Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:07:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's periods of hiatuses
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's periods of hiatuses  (Read 24895 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »

In addition to all that...I will say this: If your record label is also your promoter...things happen VERY differently.  Those were the oddest contracts.  Typically the label handled everything and you just sat back, took the gate, staffed the concessions, and went home at the end of the night.

It was rare..but it happened.

ALSO keep in mind...part of your deal with the promoter could be for a cut of the back end.  In other words....you get your fee per show, but your additional isn't a flat cut of the gate, merch, and concessions.  It's a cut of the overall PROFIT from the tour.

Only really huge acts tend to do that...and GnR in that era would qualify. And, with the 3 acts, and their various needs, I can TOTALLY see them setting things up that way.  I doubt GnR of 2000 would do the same.

The venue wouldn't "see" that piece, though...so I wouldn't know one way or the other.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:51:51 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
mortismurphy
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »

I have heard a number of comments by Slash and Duff over the years, which state that the band were specifically loosing money on those parties. Apparently the Illusion tour barely made even until its final year.

Do you not have a favourite era - let me guess, this era? The era of glitter balls and flying pianos?

Not really favorite. I've enjoyed them all. The albums are like soundtracks of different chapters of my life. I don't sit here and wish it was the 80s again or something. Or think that was the greatest time ever and nothing could top it. That sounds pretty sad to me. Sounds like old people talk! "Things used to be better back....".

I don't recall going to see the band in 1991 and wishing Steven Adler was there to be honest. The show was great.

Same thing in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

/jarmo

Surely you have a favourite album? Although thinking about it, from what I know of your beliefs, I guess you probably haven't since the very act of having a favourite presuppose 'negativity' (since it would imply, not having favourites). Spread the positivity!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:15:24 PM by mortismurphy » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2015, 06:15:04 PM »

Surely you have a favourite album? Although thinking about it, from what I know of your beliefs, I guess you probably haven't since the very act of having a favourite presuppose 'negativity' (since it would imply, not having favourites). Spread the positivity!!

Wrong. But not because of my beliefs as you think you know.

It changes.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2015, 11:59:48 PM »

Do you wake up in the morning and look at the news, seeing a, terrorist attack, and go: ''must be neutral. I am positive. Must not have an opinion either way. Positive. Positive. Positive''? What about if you see a rubbish film like a Star Wars prequel? ''Criticising the Phantom Menace is negative behaviour. I prefer to look for the positives in life.'' Heck, you must have seen the odd rubbish Guns show in your time. Admit it. Even Slash - and this was when he was in Guns - has discussed some particularly awful show the band played in Texas. Do you actually turn to these people, Del etc, and act like it was the greatest thing since Woodstock?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »

Terrorist attack? I thought we were talking about GN'R albums.

My favorite album changes. It's not been one album since its release. Simple as that.
Got nothing to do with Star Wars or terrorist attacks.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2015, 09:22:16 AM »

I am just, generalising, trying to understand your way of thinking here (because I have never came across anyone who thinks like you in my entire life): absolute positivity, ''golly gosh, jee whiz, Guns are sure swell'' etc.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2015, 11:07:21 AM »

Thank you!

Coming from you, I really take it as a compliment.

/jarmo

mortismurphy
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »

I will give you credit, you carry the spirit of your convictions. There are some, on other fora, who believe you act this way merely to get your VIP freebies, but, having talked with you at some length, I actually think you generally believe this stuff, and believe fans should act this way.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »

The only think I believe in is that I think your act had some kind of base in 2005. When we had close to nothing to new to talk about. Nothing was going on. It's easy to be frustrated.

If you're still frustrated ten years later, only because it's not the 2002, 1992 or 1987 anymore, then I can't really see the point in all that.
Sorry, my understanding has some limits.

/jarmo

ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »

Unless Jarmo has reason to disagree with me, there is reason to assume that some new GN'R music could appear this year.

As a fan forum, can we not focus on the future, rather than biting each other about the past

That would be fantastic.  Here's hoping!  ok

Cool

So as part of a supposed fantastic future, what would your -realistic- expectations be. Short term and longer term.

If the band read the forum, you, and others, could make a difference

For this year?  My pie in the sky wish is that Axl & Chris were putting the final touches/mixing Chinese 2 back in November/early December, and that their final track selection for said album is currently being mastered under the radar for a Spring/Summer release.  Possible?  Of course.  Likely? Who knows.

It is pie in the sky, but it is a fun post, and food for thought.

Will there be older or newer tracks, who knows.

A random question, is the order of the tracks an important decision these days?

To me the order of tracks is important. I almost never listen to single songs, I love listening to albums so when the album flows from song to song and even seems to tell a continuous story like Chinese, for me it is a huge bonus.

As for what I wish I could have from the band this year, I think I speak for many people when I say that another album would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I wish Axl would talk more about CD. The little tidbit he shared about Catcher in the chats really blew me away and provided insight into the song that increased the value of the song for me. And of course, there was no possible way for me to gain that insight on my own.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2015, 09:55:06 AM »

I am just, generalising, trying to understand your way of thinking here (because I have never came across anyone who thinks like you in my entire life): absolute positivity, ''golly gosh, jee whiz, Guns are sure swell'' etc.

C'mon.  Its not exactly the riddle of the sphinx here.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2015, 10:44:04 AM »

C'mon.  Its not exactly the riddle of the sphinx here.

Says the guy who likes to think he has it all figured out.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »

Everything?  No.

This?  Yes.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »

Everything?  No.

This?  Yes.

Which parts do you have figured out? Cheesy

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »

When I first came here, one of the first things I did was go back and read as far back as I could.  Wanted to see how the delay played around here, as well as when the album dropped.

2004ish Jarmo and present day Jarmo are VERY different people.  A hard turn seems to have been taken circa 2006.  I've heard things.

Look, end of the day there is the general perception vs. a guy that doesn't' like that perception so he insists its all mistaken.  End of the day, we both are pretty sure we're right, correct?

Let's chalk it up to a win-win.  Neither of us will ever convince the other that its all a big misunderstanding.  Its not a fruitful conversation.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:12:31 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »

2004ish Jarmo and present day Jarmo are VERY different people. 

I sure hope so!

The difference is that people like yourself make up assumptions based on your own fantasies, when there's reasonable explanations for most things in life. You just choose to believe what you come up with based on those fantasies. When presented with actual facts, you refuse to believe them because in your mind, you can't be wrong.

Something pretty epic happened in 2006. GN'R toured and I got to see them for the first time since 1991. The band was active. And has been more or less ever since.
Very simple. 

For the record, I hope you're not the same person you were eleven years ago. I hope you've learned something that made you a better person in the past decade.... I can only hope.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »

Glad we got that cleared up.  I'm satisfied.

AFGnR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »

DJ says the band is on hiatus:

http://www.vh1.com/news/9039/guns-n-roses-on-hiatus/?xrs=CLASS_1pm
JeffK
Rocker

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2015, 08:59:17 PM »

I think he means they've been touring for 6 years, and they're taking a much needed break.

2006: Edmonton
2010: Calgary
2010: Saskatoon
2012: Las Vegas (x2)
2014: Las Vegas (x2)
2016: Las Vegas
2016: Toronto
2017: Regina
2017: Edmonton
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2015, 09:58:32 PM »

Since 2006, the only year they didn't tour was 2008, and that was the year we got Chinese Democracy. They're due for a break....

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: