns N' Roses ("modern", because one look at the lineup will tell you this is not "the classic" GN'R). Firstly, they're not a nostalgia act ? if you've got a ticket, you're going to get Welcome to the Jungle, yes, but you're probably going to get Chinese Democracy's gleefully lunatic six-minute pseudo rock-opera This Is Love too. And anything that reinstates proper rock shows to festival headline slots (not two hours of getting foot rot in a grassy puddle while listening to a Greatest Hits CD) is just fine with me.

Secondly, there's a chance they may not even turn up, or at the very least go onstage late, like they did at Leeds in 2003 ? which is disrespectful to fans, sure, but it approaches the thrills and chaos you should demand from rock'n'roll bands (besides, what kind of person complains about going to bed late at a festival?). But it's not even that they may not turn up. It's that they may turn up and machine-gun everyone in the first 100 rows! Or set themselves on fire and play Chas and Dave songs! Or arrive via helicopter, descend to the stage on a rope ladder and just stand there sucking mints for two hours! They probably won't, but they could, and in a world where even the Libertines play a comeback show and turn up on time, I can't think of another touring band with such potential to surprise.

So if you're wondering why you're so excited about seeing Guns N' Roses play Reading and Leeds, try asking the modern hard-rock bands on the bill: who made the genre so boring?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/aug/26/guns-n-roses

Awesome article.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:28:42 AM »

Nice article.

Somebody gets it.

What other people whine about, this guy points out that it's what makes GN'R different. Which is absolutely true.

Obviously most fans know that GN'R are different. That's why we all like GN'R!

But there's a big group of people who have no fucking clue and assume all the bands are the same..... That everybody has read and lives by the "Rock N' Roll rulebook for the 2000s".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »

Haha, that was a good read. Even if he's not so kind about TIL, he sure points out how the band isnt a nostalgia act for the mid-30's or above. That's rock n' roll indeed.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »

Haha, that was a good read. Even if he's not so kind about TIL,

You know, that's not really a big deal.

I mean, the whole basis of the article is that GN'R went from cool to uncool and back to cool.

We all know how people work.

Does anybody honestly think that all the great classic rock songs from back in the day were immediately loved by everybody?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Lesley
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:48:26 AM »

Haha, that was a good read. Even if he's not so kind about TIL, he sure points out how the band isnt a nostalgia act for the mid-30's or above. That's rock n' roll indeed.

I read that sentence about TIL (a 'gleefully lunatic six-minute pseudo rock-opera') a little differently:  i.e. the author is British, and as far as I could tell, this was a compliment.

Overall, a really positive article I think.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:55:13 AM »

I read that sentence about TIL (a 'gleefully lunatic six-minute pseudo rock-opera') a little differently:  i.e. the author is British, and as far as I could tell, this was a compliment.

Overall, a really positive article I think.

Yeah I think he was being complimentary about TIL as well.

Great article.  Perfectly explains things.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:59:29 AM »

Well, still, my point was how the author was spot on about the band.

When they were about to tour Brazil, I suddenly see lots of people claiming to be a fan. And I sure remember when the same people thought it was uncool when I was downloading boots in 2002.

GW2
Opening Act

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »

Great rock n roll is built on danger, unpredictability, and immense passion. If those things do not describe Guns then I don't know what does. It is refreshing to see that someone in the press actually gets that!
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »

It wasn't cool to like GNR from about 93 - 99ish (grunge and alternative coffee house rock era), but Gnr's legacy was clearly renewed by the late 90s early 2000s. I liked the article, but the author forgot that in their peak (88 - 92) many, many people did like Gnr. They were the biggest, baddest, most dangerous band in the world. They personified the rock star lifestyle and had the music to set them apart from everything else at the time. People only stopped admitting they liked Gnr post Nirvana/alternative era. That's when being a big, bad ass rock star wasn't cool anymore.

Gnr's legacy was renewed once all the young people realized how boring and depressing 90s rock was; it became so stripped down and raw, that it started to become talentless. I think the turning point was the arrival of Kid Rock and Britney Spears. clearly they brought sleeze, attitude, and self destruction back to rock. Although I hate all the heavy rap metal, I think they were more Gnr influenced and helped eradicate boring Nu Metal. Bands like Limp Bizkit, LP, Rage Against the Machine, had a dangerous, sleezy vibe like Gnr. Now all the major acts love Gnr and the wild 80s. They either view Gnr as a classic rock band (a zeppelin or Aerosmith of their era) or  a really fun party rock band. Either way they love the 80s retro thing, e.g. Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean (cover Gnr at their shows), Kesha, Lady GaGa, Kid Rock,
All these young people run around wearing aviators and bandanas and brag about how much whiskey they drink and how reckless they are. It is obviously a throwback to Gnr and the 80s.

Regarding Kid Rock, I'm not saying I like him or his music, nor am I comparing his talent to Axl, I just think he is a key figure in pulling rock n roll out of the boring 90s rut. He brought the "rock star" persona back to mainstream culture (not necessarily the rock world). He became an iconic image and a household name (like Axl). Kid Rock made strippers, private jets, cocaine, aviators, long hair, big productions, partying, blues-based rock, etc all cool again. Whiny, sensitive, alternative music was boring, grunge was depressing and weird, Nu Metal was too bland; Kid Rock realized that rock n roll needed some danger and more anthemic songs (and more drugs and strippers). This occurred in the late 90s, and I noticed that after this point, it was cool to like Gnr again. Enough time had passed where rock fans started to either miss Axl or realize the absence of a true American Rock Star. Teens viewed them as classic rock on par with Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Stones, etc. Enough time had also passed where they acquired legendary status (VH1's Behind the Music I think solidified their rock star legacy to a younger generation). You could go to a high school party in 2010 and still find kids doing keg stands and singing along to Paradise City and Sweet Child O Mine right after an Eminem or 50 cent song.

Regarding Britney Spears, I am NOT saying she is on par with Gnr. She, of course, even dated a boy band member. But, she did bring back danger, sleeze, and dirty music. She was like a Madonna. She made it cool to be slutty, party, and drink. After her, we see the rise of Lohan, Paris Hilton, Shakira, etc. They drove fast cars, partied and did drugs. They sleezed up the mainstream culture in the same way that Gnr did, just not as authentic and pure. Gnr were the real deal whereas the new generation were posers and throwbacks, but they still brought back sleeze.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:33:19 AM by SkeletorSerpent » Logged
Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 10:19:25 AM »

Positive press?! What next? Axl on time at Reading and Leeds!  hihi

Seriously cannot wait till fucking Sunday. Just found out the Mrs is Pregnant with what will be our first child, so we're going to Leeds late just to see GNR, then off to manchester on 18th, seated but great seats, when my child is older I can let them know they saw/heard GnR twice before they were even born!!

I keep posting random bull shit posts at the moment because I can't beleive that I'm finally going to get to see the band I have loved since 1993!

When DJ starts CD I think I will either cum in my pants or start to cry, not both though that would just be weird!
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »

Good article.

Someone finally gets it. Yes, Gn'R can't be bargained with and yes, they can't be reasoned with. They bring the excitement and they bring the danger by not striving for it - but by simply being a genuine rock n' roll band. In these these times (practically the last 15 years) of goretex sock rock... Gn'R are a lighthouse in a dull, grey storm still.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:40:48 AM by Rainfox » Logged
Gracie2006
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »

Cool article. I bet if they tour the States, the media will come around and say how great Gun's is again and how they have been missed. The media loves to hype, tear down, then hype again. It's the American way!
scans n' copies
Headliner

I still say "OK, nevermind" when I hear s.o.d.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 10:53:23 AM »

Positive press?! What next? Axl on time at Reading and Leeds!  hihi

Seriously cannot wait till fucking Sunday. Just found out the Mrs is Pregnant with what will be our first child, so we're going to Leeds late just to see GNR, then off to manchester on 18th, seated but great seats, when my child is older I can let them know they saw/heard GnR twice before they were even born!!

I keep posting random bull shit posts at the moment because I can't beleive that I'm finally going to get to see the band I have loved since 1993!

When DJ starts CD I think I will either cum in my pants or start to cry, not both though that would just be weird!

Congratulations on the great news about your wife!!! Hope you two enjoy the shows.

Crying would be a lot easier to clean up though- Smiley

We finally got a U.S. tour!!!!!!!!!!!
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 11:04:11 AM »

The media loves to hype, tear down, then hype again. It's the American way!

So very true. Too bad (for them) that Axl isn't exactly known for giving second chances. And I immensely respect him for that attitude. And i mean respecting everyone by default but having zero tolerance for bullshit and lies.
Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 11:04:40 AM »

Congratulations on the great news about your wife!!! Hope you two enjoy the shows.

Crying would be a lot easier to clean up though- Smiley
[/quote]

Cheers man, really appreciate that. Ha yes, maybe my lass might prefer the tears too!
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 11:16:59 AM »

Great article, particularly about the set list. Quite surprised really coming from a major newspaper. Although I'd argue there is nothing 'dangerous' at paying ?85 for a ticket to see your favourite band and not having them turn up or turning up late and the plug being pulled 3 songs in. Having said that I'm looking forward to seeing them tomorrow night!

Here today...ready to rock
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 11:40:27 AM »

SkeletorSerpent you made interesting points but, rage against the machine released their debut in 1991. you can't really put them into a group alongside limp bizkit kid rock and linkin park, they were around a good 5/6 years prior.

they were almost split up by the time nu metal really came to the front and became majorly popular.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »

Good point, you're right, Alan. My mistake in clumping them together. I remember listening to their debut in my buddy's basement in 91. I knew their was something special about the album. I liked the aggression, political lyrics, classic riffs, and catchy vibe.

I forgot to add that the EMO, Screamo, and hardcore bands of the 2000s all seem to admire Gnr too.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »

This also reminds me of the difference between concerts.

It seems like when you go see certain artists, you get a show. And the music is not the main focus.

All these "great live shows" where you basically are watching video screens while the band/artist stand in one spot performing.

That can be great too.

But the difference is that a GN'R show is essentially a classic rock n' roll show with the added bonus of video/pyro.

The focus is still on the music and the performance.

I think that might "confuse" some people.

/jarmo

SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »

Good point, the "anti-corporate," "anti-rock star," "anti-commercial," "anti-label," "anti-glam," "anti-ego," "anti-hair band," mentality permeated the rock scene for so long that people were focused on just "the music." So, an entire generation of rock fans lost the whole rock n roll experience and the emotional journey of listening to an album. The over the top theatrics and productions, the larger than life egos were not considered "cool." Instead of an escape, rock music became a mirror that reflected back the pitiful lives of the average, disgruntled teenager. They didn't turn to rock n roll to dream of being big shots with hot girls, they turned to rock n roll to find a reflection of their own pathetic lives. It was so boring.  It wasn't cool to be a cultural icon. Every up and coming "rocker" just pretended to be an underground indie band that just happened to "make it big." They wanted to be the hero to the underdog, the losers, the skaters, the punks, the outcasts. "I'm a musician, not an arrogant rock star" they will tell the press. They wanted to be garage bands that preached to all of their fans "this could have just as easily been you." Bull shit. I don't want my rock n roll to be just another band from the streets or garages, average Joes like me. I want it to be big, full of pomp and spectacle  with complex song arrangements and eternal riffs that the average guitar joe and his buddies in the basement are incapable of composing. Good thing that whole era is over and people just like to rock now days. "Alternative" and "Modern" rock stations play AC/DC and Motley Crue right along with Radio Head and Pearl Jam. Rock in roll has become less judgmental and focused on labels and cliques.
The world will always need Guns N Roses.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: