Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:02:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's periods of hiatuses
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's periods of hiatuses  (Read 24897 times)
AFGnR
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: January 06, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »

I just love that Axl takes some well deserved time off and remains completely silent. A period of hiatus adds more mysticism I think.
  peace
Please discuss.  beer
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 12:49:45 PM »

Lost time is not found again.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 12:50:50 PM »

It seems like it's getting more and more rare to have people who are in the entertainment industry to just take time off. You have to keep everybody updated at all times to remain visible...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:55:57 PM »

It seems like it's getting more and more rare to have people who are in the entertainment industry to just take time off. You have to keep everybody updated at all times to remain visible...

/jarmo

This is very, very true.  With Social Media....fans expect to have instant, and near constant, access to the subject of their fandom.  And that's not just specific to music, either. 

And many "famous folks" provide it...in fact, some are almost famous simply BECAUSE of it.

I'm not saying it's the right or wrong way to conduct yourself....but it certainly seems to be the way things are moving.  Especially with the younger generation of celebs. 

An offshoot of that conversation is the ever shrinking attention span of today's consumer.  With the vast amount of content available, near instantaneously.....there's a reason why people are struggling to constantly remain visible, and in the public conciousness.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:57:29 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »

Axl's case is.... unique....

He was the biggest rock star on the planet... and then literally disappeared for 8 years at the height of it... and has done some unique things since re surfacing

so when there is again quiet with him... people get nervous

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 01:01:59 PM »

The crazy thing is that when he does poke his head out, its almost always news. 

And well received.  Its not like people hate the man.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »

The crazy thing is that when he does poke his head out, its almost always news. 

And well received.  Its not like people hate the man.

Agreed.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »

Yes, I kinda enjoy the fact that that he stays 100% out of the public eye when he is not touring.

Now days we get a few tweets, and stories he shares via music journals.

Still amazes me how theres only a coulple photos of Axl 1994-2000 era that surfaced and a couple from 2003-2005 and zero from 2008!

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »

He was the biggest rock star on the planet... and then literally disappeared for 8 years at the height of it...

Look at other people who were popular back then and what happened.
Some fans are quick to point out the "lost time" and whatnot. They don't consider how many artists haven't stepped away for a while and ended up.... Not so great.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »

Look at other people who were popular back then and what happened.
Some fans are quick to point out the "lost time" and whatnot. They don't consider how many artists haven't stepped away for a while and ended up.... Not so great.

That's a pretty defeatist attitude, no?

Artists have a very finite prime.  Not as extreme as athletes, but a similar principle.  Wasting large chunks of decades with no output is a strange use of one's time in the sun.

Now if "some fans" are going to grade everything a homerun, they will never see it that way.  But, I'm not sure how credible it is to heap the same amount of praise on a guy that has an album out every 2-3 years, or if he spends 8-10 years hiding under an afghan in his panic room.  If "some fans" take the position that every move was the right move, hard to find fault with anything.  Its all gold.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »

Artists have a very finite prime.  Not as extreme as athletes, but a similar principle.  Wasting large chunks of decades with no output is a strange use of one's time in the sun.

Now if "some fans" are going to grade everything a homerun, they will never see it that way.  But, I'm not sure how credible it is to heap the same amount of praise on a guy that has an album out every 2-3 years, or if he spends 8-10 years hiding under an afghan in his panic room.  If "some fans" take the position that every move was the right move, hard to find fault with anything.  Its all gold.

Actually, I disagree that artists have a "prime".  There are plenty of examples of older artists having a second and even third or 4th "wind" in their careers. Or becoming successful later in life, even.

I think it becomes more challenging, as you get older, to remain RELEVANT to the larger demographic of music consumers...because that demo tends to be relatively young. But I don't think its unique, or even rare, for artists to find ways to do it. 

Look at the whole thing going on with Kanye and Paul McCartney.......

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 01:58:08 PM »

Defeatist?
Some bands and artists I used to listen to about 20 years ago don't exist on this planet anymore. I wish some of them could have walked away and be here today.
Maybe I have a different point of view from you, but if an artist want to take a break instead of doing what you think they should, I let them.

But coming from people who can't seem to think of any reasons why somebody would like to walk away from the fame, it's not surprising.

/jarmo

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »

Lost time is not found again.

Please tell me you just didn't bust out Odds and Ends from The Basement Tapes? If so, nice.

Dylan is a perfect example of an artist who had multiple "primes" during his career.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
mortismurphy
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 04:41:19 PM »

While I agree that there are artists who have a late career renaissance such as, Dylan on Time Out Of Mind, Johnny Cash under Rick Rubin and Neil Young with Freedom and Ragged Glory, there is still a discernible 'prime' - usually when they are in their twenties and early-mid 30s. As great as Time Out Of Mind was, it cannot quantifiably compete with that, 'roll', Dylan achieved in the 1960s when he was putting out masterpieces year-by-year. You could make an argument that Sinatra was at his peak during his 'second' era, at Capitol records. Other examples are, Elvis 1968-1969. AC/DC who repeated the trick twice, once on the Razor's Edge and secondly, with Black Ice. You could also argue, The Stones with Some Girls.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »

I think it becomes more challenging, as you get older, to remain RELEVANT to the larger demographic of music consumers...because that demo tends to be relatively young. But I don't think its unique, or even rare, for artists to find ways to do it. 

Big time.

I think your relevance and viability sort of maxes out around 40-50, somewhere in there.

Thus, spending years 32 to 37 and then the years 40 to 43 in the federal witness protection program, you can't get that time back.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »

Defeatist?
Some bands and artists I used to listen to about 20 years ago don't exist on this planet anymore. I wish some of them could have walked away and be here today.
Maybe I have a different point of view from you, but if an artist want to take a break instead of doing what you think they should, I let them.

But coming from people who can't seem to think of any reasons why somebody would like to walk away from the fame, it's not surprising.

I see excuse making for what it is.

You are trying to go all heavy handed invoking death, disease, or whatever the fuck else in hopes we can stop talking about the near decade of his career our favorite guy pissed away.

Maybe someone will buy that, but he's not typing this reply.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »

While I agree that there are artists who have a late career renaissance such as, Dylan on Time Out Of Mind, Johnny Cash under Rick Rubin and Neil Young with Freedom and Ragged Glory, there is still a discernible 'prime' - usually when they are in their twenties and early-mid 30s. As great as Time Out Of Mind was, it cannot quantifiably compete with that, 'roll', Dylan achieved in the 1960s when he was putting out masterpieces year-by-year. You could make an argument that Sinatra was at his peak during his 'second' era, at Capitol records. Other examples are, Elvis 1968-1969. AC/DC who repeated the trick twice, once on the Razor's Edge and secondly, with Black Ice. You could also argue, The Stones with Some Girls.

Well said.

mortismurphy
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »

I think the problem with Axl is, when he did come back, between 1999-2002, he completely messed it up. You could make an argument that Axl had reasons for losing those years in the late 1990s because of the collapse of the old band. Also, he does seem to have been quite active. Most of CD - all the Tobias stuff anyhow - seems to have been written and recorded 1998-99. If Axl released his trilogy of all of this, it would have sort of justified the wait. What did we get instead? Another wait between 2003-2006 and 2008 for the first installment.

2nd and 3rd parts still pending!
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »

I think the problem with Axl is, when he did come back, between 1999-2002, he completely messed it up. You could make an argument that Axl had reasons for losing those years in the late 1990s because of the collapse of the old band. Also, he does seem to have been quite active. Most of CD - all the Tobias stuff anyhow - seems to have been written and recorded 1998-99. If Axl released his trilogy of all of this, it would have sort of justified the wait. What did we get instead? Another wait between 2003-2006 and 2008 for the first installment.

2nd and 3rd parts still pending!

I don't think he was truly ready in 2002.

And look, you can't turn back time, but its hard to say 2006 wasn't the window.  Looking good, sounding good, band was tight, leaks were generating buzz.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »

This just...has to be a troll thread..... nervous
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: